Local native loses spotlight in race against JonBenet's dad

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JustinCase, Jul 27, 2004.

1. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

GENESEE COUNTY
    THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
    Sunday, July 25, 2004
    By Marjory Raymer
    mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325
    QUICK TAKE
    # Local boost105th state House District Republican candidate Jeff Garfield's parents will host a $25-per-person fund-raiser from 4-8 p.m. today at their home, 2393 Davis Road in Fenton Township.

Lake Fenton native Jeff Garfield is at the center of the most-watched political race in Michigan.

Well, almost at the center.

The blinding limelight from major media outlets across the nation is actually aimed at his main competitor in the six-way Republican primary: John Ramsey, the father of slain 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey.

So it's not Garfield's experience or the way he turned his life around that's drawing attention to this touristy 105th state House District, stretching from Gaylord to Cheboygan to Charlevoix, where former front-runner Garfield says electing Ramsey would be an embarrassment for the state.

"It's not a Republican or Democratic issue any more. It is about Michigan not looking like fools," said Garfield, who had been a virtual shoo-in to replace term-limited Rep. Ken Bradstreet, R-Gaylord, before Ramsey returned to the spotlight eight years after his daughter's Christmas Day slaying captivated the nation and put him and his wife, Patsy, under an "umbrella of suspicion."

"His opponent has gotten interviewed on Larry King Live. A reporter from Boulder, Colo., is covering the race. Handwriting analyses are regularly discussed. His Web site's gotten hits from China."

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-22/109076172464090.xml

2. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Garfield summed it up nicely with this statement..."He knows nothing about our issues or our problems," Garfield said. "It's some arrogant fool trying to ... vindicate himself in the court of public opinion."

3. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

"It's not a Republican or Democratic issue any more. It is about Michigan not looking like fools."

Come November that may be true. Until then, it only makes Republicans look that way, imho.

4. Show Me

Justin Case....and John will treat the tax money as his own 'every penny'....just like he did with the profits from the paperback edition of DOI. Which claimed all the money was going into the JBR foundation....and instead ended up in John's pocket....'every penny' he claimed recently was his!

I bought the book and instead of the money going to charity, John STOLE it all!!!! NONE of the profits showed up in the JBR foundation records.

Isn't there a charity watch group for fraud?

Garfield I hope you are reading here. After all John was listed as vice-president, so he had to know where the money went.

5. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Good point Show Me,

I do recall John saying 'every penny' of the foundation money was his, I also bought DOI but I bought it from Ebay so I hope none of the money went to them; I think John and Patsy are "scott free" because the foundation is no longer a public charity.

I do recall the couple closing the foundation after being questioned about it by the Boulder Police in their first interviews, by their second interviews the Foundation was no longer active; I wonder how much money that book made them, and why it never went to anything that could preserve JonBenet's memory.

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Garfield

Garfield should not be taking such a defeatist attitude. Very few people follow the Rams on those tabloid cable shows. (Just a few fanatics like us).
    How many rural Michiganders even HAVE cable?

Jeff should put forth an aggressive effort in these last few days of the campaign. I hope our letters help.

How is Elsenheimer doing? Has anyone actually seen any of the polls, for which the Ramsey Campaign expended thousands of dolars? I can't find the poll results anywhere. Could it be that the polls revealed that John Ramsey will garner less than 10% of the vote? That's my educated guess.

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Correction!!!

As of today, a major correction has been added to Raymer's article:

GENESEE COUNTY
    THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
    Sunday, July 25, 2004
    By Marjory Raymer
    mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325

CORRECTION: = A Sunday story "Local native loses spotlight in race against JonBenet's dad" should have said "Lake Fenton native Jeff Garfield and Bellaire attorney Kevin Elsenheimer, a former school board member there, have elected office experience"

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Detroit Free Press Editorial

The Free Press DOES NOT endorse Ramsey.

Editorials

State House

In three districts, voters have a crowded field to choose from; these are the best candidates

July 21, 2004

Second in a series of endorsements in legislative races outside the tri-county Detroit area.

The national media have reduced the race to succeed Kenneth Bradstreet in the Michigan House to one name -- John Ramsey. But the field is about as large as DISTRICT 105 itself, which covers Antrim, Charlevoix and Otsego counties and most of Cheboygan County.

Six Republicans and two Democrats are vying to head to Lansing on behalf of voters in the northern lower peninsula district, which, after being reconstituted in 2002, leans Republican.

In the Democratic primary, voters would be cheating themselves to overlook the experience and readiness of JAMES McKIMMY, 65, of Rapid City, who served as public school superintendent for four districts, including Antrim.

McKimmy, also a former president of the Michigan Association of School Administrators, has an evenhanded understanding of Lansing's problems and a willingness to really study issues rather than reach for the costly temporary fix. This Democrat could find broad appeal come November.

In the Republican primary, Ramsey, the big name and father of slain 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey, is promising to bring a lot more than media attention. The quasi-retired computer executive wants to crusade for a quicker end to the Small Business Tax and duplicate government services. But voters have not heard a lot about these ideas, since most of the campaign has been spent explaining how Ramsey, 60, of Charlevoix really is a Michigan man, raised in the state from age 12 and educated at Michigan State University before moving to Alabama and later Colorado.

The field includes two other notable candidates. Kevin Elsenheimer, a thoughtful 38-year-old municipal lawyer from Bellaire and lifelong northern Michigan resident, looks to champion choice education and job development in the district.

But it's BONNIE NOTHOFF, 62, a dental hygienist from Kewadin, who emerges as the strongest candidate. She has great passion about reforming and broadening access to health care; getting people good primary care, she said, would save the state from having to pay higher bills for emergency and chronic problems later.

As director of governmental affairs for the Michigan Dental Hygienists' Association, Nothoff made a priority of speaking up for low-income people faced with losing state-funded dental care. Nothoff is a committed listener, evidenced by her 13 months going door-to-door and sitting through township meetings.

Critics argue that she's only lived in the area for a couple of years. But voters should count the time she's committed on the trail as a sign that Bonnie Nothoff intends to take them seriously. She is the best choice.

9. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

It could be that very thing. Maybe 14%.

It was a bad headline for that story, ignorantly so, imho.

"The blinding limelight from major media outlets across the nation is actually aimed at his main competitor in the six-way Republican primary: John Ramsey, the father of slain 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey."

Yes, it is.

10. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Polls

Polls are regarded with skepticism here. One poll notoriously predicted one party to win and a different party had a landslide victory!

11. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

More Campaign News

Ramsey Outraises 5 Opponents Combined

As of today's state finance filing deadline, House candidate John Ramsey has out-fundraised his five primary opponents combined, by tapping into his own wallet and snagging contributions from across the country - 28 states to be exact.

Of the $112,000 Ramsey has raised, a little more than half, $60,000, came from his own pocket, $35,000 (about 30 percent) came from contributors outside the 105th district and the rest from contributors within the district, mostly from Ramsey's new hometown of Charlevoix.

"Raising money is never easy, but working with a candidate of the caliber of John Ramsey, it's made easy," said Ramsey campaign manager John Yob. "There's a large feeling of compassion and goodwill out there and his strong business success has made people reach for their checkbooks.

"Especially our larger contributors like to give to someone who has signed the front of a check and the back of a check," Yob continued.

Ramsey took contributions from well wishers in 28 states and the District of Columbia, include JR (name, city and state redacted), who sent Ramsey her two cents, literally, two pennies. Most of Ramsey's nearly 300 contributors were from out of the district, but about a third of his money did come from within the 105th District, most of that from his new hometown of Charlevoix.

From his out-of-state friends, most came from the Atlanta, GA, area, where the Ramseys lived after moving out of Boulder, Colo. In total, Ramsey has raised $111,951, spent $87,984 and has $23,966 left as of last Friday. The fundraising appears to be paying off as internal polling reportedly had Ramsey up by 6 points going into the last week of the race.

The only other candidate who's had this type of money to play with is Otsego County Commissioner Jeff Garfield, who took out a $55,000 personal loan to finance his campaign, which is now $73,863 in the hole. Fellow Gaylord resident Craig Ryan has the most money on hand of the remaining five with $11,273.

"I've always operated under the strategy that this would be more of a comparatively lower budget, grass roots campaign for me," said Ryan, adding that he's raised some additional money since the filing deadline that will be used for his final eight-day closing kick.

Asked if he's surprised Ramsey has put forward that much cash for his campaign, Ryan said, "No, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he went out and loaned himself the same amount again in the final weeks leading up to the primary … out of Charlevoix, he's certainly in with the money crowd."

***snip***

www.mirsnews.com

12. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

O.p.m.

John Ramsey is an old hand at using Other People's Money. Would Yob have us believe that Ramsey actually took that 60 Grand out of HIS OWN POCKET?

Mr. Yob, we were not born yesterday. We know how these things work.

In all probablity, Ramsey was fronted this $60,000 from the Yobs. It has been steadily flowing back into the Yobs' coffers. See the Expenditure Analysis at the top of this thread:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5081

Michigan needs some decent investigative reporters, IMHO.

How could Ramsey come up with $60,000 for this campaign, when he has been crying poor-mouth all over the place, bemoaning how the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation has literally bankrupted him. His friend and collaborator Michael Tracey has stated time and time again in his "documentaries" that John Ramsey is "broke".

Several of Ramseys lawyers are still awaiting payment for services rendered. I wonder if there's any way they can seize Ramsey's campaign moneys as payment for his back debts.

Ramsey is a deadbeat and a cheat...and in all possibility,a murderer-- according to Governor Owens of Colorado, who says Ramsey is "under the umbrella of suspicion" in the murder of his daughter.

Owens has never retracted that statement, despite all John Ramsey's clamoring to the public that he has been cleared.

John Ramsey HAS NEVER BEEN CLEARED as a suspect in the murder of JonBenet.

13. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

What a Spin!

The fundraising appears to be paying off as internal polling reportedly had Ramsey up by 6 points going into the last week of the race.

Up 6% from what--1%??? Internal poll--worthless.

Whirling dervishes, those Yobs!

14. Show Me

And to think I thought John said he'd 'create more jobs' not 'create more for Yob'.

15. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Hah!

Good one, Show Me! :rolling:

16. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Oh, look!

"Ramsey took contributions from well wishers in 28 states and the District of Columbia, include JR (name, city and state redacted), who sent Ramsey her two cents, literally, two pennies."

17. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I have a little different perspective on this, especially after reading some of Candy's posts at CS asking that people donate to Jeff Garfield, because he's the "hero" Steve Thomas was supposed to have been.

My only interest in Michigan politics is John Ramsey. Period. There is no way in he11 he should be elected to public office, IMO. However, I do not live in Michigan, and, unlike others from 27 different states, according to the spinmeisters of the Ramsey team, I have no interest in donating my NYS money to Michigan politics. I am not interesting in being a "hero" for Michigan politics, no more than Steve Thomas had one blasted thing to do with what is going on in Michigan, despite Candy's protestations that this is all his fault.

The fault lies directly with Michigan voters, of which I assume Candy is one. If they are so stupid and uninterested in knowing the truth about John and Patsy Ramsey and how they obstructed justice every step of the way in their daughter's murder, then they deserve whatever they get if they vote Ramsey into office. It would be like John Ramsey running for office in a district in WNY, where I live. I can't imagine people around here being so stupid as to vote for a man with so much baggage, but one thing I know - no one here would be begging Michigan voters to send money to help his opponents.

I hope this lying sack of crap doesn't get elected to office in Michigan, but since I don't have a voice there in the form of a vote, I won't be sending any money to anyone there. I wish Garfield all the luck in the world.

Tricia and other members of this forum have worked their behinds off trying to inform the voters of Michigan about Ramsey, only to be criticized openly for doing so by Candy, who complained that it was basically not the business of anyone outside of Michigan; yet, she has no qualms about asking for donations for Garfield from those people who have no business in Michigan politics.

Everything was there for the taking on the website Tricia set up - all any opposing candidate needed to do was to take the information on that website and use it to show how undependable Ramsey is. What more do that want? We've written letters to the editor and complained about the Ramsey crap on TV. What have the candidates done for themselves? The gloves should have come off long ago, the truth should have come out. That it hasn't is the direct fault of the people of Michigan.

I don't have much sympathy for whiners. FFJ has all but spoon-fed all the information Ramsey's opposition would need against him. It's like, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. What do we have to do, go to Michigan and do the work for them? I know it takes money, especially to fight against the impoverished (yeah, right) Ramseys, but the amount of money Ramsey has spent on his campaign, alone, should set off some red flags in the minds of Michigan voters. I doubt if anyone will question why people outside Michigan have been the main supporters of Ramsey's campaign. One thought is that these supporters are so glad he's in Michigan, they are going to help him stay there.

At any rate, I'm about fed up with the Ramseys and the way they have been allowed to bully their way through the past eight years. I'm fed up with all their lies and excuses, and I'm fed up with anyone who thinks what they have done can be overlooked.

From where I'm sitting, if Michigan voters vote in a suspect in the murder of his own daughter (and, yes, he is STILL a suspect in the minds of many Americans), then they are every bit as stupid as the morons in Boulder who continue this farce of an "investigation" that isn't.

18. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Gee, WY, had I read your post before posting mine on another thread, I may have seen it as unnecessary. On the other hand, I think it's a pretty good tandem.

19. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Where? What did I miss? Guess I'd better go looking, EW.

20. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

It's on the Cry Foul thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice