Mary Suma no longer with radio station

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Aunt Flabby, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Aunt Flabby

Aunt Flabby Resident Advice Columnist

http://www.valley-journal.com/home....39&PHPSESSID=c3366decc319aeb053ccef1f85b7ea89

July 22 - July 29, 2004
    News
    Suma stepping down after four years at KDNK’s helm
    John Colson
    Editor

Mary Suma, general manager at Cabondale’s Community Access Radio Station KDNK for the past four years, has resigned, although neither she nor the board of directors is sure of her exact departure date.

In a telephone interview this week Suma said, “it’s time to take the station to another level,†and that she has completed the major tasks she set for herself early in her tenure.

“I always felt that the tower and the culmination of the Colorado Public Radio [CPR] agreement would be the time,†she said, joking that “it’s tough being the head honcho, or Nurse Ratchet, as some call me.â€

The CPR agreement, the result of lengthy and sometimes acrimonious debate with the statewide public radio giant, won critical concessions for KDNK and the public radio station in Aspen, KAJX, both of which were threatened with the loss of important translator frequencies when CPR made its move to expand into the Roaring Fork Valley.

As part of that agreement, CPR and the two local stations will be jointly building and operating a radio transmission tower atop Sunlight Peak.

In addition, both local stations will see their signal strengths boosted, KAJX to 4,000 megahertz and KDNK to 1,200 megahertz.

KDNK will lose its historic position of 90.5 on the FM radio dial, which will be taken over by CPR. KDNK’s new main frequency will be 88.1, with translator frequencies at 88.3 and 88.5.

Construction on the tower is set to begin within a month or so, and KDNK is in the middle of a drive to raise $33,000 in capital construction funds for the “initial phase†of the project, with further fundraising to be done for later needs.

Suma said she feels she is leaving the station with a solid foundation of staffers and volunteers, and a number of successful community support programs that began under her watch and help keep the station in the public’s eye, including the use of “tie dyed†socks and KDNK underwear as premiums handed out during the station’s on-air fund and membership drives; the popular weekly Bingo games at the Dos Gringos Burritos/Cafe Olé space at La Fontana Plaza on Highway 133; the introduction to local listeners of progressive radio voices such as Amy Goodman of “Democracy Now†and Texas political rebel Jim Hightower; and securing a $250,000 grant from the Public Telecommunications Facilities Program and other grants to build the new tower.

Suma said her decision to leave was not acrimonious, and had nothing to do with demands for more money or other pecuniary considerations.

Among other things, she said, “I don’t love administrative stuff … it’s not my forté.â€

And generally, she feels, “It’s time to move on, personally and professionally.â€

While she is aware that such a change may cause concern among some in the community, she insisted that the staff she leaves behind is more than up to the task of helping a new general manager keep the station strong.

“This is the best staff this station has had in years, and I’m not trying to denigrate any previous staffs,†she said. “We have an enormous amount of fun, we work hard, and it’s because of them that I have no concerns†about leaving the station in the middle of such a transition.

Most importantly, she stressed, the community needs to continue providing the backing the station needs to survive.

“Regardless of who’s at the helm, we really need the support of all the listeners out there,†she said.

Suma’s weekly show, Carbondale Characters, will continue indefinitely on Fridays at noon, and she has no plans to move away from Carbondale or the valley.

“The show has given me an opportunity to bring a voice to people from all walks of life, from Madeleine Albright, high ranking politicians and other notables visiting the valley to local residents who bring their passion to any number of projects and initiatives,†said Suma. “I look forward to bringing more Carbondale Characters to the airwaves.â€

Over the next several weeks, Suma will prepare a checklist, timeline and outline of her duties to help the KDNK Board of Directors as they begin the search for a new station manager.

“In my time on the board, I’ve seen the passion and drive that Mary brings to the table, and it won’t be easy to replace that kind of dedication,†said Board President Sloan Shoemaker. “We want to thank her for her many accomplishments, and we wish her well in the future.

“We’ll be putting together a search/hiring committee and seeking qualified and interested folks from the KDNK community to sit on that committee†Shoemake continued. “If interested, please send an email to board@kdnk.org or simply call the station. We want this to be an inclusive effort.â€

2. Aunt Flabby

Aunt Flabby Resident Advice Columnist

:D Back in the days when I was a working stiff, this is the kind of PR my company put out when someone had been asked to resign.

Poor :mame: :violin:

Someone raise the :bsflag: :mame: has got time on her hands again.

:sadie:

3. Tez

Tez Member

Gee, that's a crying shame...NOT

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Now, Tez, I'm sure they are all just devastated over Suma's loss. They are probably going to miss her like a heart attack.

5. Tez

Tez Member

WY, you just made my headache come back because you made me laugh so hard again....Now, just who is in whose head here? BWHAAAAA! Thank you WY for making my day AGAIN!!!!

6. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

What's to miss??? Wonder if that underwear contained semen stains..... :hiya:

7. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

lame mame

"Over the next several weeks, Suma will prepare a checklist, timeline and outline of her duties to help the KDNK Board of Directors as they begin the search for a new station manager."

But what if the new person likes Fleet White, hates lying, and doesn't have an internet connection?

RR

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

I'm ready to let this go.

Sounds like Suma got a lot of good programs going for KDNK, and did keep the station on its feet for the last four years.

Radio is a very unstable business, and good people are laid off all the time.

Good luck to Mary in all her future pursuits.

9. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Egads! I hope this doesn't mean Mary will have more time to spend on the internet pushing her Nancy crap. I pray she gets a good job soon, one that will keep her busy.

10. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Could the elusive Miss Krebs be reached for comment?

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Yes.....she said she was "stunned to the bone" :highfive:

12. Watching You

I'm not ready to let it go, Lurker, not as long as there is a breath left in my body and Suma is still trying to destroy an innocent man and his family. I will, however, let it go as long as she doesn't start up her crap again. It may be only coincidence, but the Krebs thing seems to have started up again in the past few days at Purgatory. Well, actually, WhorassMills has been keeping it going for weeks, but there is a new one there now trying to raise that flag again.

I don't wish Suma any bad luck. I don't wish her any good luck. I don't wish her anything at all except to stay the help away from the forums with the FW/NK lies. She's a brassy one, though. I fully except her to be back in full lying form again.

I wish I could be more like you, Lurker. I am like an elephant - I never, ever forget. I may leave it alone for years and it will stay there if no one gets in my face about it. Start in on me again, and it will come back out in full force. I can't forget what Suma and her gang did to the Whites, and I'm not about to get over it.

13. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Do you suppose Suma's headed back to the Windy City?

14. Watching You

Maybe if the wind blows her there.

I don't mean to sound like I'm grudgy. I'm not a person to hold grudges and will not gnaw my arm off to spite someone else. I won't take action to spite someone else. I just don't ever forget. It's a matter of never trusting that person again.

15. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Meowww

Saucer of milk to table 2!

16. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Make that 3, BobC

We have some very sweet posters here............however, I am not one of them.

Suma's legacy in the subculture history is BEYOND redemption and she knows it. She is as adamant in her stance against Fleet White as she was FOUR years ago which explains her zero credibility in my eyes.

But to each their own.

RR

17. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

zero cred

She has zero cred in my eyes for her hat games at Purg. Posting as Maddie ans saying she wasn't Mame.

18. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

baby raping henchmen....unforgivable.

19. Sara

Sara Member

Mystery Girl

Mary Suma. Is that "mame"? Isn't she the one who kept feeding the answers to the mystery girl to discredit the Whites? Something like that. Doesn't she have a sister who's a magistrate in Virginia who believes in UFO's and stuff? Why is this forum giving them any credibility. It shouldn't be hard to track them down and discredit them. Such perverted women. Yuck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice