Act of Desperation?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Candy has posted an article from http://www.mirsnews.com/capsule.php#664, with the caveat: For Cybersleuths.com only. DO NOT COPY

Therefore, I am going to paraphrase the information. Thanks, Candy, for your generosity.

Saying things are heating up in 105th race, the Petoskey News-Review ran a story that claimed one of the GOP candidates in the 105th House race was convicted of felony cocaine possession in 1989 and fined $3,000.

Apparently, court documents reveal that Jeff Garfield was placed on three years probation. Two years later violated that probation by leaving the state of Alaska.

The paper does NOT report that Garfield is accusing fellow candidate John RAMSEY of planting the story to undercut Garfield's candidacy.

Garfield told MIRS that he knows it's John Ramsey.

Garfield says he got that information from a reporter.

Garfield says he is the "only one who stands in (Ramsey's) way, and if Ramsey destroys him, he can win.

Garfield claims that he has never hidden the drug conviction from any group and that it is old news.

Reportedly, Garfield was 24 at the time of the conviction. He was sentenced to 36 months on probation.

Garfield says Ramsey is desperate. He refers to Ramsey as nothing but a carpetbagger who "knows nothing about [our] wants, our needs or our problems." According to Garfield, all Ramsey is doing is "trying to vindicate himself in the court of public opinion."

Ramsey's campaign manager, John Yob, couldn't be reached.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Would it come as a shock to anyone that Ramsey would pull a dirty trick like this? No shock to me.

2. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Pageants

This reminds me of the pageants. Buying advantage.

3. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Do any of the other candidates have the need to dig up that kind of dirt? I hate dirty politics and the candidate that plays would not get my vote on basic principle. Seems to me there have been hints that the Ramseys were involved in "using" while living in Boulder. Does anyone still have those articles? JMH&CPO

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Thanks, WY, for posting this. Jeff Garfield is absolutely right about John Ramsey's motives.

Maybe we need to contact Mr. Garfield and give him some information regarding "I'm so pure and honest" John Ramsey.

IMO

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  5. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2004/07/20/news/local_regional/news02.txt
    ARCHIVES
    105th candidate says felony conviction is 'old news'
    BY FRED GRAY NEWS-REVIEW STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, July 20, 2004 3:43 PM EDT

Jeff Garfield, one of six Republican candidates for the 105th state House district, was convicted of felony cocaine possession in Genesee County in 1989, fined $3,000 and placed on three years probation, according to court documents.

Two years later, he violated the terms of his probation by leaving the state for Alaska, the circuit court documents state.

Garfield, 39, an Otsego County commissioner who is running on a platform of strong conservative and religious values, said Monday that the felony conviction was "old news."

"I've proven myself in the 15 years since then, and we should be talking about the things I've done, my qualifications, my community service, my faith in God.

"God gave me a second lease on life and I'm taking advantage of it."

The Michigan Constitution does not prevent a convicted felon from running for elected office in the Legislature. It requires only that a candidate be a qualified elector.

Garfield is running against five other Republicans in the race to represent the 105th state House district that covers Charlevoix, Antrim, Otsego and most of Cheboygan counties.

At the time of his conviction, Garfield was 24 years old, living in Fenton, and employed in his parents' business.

In his pre-sentencing statement, Garfield told the judge:"I have in the future aspirations to be involved in politics and other things that I cannot have a felony on my record to do."
    Fred Gray can be contacted at 439-9374 or fgray@petoskeynews.com.

6. Tez

Tez Member

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have a reformed drug user representing me instead of someone under the "umbrella of suspicion" representing me. JMO

7. Watching You

OMG, Tez has been in my head. That is exactly the reply I was about to post. This is scarey.

8. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Speaking as a child of the 60's and having lived through the 80's, I can honestly say that I don't know more than a few people who didn't do drugs in the 60's and just about everyone I know did some cocaine in the 80's.

That probably includes John Ramsey as well, but he'll never tell, and if YOU do, he'll sue, but AFTER he gets offended of course.

I respect any candidate that is up front about the things they have done.

John Ramsey should do the same and tell the public that he once was an adulterer. It's in their book. He should talk about it, like he wants his opponent to do. He should discuss the murder of JBR and hold a meeting for potential voters where they can ask any questions they would like answered.

It's up to you now John

9. Watching You

I'm a child of the fifties, and nobody I knew ever did drugs then. I've only known one person since who got into crack cocaine really bad. I do not doubt, however, that cocaine use, and addiction, was high in the 80's and remains so to this day.

Cocaine destroys lives, but it appears the only one Garfield hurt with his conviction was himself, while the repercussions of John Ramsey's adulterous affair hurt not only his wife but his children, as well. I would say Ramsey has more baggage in his past, including being a suspect in the murder of his daughter, than Garfield ever thought of having.

10. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Barbara

I don't know ANYONE who has taken cocaine! I know a couple who have smoked dope but that is all! Maybe it's a cultural thing, but alchohol was our only drug.

I was discussing a recent visit to the big city and how I had been stopped several times by drunks looking for money. We were commenting on the difference between the Scots alkies and the ones in London. In London, they approach you asking for money for a cup of tea or for something to eat, in Scotland they'll come up and ask you for money so that they can go and get plastered!

11. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I don't personally know anyone who did crack cocaine. In "the day", cocaine was a white powder that we "snorted" to stay up all night or just to get high, etc.

Not to say that it is okay, because it's not crack, but at least in the circles I traveled in back then, we were all working, functioning people who did cocaine to party.

Although, I do miss cleaning my entire house, floors and all, in 11 minutes, 30 seconds :)

I do not mean to make light, just taking a trip down memory lane. I can only assume, based on what I read that John's opponent was similar to the friends and myself back then and like WY said, only did his damage to himself, whereas John Ramsey took his wife and kids right down with him.

In the famous words of Robin Williams:

"Cocaine is God's way of telling you you're making too much money"

12. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Been there, been done.

13. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

If Ramsey had to have security clearances once Lockheed Martin bought out Access Graphics his drug use or lack there of would be part of those records if he had an SBI (special background investigation.) Any lies would come out through the SBI because they ask for 5 friends and they ask those friends for the names of other friends and eventually that kind of thing surfaces usually. Not sure how one would go about obtaining those records legally though.

In his BPD deposition I believe he stated he did not have clearances at LM though he stated he had clearances in the service. I was very surprised he didn't have them at LM based on his level of management there. It would be odd not to have them - let's leave it at that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice