Annual race honors missing Rachel Cooke

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", May 3, 2004.

1. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

KVUE.com

You can get some exercise and support a good cause with the third annual 5K Run/Walk for Rachel.

It will be Saturday, May 15 at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock. The event begins at 8 a.m.

The competitive run and non-competitive run/walk honors Rachel Cooke, an accomplished cross-country runner. ...snip

All proceeds from the $20 registration fee go to the Rachel Alert Network, or RAN, which promotes public safety and supports families of missing persons.

The Run/Walk is the organization's primary source of income. The $20 entry fee gets you a t-shirt and food from Applebee's and Round Rock Donuts.

If you have questions, log on to www.rachelalert.org/run.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/043004kvueRachelrun-eh.1733c11c3.html

2. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Reminder

This is just a reminder about the Run/Walk for Rachel. On-line registration close Wednesday night, May 12.

The 2004 Run/Walk for Rachel is coming up on Saturday, May 15. Information about the 5K run/walk may be found on rachelalert.org/run .

People are always asking how they can help us. One way is to go on-line and register for the run/walk. If you can't attend, send me an e-mail at info@rachelalert.org after you register and I will send you a run/walk T-shirt. (U.S.A. residents only)

Your $20 will go to fund the activities of Rachel Alert Network. an example of one of our activities are the M.U.S.T. seminars. Information about the M.U.S.T. seminars may be found at rachelalert.org/must .

3. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Remembering Rachel's birthday.

May 10<SUP>th</SUP> of any year, was the birthday of Rachel Cooke. Today, she would have been 22 years old. Rachel was abducted while finishing her morning run, on January 10<SUP>th</SUP>, 2002, less than 200 yards from the front door of her home. Her case is still open and unsolved. Her father, Robert Cooke is a member of FFJ, and a man who is relentless in the pursuit of finding his daughter. A man who we all admire, and a man who will not give up until he brings his daughter home.

There are a lot of ways we can honor Robert and Rachel right now. The annual run/walk for Rachel is this coming Saturday, May 15<SUP>th</SUP>
    rachelalert.org/run .

The work he has done in establishing the Rachel Alert Network, and the time he has given to others in need, other searches, and support to families in need of his expertise and his compassion, while in the midst of his own wondering and grief cannot be equaled.

So RC, I am thinking of you today on the 22<SUP>nd</SUP> anniversary of Rachel's birth. I wish you success with the annual Run/Walk for Rachel this year, and with the cookbook coming out in a couple months and hope the Rachel Alert Network reaps the money it deserves to continue the work you are doing for the community and in the continuing efforts to find Rachel!

4. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

The Cooke family observed Rachel's 22nd birthday in a small private family gathering that included the unveiling of a permanent plaque in front of Rachel's tree The plaque is engraved with her full name, Rachel Louise Cooke and the date she went missing, January 10, 2002. The family placed fresh cut flowers along with white, pink and yellow roses around the base of the tree and laced some of them in the branches of the tree. RC tied a balloon, which read "Happy Birthday," to one of the branches of the tree. Aunt Elaine read a a favorite scripture and Aunt Diane read from a bookmark, which had one of Rachel's grandmother's favorite sayings on it. Everyone then circled Rachel's tree and held hands as Rachel's aunt led us in prayer. After the prayer, RC asked that we remain in place for a moment of silence remembering the joyful times with Rachel. The tears being shed were not tears of joy. The days do not get easier for this family. We must bring Rachel home.

The family left Georgetown High School and had dinner together at Applebees. During dinner they discussed plans for the Run/Walk registration on Thursday and Friday and the actual Run/Walk, which will be on Saturday 15 May. http://rachelalert.org/run It will be a very busy week for the Cooke family.

Note: Unfortunately, when I started to upload the pictures they were deleted from the camera due to a glitch in my computer. I am ordering some software that should allow me to retrieve them. I will post them at a later date.

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  5. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Help JR,

I've tried to log onto the underlined on the web site so that I can register for the race even though I will not be attending and it comes up with a OOPS and doesn't go anywhere. I've tried 3 times. Can you help me?

6. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Sorry zoo. Try http://www.rachelcookesearch.org/ then click on the box that says, "Run/Walk for Rachel," that's on the left corner of the page and drop down to "register on-line." If that doesn't work let me know and I will call RC to see if he can help. The link works for me but I am sure I have cookies to it from here to next year. ;)

Since you are not attending the event, you can can send a check to:
    Rachel Alert Network
    P.O. Box 1672
    Georgetown, TX 78627-1672

and include a note with the check that gives your T-shirt size and address to mail the shirt to instead of registering on-line if you would rather do so.

Edited to correct PO Box per RC's post. I know better too. Duh!

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  7. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Please send any checks to our P.O. Box if you want a T-shirt. The bank is for donations only. We don't always get a breakdown of who donates. You can print out a registration form here: http://rachelalert.org/registration.html, but a hand written note will do.

Rachel Alert Network
    P.O. Box 1672
    Georgetown, TX 78627-1672

8. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

9. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Thanks for the correction RC. I thought I had posted the RAN PO box - guess I am still half asleep from working a 28 hour shift this weekend.

10. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Thanks JR

Done and in the mail! Hope the race day is a great success!

11. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Thanks Zoo. :hug: Your hug is here but smilies don't work on this thread.

12. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Final Reminder

This is just a final reminder that the on-line registration closes tonight, Wednesday, May 12 for the 2004 Run/Walk for Rachel. Information about the Run/Walk may be found on rachelalert.org/run

Thanks to those who have contributed. I know RC appreciates your help and I do too. The funds support the M.U.S.T seminars, which are excellent and a really good cause. http://rachelalert.org/must.html Rachel Alert Network (RAN) is very close to having trained 500 women at these seminars.

If anyone wants to hop a plane and attend live I have lots of floor space now - just bring a sleeping bag and PM me to let me know you are coming. Texan you and Mr. T can drive down after work on Friday and spend the night if you want to. Just be aware that RC wants the worker bees at the park by 6 a.m. so you may be awakened early.

13. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Rachel's Aunt Diane mans the RunTex registration desk at RunTex La Frontera. Registrations have been slow this year perhaps due to all the rain we've had but the sun came out today so...

Attached Files:

14. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Rachel's Aunt Elaine chats with Donnie at RunTex La Frontera.

Attached Files:

15. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

The 2004 Run/Walk T-shirt is displayed on the registration table.

Attached Files:

16. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Thank you Moab. You are an angel for posting these so quickly. I appreciate it and I am sure RC does too. OK I am really going to bed now even if sleep fails me. Dark o'clock comes way too early. Yawn....

BTW, people are saying this is the best t-shirt design yet.

I'll be back after the race with pictures of the race so stand by if you would Darlin' ZZZZzzzzzz....zzz.....zz....z..

17. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

The 3rd Annual Run/Walk for Rachel Cooke was held this morning at Old Settler's park in Round Rock, Texas. RC, members of the Cooke family, and MAC arrived at the park as early as 5:45 a.m. (knowing Grandpa maybe even 5:30) to start setting up for the event. JR managed to straggle in slightly after 6 a.m. arriving only a few minutes "late," to start making a permanent record of the event on camera.

"Dark o'clock," coffee is perking and everyone has started munching on the Round Rock donuts MAC picked up on her way to the park.

Photo ©Jacqueline L. Riggs 2004

Attached Files:

18. Tricia

B.A.C.A. (Bikers Against Child Abuse) teamed with the Cookes again this year and held court around the delicious donuts until it was time to manage the parking. (He may look tough but he has a heart as sweet as that donut when it comes to children - just don't abuse one - donuts are not too sweet either once they sit for a while.)

http://www.bacausa.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2004
  19. Tricia

The media also recorded the event and word has it the photographer didn't get her camera up quick enough this year.

Robert and Janet interview with News 8 Austin.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2004
  20. Tricia

There has been a lot of rain in Central Texas this week. Many people are now dealing with their ruined homes - two days after heavy rain poured over parts of Central Texas. This may be one of the reasons registrations were down about 50% for the Run/Walk this year. Your heart breaks for the people who are dealing with the loss of their homes and it breaks for the RC and his family who worked so hard to make the Run/Walk for Rachel a successful event.

Rachel's Aunt Diane takes walk in registrations at the park.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice