Do the Ramseys Intend to Sue the Internet?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Dunvegan, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

Most everyone in "Ramsey Foraland" has now heard about the e-mail a web site owner received from the Ramsey's lawyer, Leroy Lincoln Wood threatening legal action because he posted an opinion on the mystery of the Ramsey murder, and named Burke Ramsey as a suspect.

The thread discussing this situation can be found <b><a href="http://www.websleuths.com/dcf/DCForumID1/1538.html">HERE</a></b> at WebSleuths.

Three days after I assumed the administration duties at Justice Watch I was threatened in an e-mail with legal action by Susan Bennett, and this e-mail copied Leroy Lincoln Wood referencing the same address as is posted at WebSleuths.

I have independent corroboration that this referenced address is a true e-mail address for Leroy Lincoln Wood.

The Ramseys have been somewhat successful in their Burke Ramsey libel lawsuits. This may be the reason to pursue further punitive actions now aimed against citizens publishing on the Internet.

It will be important to find out conclusively whether or not this is a true message from Leroy Lincoln Wood to Troy, acting as legal council for the Ramseys on behalf of Burke Ramsey, or whether the messages noted at WebSleuths are forgeries.

A few facts about Internet libel:

<ol><b>WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM BEING ACCUSED OF LIBEL?</b>

<li> Truth is always a defense. That's because one of the things a plaintiff must prove is that it was a false statement. So, check the veracity of any information you publish on the Internet which may be damaging to the reputation of others.

<li> Quote testimony from judicial or legislative proceedings.

<li> Express your opinions pertaining to ongoing debates or public issues without resorting to undisclosed defamatory facts. If you disagree with someone, don't attack him/her personally. Simply disagree without becoming personally vicious and avoid ridiculing one personally.

<li> If you criticize or poke fun at a public figure make sure that it is not done with Malice. That means you do not have knowledge of the falsity of what you are writing and you didn't totally disregard the truth.

<li>Don't relay damaging information created by others without verifying the facts supporting it. It's not a defense that you are simply relaying someone else's Libelous statement because merely publishing a third party's Libel will make you guilty of Libel too.</ol>

Also, VP has found an article that notes how damaging it can be to have such a suit brought against someone, even if they are ultimately blameless. Court cases are expensive and time-consuming for the defendant, even if you win:

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/defamation-in-cyberspace.html

From the inception of this forum, to the present time, this forum has not been moderated or edited for user content. Forums for Justice has been an open conduit for opinions and discussion of those opinions.

Forums for Justice supports the spirit of freedom and the spirit of the First Amendment that all discussion and opinion forums, and the Internet itself, represent.

2. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

Dun

Can you post the header for the email from Lin??

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I still don't know

which address you are referring to, Dun. The 2000 e-mail has two LL's in it, the recent one has only one L in the address. That would tell me someone's playing fast and loose with Limpwood's e-mail address.

Instead of trying to guess what is going on, why not go to the horse (heh,nopunintendedyestherewas) himself and ask him if he is the one sending threats on behalf of the Ramseys to forum owners via e-mail? A simple e-mail saying, "Is it a fact that you are threatening forum owners with lawsuits on behalf of the Ramseys?" I won't send it, because there is no way those yahoos are going to get my e-mail address and go snooping on me. But, anyone who doesn't care about that or whose e-mail address is already known, what can it hurt? I don't think Wood sent that e-mail, but he seems to have studied under Susan Bennett, since a lot of crap that comes out of his mouth on TV interviews sounds as if it were written by her, so who knows.

Does Wood really want to get into a ****ing contest regarding internet law at this point? Because if he does, his favorite teacher at the swamp is ripe for dozens of lawsuits. Maybe she ought to speak with him regarding this issue. He could open up a huge keg of worms (heh, nopunintendedyestherewas) if he starts trying to stomp on the constitutional rights of posters in untested internet law. He's got enough to do trying to keep the Ramseys afloat through lawsuits in arenas that will reap benefits. I can't believe he would waste his time on cases he will lose. JMO

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

It appears to me

that the only one Limpwood was threatening was the Troy website that does get into pretty gruesome detail about what Burke allegedly was doing to JBR. They may have some legal grounds there, but contacting Troy via e-mail is tacky as he!!. Whatever happened to legal hard copies, sent through postal mail? Wood's threats to Troy could be thrown in the garbage as far as I'm concerned. If I got one of those messages in my e-mail, I would send a message back saying send me a certified letter from your office on official letterhead, and I might consider contacting my own attorney to see what my options are. Sending this poorly written missive by e-mail is pure bully tactics.

5. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

since day one

Since day one people have been whining about "taking legal action" against everybody and everyone. Nobody ever goes through with it--it's just so much internet intellectual masterbation. Ignore these idiots.

6. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

Certainly, Nandee...

...as soon as I get home.

==========================

All right...I'm home.

Here's the header. I will not publish the content of the message, as publishing a private correspondence is a little more than somewhat questionable under Internet law (as it is as of 8:59:23 p.m., PST, Feburary 4th, 2002, that is.)

This e-mail was generated in conjunction with my offering advice to a member of Justice Watch who had sought my council in the matter of posting her original photographs online.

I do contend that copying cyberstalking@cyberangels.com in a vaguely threatening letter was a particularly disingenuous way of casting an aspersion...traducement from the malignant...the cast-iron frying pan calling the china cup black...etc., etc.

As you see, this header checks out...route and all.

--------------------------
    Return-path:
    <Jameson245@aol.com>
    Received:
    from mta4.snfc21.pbi.net (mta4-pr) by sims1.snfc21.pbi.net (Sun Internet Mail Server sims.3.5.2000.01.05.12.18.p9)
    with ESMTP id <0GHT00745YEDXA@sims1.snfc21.pbi.net> for lamidon@sims-ms-daemon; Thu, 9 Aug 2001
    19:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
    Received:
    from c001.snv.cp.net ([209.228.32.110]) by mta4.snfc21.pbi.net (Sun Internet Mail Server
    sims.3.5.2000.01.05.12.18.p9) with SMTP id <0GHT00KDFYE4WR@mta4.snfc21.pbi.net> for
    lamidon@sims1.snfc21.pbi.net; Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:18:08 -0700 (PDT)
    Received:
    (cpmta 18527 invoked from network); Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:18:03 -0700
    Received:
    (cpmta 18521 invoked from network); Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:18:03 -0700
    Received:
    from imo-m04.mx.aol.com (64.12.136.7) by smtp.c001.snv.cp.net (209.228.32.110) with SMTP; Thu, 09 Aug 2001
    19:18:03 -0700
    Received:
    from Jameson245@aol.com by imo-m04.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31.9.) id 2.f3.e0d5319 (25306); Thu, 09 Aug 2001
    22:17:58 -0400 (EDT)
    X-Received:
    10 Aug 2001 02:18:03 GMT
    Date:
    Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:17:58 -0400 (EDT)
    Jameson245@aol.com
    Subject:
    Do you really want to start this game?
    To:
    Dunvegan@justiceforjonbenet.org, Jameson245@aol.com, LLWood47@aol.com,
    cyberstalking@cyberangels.org
    Message-ID:
    <f3.e0d5319.28a49e56@aol.com>
    MIME-version:
    X-Mailer:
    AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10532
    Content-type:
    multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_f3.e0d5319.28a49e56_boundary"
    Delivered-to:
    justiceforjonbenet.org%Dunvegan@justiceforjonbenet.org
    X-UID:
    Inbox;993293349;246
    X-Mozilla-Status:
    X-Mozilla-Status2:
    X-UIDL:
    384a226e00000383

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2002
  7. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

Dun

Thanks... This is greek to me... but I had a computer geek check the on tc posted and got some very interesting information....

8. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

yes

Absolutely someone is playing fast with Lin Wood's email.

Here is the first line from my email from "Lin Wood" (caps mine)

"Through THEIR attorney, the Ramseys have now asked him to take down the website."

Now the last line:

"In the future, please exercise your warped perception of your First Amendment rights by bothering someone else with your childish e-mails. Thank you.

L. Lin Wood"

When I first read that the "their attorney" jumped out at me. Why didn't he use first person. I assumed it was a Lin Wood employee until I got to his "signature"

signed

Warped and proud of it...

Tricia

9. Jeanilou

Jeanilou Member

Warped? Childish emails?

Who the heck does Lin Wood think he is? Now he shows his true colors, in Susan Bennett speak. Namecalling has long been hir standby.

I am guessing that Lin has received numerous emails complaining about his bullying Troy Cowan.

Well, bawawa, Lin. That is what you get for making email threats to people. You get it published on the Internet for all to see. And now you look like a fool and want to retaliate by belittling others by calling them "warped" and "childish". What is childish is the Ramseys thinking they can control the Internet. Have they learned nothing from their puppet, Susan Bennett? Hir has been trying to yrs to control what is said on the Internet about this case and has FAILED miserably. And so will you if you keep up this bullying of Troy Cowan.

I don't really believe you ever intended to sue Troy but I have taken no chances. I am doing all I can to line up help for Troy with this matter. You wrote your first email back in 2000. And Troy hears NOTHING from you until 2002, almost 2 yrs exactly. Why now?

I find it hard to believe that you surf the 'Net, looking for what you called "libelous" webpages. I would think you would have better things to do with the civil case that are upcoming. Or are you so confident you will win those that you do not need to devote time to the cases but rather can spend your time trying to bully Internet webpage owners. Pride goeth before fall, Mr. Wood.
    And you will fall, in court, big time. Darnay is going to win both of his cases.

Of course, the Ramseys will be able to call foul because when their lawyer should have been working on their civil trials, he was too busy being a bully on the Internet. Talk about ineffective counsel. You certainly fit the bill.

I had respect for you when you defended Richard Jewell. I lost some of the respect when you took on the Ramseys as clients, and now I have lost ALL respect for you because you have tried to belittle someone by calling them "warped" and "childish". You are the one that is being childish.

Grow up Lin Wood, and while you are at it, take a GOOD LOOK at your clients, the Ramseys. Do yourself a favor, and distance yourself from them because no good can come from having any association with them. Just ask Susan Bennett.

NO PART OF THIS POST CAN BE REPRODUCED. IT IS INTENDED FOR POST ON FFJ. YOU MAY NOT EVEN QUOTE FROM IT WITHOUT MY EXPRESS PERMISSION BUT I DO GRANT PERMISSION TO WEBSLEUTHS, CYBERSLEUTHS, AND ACANDYROSE. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIMIT WHERE MY WORK APPEARS AND IN WHAT CONTEXT. I ALSO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO ALLOW QUOTING.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice