"Don't go there"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

"You're way of of line here."

"Don't go there."

Who said these words?

Patsy? Well, yes.

But, she's not the only one.

I've been on one of my true crime story kicks lately. I've read several books over the past couple of weeks and am still going strong. I have always been an avid reader of true crime books, especially those dealing with murder. I have learned so much from reading these books, especially in reading quotes of the murderers themselves.

Over the weekend, I read "Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab The Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales," by Jefferson, Bill, Jon Bass.
    This is an excellent book, mainly because it's such a wealth of information about the body - after death. I learned about bugs, flies, maggots, and I learned that while lime may decrease the overpowering stench of death, it also delays the process of decomposition - something I didn't know before.

I have learned a lot about a lot of things, because I have read thousands of books in my life. Even some of the non-fiction books about crimes are good teachers, because the author has had to do the research in writing his book.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Actually, I had two books going within the past week - Ann Rule's ..."And Never Let Her Go... was the other book. This book was about Thomas Capano, who controlled and finally, in 1996, murdered Anne Marie Fahey, the secretary to the governor of Delaware. The Capano family was prominent and wealthy, and Thomas Capano was a respected millionaire attorney and former state prosecutor. He was known as a charming, soft-spoken family man in public, but in private, he was a "steel manipulator driven by power and greed, and capable of brutal murder."

Ann Rule is one of my favorite authors. She can tell a story like few others. One of the things that has stood out in nearly every true-crime story I've ever read is the common theme that runs through them. The criminals point their fingers at law enforcement, repeating that familiar mantra - the cops focused on me and refused to follow other leads; or, the cops were out to get me; or, the cops framed me.

Capano murdered this lovely young woman because she wanted to break off the relationship (he was married and had several other women, as well, none of them knowing about the others). He then stuffed her body into a very large cooler and dumped her 60 miles out in the ocean in shark-infested waters. Her body was never recovered.

Capano is your typical narcissist - he disrupted the trial, his own attorneys hated him, and he insisted on taking the stand. He particularly hated the district attorney, who was brilliant and well known for being a superior prosecutor. The prosecutor (Colm Connolly) used Capano's hatred to his own advantage, pushing all his hot buttons. Capano had four daughters, whom he claimed to love dearly, but that didn't keep him from trying to use them to save himself. Connolly calmly edged Capano toward losing his composure, and then he touched on how Capano used his own daughters. Capano totally lost it and showed it.

The angry answers to a couple of questions Connolly asked were - "Don't go there," ("Don't go there, pal") and "You're way out of line, here." ("You're going down the wrong road...") When I read these two lines, I almost dropped the book - words that Patsy Ramsey said in her interviews with the police, or phrases with the same meaning (You're way out of line...). Both wealthy clients, both narcissistic personalities, both manipulative, both with public facades that fooled everyone, and both refused to cooperate with police.

Different types of cases, perhaps, but the only real difference was - the DA in Delaware didn't hand over evidence to the suspect's lawyers, and there were no assistant DAs in bed with the suspect's lawyers. They knew Capano murdered Fahey, but case wasn't broken until Capano's brother cracked under the pressure and came forward, with a little persuasion in the form of pressure from the feds and local government, to tell of going out on his boat and how his brother dumped Fahey's body in the ocean for shark food. There was also no renegade defective detective named Lou Smit.

The real reason JonBenet's murder has not been solved is because of collusion in the DA's office between assistant DAs and Ramsey attorneys and the continued manipulation inside that office, not to mention pure, unadulterated stupidity. Ethics is only a word to them - not a policy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice