Gaylord Herald Times Editorial on Ramsey campaign

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Why_Nut, May 24, 2004.

1. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

I am pleased to see important voices, in the voting area Ramsey needs to appeal to, are skeptical enough to refrain from buying John's surface campaign of "My daughter died, pity me, vote for me, I will make your lives full of sunshine and rainbows because I have stopped being the selfish bastid I was for sixty years and you need me more than ever."

http://www.gaylordheraldtimes.com/articles/2004/05/24/news/opinion/opinion02.txt

Candidate Ramsey
    By Jim Grisso

Let me make it clear that I don't begrudge this man the opportunity to run for public office. Granted, he and his wife have been burdened for the past eight years by speculation and controversy in the Dec. 26, 1996 murder of their 6-year-old daughter, JonBenet, in their Boulder, Colo. home.

But he says he's been given a "platform" (to run for office). The platform is his daughter's death and ensuing investigation, which has not been closed. He wants to use that platform for the "good" (of the people).

I would prefer his platform be based on what he can do in Lansing for the counties of Otsego, Antrim, Charlevoix and Cheboygan, in particular, and the state of Michigan in general. The mere fact he has suddenly become a permanent resident of Charlevoix, or that he has an unusual "platform," does not qualify him for public office.

The Ramseys' experience in Michigan has been primarily limited to living the good life as summertime resorters overlooking the yacht basin in Charlevoix. He says he will focus on jobs, but what does John Ramsey really know about working people in our area? What qualifies him to make important decisions for northern Michigan, not to mention the entire state?

All voters in the district should probe deeply into this man's background and qualifications - and political agenda. Of course, the same holds true for all candidates.

Ramsey may have gotten off on the wrong political foot in Otsego County when he became a no-show for the North Central Michigan Homebuilders Association candidate forum in Gaylord Tuesday evening. He was the only candidate not represented.

I understand he has an impressive array of politicos and public relations people working for him, but somewhere along the line he will have to come out from behind the TV cameras and talk to us common folks.

As a newspaperman, I plan to invite Ramsey as well as the other candidates to our office to discuss with our editorial board where they stand on what's really important in this election.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

This is an excellent article.

A bit of deja vu, there? Seems Owens made a similar statement a few years ago about the Ramseys coming out from behind his lawyers. Seems he likes to let others run interference for him.

One can't help but notice the slam against Ramsey thinking he knows anything about how the ordinary working man lives from day to day. He used his notoriety from the murder of the death of his daughter as his platform to enter politics, has not said anything of substance about the issues facing voters or how he plans to solve some of those issues, and has made contradicting statements as to what part of the country is "home" to him.

Apparently Ramsey is so full of himself that he actually thinks his underlings are stupid and he can continue to spin crap and people aren't going to smell it. I think his days as a candidate are limited.

3. Aurora

Aurora Member

Good Article

Now...that is what I call unbias reporting. Maybe it will make people think about the FACT that Ramsey isn't really qualified...but is getting press...etc...due to the notoriety of his daughter's unsolved murder. A lot of us feel he should be campaigning to find the so called killer instead of trying to do penance on her behalf. Ramsey thinks evil can be masked by doing something ...good. *HA*

4. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Grisso is 100% correct. Even if John Ramsey wants to use his business experience as an accolade, one needs to examine that experience. Once Access Graphics achieved a certain level of sales you can be dang sure there was a board of directors establishing the business plan and to whom JR had to answer to for his business decisions. Before that, well you know what they say, behind every successful man is a woman. In this case, there is speculation that the woman behind JR lost control to the point of no return and JR is covering for her and if she did not then he did. It all leads to some very demanding questions and again as WY says, Grisso has called it,

Woody cannot double dip on this one by being the front runner for that talk and riding John's coattails by following up with law suits when questions are asked...and some tough questions are going to be asked. JMH&CPO

Not only are Ramsey's days as a candidate limited but Woody's days of being the Ramsey's :doughboy: are now limited. I am willing to wager this is why he has been so quiet lately. He advised Ramsey not to run and Ramsey, being more arrogant than even Wood himself, gave Woody the :booty: (Again, JMH&CPO)

5. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

"Interestingly, conservative Republican incumbent Ken Bradstreet of Gaylord, who, unfortunately, can't seek re-election because of term limits, said he would publicly support a conservative Democrat in the general election if Ramsey won the primary."

This is something to shake a stick at, isn't it??

"He [Bradstreet] said he's thoroughly researched the JonBenet case and is not comfortable with Ramsey's candidacy."

"voters in the district should probe deeply into this man's background and qualifications - and political agenda. Of course, the same holds true for all candidates."

Good for him!! Let's just hope more voters are reading here and elsewhere, they can find out anything they need to know about his background by simply reading or asking questions, I'm sure nobody here will have trouble with assisting them.

I love this man!!

6. Watching You

This only goes to prove that Lin Wood was wrong when he said the public is coming around to believing in Ramsey innocence, or words to that effect. He made it sound as if we beer-collecting, insignificant and irrelevant forum dwellers were the only ones still believing they could be involved in their daughter's death.

Sounds to me as if the general public has a lot of questions regarding the case.

7. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Great article, and a challenge to the voters in MI!

Seems to me the Ramseys' move to Atlanta was three-fold: (1) to get outta Dodge/Colorado effectively putting distance between them and the law (extradition back to CO should criminal charges have been filed would have been required; (2) to look good that they relocated to be near JB's gravesite, even though their visits to it were very few and far between; (3) to be in Woody's jurisdiction for the purpose of filing civil suits. Woody could not have represented the Ramseys without co-counsel in other states, just as he'll need in CO in the Fox case.The courts in Atlanta are LW's stomping grounds and therefore he enjoys golden boy status as opposed to out-of-state attorneys, and probably social relationships with some judges on the bench. Interesting that they pulled up roots to move to MI right after the last of the civil suits, according to Wood, was filed in Atlanta.

I think the Ramseys use geography, and the residents there, just as they use everything and everyone else, to their own advantage. If articles like this one disclosing truth and challenging voters to investigate their candidates continue to run, I've no doubt not only will John Ramsey lose this election but, shortly thereafter, they will pull up stakes and relocate again.

It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond......

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Whoa!

Great editorial!

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can hardly ever fool Northern Michiganders.

9. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Snicker

The GAYLORD TIMES? That is like so gay.

10. BobC

Imagine how embarrassing it would be telling people you worked for the Gaylord Times.

I'm sorry but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

11. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

BobC

Goodness, how our minds work :) I actually thought "Gaylord" sounded Christmassy! One of my oldest and dearest friends is called Gay (not a nickname and with no e) so the word doesn't tend to conjure up connotations with me.

12. Watching You

I hate to tell you this, but I had an shirt-tail relative once or twice removed named Gaylord - first name. They pronounced it Gay-lerd. He must be dead by now - I was just a youngun when I met him and he was older than dirt, then, or so it seemed to me. I don't think he was gay at all; I seem to recall my dad saying what a no good womanizer Gaylord was. Of course, that could have all been a cover for his gaylordness.

13. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

What?!

There is no Lord of the Gays?! There is a Lord of the Ring and a Lord of the Apes!!! I can't believe this in this day and time of acceptance.

Maybe we should have an election?!

RR

PS - I happen to Love everything that Gaylord brought to the table for us to enjoy.

14. BobC

I'm terrified

I'm terrified that that newspaper may be trying to promote an unnatural lifestyle! There may even be crimes against nature being perpetrated! DON'T US TAXPAYERS HAVE A VOICE ANYMORE?!!!!!

15. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Okay - so much for my first nominee.

RR

16. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Geez, Bob, what does it matter if this newspaper is gay or straight? It's a great article and the more the truth is published, the better. Wonder how Santa Bill felt when he learned the Rs were so blatantly slandering him... :eek:fftopic:

17. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

BobC you best behave yourself or Miss Tricia will be swiping more than your table.

:sban:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2004
  18. Watching You

Hey J_R, you see where it says Watching you edited your post? Well, I didn't. Not really. See, here's what happened.

I thought I clicked on "quote" on your post so I could post a response that went like this:

"Heh, JR, you'd think Bob was gay or something."

However, I didn't click on "quote," I must have hit "edit" instead, and you realize that as a super moderator with super powers, I can edit your posts, hahahahaha.

This is the second time I've done this. Somebody oughtta ban me.

Please forgive me. I have halfsheimers.

19. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

Okay...

so I thought that between Austin being the Wierdness Epicenter of Texas, and BobC being a fellow artist (all my art instructors in college were either ancient hippies or gay, you just get tolerant real fast...) that he would be less PHOBIC of the Gaylord newspaper, for cryin' out loud...that columnist ROCKS in his portrayal of the JR candidacy, y'know. :headbang:

20. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Wy???

:sban: ...just you wait and see!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice