Hoffman picks baby killer up in limo

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

http://www.wnbc.com/news/index.html

Slideshow and video of killer leaving prison in limo.

Infamous NYC Child Killer Steinberg Leaves Prison

POSTED: 7:31 am EDT June 30, 2004
    UPDATED: 10:35 am EDT June 30, 2004

PINE CITY, N.Y. -- Former attorney Joel Steinberg was released from state prison Wednesday morning after 15 years behind bars for the vicious 1987 beating death of his 6-year-old adopted daughter.

NYC Child Killer Leaves Prison

Steinberg, now 63, spent the last 13 years at the Southport Correctional Facility outside Elmira. He served two-thirds of the maximum 25-year manslaughter sentence. He has continued to deny responsibility for the girl's death.

Steinberg left the upstate prison with $104 in earnings from his inmate account, wearing state-issued denim jeans, a light brown sweatshirt and sneakers. Defense attorney Darnay Hoffmann picked him up in a limousine in Pine City, 179 miles west of New York City. A half-dozen cars with reporters followed. One had briefly blocked the limousine as photographers took pictures.

Lisa Steinberg died in November 1987, three days after a vicious beating in the Greenwich Village apartment where she lived with Steinberg and his former lover, Hedda Nussbaum.

According to Steinberg, he shared a unique, loving relationship with the slain girl -- an assertion that led to five rejections by the parole board.

Nussbaum called police after finding the 6-year-old naked, bruised and not breathing. Nussbaum, initially a co-defendant herself, had a split lip, broken ribs, a broken nose and a fractured jaw she said were inflicted by Steinberg.

According to Nussbaum's testimony, Steinberg struck Lisa for staring at him, then ignored her injuries and smoked cocaine.

Nussbaum, now 59, who said she would flee New York rather than face Steinberg again, quit her job at My Sister's Place, a domestic violence center in White Plains, on Friday, Executive Director Julie Domonkos said Wednesday. The Journal News reported that Nussbaum's small white house in Carmel was empty on Tuesday.

Hoffmann has said he offered Steinberg a free apartment and a $250-a-week job with a local cable television show.

After his conviction, Steinberg was sent to the Clinton Correctional Facility, where he spent two years before being transferred to Southport, which houses about 800 inmates in isolation who were disciplinary problems at other prisons. It has another 150 inmates -- many like Steinberg -- who are kept out of the general prison population because of concerns for their safety.

While in prison, Steinberg had about a half-dozen disciplinary infractions, according to state corrections officials. Even though he was disbarred, Steinberg worked as a law clerk, doing legal research for other inmates, at a salary of $21.70 per week, prison spokesman James Flateau said.

Steinberg will have to make regular visits to a parole officer through October 2012.

2. Spade

Spade Member

NY Times

"Mr. Steinberg's release does not end his troubles. Last year, a judge ruled that Mr. Steinberg owed Ms. Launders $15 million in damages for her daughter's death. Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Mr. Steinberg's release concerns newspaper reports that he might have a job as a host of a public access television talk show, "New York Confidential." A spokesman for the show told Newsday that Mr. Steinberg will start as an intern working off the air and will earn $250 a week."

IMO The alleged public access television talk show, "New York Confidential" and the status of the GA court's sanctions against assistant baby killer Darnay should be looked into.

3. Watching You

I know a lot of people thought Nussbaum should have been prosecuted for her part in Lisa's death, and I also hold her responsible, at least for not getting help for Lisa. To me it was obvious she was scared to death of Steinberg, with good reason, since he beat her viciously. She was allegedly also doing cocaine. I have a real thing about the way she allowed Lisa and the baby boy they also had there to be so abused and neglected. I've never done drugs, so I can't be objective about this, I suppose. I've also never been physically beaten half to death by anyone, either, nor would I ever have allowed that to happen.

Steinberg used drugs and beatings to control Nussbaum, I have no doubt about that, but she had two little children for whom she was responsible, and she failed them both. That's something she's had to live with and something she will have to answer for some day.

It says a lot to me that Nussbaum has quit her job and left her apartment, like she said she would do if Steinberg were released from prison. She said she would leave NYS, and I don't blame her. I believe Steinberg will try to track her down and make her pay for testifying against him. Our system has released this very dangerous man back into society. How long will it be before his narcissism and anger result in the death of someone else?

4. Watching You

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,124258,00.html

Infamous Child Killer Out After 15 Years
    Wednesday, June 30, 2004

PHOTOS

PINE CITY, N.Y. — Former attorney Joel Steinberg (search) was released from state prison Wednesday morning after 15 years behind bars for the vicious 1987 beating death of his 6-year-old adopted daughter.

Steinberg, now 63, spent the last 13 years at the Southport Correctional Facility (search). He served two-thirds of the maximum 25-year manslaughter sentence. He has continued to deny responsibility for the girl's death.

Steinberg left the upstate prison with $104 in earnings from his inmate account, wearing state-issued denim jeans, a light brown sweatshirt and sneakers. Defense attorney Darnay Hoffmann pick him up in a limousine in Pine City, about 150 miles northwest of New York City. A half-dozen cars with reporters followed.

Lisa Steinberg ... died in November 1987, three days after a vicious beating in the Greenwich Village apartment where she lived with Steinberg and his former lover, Hedda Nussbaum.

snip

Nussbaum called police after finding the 6-year-old naked, bruised and not breathing. Nussbaum, initially a co-defendant, herself had a split lip, broken ribs, a broken nose and a fractured jaw she said were inflicted by Steinberg.

5. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

DH is a pig! Steinberg shoulda been picked up in a hearse!

6. Watching You

How many convicts get picked up in limos? Why was Steinberg segregated from the general population? Why was he shown favoritizm when other baby killers get thrown in with the general population?

It's one thing to help someone who deserves a chance. It's quite another to take up the sword for a non-repentent, lying, scumwhore piece of crap like Steinberg. I have no respect for Darnay Hoffman for helping this abusive, baby murdering *******.

7. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

May Darnay and Joel both rot in hell, very slowly and painfully

Was Candy there giving out samples of Patsy's handwriting?

8. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Spade!! Where have you been? It's so quiet without you. Start causing some trouble WOODYA??? :tipsy:

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

10. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

He prolly had some of Sydneys employees waiting to service him in the limo too.

What a disgusting incompetent ***.

11. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

:laffbig: I was thinking the same thing Freebird!!

12. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Disgusting!

How indecent that this hideous child-killer should be driven around in a white limo! Where were the cops when this vehicle was doing 85 on the freeways?
    This story makes my blood boil.

However, I believe the residents of the West Bronx will know how to deal with this travesty. Steinberg better not be going out for a walk alone anytime soon.

As for Hoffman's part in this, "Stinky" Hoffman is lower than whale $hit and smells worse.

13. Barbara

Trust me, as a New Yorker and from Brooklyn, he shouldn't walk alone here either. I don't think there is a safe place in NYC for him; at least I hope there isn't. He continues to be the top story even the day after. I suspect he'll be news for quite some time here in NY. Hoffman better watch his step as well. New York doesn't seem to be too crazy about him either these days and especially after the write ups. As much as Darnay loves the limelight, he might want to reconsider.

You know you're a bad guy, when all the other bad guys want to kill you.

Here's to you Joel! May you reap what you sow!

14. Niner

Niner Active Member

a little late, but...

I know it's a bit late to bring these up - but I haven't been here for about 3 weeks (still lurking, tho! :yes: ) - but I get the NY Post on line every morning and noticed these two articles:

Joel, Get Out! July 7, 2004 - Carrying a miniatture white coffin adorned with a photo of murdered Lisa Steinberg, dozens of furious Harlem residents protested last nigth outside the halfway house sheltering the girl's killer, Joel Steinberg.
    Chanting, "Baby killer, out of here," they marched outside the Fortune Society at - and drive, demanding that is most notrious resident, who beat to death his 6-yr-old adopted daugher 17 years ago, be sent somehwere else.
    "How can you have an outsider who has comitted such an atrocity here among our childre?" said neighborhood activist Delois Blakeley.
    She complained that residents had not been told of the plan.
    "You have to aler the parents and comunity when you place someone like that in here," she said.
    Young protestor Christine Lopez, 12, said she's frightened by her new neighbor. "He could go out and do the same thing," the seventh-grader said.

sorry about the typos - but I ain't going back to check!! :unreal:

15. Niner

Niner Active Member

another article

from the day before -
    Harlem Rally to Ride Joel out on a rail-

Outraged Harlem residents today plan to protest kid killer Joel Steinberg's presence in their neighborhood by carrying a casket symbolizing his dead 6-year old adopted daughter, Lisa, past his halfway house.
    .... snip....
    :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

16. Barbara

It's been on the news every day here. New Yorkers will not let him live in peace, nor should he ever live in peace. He has no remorse, no responsibility for this tragedy in his eyes, and no soul

Perhaps Darnay Hoffman will rescue him and his good friend and supporter, Mary can ride shotgun in the limo.

Disgusting!

17. Niner

Niner Active Member

GLAD to hear that Barbara!! he should NEVER rest in peace - he should STILL be in jail!! well - that's my opinion! :yes:

18. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Where are Mary's comment on Darnay's disgusting behavior? Why is she avoiding the topic? Could it be...gasp....Mary is dumping Darnay for Woody????

I hope all of New York make Steinberg feel uncomfortable. I hope all of New York makes Darnay uncomfortable also.

19. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Statement by Time Warner Cable of New York City

“Reports that Mr. Steinberg has been hired by Time Warner Cable are untrue. He is not an employee of our company.

“’New York Confidential’ is a program which was previously carried on Leased Access Channel 35, until several months ago. The producer of “New York Confidentialâ€, who is unaffiliated with Time Warner, did not fulfill obligations to Time Warner and, as a result, has not been carried since March.

“We are required to set aside a certain amount of channels for lease by unaffiliated programming pursuant to federal law as well as applicable FCC regulations. “New York Confidential†was one of these programs. We have no choice but to carry this leased access programming and are prohibited, except under certain limited circumstances, from exercising any editorial control over any of such leased access programming.

“We realize that not all customers support this leased access requirement mandated by Federal Law. If you have any comments on the law, you may communicate with the FCC at 445 12th St, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20554 and with your local congress person.â€

http://www.asmallvictory.net/archives/007051.html

20. Barbara

I can't stop being awed by Darnay Hoffman.

There's something to be said about a man who can't even be successful on PUBLIC ACCESS CABLE?

No real rules, etc. and he couldn't even do THAT right.

Even Candy doesn't mention him anymore.

Way to go, Darnay! :tsktsk: :weaklink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice