JonBenet Ramsey an unseen presence in father's campaign for state legislature

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JustinCase, Jun 16, 2004.

1. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

JonBenet Ramsey an unseen presence in father's campaign for state legislature
    June 16, 2004, 4:37 PM

CHEBOYGAN, Mich. (AP) -- John Ramsey, candidate for the Michigan House, greets voters at his campaign office with a handshake, a complimentary hot dog -- and a book that proclaims he didn't kill his daughter.

Copies of "The Death of Innocence," John and Patsy Ramsey's version of the mysterious slaying of 6-year-old JonBenet, are displayed on a table with lapel buttons, volunteer sign-up sheet and toy Republican elephant.

A campaign flier includes a letter to would-be constituents that begins, "On Christmas night, 1996, my family experienced a parent's worst nightmare: the death of our youngest child."

Eight years after the child beauty pageant star was murdered in Boulder, Colo., JonBenet Ramsey is an unseen presence in a state legislative race some 1,500 miles away.

Many are stunned that the Ramseys would voluntarily re-enter the limelight. Suspicions linger that one of them killed JonBenet, even though the Boulder district attorney and a federal judge have said it's likelier that an intruder was responsible, as the Ramseys insist.

Ramsey's surprise entry has transformed a run-of-the-mill campaign for the 105th District House seat into a national curiosity, drawing coverage from the likes of People magazine and CNN.

He says his unwanted notoriety has given him a "platform" -- name recognition he would put to good use by promoting economic growth in the countryside and small towns of Antrim, Charlevoix, Otsego and Cheboygan counties.

With the slogan "a strong voice for northern Michigan," he campaigns as an anti-abortion, pro-gun, anti-gay-marriage conservative and a savvy businessman. He founded Access Graphics, a billion-dollar software distribution company later acquired by Lockheed Martin.

Ramsey contends he is campaigning on local issues, particularly job creation, and that voters he meets don't mention JonBenet.

But he talks about her -- in his announcement speech, in printed handouts, in a television ad to be aired before the Aug. 3 primary, when voters will choose a GOP nominee from among six hopefuls.

Scott Ingersoll, an attorney running for Cheboygan County prosecutor, says Ramsey has no choice but to address the matter head-on: "His job is to go out there and dispel the notion that he murdered his daughter.

"Your average person has an innate ability to determine whether he's sincere or not. Sometimes that determines a winner from a loser." ------

Laura Stebe needs no convincing. Ramsey "just has integrity that you can't find any more," the family's former housekeeper says, stuffing envelopes with invitations to a fund-raising cocktail party.

Stebe now works at the campaign's main headquarters in Charlevoix, the Lake Michigan tourist town where the Ramseys became full-time residents last fall after having a summer place there since 1992.

On this day, the candidate is bound for Cheboygan, 60 miles northeast on Lake Huron, to open a satellite office and knock on doors.

The Ramseys and several aides pile into their "mobile headquarters" -- a 31-foot-long motor home with couch, refrigerator, bed, microwave, television and bathroom with shower.

*More in link

2. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/state/michigan/2004-06-16-Ramsey-campaign_x.htm

In the link there's a pic of John hanging up signs in the window of the newest campaign office located on State St. in Cheboygan Michigan. His face say's he doesn't want to be doing it.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Ramsey's%20Quest

Here's another link to an article with similar contents, could be the same, I thought I saw stuff in here that I didn't see in the first one I posted.

Rich Adams, editor of the Cheboygan Daily Tribune, said that he has received no letters about the JonBenet case, and that most of the reaction has been of the "sick humor variety."

3. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw99633_20040616.htm

Thumbnail biography of John Ramsey
    June 16, 2004, 5:12 PM

NAME: John B. Ramsey

RESIDENCE: Charlevoix, Mich.

PARTY: Republican

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, Michigan State University, 1966; Master's in business administration, Michigan State University, 1971.

MILITARY: U.S. Navy, 1967-70.

POLITICAL CAREER: Candidate for Michigan House of Representatives, 2004.

PROFESSIONAL CAREER: Worked for AT&T, Acurex Corp. before starting Access Graphics in Boulder, Colo., in 1988. Company sold to Lockheed Martin in 1994. Presently, business consultant.

PERSONAL: Married to Patsy Ramsey; three living children, Burke, Melinda, John. Daughter Elizabeth died in 1992; daughter JonBenet died (try murdered) in 1996.

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Rich Adam's paper certainly did receive a letter and information on the "Truth" site.

Back later. Must make a phone call:)

Tricia

5. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

I can't believe I missed this!

"Still, Ramsey concedes that even an arrest and conviction wouldn't deter a die-hard remnant from suspecting him, his wife or son Burke, now 17.

"They're wackos," he says, wearily shaking his head. "I just hope none of them ever shows up in our front yard with a gun." ------

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw99628_20040616.htm

letters@freepress.com.

I encourage anyone who is as outraged as I am by John's latest remarks to email the freepress.com and express your views and feelings in a letter to the editor so the chances that way more than just one get's printed.

6. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Paging Susan Stine, Susan Stine to the white courtesy telephone, please.

7. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

a giant :(:(:(:( you to John Ramsey. It's not fibers from my shirt in that little girl's crotch area.

8. Tricia

I just spoke with the person who wrote this story for AP.

He was very interested in www.supportramseyTRUTH.com

I am working on getting more help to fax out the press releases. Seems we missed a few AP people. Can't do that anymore.

Tricia

9. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

I See In The Article, that....

Ramsey is anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, pro-gun....Wonder what his stand is on the use of garrots in child murders.....

Guess that is not something he is ready to address just yet huh? Guess that this is off topic for the unemployed Mr. Ramsey, business man exta-ordinare? Sounds like John only wants to discuss topics of his choosing....Once the hotdogs and copies of Death Of Innocence run out, he may have to start answering some serious questions though.....The campaign is just starting Mr. Ramsey.....And the TRUTH will play a much more dangerous role for you in this campaign than your false imaginings of some gun toteting stranger showing up on your doorstep....

The public, as far as we are able to ascertain here, is much more interested in TRUTH and INTEGRITY than in watching Ramsey's personal demise.....This is a democracy where the voters decide the outcome of an election after being given the facts, not as John dramatically insinuates, where someone shows up on his doorstep with a weapon....Another Ramsey bid for sympathy....how ridiculous....

Voyager

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  10. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

What a Trouper That Patsy Is!

Despite the dreadful reaction to her last chemo, which inspired her heart-rending letter asking for $500 from each supporter, Miss Pats is still able to get out there and sing and joke on the campaign trail. (And notice the heart earrings).

As the "Strong Voice Express" pulls away, Patsy Ramsey prays aloud -- "May the work we do today glorify you" -- then bursts into a comic rendition of Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again."

The campaign is "invigorating, exciting," she says, a fresh start.

"We can't just hold our breath and hope the killer will be found and then go on with our lives. We have to move ahead now. We can't let evil win."

Her dark hair, pulled tightly back, is held in place with red, white and blue ribbons. Her heart-shaped earrings have a red, white and blue flag pattern. John Ramsey is dressed casually: open-necked plaid shirt, khaki slacks.

11. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Scott Ingersoll

I strongly disagree with this statement of his: ""Your average person has an innate ability to determine whether he's (JR) sincere or not."

12. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Welcome JC!

I've listened to John Ramsey for years now and Sincerity is the last thing that pops to mind when describing his presence.

Kudos to you for surviving the $50.00 pleasure of posting at jamesons! So glad to see that you retained your common sense while surrounded by snakes.

jameson DID tell you about the snake story, didn't she?

RR

13. Tez

Tez Member

I sent off my e-mail and let them know exactly how I feel about John Ramsey....I am sure the Ramsey's won't be inviting me up for any free hot dogs anytime soon. BWHAAAAAAA! :frog:

14. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Thanks, RR

No, $he never told me the $nake $tory. Maybe that's only $hared with pet posters.

15. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Jameson seems to like snakes a great deal.

16. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Especially in haylofts while having sex with her brother. Oh, wait, maybe it was rape. I wonder if he ever reported it to the authorities.

17. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

18. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

If I were a nicer person, I'd email the link to her new-found co-conspirator, website owner Jill Maloy.

19. Tricia

Jill Maloy? Did I miss something?

20. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Of her website Jill Maloy says: "it is the perfect place for you to get ... any injustice into the public eye as Justice Junction gets about 150,000 hits per day."

Yes, she and jameson are co-conspirators, emailing back & forth to keep honest, paid-in-full, opinionated posters out of discussions. So be it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice