Lin Wood - ah the inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by VP, Aug 10, 2004.

1. VP

VP Member

http://p216.ezboard.com/fcrimeandjustice13552frm78.showMessage?topicID=220.topic

On March 29, 1969, Wood returned to his home in Macon, Ga., to find his father standing over the body of his 42-year-old mother, Josephine. Lucian Lincoln Wood was trying to revive his wife, but he had beaten her to death in a drunken rage. He was charged with murder, and his son and 17-year-old daughter were left to fend without parents.

Sleeping at the YMCA and working odd jobs through the end of high school, Wood helped raise money to hire lawyers that secured an involuntary-manslaughter plea bargain for his father. Lucian Wood was sentenced to five years in prison and served about two.

*snip*

Wood took refuge in books, earning a full academic scholarship to Mercer University. He stayed there for law school, getting married two years in. At 25, he graduated with honors and returned to Macon to work at his father-in-law's law firm.

Lin's version of the story:

GANGEL: Then one night when Wood was 16 years old, he came home to find his father had killed his mother.

Mr. WOOD: I knew right away that they'd had a fight, and I knew it had to be bad. I looked into my parents' bedroom, my mother was lying in the bed. She was not clothed. She had a sheet pulled up over her. And it was obvious from the hallway looking in that she was dead. And I turned and said to my father, 'What have you done?' I walked into the bedroom and beside her, lifted her wrist, felt, knew that she was, in fact, dead. So, I came back out into the kitchen and called the police, and--not an ambulance, and said, 'My father has killed my mother. Please come to my house.'

*snip*

"Then he worked his way through college and law school, graduating with honors."

(Remember the full scholarship?)

"So far in a court of law, I've won every case," Wood says. "And I'm not worried about losing in the future."

Could someone please find for me a case that Wood has ever tried in a court of law??

Just Sayin'

2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Hi VP. I live in Lewisville now. Want to go out to dinner on me sometime? I sent you a PM a while back but never heard from you

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Well, the following isn't inconsistent. It's Consistent. Wood's lawsuits very well could complicate and hinder the criminal cases surrounding his clients.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5662597/

Attorneys John Clune and Lin Wood said their client was owed money for pain, “public scorn, hatred and ridicule†she has suffered as a result of the alleged attack last summer. They also accused Bryant of similar misconduct involving other women, but provided no details.

The filing came less than a week after the attorneys said they were considering a civil suit after a series of mistakes they say have undermined their client’s chance to have her accusations heard fairly.

To win a civil lawsuit, a plaintiff must prove only that it is more likely than not harm was caused by the defendant. Prosecutors in a criminal case have to convince jurors beyond a reasonable doubt a defendant committed a crime, a much higher standard of proof.

Prosecution spokeswoman Krista Flannigan said the state criminal case will proceed, but declined comment on whether the federal case would complicate the trial.

Wood also declined comment, citing District Judge Terry Ruckriegle’s sweeping gag order in the case. Bryant’s attorneys did not return a message.

Bryant, 25, has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault. He has said he had consensual sex with the woman, then 19, at the Vail-area resort where she worked last summer. The Los Angeles Lakers star faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000 if convicted. Jury selection begins Aug. 27.

Legal experts said a civil trial would allow Bryant’s defense lawyers to claim in the criminal case that her motives were purely financial.

Bryant’s attorneys have already argued the woman falsely accused Bryant to gain the attention of a former boyfriend, and that she was given nearly $20,000 from a victims’ compensation fund.

“Now all of a sudden it looks like this whole thing was for money. If it’s otherwise, then why would she file a civil case?†said Dan Recht, former president of the Colorado Criminal Bar Association.

4. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

While I haven't followed this very much I was thinking that Kobe was guilty. Until the DNA evidence showed she had had sex with other men after her supposed rape.

I can't think of any woman who could hope into bed with a man within a week of being brutally raped....and now this. Money, it's all about the money.
    She got a money lawyer for what she was after. I hope Kobe turns around and slaps a libel suit on her if thats possible.

5. VP

VP Member

Hey BobC!

Of course, as long as you hold real still I'd love to eat dinner on you :cold:
    I didn't get a PM :( I'll send my email addy in PM....

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

VP, you told me you didn't like BobC. You said you would rather have hot bamboo shoots in your eyeballs than go out with him again. What changed?

Great thread by the way. Glad you are posting. Don't be such a stranger. :bunny:

7. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Women do have sex after rape, Freebird. What difference if it's a day or a week.

But would you please provide the source of "DNA evidence showed she had had sex with other men after her supposed rape"? I've read or heard this before somewhere, but was thinking the dna couldn't be dated or that the information may be faulty, something. Thanks.

"I hope Kobe turns around and slaps a libel suit on her if thats possible." It would be easy enough for me to simply say I hope Kobe Bryant rots in hell, but no; I would hope that he would come clean or else I hope this rape victim wins her civil suit and the criminal case. I don't like what Lin Wood has done in the Ramsey case, but in this case, I am on the same side as he.

VP, that is such an interesting story on the history of Lin Wood. I had read it a long time ago, and it provided me with some insight into why he does what he does. I'm glad you posted it.

8. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

JC I'm at work so don't have the time to find the article right now but I will later this evening.
    From what I understand there was no other DNA found on Kobe other than his accusers, while she had his and at least one other persons.

Also I can't in my wildest ramblings imagine a woman who has been brutally raped having sex with another man immediately. Showering and summers eve'ing would be a first reaction....trying to get clean.

9. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

VEEPEE!!! I've missed you, baby.

I want to have dinner on BobC, too.

I have mixed feelings about the Kobe Bryant thing. I do not think this girl's sex life, in general, should have anything to do with whether Bryant raped her or not, but I admit it seems strange to me that a woman who has just been brutally raped would be so eager to have sex with someone else in the next day or so. Rape is traumatic, not something one gets over quickly.

I don't think Kobe's squeaky clean on this - if he were, he wouldn't have been cheating on his wife in the first place. I have an idea it was a case that the girl may have agreed to have sex with Kobe, but when he wanted her bent over a chair, she objected. He did it anyway. I guess they call that rape - the rape being when she changed her mind because she didn't enjoy being bent over the chair. She did have bruises on her thighs, and I think they came from Kobe.

It all comes down to, whom do you believe? If they try to make her look like a slut, and they will, it will hurt her case. Celebrities seem to have the upper hand in cases like this. I do think, though, that Kobe's image has been tarnished. I always liked to watch him play basketball, but I no longer have much respect for him as a man.

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I can't imagine it immediately either, Freebird. May be it came from a recent previous experience? I hope you find the article; I'd like to read it. Thanks.

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Thats the point JC if it was a previous encounter then Kobe would have also had that DNA on himself mixed with hers. He didn't.

I believe this is it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5541241/

12. Ginja

Ginja Member

Jc

NYTimes.com > National

Papers Reveal New Details in Kobe Bryant Rape Case
    By ADAM LIPTAK

Published: August 4, 2004

ewly released court papers in the rape case against Kobe Bryant suggest that his accuser had sex with a second man not long after her encounter with Mr. Bryant. They also show that prosecutors were concerned that disclosure of that information could undermine their case.

The evidence was discussed in a two-day hearing in June in which defense lawyers sought to persuade the judge to allow testimony about the woman's sexual history. The judge last month ruled that much of the evidence was admissible. A transcript of the hearing, which a court clerk had mistakenly e-mailed to seven news organizations last month, was officially released late Monday.

The only witness to testify at the hearing, a defense expert, said that DNA evidence strongly suggested that Mr. Bryant's accuser had sex with a second man not long after her encounter with Mr. Bryant. That conclusion is at odds with a statement the woman gave at the time and will doubtless be used by defense lawyers to provide an alternative explanation for the injuries she suffered.

At the June hearing, Ingrid S. Bakke, a prosecutor, argued that a Colorado law that generally bars admitting evidence concerning the sexual history of people who say they were sexually assaulted should apply in the case. Ms. Bakke also cautioned that a contrary ruling would do grave harm to the prosecution's case.

Were that to happen, she said, according to the transcript, "I'm thinking the prosecution is going to sit down and re-evaluate the quality of its case and its chances of a successful prosecution."

But last month the judge, W. Terry Ruckriegle, the chief judge of the district court in Eagle, Colo., did allow some evidence concerning the woman's sexual conduct to be presented, though he limited it to the 72-hour period that ended with her physical examination on July 1, 2003, the day after her encounter with Mr. Bryant at a resort hotel near Vail.

Judge Ruckriegle said he reluctantly released the transcript only because higher courts had ordered him to.

The trial of Mr. Bryant, a basketball superstar for the Los Angeles Lakers, is set to start Aug. 27.

While some legal experts cautioned against drawing conclusions from partial evidence, others said that the DNA evidence described in the transcript might irretrievably damage the prosecution's case. Craig Silverman, a former Denver prosecutor, focused on the expert's conclusion that the woman had had sex with another man after her encounter with Mr. Bryant.

"That is inconsistent with the way jurors could expect a true rape victim to act," Mr. Silverman said, "and it is inconsistent with what she and her attorney have said."

Others said the new information, even if true, might not be significant.

"Even if the alleged victim did have sex with someone after the incident with Kobe Bryant," said Karen Steinhauser, a former sexual assault prosecutor in Denver, "it tells us nothing about whether she consented to have sex with Kobe Bryant."

Some information remains sealed. It includes, Judge Ruckriegle wrote on Monday, the accuser's name, information concerning her sexual activities outside the 72-hour window, any use of drugs and alcohol and her mental health history. Those restrictions affected only a handful of passages in the transcript. The accuser was generally referred to as "Miss ______"; the second man as Mr. X.

The only witness to testify at the hearing was Dr. Elizabeth A. Johnson, a defense expert in forensic DNA analysis. Dr. Johnson said she had detected semen from a second man on various samples. The second man's DNA was present, she said, in and on the woman, on what prosecutors called "the purple G-string" she wore when she met Mr. Bryant and on yellow underwear she wore to the physical examination the next day.

Mr. Bryant has said he had consensual sex with the woman. His DNA was detected in several samples as well, though not on the yellow underwear.

Prosecutors maintain that old, dry semen from the second man on the yellow underwear accounted for its presence on the various samples.

Dr. Johnson said that theory was not plausible.

"I think is would be highly coincidental for someone in the act of putting on underwear to make three separate circular spots on their thighs," she testified in June.

"It is highly unlikely to explain how that material got internally," she continued. Dr. Johnson added that if sex with the second man had preceded the encounter with Mr. Bryant, some of the second man's genetic material would have been found on Mr. Bryant and his clothing.

In a statement issued in March, the accuser's lawyer, John Clune, called the accusation that his client had sex not long after her encounter with Mr. Bryant "patently false."

According to an earlier decision in the case by a different judge, Mr. Bryant's accuser gave an account of her recent sexual history at her physical examination a year ago. "The alleged accuser," Judge Frederick Gannett, of County Court in Eagle, wrote, "disclosed that she had engaged in sexual intercourse on June 28, 2003, and that her partner has used a condom."

Personally, I think it's obvious that this woman has been out for her 15 minutes of fame and any money she could get from her encounter with a famous person. This is pretty obvious by her wanting to get out of the criminal case as the facts have become public. I really get peeved when people pull stunts like this, hiding behind "shields" that protect their private agendas from being exposed. I think this is exactly what's going on here, obviated by her latest quest to file a civil suit for monetary damages.

Some may argue that the accuser's personal information and sexual escapades history never should have been made public or allowed into the case. My question to those people is whether you believe the same shields and protections should apply to other criminal cases, such as sex offenders who get out of jail for so-called good behavior only to turn around and rape and murder?

We, and the courts, talk a lot about "intent." We see it all the time when we consider whether an act is premeditated or accidental. In the case at hand, what was the accuser's intent when she voluntarily and on her own volition went to Kobe's room after her shift ended? Did she expect to sit with Kobe, sipping chocolate milkshakes and talking basketball? Or was she hoping for an opportunity to have an "encounter" with Kobe...an encounter she could throw in her (ex)boyfriend's face to make him jealous?

After hearing many of the facts in this case, my personal feeling here is that Kobe was an excuse for her to make her friend jealous. After her encounter with Kobe, she ran to the friend and "threw it in his face." He reacted as she'd hoped, they argued, then made up and had sex. However, her friend 'accepted' the accuser's explanation of the encounter because she'd told him she didn't want the sex, that Kobe had raped her. And probably to save face, or to keep things kosher with the friend, she "had" to file rape charges.

jmpo

13. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

and me

I feel Kobe is innocent of rape. He suggested they go in the hot tub first (she didn't want to, said let's go to your room). She had sex within hours of her so called rape and never mentioned anyting to her ex-boyfriend (?) Who is it that told her to go in for a rape test? I believe it was her parents. What did she say to them?

How can you prove where the bruises on the thighs came from. Sources say her ex and her had "kinky" sex...what does that mean? rought? I don't know.

I realize a women has a right to change her mind, but can she say go, stop, go, stop???????? At what point didn't she say to stop and who says she really did?????

No, Kobe is not an angel, but on this one I think she's out for the money.

14. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I can say go, stop, go stop. :) I'm taking my thoughts on Kobe Bryant to the Kobe Bryant thread.

Thanks for posting the article!

15. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

16. Tez

Tez Member

I watched or rather tried to watch her on CC yesterday. What she says makes sense. I think that the "alleged victim" was in it for the money from the get go....I am not saying that she didn't say no, but I really doubt it at this point. I think she wanted to be wined and dined, and Kobe just wanted a quickie. Then, she decided to cry rape. Which is really sad for true victims of rape, because this case will probably make them not want to come forward. It would be interesting to read those text messages, no?

17. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I would never come forward. Jesus.

But getting back to the Lin Wood article, this was so funny:

"Clarence Otworth vs. John and Patsy Ramsey: Filed August 2000, seeking $100,000 for breach of contract. The Ramseys had offered a $100,000 reward to anyone with information on who killed their daughter, and the Georgia man said he was owed the money because he had the answer: They did. Dismissed November 2000."

And this: "Wood said he's also heard rumblings of book deals by an "Internet junkie."

And this: "The days of 'The Ramseys did it' — that story's over," he said. "The 'umbrella of suspicion' is closed."

I wonder if he saw that picture at Ramsey's political rally.

18. Tez

Tez Member

That is too funny! Well, he does have a valid claim, IMO, BWHAAAA!

19. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

:rolling:

Don't call his client a slut but he can call Kobe a rapist rather than an alleged rapist? Woody lives by a double standard but then that does not surprise me. The :doughboy: always came across as someone who lives on a one way street to me. JMH&CPO

Hey Woody - if it has webbed feet, waddles like a :ducky: and quacks like a :ducky: guess what?

Sex with 30 different guys in a six month period goes well beyond being a slut. This girl needs help. JMH&CPO

20. Tez

Tez Member

30 different guys in six months? Lordy! I haven't even been with one-sixth of those in all of my almost 39 years!!!!! She has been a busy girl...

Yep, Kobe's a rapist according to Lin, but don't call Patsy a murderer or even an alleged murderer cause he will sue you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice