John Ramsey's Speech Text/Pictures from the rally

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JustinCase, May 11, 2004.

1. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Announcement Rally
    Speech Text
    Tuesday, May 11, 2004
    Thank you, I am very greatful that all of you, my friends, are here today. You have been and continue to be a blessing to me and my family. I do hope you are here because you support my candidacy and not because of the great flapjack hotdogs we are grilling outside. Speaking of my candidacy, I am excited to tell you that I have filed the official paper work this morning and as of this moment am off and running for the opportunity to serve you and the citizens of Northern Michigan as your representative to the state legislature. As I have been listening to you and other members of our community over the past three months, a common question is: Why are you running for public office?â€. I am running for this office for two reasons; 1) I am at the stage of life where I want to make a lasting difference in my community. You all have been my friends and have supported us in good times, and most importantly, through our darkest hours. Michigan has been our community for a long time. Our family roots began here almost 50 years ago.– I went to jr. high, high school, and college here – all my children have many happy memories built around Michigan. Despite the fact that my working career has required our family to live in many parts of the world, we have always come home to Michigan. It has always been home base for the heart of our family, regardless of where we all might roam. This is my community. I am proud of it. I am greatful for it. And, I have a genuine compassion to lead and make a difference for this community. 2) Second, the adage in life of moving from “success to significance†is very real for me having been born out of the difficulties our family has survived. Through this horrible time, I have learned what is most important in life; faith, family, friends, security, peace of mind. I have learned that God is faithful in His promises to us. I have learned that we all must have hope in life. I have learned that individual dignity is a precious commodity but a very fragile one. And I have learned tht dignity is not borne out of material things. I have also learned that life is not easy. Life is difficult for many many of our neighbors. Throughout our ordeal that really began with the death of my oldest daughter Beth in 1992, countless fellow strugglers reached out to us with a helping hand. Most I did not know before. It greatly softened my heart and changed how I viewed what I should be doing with my life. And thankfully, the support we received from many 100’s of people, after the loss of JonBene’t, was overwhelming and helped us walk when we could not. Because of my daughters, I have learned to genuinely care about making a difference in people’s lives.That is significance to me. . Of course, a common question asked by the media is “How will the veil of suspicion we cast upon you effect your campaign? Well, they really didn’t say “ that we cast upon you†but never the less, it is a legitimate question. For three years, our nine year old son, my wife Patsy, and I, were all at one time or another accused in the print and TV tabloid media of being responsible for the death of our sister and child Thankfully, good people with courage insured that truth would prevail. As you know, approximately one year ago, a Federal Judge, and the District Attorney stood up and stated strongly that there was no evidence anyone in the family was involved and there was a preponderance of evidence making it clear that an intruder did enter our home sometime that evening in 1996. We of course, knew that. As most of you also know, the case was then put in the hands of a very competent investigative team, strong DNA evidence was extracted, and we now have strong hope that this most vicious of all killers will be identified. But no doubt, there will still be some who are unaware of the facts, or those that don’t want to be confused with facts, and who will continue to doubt. They will be there until the killer is caught - but I think they are in the minority. Sadly a small few of them will still be there even after the killer is convicted. That is the way the world works. We cannot let that intimidate us. I cannot let evil win. Our family will go on with its life. We have contributions to make. We now have the added responsibility to make contributions to make on JonBene’t and Beth’s behalf. What does my candicacy bring to the table? Most important I believe, is real world experience. I am not a politician. I have never been a politician. I represent to you that this is a plus.One of the shortcomings we have at all levels of Government, , is that there are not enough people bringing real world experience to public office. Far to often, we have people in government who have done nothing else. The last thing we need at this juncture in our country are more career politicians. Our founding fathers didn’t envision this. They were citizen/legislators. You see, career politicians are too often afraid to step out in front and do what is right. True leadership is being the first to lead a parade that develops around an idea. Too often, our politicians find a parade that they can jump out in front of to lead. Consequently, major change never takes place. One of my work life hero’s was Admiral Elmo Zumwalt. Those of you who were in the U.S. Navy during the Viet Nam era as I was will remember Admiral Zumwalt. At that time he was Chief of Naval Operations – the highest uniformed position in the Navy. Admiral Zumwalt made major changes to the Navy and how it operated. Not easy in an old bureaucracy like the Navy. When asked what he thought was the key to his rapid rise through the ranks of the Navy to the very top position, he replied, I always looked at every job I was given in the Navy as my last. I did what I thought was right, regardless of whether or not it advanced my career. We need elected representatives in Government who will not compromise their core values and who will do what is right, regardless. In addition, and equally important, we need more people in Government who have had the responsibility of meeting payrolls every week, people who have had to live within budgets, people who understand the importance of a vibrant workforce to both a employer and the community, people who know how to efficiently use resources and stay competitive in an increasingly competitive world. People who spend money prudently because they know the very existence of their business depends on it. One way to learn these lessons is to run your own business, be it large or small. There are other ways too, but this is how I learned these important lessons. That skill set needs to take control in our state and federal government today. Most businesses reinvent how they do business in order to stay in business over the long haul. All Businesses do so when times are difficult. When the economy is soft and sales are slow, businesses must make tough decisions. They cannot simply bring in more revenue by raising the price of their products. Our Government rarely reinvents itself, it usually just asks for more money. The ancient philosopher Plato made the observation that “Democracy is doomed when its citizens realize they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.†I think we are dangerously close to that path. Tough times make a business shed fat and inefficiencies. It should do the same in our Government. The result is always an organization that will be more effective in the future. I’ve been blessed with a lifetime of solid experience that I believe has prepared me to effectively serve the interests of Northern Michigan.. I said I had a compassion to lead. Let me tell you why I think Leaders, in a government that truly serves the needs of its citizens, need a genuine compassion to lead effectively. True compassion is normally born out of sharing the same experience. Perhaps the most difficult struggle for me in deciding to be a candidate is to realize that I will be called a politician. We don’t have much respect for our politicians these days. And many would argue that they have earned that. My task in doing this job well in my mind, will be to not become “a politicianâ€. It’s not unusual to hear politicians say, if elected I will fight for jobs, lower health care costs, protection of life, and so forth and so on. Those things are the politically correct things to say and they are critically ones today. But the real question is, do our leaders say those things to get elected or are they genuinely have compassion for these issues. Do they really know how people struggle who have lost their jobs or have no health insurance? Do they know first the devastating consequences? Do they really understand the sanctity of life and the miracle of life. I have lost two beautiful children. I understand. Do our leaders say these things simply because they have found a parade to jump out in front of and lead? Up to the moment our life turned into grief and chaos, I was running a growing successful company and we were at the top of our game, I had never experienced loosing my job, loosing my life savings, not having health insurance when a family member was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, being a victim of the most violent of crimes. Did you know, for example, that most people who are victims of violent crimes end up penniless? I didn’t know that. Yes, I knew others dealt with troubles and I had sympathy for them, but I did not have the compassion for their struggle and I certainly did not have the passion to fight for change. You see, when we lost JonBene’t, we eventually lost all other things too. My job, our life savings, our health insurance, and of course, the most important part of our lives, our child. I can tell that when you suffer these losses yourself, you truly have compassion and deep understanding for the plight of the many other families in our community and across the country who have suffered these losses – families destroyed by crime, people who have lost their jobs and had their livelihoods and dignity and sense of purpose stripped away from them as we did, and of course, the most severe blow that I can imagine, the loss of a child. Throughout our ordeal, many, many good people reached out to us with compassion. Most were people who were struggling themselves and had true compassion for helping their fellow man. They took time to help us. It touched my heart deeply. One example was an elderly lady who wrote us a very kind letter and in it apologized for not writing earlier but explained that she did not have the money to buy a stamp. When you confront these difficult circumstances in life, your priorities change. I can tell you I have changed from a person who was very focused on personal success to a person who is now anxious to serve my fellow man. Those countless strangers who had their own troubles, yet reached out to us during our most desperate time of need. They made a difference in my life. They gave me compassion for the needs of others. That is what I mean by a compassion to lead. Finally, when evaluating which candidate you would like to give the responsibility to represent you, I expect that you will find that most, if not all of the candidates in this Republican primary will share similar views on the benchmark issues as I do. What I urge you to do is consider which voice will be heard the loudest in speaking for your interests. Borne out of the tragedy of the loss of our daughter JonBene’t, I have been given a platform - one that I did not seek and if I could reverse the events of that night, I would give everything to do so. But my task I believe, is to use that platform for good. The Bible promises us that God makes all things man meant for evil to work for good. I believe in that promise. Your state representative will be one voice among many voices in the legislature. I believe I can be a voice for you that can be heard loudly and strongly.. It would be an honor for me to represent the citizens of Antrim, Cheboygan, Charlevoix and Otsego counties. We have honored by your friendship. To give me the responsibility to represent you would be honoring me with your trust. It is an honor I would devote my full self to confirming the wisdom of that trust.Your being here is a great help and encouragment. But we are just beginning. There’s lots to do, there are many needs, and its critical to our success that you get involved. We need yard signs, we need you to talk to your neighbors, we need letters to the editor, and we need your financial support. I promise I will do the best I can possibly do to represent you well. Thankyou and God Bless you all for being involved!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2004
  2. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

3. imon128

imon128 Banned

"...People who spend money prudently because they know the very existence of their business depends on it. One way to learn these lessons is to run your own business, be it large or small. "

I guess those are people OTHER than Patsy who went through money like it was water, when she put on her "Gone With the Wind" gala for John's company and spent around $37,000, (feel free to correct me if that figure isn't a correct approximation) overshooting his budget for a luncheon by thousands. Recall the picture of Patsy in the long, striped gown?

(Patsy's spending on JonBenet's pageants, refurbishing homes, etc., must have slipped his mind. )

Or maybe he needs to define 'prudent' for us. Until he does, I think Patsy's spending went waaaay overbudget and I don't find that 'prudent'.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

"I am greatful for it"

Did jameson write this speech? "Greatful?" Good Gawd. Is that just another indication of how full of greatness he thinks he is?

I admit to not reading all that BS. I waded through the first long part about poor pitiful himself. For someone not wanting JB's murder to be part of his campaign, he's sure using it for the sympathy vote, isn't he? Well, he's the one who brought all of it up. I suspect it is fair game for his opponents, now that he has made all these claims.

But, like I said, there will be those who will fall for his poor me crap. What a pathetic creep, using his daughter's tragic death to gain the sympathy vote. Michigan, if you elect this guy, I truly feel sorry for you.

5. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Please tell me you all had a peek at the campaign commercial that's posted on that site!!

You were right WY, not ten words into the commercial he already uses JonBenet's name; not only does he need to use her name but he rambles on and on about how he's innocent and the accusations made against him are 'groundless'.

6. Watching You

You know what that bastid's doing? He's using this as a platform to promote his personal agenda of clearing his name in the public. That's exactly what he's doing. What a piece of work.

7. imon128

imon128 Banned

Is this his new resumé? :yes:

I think he's after a paying job so he doesn't become a 'beer can collecter' without 'two nickels to rub together'.

Yes, I agree he's trying to clear his name and most likely also to get some clout over LE folks, however he can. Did I say 'can'?

8. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Omg!

The speech is twice as long as his Boulder Police Department interview answers!

After years of reading "I don't know," I forgot," and "I can't remember" - I'm impressed with his new words whether he spells them correctly or not!

:mears:
    RR!

9. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

From the speech text:

"But no doubt, there will still be some who are unaware of the facts, or those that don’t want to be confused with facts, and who will continue to doubt. They will be there until the killer is caught - but I think they are in the minority. Sadly a small few of them will still be there even after the killer is convicted. That is the way the world works. We cannot let that intimidate us. I cannot let evil win. Our family will go on with its life."

I'm still howling at:
    "there will still be some who are unaware of the facts, or those that don’t want to be confused with facts"

He reassures them that he KNOWS there will be doubt, and that those that are doubting [that'd be us] are unable to decipher fact from fiction, that's a pretty interesting way to see things; it's ironic how that's EXACTLY what the Ramsey's have acted like the whole last seven years before this election!!

They acted like all the evidence the police put forth as "solid" was just a joke and easily explained away, now he's taking the only realy evidence he has that doesn't point to him or his wife and using it to further his political career? Priceless!!

Sadly a small few of them will still be there even after the killer is convicted.

This part convinced me that he's guilty as all get out, why the need to say this? He KNOWS that a killer will be brought to justice for this murder? And he knows that after that there will still be people out there that say they did it, hmmm wonder why that could be?? This isn't a negative outlook on the future of his 'Campaign Of Innocence '04", this is directly speaking to those of us who KNOW no intruder exists, let's all stick around so that an innocent man doesn't get convicted of this crime.

10. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

"We need elected representatives in Government who will not compromise their core values and who will do what is right, regardless."--John
    Ramsey

Boy this is really preaching to the choir...

Sorry, this is getting obsessive. I can't help but just take everything he says so personally, why on earth would he want this kind of attention if he didn't think it would help him win the election? He's already the first nationally recognized candidate and this is just the beginning. I'm coming along for the ride but I'd be happier letting the air out if his tires.

11. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Well...seems Mr. Ramsey is now a "public person," whether he likes it or not. JMH&CPO

My books are packed and in storage. Does anyone have their books handy because correct me if I am wrong but didn't John specifically state the reason he was calling Mike Archuleta was that they (the Ramseys) "were going home to Atlanta," within minutes of that child's body being found?

12. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Yeah to all above AND now all us good Christians who just simply are not only too stupid to understand the facts but accept them are EVIL too? Ha! Although John Ramsey thinks he's God, thank God he's not. "My sheep hear My voice and follow..." Baaa baaa, Lord....and oh yeah, have mercy on this psychopath and his Phatsy wife, but mostly on the good people of Michigan. Amen.

13. Watching You

He's trying his case in the public, pure and simple. What a travesty.

14. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I think so too WY, cause even if he loses the primary, he has "spoken" to the "public" in a public venue. He is scum.

15. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

According to our source, who ROCKS by the way, John Ramsey kept his 100 or so supporters waiting over an hour. Patsy was there however. Greeting people and looking very fine herself.

First picture. Our source shows up with book in hand. Notice the large throng of supporters (NOT) in the background.

Attached Files:

16. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Great Reporting, FFJ!

Right on the spot wherever news is being made in the Ramsey case! Another scoop for "The Bees".

Way to go!

One complaint--the first post should have come with a large BARF ALERT!

Success to Significance--give me a break. Not in your lifetime, John Ramsey, you flippin' hypocrite.

17. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Traverse City News--online edition

LATEST NEWS
    Top Stories
    May 11, 9:19 PM EDT

Ramsey files to run for Michigan state House

By JOHN FLESHER
    Associated Press Writer

CHARLEVOIX, Mich. (AP) -- John Ramsey, father of slain child beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey, announced his candidacy for the Michigan state House on Tuesday, saying his loss had given him "a compassion to lead."

"Borne out of the tragedy of the loss of our daughter, JonBenet, I have been given a platform - one that I did not seek, and if I could reverse the events of that night, I would give everything to do so," Ramsey said during a rally in his adopted hometown.

"But my task I believe, is to use that platform for good."

Ramsey acknowledged that some people might continue to suspect him or his wife, Patsy, in JonBenet's death. He said some doubters never will be convinced of the Ramseys' innocence even if the killer is caught.

***snip***

"I cannot let evil win; our family will go on with its life."

Supporters said they had no doubt of the Ramseys' innocence and did not believe the unsolved case would be a political liability.

"There's no cloud over them," retired businessman Dawson Way said, dismissing the suspicions as "just bad press." :lier:

Ramsey filed to run for the northwestern Lower Peninsula seat Tuesday, the last day to file for the Aug. 3 primary election.

He is one of six Republicans and two Democrats running for the seat representing Antrim, Charlevoix and Otsego counties and part of Cheboygan County. The seat now is held by state Rep. Ken Bradstreet, a Gaylord Republican who can't run again because of term limits.

Ramsey's family has lived in Charlevoix full-time since last fall after living in Colorado and Georgia. Cable TV talk host Larry King plans to have Ramsey on his show Wednesday night to discuss Ramsey's approach to job creation in northern Michigan. He also was to appear Wednesday on "Good Morning America" and "The Today Show."

"It's most unusual to have a celebrity - however you want to characterize that - running for the state Legislature in Michigan," said Craig Ruff of Public Sector Consultants, a Lansing think tank. "The national media will have a field day. So will state media."

The Ramsey family became the focus of intense media scrutiny after their daughter, JonBenet, was found dead in the basement of the family's Boulder, Colo., home in December 1996. No one has been charged in the 6-year-old's death.

Tuesday was the filing deadline in Michigan to run for several federal, state and local offices, including the 110-member state House. Thirty-seven House members can't run again because they have served their maximum stint of three two-year terms allowed under term limits.

***snip***

18. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Ladies and Gentlemen let's have a round of applause for MISS AURORA

Yes the wonderful woman who called out the name, "murderer" only to have Patsy turn around and look at her. That event took place several years ago.

However when duty calls Aurora jumps on the front line.

Here is Miss Patsy signing her book for Aurora.

Attached Files:

19. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Thanks for the scoop Aurora. Wonder how long it will take the Code 6 Wing Nut to accuse you of stalking this time.

20. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice