Default Kentucky newborn abducted from hospital

Friday, April 2, 2004 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT)

STANFORD, Kentucky (AP) -- A newborn girl was taken from a hospital early Friday, authorities said. Police were questioning a suspect, a former hospital worker, but had not found the child.

An Amber Alert was issued after little Grayci Barrows was taken from Fort Logan Hospital in Stanford around 4 a.m. She was born Thursday.

A woman sought in connection with the abduction was apprehended at a truck stop on Interstate 65 near Franklin, state police said. The woman was taken into custody for questioning, but she was not immediately charged. The baby was not found in her vehicle or in her home, authorities said.

The FBI, along with local emergency and fire personnel are searching for the baby as far north as Lexington and south through Tennessee, State Police Sgt. Phil Crumpton said.

"We're searching anywhere and everywhere," Crumpton said. Franklin, where the woman was found, is close to the Tennessee line.
    ...snip

The woman came under suspicion because a witness saw her with a baby, Crumpton said.
    ...snip

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/....ap/index.html
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Thumbs up Baby Who Disappeared From Hospital Found

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) -- A day-old baby girl with respiratory problems who was taken from her mother's hospital room Friday was found unharmed hours later in an alley 150 miles away. A hospital nurse's aide was charged with kidnapping her.

Police used footprints to identify a baby found in Bowling Green as Grayci Jean Barrows, reported abducted from a hospital in Stanford about 4 a.m., said State Police Trooper Nick Stephens.

"It's been 100 percent confirmed," Stephens said. "It's got a happy ending."

The baby, umbilical cord still attached, was brought to a local hospital after a passer-by found her in an alley behind a consignment shop. Lequetta Dolbeare, an employee of the shop, said a woman walking her dog found the baby.

"She had a baby blanket wrapped around her head real tight and her legs were sticking out," Lois Long told the Daily News of Bowling Green. "I thought she was a baby doll, so I reached down to touch her leg, and her foot moved and I started freaking out."
    ...snip

Sholtz, 24, of Lexington, who worked part-time at Fort Logan Hospital in Stanford, was charged with kidnapping, said Stanford Police Chief Keith Middleton. He said Sholtz was questioned for much of Friday but was not cooperative.

Stephens said no one is sure how long Grayci was left outside before she was found.

Grayci was in "fairly good" condition, especially for a newborn left exposed to the weather, Kentucky State Police Sgt. Phil Crumpton said. The temperature in Bowling Green about the time Grayci was found was in the mid-40s.
    ...snip

Her parents, Samantha and Cory Barrows, are seniors at Casey County High School. As he left Fort Logan Hospital, Cory Barrows thanked the public for the prayers while Grayci was missing.

"I thank the Lord for everything he's done," Cory Barrows told WLEX-TV in Lexington.

Grayci was born Thursday and needs to be on oxygen because of respiratory problems, Crumpton said.
    ...snip

A witness saw the woman with Grayci and notified police, who triggered an Amber Alert, Crumpton said.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)