Grand Jury is NOT looking into anything Ramsey

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2937353,00.html

Ramsey case not on the docket
    But Boulder DA sheds no more light on jury's business

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
    June 4, 2004

A grand jury meeting in Boulder County is not considering the JonBenet Ramsey case, the county's chief prosecutor said Thursday.

Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan made that declaration in the wake of a Rocky Mountain News report that a grand jury empaneled Feb. 9 in Boulder had met several times since that date on an undisclosed case.

The use of grand juries is rare in Boulder. The last known time one was utilized was for the Ramsey case in 1998-99, before it disbanded after 13 months with no indictments issued.

"There is no Boulder grand jury looking into the Ramsey case, or anything relating to the Ramsey case," Keenan said.

The previous day, she had declined to discuss the grand jury's business at all, citing the secrecy rules that apply to grand juries in Colorado. On Thursday, she still refused to reveal what the grand jury is doing.

News that a grand jury was meeting in Boulder prompted numerous calls to Lin Wood, the Atlanta attorney who has represented the Ramsey family for several years.

Wood said John Ramsey remains upbeat about the prospect of progress in the ongoing investigation into the Christmas night 1996 murder of his 6-year-old daughter, for which Keenan's office now has lead responsibility.

"He expressed optimism to me that progress was being made, but said nothing specific beyond that," Wood said.

Boulder Chief District Judge Roxanne Bailin signed an order on Feb. 10 keeping the names of the current Boulder grand jurors secret; absent such an order, grand jurors' names are public record.

*snip*

`````````````````````````````````````````

I am so glad to hear this news.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Well, I guess I can put my high horse back out to pasture for a while, then.

It's ironic, isn't it, that a GJ is so seldom used in Boulder that it becomes news when one is used and speculation runs rampant. In my county, GJ's are a way of life.

Thanks, Tricia.

3. Tez

Tez Member

What the GJ is investigating....

Link to Daily Times Call Story

BOULDER — A grand jury is investigating the Longmont homicide of 86-year-old Charles Wilson.

Boulder County chief trial deputy Bryan Quiram confirmed Thursday that a grand jury was convened Feb. 9 in Boulder to examine evidence in the 2003 slaying of the gas station clerk at Peerless Tyre, 1380 S. Main St.

“The general purpose of the grand jury is to investigate the Charles Wilson homicide,†Quiram said.

~~~SNIP~~~

Details of grand jury proceedings fall under strict secrecy rules, and almost all people associated with the case Thursday declined to comment about the details of the investigation.

Longmont police Chief Mike Butler also would not comment on the grand jury but said he hoped the investigation would come to a conclusion soon.

Wilson, of Erie, was found dead in a small attendant’s booth early in the morning of Feb. 13, 2003, but police believe he was shot in the abdomen late Feb. 12.

Police initially labeled David Rodriguez, 22, as their main suspect but last November said their focus had changed to Ervey Delval, 20.

Delval was a passenger in Rodriguez’s Chevrolet Suburban, which was pulled over at a Loaf ’N Jug convenience store, 200 Lashley St., about 12:30 a.m. Feb. 13 for driving with expired license plates, according to police.

Rodriguez was arrested for lying to police about his identity and on an unrelated assault warrant.

A box of .25-caliber bullets and a holster were found in Rodriguez’s vehicle, according to police.

Wilson was found dead at about 4:45 a.m. Feb. 13, after family members asked officers to check on him after he was hours late coming home from his shift at the station. Detectives believe he was killed between 9 p.m. and midnight Feb. 12.

Rodriguez is still reportedly living in Longmont. Police believe Delval has fled to Mexico. Calls to Rodriguez’s last known address went unreturned Thursday.

Earhart said detectives have investigated the theory that Delval shot Wilson and that Rodriguez drove the getaway vehicle — a Chevrolet Silverado — to a relative’s house before driving away in the Suburban that was later pulled over.

~~~SNIP~~~

No gun has been recovered in the investigation.

In early February, police handed over the case to Quiram, the prosecutor leading the grand jury.

When taking over the case, Quiram said, “Sometimes, you come to a point where a couple of extra heads really aren’t a bad thing.â€

Those heads are now a grand jury of 12 men and women and four alternates.

Grand juries are rare in Boulder County. The last one made public was empanelled in 1998 to investigate the JonBenet Ramsey homicide. It was dissolved in October 1999 with no indictments.

Former chief trial deputy Trip DeMuth said Thursday that Boulder County convenes a grand jury once every five years “on average.â€

DeMuth, who retired in 2000 after 17 years as a prosecutor, said grand juries in Boulder County have been mainly used for drug cases and homicides.

Prosecutors, DeMuth said, have a great influence over grand juries because they are the only attorneys allowed to speak to the panel, except for lawyers subpoenaed to testify.

“There is a saying: ‘A prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich,’†DeMuth said. “As a general rule, the grand jury will follow the recommendation of the prosecutor.â€

~~~SNIP~~~

I see Mr. GJ expert Trip DeMuth knows everything about GJ's now, huh? :censored:

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

This poor guy was 86 years old and working at a gas station at night?

5. Tez

Tez Member

Yep...

When I lived in Longmont, we used to go to that gas station. You couldn't pay me enough to work there. I think his family said he enjoyed working and enjoyed the people. But, still it is sad....

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Tez

Thanks for finding and posting the Longmont article.

Now we may cease all our useless speculation.

Dang! I had hoped they were investigating Lee Hill.

Tricia, it is very sad that this elderly gentleman had to meet up with these cold killers.

Hope they nail them good. Death sentences would be nice.

7. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Thanks to all who posted these articles. I have to say I'm relieved to hear this particular GJ was not convened to consider the Ramsey case. As long as it remains in Keenan's hands, clearly, there is nothing being produced for a GJ to consider. That's why FFJ's petition....

Well, that may be true with every other GJ, Tripster, but with the Ramsey GJ, Lou Smit appears to have had more influence than Kane. So what else is new????? And only with the Ramsey GJ would a defense investigator be permitted to even address a seated GJ. GJs are intended by statute to be what the Tripster says, an aid to the prosecutor, not the defendants. It appears Boulder keeps a double standard, even with their own GJs.

And as for that ham sandwich, she's now residing in Charlevoix and enjoying the hell out of signing books at political rallies and STILL hamming it up on national TV. Thanks for all your hard work, DeMuth....

Hope this GJ's assistance helps bring this poor old man's killer to justice. But if he has friends in high places, he'll be the next to announce his candidacy, maybe for Boulder County prosecutor. :monty:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice