Fleet White wants the Ramsey case taken away from Keenan

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Ramsey case won’t get special treatment
    By Travis Henry
    The Daily Times-Call

BOULDER — In the enclave of Boulder — where crime stories seem to take on a life of their own — the University of Colorado recruiting scandal and the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation were destined to collide.

Using the withdrawal of District Attorney Mary Keenan from the CU case as ammunition, a man who seems obsessed with all things Ramsey has asked that Gov. Bill Owens assign a special prosecutor to the 6-year-old girl’s 1996 murder.

Fleet White, the former best friend of John Ramsey, claims that Keenan should be removed from the Ramsey case for the same reasons a special prosecutor was appointed to look into improprieties allegedly committed by CU football players and recruits.

Keenan said the Ramsey case “belongs to Boulder†and that comparisons to the CU case are not relevant.

“(White) is making an analogy, but it doesn’t really fit,†Keenan said Tuesday.

Owens’ spokeswoman Kristen Hubbell said Tuesday the governor stands by a special commission’s finding in 1999 that recommended against a special prosecutor.

“At this time the governor is not going to appoint a special prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case,†Hubbell said.

In February, Owens assigned Attorney General Ken Salazar to take the lead in the CU investigation after a firestorm erupted when a deposition from Keenan was released in which she accused CU of using sex and alcohol to lure recruits.

The deposition was taken as part of a lawsuit against the university filed by former CU student Lisa Simpson, who claims she was raped by football players and recruits at a Dec. 7, 2001, off-campus party.

Keenan asked that a special prosecutor take over for her “to ensure public confidence in the criminal process.â€

She said that her role as a witness in the Simpson case could undermine “complete confidence in the outcome of any criminal investigations if ultimate decisions as to whether to prosecute are made solely by my office.â€

White, who has asked several times that the governor appoint a special prosecutor, claims that Keenan’s potential involvement in a lawsuit against Fox News by the Ramseys should also result in her removal. John and Patsy Ramsey are suing Fox News after the network fingered their son as JonBenet’s killer.

Keenan might end up a witness in that case because of her statements that support “an intruder theory,†which would exonerate members of the Ramsey family.

In letters to Owens and Keenan, White — who communicates to the media only through fax — claims that Keenan’s involvement in the Fox lawsuit would hurt the Ramsey investigation. In March, Fleet White, and his wife, Priscilla, met with Owens’ lawyers to express their concerns. In the meeting and in the letters, White said the outcome of the Ramsey case is more important to the state than the CU investigation.

“One involved questionable, unsubstantiated or non-prosecutable allegations of sexual assault involving adults; the other involves the abuse torture and homicide of a six-year-old child,†White wrote. “There is absolutely no doubt as to which case represents the greatest threat to the public’s respect and confidence in the criminal justice system.â€

White said since his meeting with Owens’ staff, the governor has not responded to his request for a special prosecutor.

Keenan said a special prosecutor in the CU case was appropriate because CU is a state institution and the case involves multiple jurisdictions. She said that the media coverage also was causing a perception that she was biased against the university.

Hubbell pointed out that Keenan herself asked for a special prosecutor to look into the allegations against CU and echoed Keenan’s multi-jurisdiction argument.

Keenan said the Ramsey case is in good hands with the team of investigators she has assembled.

Late last year, DNA found in the underwear that JonBenet Ramsey was wearing when she was murdered was submitted to the FBI’s national DNA databank.

“We will keep on it as long as we feel we are making forward progress,†Keenan said.

White has been involved in the Ramsey case since day one. He was with John Ramsey when JonBenet’s body was found in the wine cellar of the Ramseys’ home, and at first he supported John and Patsy Ramsey’s claims of innocence.

At some point, White became convinced of their guilt and started a campaign to have the governor remove former District Attorney Alex Hunter and appoint an independent prosecutor to the case.

*snip*

http://www.longmontfyi.com/regionstate.htm#story2

This is good news. Not that White didn't get Keenan removed but that this story is getting some press.

Next Friday a group of posters will present our petition to appoint a special prosecutor in the JBR case.

The petition story will be a good follow up to this one. Although it would have been nice if Fleet White would have persuaded the powers that be to remove Keenan from the case but it was a long shot.

I don't have any illusion of changing the Gov.'s mind but at least we are doing something. We have a few other things planned as well :winkaway:

I give the Whites a lot of credit. They are trying to do something. Anything. At least we know that someone who loved JBR is still seeking justice.

Tricia

2. imon128

imon128 Banned

I want the Ramsey case taken away from Keenan, too. I also want to reiterate my faith in Fleet and Priscilla White. I'm their staunch ally.

3. Thor

Thor Active Member

Well, I was disappointed to read this article and my first thought was "just what is going on here that this case is being swept under the carpet like it is yet again." Owens doesn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. But, I guess you're right Tricia, at least the news is still out there. I also thought how can these FW did it people keep thinking this way when Fleet is the one that is calling for the case to be taken away from Keenan? If he had anything to do with this, he'd keep his mouth shut and hope Keenan pursues this inturder. Good for Fleet.

4. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Hey Tricia!

Yes, it is good to at least be doing something...Perhaps Gov. Owens will realize that there are many signatures from people in many different parts of the country, asking for the same thing....A special prosecutor who will have no prejudice or political involvement with the city of Boulder and who will be focused on justice for one tiny girl who was bludgeoned, sexually abused and murdered on Christmas over seven years ago...

There are a lot of solid citizens who care about justice in this case...hopefully one of them is Governor Owens...

Justice For JonBenet Ramsey,
    Voyager

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  5. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Hey Tristan

Wouldn't it be great if Fleet and Pricilla showed up with you for the presentation???

Who is blocking "a special prosecutor" and why? WHY is Keenan and other so against this if they truly want justice???

Thank you Fleet and Pricilla for keeping this case from "going away".

6. Tricia

Sparky unfortunately the "presentation" won't be anything official. Not yet anyway. Still working on it. As it stands now not quite sure what to expect when we get to the Gov.'s office.

It's obvious that the Whites are very private people. They are welcome to come with us but I understand 100 percent if they would rather sit this one out :) They did their best and were shot down again.

I truly feel that no one wants a special prosecutor because the powers that be want this case to go away. From Bill Owens to Mary Keenan no one wants to see this case really solved.

If a special prosecutor were appointed then whole ugly network of Hunter and Hadden would be exposed. I think many people know about the cozy relationship with those two and would have a lot of explaining to do as to why nothing was done to expose this long ago.

That's just for starters.

7. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

The most important thing that will come from the petition, Tricia, is the attention it will (hopefully) get in the press. Maybe Owens can ignore it, but it will be harder for him to do so if the press has a copy and prints the story in the newspapers.

Two thumbs up for Fleet and Priscilla White for having the courage to continue to demand justice for a little girl whom others seem to have written off. I often think of their daughter who must be a teenager now, around the same age, I think, that JBR would have been, had her life not been snuffed out by someone else. I would bet they often think about that. As Steve Thomas said, Ms. America was the least JonBenet could have been.

8. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Obviously getting to the truth concerning the problems of the UC football program is more important to the Governor of Colorado and the "powers-that-be" in Boulder than finding the killer of JBR. Why am I not suprised?

9. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

“Ramsey case won’t get special treatment
    By Travis Henry
    The Daily Times-Callâ€

This is but one more in a very long and very disgusting list of
    media machinations with the common of gutless evasion of the
    facts while using the death of JonBenet Ramsey to boost print
    media sales or increase tv ratings. The cowardice of these
    presentations are evidenced in the fact that not a one dares to
    present to the public anything close to the facts of the case.
    The one in focus is guilty of the same; misleading by both
    commission and omission.

“Using the withdrawal of District Attorney Mary Keenan from the
    CU case as ammunition, a man who seems obsessed with all things
    Ramsey has asked that Gov. Bill Owens assign a special prosecutor
    to the 6-year-old girl’s 1996 murder.†(From the article)

“obsessed with all things Ramsey.†There is nothing in the
    article that says why Fleet White is “obsessed†with the case;
    nor is there any mention that many others also seek a special
    prosecutor. Are they “obsessed†without good reason, or are they
    simply seeking to get out the truth long evaded by the “powers
    that be†including governor Owens?

“Fleet White, the former best friend of John Ramsey, claims that
    Keenan should be removed from the Ramsey case for the same
    reasons a special prosecutor was appointed to look into
    improprieties allegedly committed by CU football players and
    recruits.

Keenan said the Ramsey case “belongs to Boulder†and that
    comparisons to the CU case are not relevant.

“(White) is making an analogy, but it doesn’t really fit,†Keenan
    said Tuesday.â€(ibid)

Demonstrated dishonesty and gross incompetence is relevant to all
    cases. White’s analogy and request for Keenan’s removal is on
    solid ground from every aspect.

“At this time the governor is not going to appoint a special
    prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case,†Hubbell said.

In February, Owens assigned Attorney General Ken Salazar to take
    the lead in the CU investigation after a firestorm erupted when a
    deposition from Keenan was released in which she accused CU of
    using sex and alcohol to lure recruits.†(ibid)

I do not have sufficient information to offer a conclusion about
    the players in the CU case. However, Owens’ assignment of crony,
    Ken Salazar, as lead investigator in the CU case while shunning
    the option in the JonBenet case smacks of a political agenda
    rather than any concern for truth. Given Owens hands off
    treatment of the Ramsey case and hands on in the CU case leads me
    to surmise that the objective is to see that CU “investigative
    conclusion†coincides with political agenda. If Governor Owens
    takes offense and would like to “correct me†on this assumption,
    I will be happy to listen. Of course, I will have a few questions
    to ask as well.

“She said that her role as a witness in the Simpson case could
    undermine “complete confidence in the outcome of any criminal
    investigations if ultimate decisions as to whether to prosecute
    are made solely by my office.†(ibid)

The term, confidence, and Mary Keenan in the same sentence is an
    abomination.

“White, who has asked several times that the governor appoint a
    special prosecutor, claims that Keenan’s potential involvement in
    a lawsuit against Fox News by the Ramseys should also result in
    her removal. John and Patsy Ramsey are suing Fox News after the
    network fingered their son as JonBenet’s killer.†(ibid)

Don’t you just wonder where in the hell this reporter got the
    “fact†that Fox News “fingered their son†as JonBenet’s killer.’
    They said Burke was guilty? Gee, and all this time, I thought
    the suit was about Fox News saying there was no evidence of an
    intruder. (Wouldn’t it be a pleasant novelty if just one of these
    “reporters†would just report rather than invent?

“Keenan might end up a witness in that case because of her
    statements that support “an intruder theory,†which would
    exonerate members of the Ramsey family.†(ibid)

I’ve said it before and I’ll said it again. Mary Keenan KNOWS
    there is no evidence of an intruder. As dishonest and stupid as
    she is, she is not so dumb as to under oath swear otherwise and
    take a chance of being asked to produce the “evidence.â€

“Keenan said the Ramsey case is in good hands with the team of
    investigators she has assembled.†(Ibid)

Sure it is. This is verified by the expenditure of over seven
    years “effort†and over $2,000,000 of taxpayer money spent with
    absolutely nothing to show for it; an end result predicted by the
    evidence from the very beginning. Taxpayers of Boulder, I solicit
    your opinion: Have the “good hands†let you down?

“Late last year, DNA found in the underwear that JonBenet Ramsey
    was wearing when she was murdered was submitted to the FBI’s
    national DNA databank.â€

Here we go again with more idiotic claptrap about the UNKNOWN AS
    EVIDENCE, which of course, implies “intruder.†This BS while
    leaving out the truth about the actual evidence in the case.

“We will keep on it as long as we feel we are making forward
    progress,†Keenan said. (Ibid)

“forward progress� Is there a “backward progress?†Where Keenan
    is concerned, maybe there is. I look forward to the day when
    Keenan simply disappears into a vortex of her lies.

OK, folks, that’s my rant for the day, but as long as they
    keeping publishing this Ramsey-serving nonsense, I will keep
    jumping on it.

10. Watching You

Bravo, EasyWriter. :yay: :yay:

11. Tricia

EasyWriter once again an amazing and truthfull look at Ramseygate.

I am going to send your post to everyone one I know interested in this case. It is a must read for all.

Tricia

12. Tricia

I think this signature from the petition says it all.

To Gov. Owens: "1366. cassie sally get the lead out, mister."

13. Spade

Spade Member

Easy Writer

1. Owens and Salazar are NOT cronies. Salazar is running for the US Senate as a Dem. Owens is a Repug. and supports Coors for the Senate.

2. The Daily Times Call is the home paper of BJ Plaskett, Mame's buddy and Krebscam promoter. IMO that is the foundation for the FW bashing.

I agree with the main points of your post but at the same time we should give Owens the benefit of the doubt and hope that he listens to Tricia next week.

14. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

SPADE:

“1. Owens and Salazar are NOT cronies. Salazar is running for the
    US Senate as a Dem. Owens is a Repug. and supports Coors for the
    Senate.â€

The face of politics is oft times much different from content.
    Owens could have backed off the CU case the same as he did the
    Ramsey case. Do you really think that Owens appointed someone he
    thought would go against his wishes?

“2. The Daily Times Call is the home paper of BJ Plaskett, Mame's
    buddy and Krebscam promoter. IMO that is the foundation for the
    FW bashing.â€

The foundation is the same old money\political games. Facade and
    peripheral players are of minor importance.

“I agree with the main points of your post but at the same time
    we should give Owens the benefit of the doubt and hope that he
    listens to Tricia next week.â€

“give Owens the benefit of doubt� Oh, I do. I have no doubt that
    he will do whatever he sees as beneficial to his political
    career. After seven years of letting the inmates run the asylum,
    you talk about giving Owens the benefit of doubt? By what
    rationale, may I ask?

________

15. Spade

Spade Member

Easy Writer

I have lived in Colorado for 44 years and follow state politics very closely. What is the basis of your opinion?

IMO the CU "recruiting scandal" was a red herring tossed out by Owens to divert attention away from his personal problems. Salazar was appointed by Owens because Salazar is the State AG. Not because they are cronies.

Tricia has put alot of energy into the petition. IMO it is counter-productive to bash Owens on this issue until Tricia has had an opportunity to present her points in favor of a Special Prosecuter.

16. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Quote: "Keenan said the Ramsey case “belongs to Boulder†and that comparisons to the CU case are not relevant."

Wouldn't the case officially be entitled "State of Colorado vs. ________", Ms. Keenan? How does Boulder own the Ramsey case? Isn't justice for the victim and not the political entities in charge of the case?

Quote: “She said that her role as a witness in the Simpson case could undermine “complete confidence in the outcome of any criminal investigations if ultimate decisions as to whether to prosecute are made solely by my office.â€

Wouldn't your role as a witness in the Ramsey case bear potential conflict of interest and public confidence in the outcome of any criminal investigations conducted by your office as well, Ms. Keenan? Wouldn't your 7-year long personal opinion of an intruder perpetrator obliterate any objectivity in such investigations just as you claimed BPD's alleged biases obstructed a thorough investigation, Ms. Keenan? Talk about the skillet calling the kettle black…..

Quote: “Keenan said the Ramsey case is in good hands with the team of investigators she has assembled.â€

Team? What team? Tom Bennett who is completely embedded in the Kobe Bryant case? Lou Smit who considers his position on the case now only as "consultant" and part time at that? What team are you referring to, Ms. Keenan? Perhaps you should disclose who this hands-off team is.

Quote: “We will keep on it as long as we feel we are making forward progress,†Keenan said."

What progress would that be, Ms. Keenan? In almost 2 years, the only "progress" made on this case by your "team" of investigators has been the appointment of those investigators, reassignment of at least one of them to a bigger high profile case and mysterious DNA that has never been able to be sourced. If that's what $2M buys in Boulder, I'm packing my bags…..

I am hoping at least the media coverage of the petition presentation will create such a ruffle in the political structure in CO that SOMETHING far more productive than Keenan's "investigation" will result. Good luck, Tricia!

17. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

FLEET - if you are out there.........

Thank you.

:bow:
    RR

18. Spade

Spade Member

DejaNu

Thanks for a great post! Let's hope that Gov. Owens can handle the truth better than LinWad.

19. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

Heck

If Keenan was really concerned with public confidence in her ability to be impartial in a case, then the JBR case is certainly applicable. Anyone who can read can figure that out.

20. Watching You

You know, what is the big deal with Keenan? Why is it so important to her that she hang on to the Ramsey case? In the interest of a fair and impartial investigation, why doesn't she just let it go? What is it with Keenan et al that they can't see that if they would put their big egos aside and admit they are stymied on this case, they might be able to attract some of the top (not Lou Smit caliber, please) investigators in the country to come in and take the investigation over? These would be investigators who have no allegiance to anyone or any theory - it would remove the suspicion so much of the public harbors toward the parties involved in the investigation to date and give new life to an investigation that is in shambles.

Why can't Keenan see this? Why can't Owens see it? Is something covering their eyes? Or is there just a cover up?

Mary Keenan, there will never be any faith in any investigation you do in the Ramsey case, because you have tainted the investigation with your public comments and your bias. Let the case go to a new investigation team - one that is not connected to any of the players. What would be so wrong in that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice