Boulder Daily Camera/ FFJ Members Hit Boulder

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/city_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2422_2837578,00.html

April 26, 2004

The JonBenet cyber-sleuths are coming to the town where it all started.

A handful of members on the Web site Forums for Justice, which targets John and Patsy Ramsey in the 1996 slaying of their 6-year-old daughter, will be in Boulder and Denver this week trying to persuade Gov. Bill Owens to appoint a special prosecutor to the unsolved case.

The members will come from as far as New York and Florida to present a petition for a special prosecutor, echoing last week's request by Fleet White, a former friend of the Ramseys.

"This is great because it's going to be a one-two punch," said Tricia Griffith, a Utah resident who launched Forums for Justice after JonBenet's death. But Griffith said the two requests are unrelated.

She started the online petition last May, and it has gathered 1,407 signatures. It's more than she expected, she said.

"I thought, 'Boy, it's going to be really hard to get 500 signatures because everybody has moved on,'" she recalled.

Many people have "moved on." The number of Web sites dedicated to the slain Boulder girl, a child pageant queen, have thinned out in recent years. But for some of the die-hards captivated by the case, a new local scandal has only added fuel to the fire.

Gov. Owens appointed a special prosecutor in February to investigate allegations that the University of Colorado used sex to lure football recruits. Owens' first-ever appointment of a special prosecutor should set a precedent and pave the way for one in the JonBenet case, say both Griffith and Fleet White.

Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan, who took over the Ramsey investigation from Boulder police in 2002, said there's no correlation between the two cases.

Keenan said she requested a special prosecutor in the CU case for three reasons: It spans multiple jurisdictions; it involves a state institution; and she became a "lightning rod" in the case because of accusations she made against CU's football program in sworn testimony for a civil lawsuit at the heart of the scandal.

"None of these things are true in the Ramsey case," Keenan said. "That's completely a Boulder County case. There's no reason for it to go anywhere else."

Owens has tended to agree. He has turned down previous requests for the Ramsey case, as did his predecessor, Roy Romer.

Owens spokesman Dan Hopkins said the Ramsey investigation and CU case are "two different situations," but he said the governor will "certainly take a look at their petition."

Lin Wood, the Ramseys' Atlanta attorney, said the back-to-back requests were insignificant. He called Fleet White unpredictable and the Forums for Justice members "totally irrelevant."

"These are people that are somehow strangers to a case who have become obsessed with it over the Internet," he said of the cyber-sleuths. "I don't think they have any credibility."

Forums for Justice members take issue with that characterization. "We're not obsessed crazies; we're normal people," Griffith said.

The members who will fly into Colorado on Wednesday and Thursday have known one another for seven years over the Internet, but for the most part have never met in person and have never come to Boulder, she said.
    *snip*

The point is to show that a murdered child won't be forgotten and to take action in a case that has bothered them for years, Griffith said.

"To feel like you've done something, even if it's just flying out and walking up the steps of the Capitol and handing the petition to an aide, you can say, 'I did something,'" Griffith said. "'I'm not sitting back like everybody else did.'"

Contact Camera Staff Writer Amy Hebert at (303) 473-1329 or heberta@dailycamera.com.

This is my favorite part

Lin Wood, the Ramseys' Atlanta attorney, said the back-to-back requests were insignificant. He called Fleet White unpredictable and the Forums for Justice members "totally irrelevant."

I am not feeling the love from Lin Wood. Are you?

A quick note. I had no idea the Whites were asking for a special prosecutor. If you look on the thread where I posted the letters from the Whites to the Gov and to Keenan you will see they made their request about a month ago. For some reason it hit the papers last week. Or I should say paper. Only one reported on it.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

If FFJ is so irrelevant, why did Wood feel the need to comment about this?

What is really going on, here? What are Owens, Keenan, and Wood so afraid of? If there is nothing to hide, how can they be against a completely independent investigation into JBR's death? Those of us who believe the Ramseys may have be hiding something have no such fear - we welcome a new investigation with investigators who have no connection to the politicali machine or the current people allegedly working on the case. We welcome a legitimate reinvestigation by competent investigators - investigators who have no bias for or against anyone - only a desire to get at the real truth.

Here is what we want, or rather what we don't want. We do not want the BPD involved in the investigation. We do not want the DA's office involved in the investigation. We do not want Ramsey advocate Lou Smit involved in the investigation. We do not want anyone who has had previous involvement in the investigation, to date, to have one thing to do with a new investigation. We do not want Lin Wood, Hadden et al, or any of the other Ramsey attorneys involved in the investigation.

Assemble a team of the best investigators in the country. Give them the case. Give these unbiased investigators free rein to investigate not only the JBR case but also the previous investigation and all the investigators. This should be done, not at state level, but at the federal level, because it has to be without prejudice.

So, what's the problem with that? If the RST truly wants a fair and unbiased investigation, they should have no problem with it. What are they afraid of?

3. Watching You

Furthermore...

I've not said much about Fleet White one way or the other except for when mame and her slugs were slandering him and his family with every other breath they took. I continue to read the comments by others, though, especially those who have their own agendas to try to discredit him.

Being called "unpredictable" by Lin Wood would be an enormous compliment to me. It would seem Wood is well aware he is not going to control Fleet White no more than anyone else controls Fleet White. Some of the adjectives I've seen applied to FW are "weird," "strange," "unstable," not to mention some of the more slanderous names he's been called.

A closer look at the people doing this reveals the same people who tried to discredit Steve Thomas with comments about his mental state, etc, and a definite pattern. Anyone who presents a threat to the Ramsey camp has been attacked in this manner, not only by the RST but, incredibly, also by the DA's office. Both ST and FW were publicly attacked by Alex Hunter. One has to ask why a district attorney would try to discredit two of his most important witnesses in a murder case. Seems damn obvious to me..

But, I digress. The only reason I can see that anyone would call FW "weird," or "unpredictable," is because Fleet won't talk, and that really freaks the RSTers out. They have no control over what he may do or say, they can't guess what he may do or say, and they have been hard at work to try to make something "weird" out of the fact that he has not spoken in public but that he continues to stir up their perceived and completely manipulated calm waters wilth his letters and insistence that someone outside of the Boulder DA's office take over the JBR case.

I've got news for these people. I see nothing weird about what FW has done. In fact, if he is weird for keeping his mouth shut and for writing letters, then, so am I weird, because I wouldn't talk in public, either, because I am a poor public speaker, but I would use the power of the pen to continue to fight to get justice for a little girl, especially if I knew there were things going on behind the scenes to cover up the truth, as I suspect FW knows there is in this case.

The bottom line is, Lin Wood and anyone else who seeks to discredit Fleet White (or Steve Thomas, IMO) sees both of them as enormous threats to the continued incompetence and coverup in the JBR case and therefore find it necessary to continue to try to discredit them.

Lin Wood would do well to buy a muzzle and use it for himself instead of making comments that only make the Ramseys and himself appear much too eager to keep the present, biased, investigation intact in the face of the undisputed facts that the investigators, (with the possible exception of Bennett) all have conflicts of interest and therefore the entire investigation has been compromised.

If Wood, in all his self-importance, insists the present investigation is on the right track, it is only because it is intruder-oriented and directed away from his litigous clients, the Ramseys. It is not because the investigation is fair or impartial. It is not.

The more Wood puts FFJ and her members down, the more he puts himself down. Every citizen in this country has the right to demand to know what the tax-payer paid, elected, public officials are doing. There are always federal monies going into the coffers of the states; I'm sure Colorado is no different. If some of my tax money gets funneled to other states, then I've got the right to insist in the public's right to know what is going on and to comment about it. Even if that were not so, there is no one who can take away our right to care what happened to a defenseless six year old girl and to insist that everything concerning the investigation is fair and above board. There is no shame in that. The shame is in a district attorney cowing to the threats of an ambulance chasing civil attorney and arbitrarily removing an investigation from the original investigators only to turn it over to totally compromised investigators. That is real shame.

4. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Great Work Tristan !

why, why, why doesn't Lin want a special prosecutor. And if we are so irrevelant why does he even bother reading or keeping up on us??

Like WY said, he wants his special people only. Perhaps if someone else took this case it would be solved.

How's that Bennett guy doing anyway? Did he find anything new? Are he and Lou bestest friends now?

Why do the Rams and Lin want this case to go away? You'd think they would be happy that we are trying.

I'm so glad you guys are going to Boulder to speak for the many people who want justice for JonBenet Ramsey.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

April 30, 1997

Seven years ago.......THREE MONTHS after JonBenet's murder........her parents finally sat down to speak to the officials in charge of investigating the homicide of their daughter.

FOR THREE MONTHS, the Ramseys hid behind their attorneys, refusing to be involved in helping Law Enforcement apprehend The Killa.

Somehow - they stumbled through their grief and tranqulizers to appear on CNN in what? Three Days?! Four, tops.

This is why RiverRat is traveling to Boulder. I am ashamed that it took me this long - I wonder if that is how John and Patsy felt when they finally got involved.

RR

6. Watching You

I only wish I could be there with our representatives from FFJ when they present the petition to Owens or his rep. My heart will be there with all of you - Tricia, RiverRat, Voyager, Colorado Babe, VP - and anyone else who is going. You all make me very proud to be a member of FFJ and part of all she stands for.

7. Ginja

Ginja Member

I wanna go, bwaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

I wanna go! Anyone want to adopt me? :jumpie:

Seriously, I'm thinking of another way to get you in the papers while you're in Boulder...perhaps a prayer vigil? Call the press and tell them you'll be there...where? Hmmm...

In front of the murder scene?

Or perhaps in front of the BDA's office, where JonBenet gets slaughtered again and again with that office's refusal to give this child any justice whatsover!!!

Perhaps an ad in the paper advertising the vigil would bring a few Boulderites who may still care. Of course, I don't think there are too many there, if at all. Perhaps the best way to "advertise" would be to shame the townspeople into going.

Anyway, it would be great if you could get more publicity and even some acknowledgement (along the lines of participation) by the locals.

The more I think of it, the more it sounds like setting up camp (so to speak) in front of the BDA's office would certainly bring media attention, and isn't that what we want?

Wish you all the best of luck and wish I were going. Of course, the adoption request is an option for anyone who'd want to pick it up. :bowdown:

8. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

WY, great posts! You make some very salient points. Lin Wood has a LONG history of thrashing and trashing anyone who is seeking justice for JonBenet (see 1999 Flashback thread and ALL the material quoting LW over the years). For him to refer to any of us as "irrelevant" is nothing more than yet another manifestation of his psychopathic ego that has been way out of control for way too long. I'm counting on the Fox attorneys to put this sleazeball in his proper place once and for all.

As to Keenan's "investigation," there is a huge difference between custody of a case and an investigation. Bennett's still on the Bryant case and Smit's still spinning the same tired ******** as always. Keenan's office may have custody of the case, but there is certainly no investigation taking place. AND HENCE, the FFJ presentation of the petition. Let's emphasize the difference between "custody" and "investigation" for these people to help them understand that having custody REQUIRES activity, not neglect for the sake of burying the case along with the child.

9. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Anyone got the phone # for The Gov'ners office...perhaps those of us who can't go can call at the same time ya'll are there handing him the petition. Bombard him with our irrelevant selves.

Ouch........

10. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

11. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Lin Wood is splintering.

I think we're getting to the Woodman.

Irrelevant? Then why is he so scared of us?

12. Ginja

Ginja Member

I agree!

When he describes us as "irrelevant" you know we've gotten under his skin...a rash he can't get rid of!

Well, let Linny bring it on, cuz us irrelevants aren't going away! :flipper:

13. Niner

Niner Active Member

Great DejaNu - on those phone #s - I'll BE CALLING!!! What time you all going to present this petition - so I can give them a call! Is that going to be on Friday the 30th? and Boulder is in Central Time, right??

Gawd - I wish I could go too, but money is short these days - my heart will be with you all that WILL be there, tho!! :hug:

GREAT posts, Watching You! :cheerful:

:balloons: :balloons:

14. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Wonder when a reporter will grow some brass ones and ask :doughboy: why he keeps feeding info to the one forum mistress on the Internet that anyone who knows the Ramsey case gives zero credibility to - if in fact he is and she's not doing her usual :lier:

:wood: opinion regarding Forums for Justice members and leadership is not only totally irrelevant - it's dead wrong. JMH&CPO

15. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Woodenhead

Lin Wood's puerile insults will get him nowhere with anyone who matters.

I read today that Dominick Dunne's lawyer is ready to demolish Woody in the Condit suit.

From Reuters:

Laura Handman, a lawyer representing Dunne, said that while the ruling allows the suit to proceed, Condit will have a tough battle in overcoming her client's free speech protection.

"We are confident he will be unable to meet this burden," she said.

16. Watching You

I also think Woody bin Laden is going to have a tough time with this lawsuit. Apparently, there will be no settlement this time, and Woody will have to be a real lawyer and litigate the case in court. Woody threatened Dominic in a public way. He won't be facing Darnay Hoffman this time.

Dominic's attorney is a woman. I hope she b1tchslaps him good.

17. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

How about a nice one, two, three knockout for the Woodster? First the Dunne thrashing, then the removal of the case from Keenan et al, then the finishing Fox blow. Wow! Another Yertle the Turtle gets his glory knocked into the mud...Irrelevant my sorry :(:(:(....I got yer irrelevant right here, Wood!

18. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

OMG a virgin litigation for :wood: the cowboy who has NEVER been to court!

19. Niner

Niner Active Member

Bahahwawawawawawa!! :poke: :cheerful:

Now come clean my monitor!! TOTALLY Great!! :sothere:

GO LAURA!!

20. Misty4

Misty4 Member

Hi Tricia,

I've read where Candy wants her name off of the petition. Can you not just cross it off on the paper copy? One name crossed off out of 1,000 that were obtained is nothing. The RST can use your unwillingness to cross out that name in a negative light and after all the work you've put into this, you wouldn't want that to happen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice