Rachel Search

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Jan 29, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

First of all, not enough bodies and too much to do today to take pictures. Sorry folks.

The search continues. We really need volunteers badly. The more people the better and plan to keep a full scale search up through this weekend at a minimum, due to some new leads. If you can catch the local news, you should be hearing this information. I watched them film live for KVUE (Austin station) where this information was announced this evening. Channel 36 also filmed the search today. http://www.kvue.com/

Our keyword here folks is "Hope." We will focus on that hope until we find Rachel.

2. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Lurker

No - Rachel was taken, she did not leave willingly. There is a whole other thread, I am not sure why this ended up on it's own.

The search continues with a big push to have as many searchers as possible Friday-Sunday.

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Kvue Story On Body Found

Body found near Lake Travis not missing Georgetown woman

03/27/2002

KVUE News

A body found near Lake Travis is not that of a missing 19-year-old Georgetown woman, sheriff's deputies said this morning.
    ***clip
    This morning, investigators said the body was that of a man and was taller than Rachel Cooke.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/0327KVUEBody-jw.1791140e.html

5. AK

AK Member

For JR

I saw that you were wondering about the media -- then my screen froze and when I came back, I couldn't find that thread, so I'll post here...

Not that I'm "the media rep" but I think news organizations are in the same pickle as is law enforcement in Rachel's case. There is sadly very little to work with, lead-wise.

Also you'll have to admit that one of the things that drove the Ramsey coverage, besides that it was a homicide and the girl's family looked suspicious, was the enormous volume of photos and tape of JonBenet.

With Chandra Levy, it was the fact that she was in the life of a famous person --along with possible obstruction of justice charges-- that kept that case on the front pages.

Aside from those cases, the loved ones of missing people have to clamor for airtime and attention. It helps to think creatively.

In the current matter of a missing 13 year old in the U.K., a major pop star has made a public statement and is donating money from concert tickets to get out the word.
    When Polly Klaas went missing, Winona Ryder did local and national media because she was native to that area.

Xiana Fairchild, the seven-year-old Calif. girl disappeared for more than a year before her case was resolved (with the worst outcome), but during that time auctions with celebrity paraphernalia took place with sports, country music and comedy stars helping out, some from the area, others not.

In the case of Molly Bish, the 16-year-old lifeguard in Mass., someone got word to Steven Tyler of Aerosmith who is from that state, and he incorporated Molly's photo and the toll-free tip line into their website and at the beginning of each concert.

These celebrities didn't volunteer these things without being asked, but once they were, they were gracious and helpful. Getting stars to make media calls has more impact than when others do the dialing. Plus they can turn it into good PR for themselves. Its something that most celebrities would want to be a part of -- they just need to be made aware.

I don't know who are celebs from your area, but they're out there, I'm sure. If there is any famous person who had even a slight dealing with Rachel or her family, that's where you should start. Next think of those stars who Rachel really admired, and hit them. Plan a fundraiser with star merchandise. Get the star to tape a public service spot at your local TV station. Work with his or her management to make it happen.

Good luck!!

6. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

FedoraX

Thanks for the input. Actually, Austin is a major area for the music scene, especially Country.
    Local stars, Julia Roberts has (or had) a ranch not all that far from here. I am sure there are other "locals." There is a sports figure from Georgetown but I don't remember his name off hand.

7. AK

AK Member

Hey there

Might as well continue here, 'k? The PMs cause my laptop to freeze.

Julia Roberts is more connected with Smyrna, GA, although maybe in her Lyle Lovett days she might have been Texan. Besides I think she's too big for what you need. Lyle would be better, but he won't be performing for a while since his leg is broken into 20 pieces.

I don't know where your city is in comparison to Austin, Houston, Dallas, etc., but Sandra Bullock lives in Austin and her dad, John, is the CEO of her production company (and an ex-Pentagon official with top secret clearance), and her younger sister Gesine is the president. I'm blanking on the name of her company but it's probably on the credits of her film, or you could call the Austin city council or tourist bureau and find out. At least they'll put you in the right direction.

I'd go for music though, or NASCAR. There's one NASCAR guy who puts the faces of missing kids on his car. Bands tour and do concerts and can spread the word.

Call your mayor's office and find out what G'town celebs there are or have been. Also get your local and state legislators involved, if they're not already. Any chance for them to get their mugs on TV for something that seems noncontroversial is a no brainer!

In general, work your town, the system, local media. Gather up your video of Rachel, and if you don't have enough, get as many recent stills as you can, find a local editing house to contribute to making a nice little reel on high quality video, have dubs made and you'll have a press package ready for TV, and for encouraging celebs to get on board.

8. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

FedoraX

The Cooke's are putting togeather a video and did have one for the Inside Edition piece as well.

There has been discussion on getting the political folk envolved. I don't know where that stands at the moment. Maybe RC can tell us.

Georgetown is about 26 miles north of North Austin.

I read an article on Julia a year or so ago saying she had a large ranch in Texas (it was after the LL days.) As I recall it's in Smithville (SP) where "Hope Floats" was filmed (I think.) Boy - I recall, I think. I am sad aren't I?

9. AK

AK Member

Julia / Sandra

You could be right about Julia. But somehow I think she's not as likely as Sandra might be (you may remember I'm not a big Julia fan).

"Hope Floats" is the film Sandra and her family produced. If you get a copy of it, their production company name will be listed. It's a start.

Do you have morning TV shows like a local GMA? Every market has 'em. Delegate someone in your group to canvass each, and get the photos/videos to them so they can make a TV piece. Having the IE tape may be enough. I'm sure they did a great job.

Get the producer's names of those news and public affairs shows, TV and radio, and especially if you can get a star to agree to donate goods or services, and the Cooke family will appear, you're offering a very tenable package.

I think I mentioned to you also, get your local newspapers involved. Maybe this is already happening -- I haven't been able to read all the Rachel threads.

Don't forget your beloved Bush family (yes, I'm facetious, but I'm a Democrat). Get those bums off their butts and involved in the case. Since their daughters are 19, this should hit home. Maybe the twins can do something and call it community service. OK, I'll stop now...

10. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

FedoraX

Thanks for the infomration. Um...I think the twins are doing community service already. Something about underage drinking and more than one bust.

11. AK

AK Member

JR, that was my point!

They were both given community service to perform, and if they have fulfilled their duty I haven't heard about it. Hard to believe that wouldn't have been reported.

This issue really could be something one or both could embrace. I think Barbara is the one who goes to UT. Jenna has quasi showbiz aspirations, at least she interned recently at a production house in Hollywood, so I'd hit them both. So to speak.

12. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

This is excellent advice, FedoraX

Sandra Bullock would be great, but I'm not so sure that you are right about Julia Roberts (I like her, myself, but my daughter hates her (like you). I think Julia gets really worked up about things like this - I saw her on that 911 show the stars put together, and she was really emotional - more so than many others, I thought. Hey, what could it hurt to try?

What about state representatives in that area? I can tell you that around here, when someone wants something done, we start writing letters to our state representatives. Chit happens when we do that. It's just all so political, you know. Maybe that's already been done, though.

13. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Sandra Bullock

Actually my sister, Elaine, is trying to contact Sandra Bullock. I don't believe she lives in Austin but she still has close ties. Parade magazine did a story on her this last Sunday.

We actually did have another hollywood star who contacted "Unsolved Mysteries" His mother is a family friend and I don't want to take advantage of that. I have considered asking him to do a Public Service Announcement but all of those folks are very busy.

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Celebrities

Good ideas, FedX and all, about contacting a celebrity to raise interest in finding Rachel.

RC, I would personally call Barbara Bush. She is a grandmother. She knows what it's like to lose a child. She has time on her hands.

And, RC, go ahead and impose on that friend who has a kid in show biz. What are friends for?

15. AK

AK Member

Excellent idea, LXIV

Barbara Bush the First should definitely be asked to make a PSA. She may well do it, if she's not in Maine. She has amazing appeal and, like Lurker says, knows about losing a child.

And WY is right about hitting Julia Roberts -- can't hurt! -- and getting legislators involved. Every single one in the district should be hit, then outlying territories, in bigger and bigger circles. They can also be helpful in pressuring law enforcement for answers which family and finds may not get.

Were her friends and former beaus polygraphed? Is that moving along? Have you gotten local businesses to offer and advertise a reward? That's a good way to get renewed publicity.

RC, I also saw that Parade piece, which is why I mentioned SB. I'm pretty sure she lives in Austin -- her production company is there. It's not hard to figure out how to reach people -- it just requires someone sitting and doing it. Delegate!

I believe the Unsolved Mysteries series has long been off the air and what you're seeing on Lifetime are reruns. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I used to know the folks at Cosgrove/Meurer who produced it, but haven't kept in touch. I did notice recently that they produced an hour show for Fox called Postmortem which featured three forensics stories, one of which was the famous Henry Lee woodchipper case. I believe it was an unsold pilot though and just tossed onto the schedule without promotion, making it unlikely to become a series. Those types of series have a better chance at TLC, DSC and A&E, but the budgets aren't as hefty as C/M would like.

Like I said before, in a case where the evidence is as thin as this one, you will have a very hard time getting media attention, esp w/ these types of TV shows. You've got to develop some clues first. Did any leads come in after Inside Edition?

You might try is contacting the daytime talkers (Oprah, Rosie, Jenny Jones, Maury, Ricki, Montel) and find out when they're doing an assemblage of missing persons cases. Begin by getting local news coverage on every TV station, build a reel, and don't forget to hit the local radio stations too, AM and FM.

16. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Television and leads

I'm sorry to say that the "Inside Edition" story did not generate any new leads. Neither did raising the reward to $50,000.

Local businesses have contributed many thousands of dollars to the searches, reward rund, flyer copying and now the Run/Walk for Rachel.

"Unsolved Mysteries" is still being made. It's a cable TV show now.
    I have talked to their producer.

We are using radio to get the word out on the Run/Walk for Rachel. We didn't ever think of using it before and it is a very powerful tool. They are always looking for people to have on their talk shows and call ins. Of course we are using television, newspapers, flyers and the internet also.

BTW, the Run/Walk for Rachel was put in place to get Rachel back in the news and to honor her. As most of you know she is a cross country runner in high school. The donations will be nice to beef up the reward fund and help with the search and other cost but that is not what we are doing it for.

In case I didn't mention it I am also working with the former creator/producer of Real TV. (if you remember that show) He is working on a pilot called "Missing in America" and he will try and sell it to a network. That is a long term thing and may not ever make it on TV but it's something that might be national coverage.

That producer heard from another media company something like this: "I have found a great story for you. I can't believe only Inside Edition has picked it up". The word is getting out there!
    We are working very hard on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice