Open Letter To Jared Jacang Maher

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by EasyWriter, Mar 28, 2004.

1. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Mr. Maher,

Re. Article: “The dead (web) posters society
    Boulder’s most notorious murder lives on in a heady web world of
    memorial pages, message boards and cyber-sleuth stomping groundsâ€

Your article in focus presumes to evaluate in a blanket manner
    the forums wherein the Ramsey case is discussed. Selected as a
    representative sampling is the following:

“The way it works: on ezboard.com, one user posts a new subject
    thread called "JonBenet’s bike!" theorizing the girl’s death as
    an elaborate cover-up of a bicycle accident (sexual injuries
    found on the victim’s body are attributed to the bike’s
    crossbar). Other members then log in comments below,
    brainstorming other possible sources if the injury.

"I wonder if in some of her dance routines JB did the splits?"
    says "Sophiered," who has posted more than 1,200 times since last
    year.â€

Granted, this theory is pretty far out, but guess what, it’s in
    the realm of physical possibility. How about the following from
    one of the many RST Crockumentaries:

Lou Smit: "The stun gun that we came up with is this one and it’s
    the Air Taser stun gun. When the stun gun is energized you see a
    light blue mark and if you look closely at the blow-up you'll see
    a light blue mark extending from one of the marks to the other on
    the back of JonBenét."

Possible? Not on this planet. The blue color of the arc, derived
    from high voltage ionization of air molecules, transferring to
    skin is certainly more absurd than the bicycle story; yet, I see
    no mention of this in the media, nor is anything said about other
    fairy tale “evidence†concocted by the ignorance and imagination
    of Lou Smit, et al.

This prompts questions: Mr. Maher, since you were
    contrasting\comparing forum theories and LE theories, how come I
    don’t see any LE quotes such as above? If LE investigative
    prowess is so much greater than the “cybersleuthsâ€, why is it
    they have nothing but empty words to show the alleged
    investigative superiority?

"We never really pay any attention to them," Boulder Police Chief
    Mark Beckner says. "Most of the stuff on those websites are
    things that have been made public anyways and there’s certainly
    nothing that they have that we don’t have in terms of information
    and reports and stuff like that." He later adds, "I find it hard
    to believe that people find the time to do that."

Mr. Maher, were it not a tragic situation, Beckner’s remarks
    would be amusing; contemptible, but amusing. Mr. Beckner and LE
    in general have spent over two million dollars of taxpayer money
    over a period of more than seven years and have exactly nothing
    to show for it. Talk about forgetting to look in a mirror before
    going on stage!

As for characterization of the forums as mostly housewives who
    have nothing better to do, a brief reminder of something: 1.
    Truth is not source dependent. 2. One of the most successful
    stock market investment groups in the country is not Dean
    “Wittierâ€, nor Smith Barney. It is a group of “little old ladiesâ€
    who “have nothing better to do.â€

I am a 71 year old retired male and do not fit into the
    aforementioned group, but am damned sick and tired of the
    illusion of categorical identity, including the nonsense of
    “gender mentality.†Your negative, catch-all depiction of the
    forums’ personnel reveals an absurd dependence upon “authorityâ€
    for “truth†rather than focus upon the facts.

I came into the case late (March, 2000) and have made several
    posts. Some are now archived at:

http://www.acandyrose.com/05202003keenanletter.htm
    http://www.acandyrose.com/delmarengland.htm

How about some quotes from these posts and see what Mr. Beckner,
    Ms. Keenan, Lou Smit, or any of the other seven-year-failure
    “professionals†have to say?

It’s not going to happen is it? Media propaganda orchestrated by
    the RST (Ramsey Spin Team) has saturated the news\editorial
    environment from the beginning. It has been and still is fallacy
    feeding on fallacy with all declared to be truth. Your article is
    no exception.

Where did you get the notion, “notorious murder?†Certainly, not
    from the facts. How about accident and coverup? Did you explore
    this possibility? Murder by an intruder? Give me a break! There
    is not a iota of evidence that even remotely suggest such a
    happening; which is precisely why over two million dollars has
    been spent with zero results.

To be sure, you dare not bad mouth Mr. Wood’s clients lest you
    and your newspaper be sued. The essence of ownership is control.
    This places Wood and the Ramseys the de facto owners of the main
    media as pertains to the case. How pitiful.

Spare me the word dance rhetoric and excuses. I’ve heard them
    all. It’s just that I found your article insultingly
    condescending, so just wanted to remind you of an old adage: The
    problem with jumping to conclusions is that they often jump back.

Delmar England

2. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Applause, Applause!

Excellent retort, Easy Writer.

Maher's article was lame. No way do the hundreds of us fit into that little pigeonhole Maher has carved out for us.

We represent many professions, many age groups, many levels of higher education, etc.

The article was glib and condescending, and did not even begin to scratch the surface of the complexity, originality, and brilliance of many of the crime and justice boards and their prolific writers.

P.S. to Jared--I am not dead!

3. Elle

Elle Member

Excellent letter!

Well said, Delmar!

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Ya know?

Hey Lurker, how many outstanding, law-abiding, successful children did you raise? I raised three. They are smart. One is in law enforcement. She'd not dare tell me her thinking is superior to mine, because she knows better. I even worked practically the whole time I was raising my kids. That takes skill, smarts, devotion, and investigative abilities that would rival any detective now on that ridiculous investigative team Keenan has assembled. In fact, I'd like to see any of them keep up with the women on this forum who have successful careers, raise a family, keep a hubby happy, or not, keep a home, pay the bills, further their educations, and still have the time to be interested in finding justice for the JonBenets of this world.

I very much agree with EasyWriter's letter and second everything he said.

5. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Great Comeback Easywriter!

Your defense of us and our forum is substantial and right on target using the facts as they currently exist....Why is it so difficult for the authorities in Boulder to view this case and their own involvement in it with any objectivity?

One more time....I would just appreicate it if the the authorities in Boulder epecially the DA would reread all of the case information from the beginning, without prejudice, and look at the facts that lead to the real killers ignoring all of the non-factual theories that speak to an intruder....never mind previous reputations or media hype, or monied individuals....

"The facts mam, just the facts".....that is the way they did it in the old days, solving a lot of crimes that way, and I think I can say that it is our forum's adgenda to follow that simple statement straight to justice for JonBenet Ramsey....

Great Post Easywriter,
    Voyager

6. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

And, may I add, what credentials do these media journalists bring to this table to sit in judgment of forum posters, some of whom ARE professionals in the fields of law, forensics, criminology, and other relevant careers? Do they possess any degrees in these fields themselves? Have they ever attended an autopsy, bent over a crime scene, interviewed distraught and devastated families, or spent hours upon hours searching for clues or preparing cases for trial? Or do they just sit on their butts pontificating about those of us who do and have for many, many years, labeling us bored and lonely housewives with too many cats and kids, or antiquities lacking in any modern intellect? I happen to be privvy to EW's credentials and years of direct experience in cases like this one. Can any of these superior intellect journalists post THEIR credentials? No! Because doing so would clearly reveal they in no way measure up to the talents and experiences of many on this forum whom they arrogantly judge, hence their "anonymity."

Mudslinging and character assassination have always been the only tactics the sorely lacking can resort to in trying to ruin the credibility of an opponent.

Good for you for speaking your 71-year-old mind, Delmar. You are living proof that age has nothing to do with competency or intelligence. There are many others like you here who do likewise.

7. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Since Beckner is aware of the swamp person's antics over the years, even being forced to use taxpayer's money to test bogus DNA and having to follow up on all the worthless tips, I can see where he would state that the forums are a waste of time. I think it would not be appropriate considering what he's had to put up with, to state otherwise.

Does anyone know if Candy was interviewed?

8. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

I agree, Sabrina, that Beckner's unhappy exposure to Jameson's idiocy was an experience he could have lived without. An enormous number of people who have had that same close encounter of the bizarre kind feel the same way. If Beckner had done his job well in the first place, he would have checked Jameson out on the forums first and saved the taxpayers of Boulder that $2M following leads that were pulled out of her mold-infested freezer or demented :(:(:(.

Instead, he has allowed his own bad judgment in exposing the case to Jameson to discredit the case, his professional reputation and his very own opinion of everyone who resorts to the internet forums seeking contribution and justice for murdered children. Not only is that incompetence, but ignorant and bigoted as well. At least we judge Beckner on his own performance rather than claiming him a nincompoop because of what someone else has done. How would he like to be compared to Jameson or Barney Fife????? In the latter case, the shoe is a perfect fit.

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I understand Delmar's point of view and as always he raises some thought provoking points.

From a different view point I would like to offer this.

Try to imagine coming into the forum world with zero knowledge of how it works. Then try and write an article about it.

Like I said earlier I think he did a great job especially considering what he was trying to accomplish. Explaining to his readers the workings of the JBR forums.

Remember this article was not about LE. It was about the Internet. It wasn't suppose to be about the failures of LE but about why we are still following the case.

He did mention about what I said concerning the wide range type of members we have here. I stressed several times that the misconception of who Internet posters are needs to change. We are everyone from CEO's to surgeons to actors to cops to lawyers to everything else. We are like a big town meeting. Meeting 24 hours a day seven days a week. We offer ideas. We hope others will listen to our ideas and run with them.

My big beef is Beckner. Yes Mame, Jameson and others were horrible in the beginning and I am sure a nutcase still calls him but Beckner is suppose to be a leader. He is suppose to have a vision. If he is so narrow minded to shut out the Internet entirely then he is doing a disservice to the people he is suppose to protect.

Look at the organizations that use the Internet. Beyond Missing. Amber Alert. I could go on and on but you get the picture.

For Beckner to not only dismiss those who use the Internet but to insult them as well with his superior attitude is outrages.

I have no idea if Candy was interviewed or not.

10. Watching You

Maybe we are

so jaded toward some of the subject matter (Beckner) of the article, we are a little harder on the author than we should be. At least he did quote Tricia exactly, and that's a good thing, yes? I suppose he did the best he could; afterall, who but an internet forum poster who has been involved in the forums since JBR was killed could even begin to understand the depth behind the supposed superficiality that some believe the forums to be and write about it from that perspective?

We can thank the jamesons and mames and candys for their constant interference in this case for the way Beckner feels, I suppose, but it is not fair that he judges all of us by those flakes.

11. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

The problem is that Beckner HAD to waste taxpayer's monies testing the swamp's bogus DNA and tips. If he ignored them, Lin Wood would have gone on Larry King and further accused them of ignoring leads.

The San Diego police had to test a tarp that idiot Douglas Pierce found near the Danielle VanDam site, full of someone's picnic remnants for basically the same reason.

High profile cases attract loonies with media connections who think they know more than the investigators, and these people have wasted time,money and resources----especially in the JonBenet case. If Beckner stated anything but what he did, it would be fodder for an endorsement of you know who. Think about it.

I think his remark was appropriate given the circumstances.

The endorsement FFJ got from the Rachel Cooke task force speaks volumes. Jeff Dusek's admission that they combed the internet sites also speaks volumes. I am sure there are more I am not aware of, and they do not have to deal with the likes of Jameson and Lin Wood.

12. Watching You

As much as he considers

certain posters Code 6 Wingnuts for their interference and the cost that was incurred because of that interference, he should at least consider those of us who have never interferred or called or sent him crap as interested but not interferring parties. I would never stick my nose inside a murder investigation the way jameson and mame have done. It's one thing to be a conscientious and interested observer for purposes of debate, but give us credit for not interferring.

Thank heaven authorities in the Danielle van Dam case and the van Dams themselves ignored hir, just the way Boulder should have done. Instead, hir is bragging about sitting in the home of an investigator in the DA's so-called new investigation. Is it any wonder we consider Boulder authorities with the same contempt as they seem to think of us?

13. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Tricia, on a previous post, I did acknowledge all the hard work Jared went to in writing his article. I take exception to the mischaracterizations of internet forum posters, as noted. And I appreciate the coverage when the only media attention right now is being given to JR's run for the gold.

As for Beckner, Sabrina, of course he had to follow all leads, even the ridiculous ones brought by the Skankster. But BPD was quick to pick up on the unreliability of MW; I expected the same intuitive effort toward Jameson. And I would insist that his opinions regarding forum posters be limited to the one(s) he's dealt with and not used as a blanket to defame all of us. That's the only point I was trying to make.

14. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Jameson had the endorsement of Lin Wood and Lou Smit. They more or less had to listen to her nonsense otherwise it would be more fodder for "they didn't investigate any other leads."

MW didn't. Everyone saw her for what she was.

Notice I said HAD. I believe they all wish they had never spoke to her.

15. Ginja

Ginja Member

Easy Writer

Have you received any reply from Jared? Also, did you cc your letter to anyone, like Beckner or Bennett?

I think you brought out excellent points in showing Smit's bogus ideas re the stun gun.

Perhaps a letter like yours should be printed in the Opinions or editorial sections of the local Boulder papers.

It appears the only people getting recognition for their ideas are the RST and people like Jared.

How pathetically unfortunate!

16. Elle

Elle Member

Just wish Delmar's letters to D.A. Keenan could be in the local Boulder papers, Ginja, bang smack on the front page!

17. EasyWriter

Re: Easy Writer

18. Elle

Elle Member

I wish we knew knew someone with some clout in Boulder, Delmar, who could pull a few strings for us. I'm sick of the Ramseys having it all their own way from day one. Within days they're on CNN after the murder. Later, the Larry King Live Show, then the Today show etc., etc., Frustrating!

19. Ginja

Ginja Member

Elle and Easy Writer

I just had a thought, although I don't know if it will amount to anything. But seeing as how John is seriously considering running for office in Charlevoix, perhaps EW's letter(s) could get some notice in the local Charlevoix papers?

Perhaps Tricia can also bring a copy of the letter with her when she presents the governor with the petition. Just to let him know this case is still grating on the nerves of much of the public (even if Boulder residents are unaffected). Maybe she could bring Jared's article and then your response. Owens is intelligent enough to realize that boards like FfJ take this seriously, even if the BDA's office doesn't.

20. EasyWriter

Re: Elle and Easy Writer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice