Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hoffman picks baby killer up in limo

http://www.wnbc.com/news/index.html

Slideshow and video of killer leaving prison in limo.

Infamous NYC Child Killer Steinberg Leaves Prison

POSTED: 7:31 am EDT June 30, 2004
    UPDATED: 10:35 am EDT June 30, 2004

PINE CITY, N.Y. -- Former attorney Joel Steinberg was released from state prison Wednesday morning after 15 years behind bars for the vicious 1987 beating death of his 6-year-old adopted daughter.

NYC Child Killer Leaves Prison

Steinberg, now 63, spent the last 13 years at the Southport Correctional Facility outside Elmira. He served two-thirds of the maximum 25-year manslaughter sentence. He has continued to deny responsibility for the girl's death.

Steinberg left the upstate prison with $104 in earnings from his inmate account, wearing state-issued denim jeans, a light brown sweatshirt and sneakers. Defense attorney Darnay Hoffmann picked him up in a limousine in Pine City, 179 miles west of New York City. A half-dozen cars with reporters followed. One had briefly blocked the limousine as photographers took pictures.

Lisa Steinberg died in November 1987, three days after a vicious beating in the Greenwich Village apartment where she lived with Steinberg and his former lover, Hedda Nussbaum.

According to Steinberg, he shared a unique, loving relationship with the slain girl -- an assertion that led to five rejections by the parole board.

Nussbaum called police after finding the 6-year-old naked, bruised and not breathing. Nussbaum, initially a co-defendant herself, had a split lip, broken ribs, a broken nose and a fractured jaw she said were inflicted by Steinberg.

According to Nussbaum's testimony, Steinberg struck Lisa for staring at him, then ignored her injuries and smoked cocaine.

Nussbaum, now 59, who said she would flee New York rather than face Steinberg again, quit her job at My Sister's Place, a domestic violence center in White Plains, on Friday, Executive Director Julie Domonkos said Wednesday. The Journal News reported that Nussbaum's small white house in Carmel was empty on Tuesday.

Hoffmann has said he offered Steinberg a free apartment and a $250-a-week job with a local cable television show.

After his conviction, Steinberg was sent to the Clinton Correctional Facility, where he spent two years before being transferred to Southport, which houses about 800 inmates in isolation who were disciplinary problems at other prisons. It has another 150 inmates -- many like Steinberg -- who are kept out of the general prison population because of concerns for their safety.

While in prison, Steinberg had about a half-dozen disciplinary infractions, according to state corrections officials. Even though he was disbarred, Steinberg worked as a law clerk, doing legal research for other inmates, at a salary of $21.70 per week, prison spokesman James Flateau said.

Steinberg will have to make regular visits to a parole officer through October 2012.
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
    the philosophy which does not laugh,
    and the greatness which does not bow before children.

---Kahlil Gibran---

Default NY Times

"Mr. Steinberg's release does not end his troubles. Last year, a judge ruled that Mr. Steinberg owed Ms. Launders $15 million in damages for her daughter's death. Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Mr. Steinberg's release concerns newspaper reports that he might have a job as a host of a public access television talk show, "New York Confidential." A spokesman for the show told Newsday that Mr. Steinberg will start as an intern working off the air and will earn $250 a week."

IMO The alleged public access television talk show, "New York Confidential" and the status of the GA court's sanctions against assistant baby killer Darnay should be looked into.

I know a lot of people thought Nussbaum should have been prosecuted for her part in Lisa's death, and I also hold her responsible, at least for not getting help for Lisa. To me it was obvious she was scared to death of Steinberg, with good reason, since he beat her viciously. She was allegedly also doing cocaine. I have a real thing about the way she allowed Lisa and the baby boy they also had there to be so abused and neglected. I've never done drugs, so I can't be objective about this, I suppose. I've also never been physically beaten half to death by anyone, either, nor would I ever have allowed that to happen.

Steinberg used drugs and beatings to control Nussbaum, I have no doubt about that, but she had two little children for whom she was responsible, and she failed them both. That's something she's had to live with and something she will have to answer for some day.

It says a lot to me that Nussbaum has quit her job and left her apartment, like she said she would do if Steinberg were released from prison. She said she would leave NYS, and I don't blame her. I believe Steinberg will try to track her down and make her pay for testifying against him. Our system has released this very dangerous man back into society. How long will it be before his narcissism and anger result in the death of someone else?

---Kahlil Gibran---

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,124258,00.html

Infamous Child Killer Out After 15 Years
    Wednesday, June 30, 2004

PHOTOS

PINE CITY, N.Y. — Former attorney Joel Steinberg (search) was released from state prison Wednesday morning after 15 years behind bars for the vicious 1987 beating death of his 6-year-old adopted daughter.

Steinberg, now 63, spent the last 13 years at the Southport Correctional Facility (search). He served two-thirds of the maximum 25-year manslaughter sentence. He has continued to deny responsibility for the girl's death.

Steinberg left the upstate prison with $104 in earnings from his inmate account, wearing state-issued denim jeans, a light brown sweatshirt and sneakers. Defense attorney Darnay Hoffmann pick him up in a limousine in Pine City, about 150 miles northwest of New York City. A half-dozen cars with reporters followed.

Lisa Steinberg ... died in November 1987, three days after a vicious beating in the Greenwich Village apartment where she lived with Steinberg and his former lover, Hedda Nussbaum.

snip

Nussbaum called police after finding the 6-year-old naked, bruised and not breathing. Nussbaum, initially a co-defendant, herself had a split lip, broken ribs, a broken nose and a fractured jaw she said were inflicted by Steinberg.

---Kahlil Gibran---

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

DH is a pig! Steinberg shoulda been picked up in a hearse!

How many convicts get picked up in limos? Why was Steinberg segregated from the general population? Why was he shown favoritizm when other baby killers get thrown in with the general population?

It's one thing to help someone who deserves a chance. It's quite another to take up the sword for a non-repentent, lying, scumwhore piece of crap like Steinberg. I have no respect for Darnay Hoffman for helping this abusive, baby murdering scumbag.

---Kahlil Gibran---

May Darnay and Joel both rot in hell, very slowly and painfully

Was Candy there giving out samples of Patsy's handwriting?
    PATSY RAMSEY WROTE THE RANSOM NOTE
    SHE WOULDN'T DO THAT FOR AN INTRUDER.
    PLEASE READ CHEROKEE'S ANALYSIS

http://66.98.176.96/~tricia/forums/s...ead.php?t=6404

The "Beehive State" It's true. Look it up

Quote Originally Posted by Spade
    "Mr. Steinberg's release does not end his troubles. Last year, a judge ruled that Mr. Steinberg owed Ms. Launders $15 million in damages for her daughter's death. Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Mr. Steinberg's release concerns newspaper reports that he might have a job as a host of a public access television talk show, "New York Confidential." A spokesman for the show told Newsday that Mr. Steinberg will start as an intern working off the air and will earn $250 a week."

IMO The alleged public access television talk show, "New York Confidential" and the status of the GA court's sanctions against assistant baby killer Darnay should be looked into.
    Spade!! Where have you been? It's so quiet without you. Start causing some trouble WOODYA??? :tipsy:
    tgrif@xmission.com
    FFJ C/O Tricia Griffith
    6300 N Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H #214
    Park City UT

I am unaware of anyone who's profited from exploiting the Ramsey murder over a longer period of time, with a greater disregard for the principles of accuracy and fairness, than the production team of Mills and Tracey.They truly do inhabit a different moral universe from real journalists. It's the difference between journalism and propaganda.
    Alan Prendergast,reporter for Westword

The "Beehive State" It's true. Look it up

WHAT IS DARNAY THINKING?

www.nypost.com
    tgrif@xmission.com
    FFJ C/O Tricia Griffith
    6300 N Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H #214
    Park City UT

I am unaware of anyone who's profited from exploiting the Ramsey murder over a longer period of time, with a greater disregard for the principles of accuracy and fairness, than the production team of Mills and Tracey.They truly do inhabit a different moral universe from real journalists. It's the difference between journalism and propaganda.
    Alan Prendergast,reporter for Westword

He prolly had some of Sydneys employees waiting to service him in the limo too.

What a disgusting incompetent POS.

I was thinking the same thing Freebird!!
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Default Disgusting!

How indecent that this hideous child-killer should be driven around in a white limo! Where were the cops when this vehicle was doing 85 on the freeways?
    This story makes my blood boil.

However, I believe the residents of the West Bronx will know how to deal with this travesty. Steinberg better not be going out for a walk alone anytime soon.

As for Hoffman's part in this, "Stinky" Hoffman is lower than whale $hit and smells worse.