Duct Tape Questions

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

The duct tape is one of the more puzzling pieces of this puzzle in opinion.

It has always bugged me and I can't put my finger on it.

Is there such a thing as a duct tape expert?

If there really was somebody that could answer all the questions about duct tape what would you ask her/him?

I would ask the duct tape expert:

*can you really identify what batch of tape the piece of tape on JonBenets mouth came from? In other words can you prove that the tape on JonBenet's mouth was from a batch that was sent to the hardware store in Boulder? Can you find out when the batch of tape was sent to the hardware store for resale?

* How hard is it to "transfer" fibers on the tape. To really have 4 small fibers stick. In other words could the tape have picked up the fibers from Patsy's apparel in a very casual way or would the tape have to be stuck to a part of her clothing/boots to transfer the fibers?

The tape issue bugs me...

Ok what questions would you ask our "duct tape expert"?

2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Tricia--duct tape is manufactured in such a way that long fibers run through the inside of the tape and that gives the tape it's strength. Each manufacturer of this kind of tape uses different fibers and/or blends of fibers. The FBI has a database showing which tape manufacturers use which materials (although of course they probably don't have samples of every roll ever made) and by microscopically comparing tape samples to those in the databank, they can usually come up with a match. If they're lucky.

3. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

PS: it's extremely easy to transfer fibers to duct tape since it is manufactured to be resistant to moisture, unlike ordinary tape.

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Duct Tape

Shurtape Racers Duct Tape is the cornerstone to any race team. Whether your a Saturday Night Racer of a Winston Cup Professional, Charlotte Wheel can supply you with the tape you need in many colors.

Race Tape 2" X 180 Ft Rolls Black
    Qualifying Tape 2" x 180 Ft Rolls Black
    Gaffers Tape 2" x 180 Ft Rolls Black

http://www.charlottewheel.com/catalog/shuretape.htm

Can't recall where I read or heard this, but wasn't Shurtape the brand on the ductape?

Guess where Shurtape is located?

Fastway Racing Products
    Charlotte Wheel Inc.
    1030A Central Drive
    Concord <b>NC</b> 28027
    1-800-447-9353

The reason I seleceted the racing products specifically is that IMHO, this tape might also be used on a sailboat would it not? However, this is interesting as well (emphasis mine):

<b>Company Profile</b>

Shurtape Technologies, Inc. manufactures a wide range of quality paper masking, polypropylene, coated vinyl, metalized cloth and duct tapes. These products service a variety of adhesive tape applications in many markets, including: the automotive industry, the paint and sundries market, the HVAC and construction industries, the power and utility industry, as well as the military and <b>aerospace industries</b>. Shurtape continues to leverage the knowledge gained from our 40-year commitment to the adhesive tape distributor to build a broader family of products supported by knowledgeable salespeople and a sophisticated manufacturing and distribution infrastructure.

http://www.shurtape.com/Shurtape/CompanyProf.htm

5. Zan

Zan FFJ Senior Member

Shari Faye

Read the chapter "God Wants You To Join Shari Faye" in JD's MH...and you will have your answer to the duct tape....and everything else...regarding the set up of the crime.....

6. AK

AK Member

Interesting link, JR

Seems that Charlotte Wheel is a NASCAR related distributor of ShurTape, but the actual manufacturing plant for the duct tape is in another part of North Carolina...

http://www.shurtape.com/
    Shurtape Pressure Sensitive Tapes
    1506 Highland Avenue NE
    Hickory, NC 28603-1530

Wonder if they give tours... I'll have to call the next time I'm in that part of the world.

Toth on WS brought up a point I'd like addressed by a duct tape expert. This was during a thread about whether medications were found in JR's bloodstream (there were none). Toth then posted: <i>There are conflicting reports of the methyhippuric acid to creatine ratio in the blood as indicating inhalation of the volatile organic compounds from the duct tape, but this test is unreliable and a common food preservative, benzoate of soda, can cause false positives. Pediatric values are estimates only anyway.</i>

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice