TCSO: Remains found near Lake Travis High are human

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", Feb 26, 2004.

1. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

11:52 AM CST on Thursday, February 26, 2004

KVUE News

Remains found near Lake Travis High School are human, according to the Travis County Sheriff's Office.

The discovery was made late Wednesday in a heavily wooded area near the school.

The terrain was so rough, a representative of the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office needed to use an all-terrain vehicle to reach the remains.

Late Thursday morning, a spokesman for the sheriff's office said the remains are, in fact, those of a human and that they may have been at the scene for more than a year.

An autopsy will be needed to determine not only the cause of death but gender of the person.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/022604kvuebones-jw.2d21acb1.html

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

What does this mean, JR?

I see this is in the Rachel Cooke forum, so is this location near where Rachel was kidnapped? Is this what you're saying without saying it?

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Okay

I see the kvue is from Austin, so, oh Lord, could this be Rachel? There is a registration page when I click on your link, and I hate registering for websites.

4. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I think it may be around 35-40 miles from Georgetown, WY, and I am assuming there is the possibility of course. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with Robert and his family right now.

5. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Frome RC's journal:

Thursday, February 26

Human remains were found this week near Lake Travis High School in Lakeway. That is about 35 miles from our house. I spoke with Travis County Sheriff Department's Roger Wade. He said that they don't look like Rachel's remains but the medical examiner still needs to run test to determine the age and sex of the person.

http://www.rachelcookesearch.org/journal_feb2004.htm

Sorry, I got sidetracked and never came back and posted what we do and don't know at this point. This is in the next county.

With the SO telling RC that they don't think this is Rachel, I have to believe they are guessing from the pelvic structure (or other) that this is a male or perhaps different cultural background. My next thought is that it could be Aravella Rodriguez. Aravella was classified as a runaway 6/27/2002. I never felt comfortable with that classification especially when she continues to remain missing. How does a 13 year old stay out of site for 20 months without help?

6. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

RC and Janet....

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family this morning....

Is this the lake that RC has talked about which was neglected as a sight that should have been considered in the intial weeks of the search?

Voyager

7. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Voyager, we have a lake here in Georgetown - Lake Georgetown, which was never dragged.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/george/lake_id.htm

We have searched the perimeter of the lake to the extent possible. Canoes were lined up to search the water edge (I believe for the second time) after we had some heavy rains but unfortunately the winds kicked up that day and RC felt it was unsafe to put the canoes on the lake. I was told the Army Corps of Engineers searched the lake perimeter (in and out of the water) in the first days after Rachel disappeared. RC would have to confirm that.

8. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Human remains partially indentified

Human remains partially indentified
    3/1/2004 5:22 PM
    By: News 8 Austin Staff

Police have partially identified the bones found last week at a Lakeway construction site.

The Travis County Medical Examiner's Office said the victim was probably a white or Hispanic male.

They said he was probably 45-to-55 years old and about six feet tall.
    ...snip

Police said the bones had been there for at least two years.
    ...snip

http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=99498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice