Hurricane Charley:North Captiva Island ground zero

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Show Me, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Can't get much news on Captiva and Sanibel Islands, so I checked out a local forum. The news is terrible! North Captiva was ground zero with 145 mile an hour winds and possibly only the fire station is still standing intact. Sanibel fared better but news is still sketchy.

I've seen the devastation all over Florida and my heart goes out to you posters in Florida. RR are you in Florida? Punta Gorda, Coral Gables as well as Daytona, and all the others have suffered a terrible blow.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Show Me, RR took a first and direct hit from Charley. No one has been able to learn anything about how she and her children fared. We are very worried. Check out today's daily...

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

These hurricanes that go into the Gulf of Mexico and hit the west side of Florida seem to be much more devastating that those that hit further up the eastern coast, because they first hit Florida full force, then regather strength coming out of Florida over the Atlantic, then hitting South Carolina, creating a double whammy.

It sounds as if Charley's fury hasn't played out, yet. We can only hope and pray this isn't a harbinger of what this hurricane season has in store for the east coast.

Everyone who is living in any of these areas, please get checked in here, if you can. We are extremely concerned...

4. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

I hope RR will be able to check in soon and that she and her family are fine. Until then I will keep her and her family in my prayers. Same for anyone else who lives in those area’s.

5. Show Me

WY I can't find the daily on the forum search thingie.

Now my stomach is tied in knots knowing RR was in the path! My prayers to her and any other FFJer in the path of the storm.

They showed shots of Sanibel finally and reported 100 % of the homes are damaged or destroyed!

I am sickened...I'd always wanted to send my girls, when they married, to Song of the Sea on a honeymoon.

Cash donations are preferred to clothes, food etc....way too much red tape involved in sorting out truckloads of items.
    It is quicker to convert cash into neccessities in the stricken areas. The governor said they learned this from Andrew.

6. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Watching You,

I've got a question for you. When we registered here at the FFJ did we give a home or work phone number? I don't remember if I did or not. But maybe now would be a good time to do so. I understand that many folks registered here want to remain as anamous as possible. And they should. But giving your phone number to Tricia alone would be a very wise thing I think. Look at the situation we are in now. I certainly trust Tricia with having my phone number. And with the nation wide number of members we can be a powerful force as an info line perhaps in a case like this.

7. Driver

Driver FFJ Senior Member

Show Me, will you please share the local forum about Captiva? I have friends and family in the area. I noticed yu said North Captiva.. That is a little different than Captiva. North Captiva can only be accessed by boat. (unless my mind has taken a vacation.) Captiva is right next to Sanibel with just a short little bridge.

I have been looking for information about both Sanibel and Captiva and can't find anything yet. I did read that the bridge connecting FT Myers and Sanibel seems okay but will have to be tested to make sure.

8. Show Me

Driver, I remember North Captiva as mainly South Seas Resort area, a gated area of condos and homes. Captiva was already 2 islands, but the bridge over one part of Captiva to the other was a small narrow inlet dividing the island, news is reporting a 400 foot wide area of sea now separates Captiva.

Mandatory evacuation early Friday morning, except for a few essential personel and Guard. I have not heard of any loss of life on Captiva or Sanibel, the tallest point of Sanibel is 11 feet I believe, so most if not all of Sanibel and all of Captiva under water during the storm surge.

Showed a shot of the end of north Captiva and the condos are heavily damaged.

The Sanibel causeway was inspected and reopened.

I will try to keep you updated Driver.

9. Driver

Driver FFJ Senior Member

Show Me, I think this is just a case of semantics. South Seas Resort, etc is located at the northern end of Captiva. Noth Captiva is a separate island accessible by boat. You use golf carts to get around. There are very few year round residents there. If you can and are interested, do a search for North Captiva Island and see what you get to come up. I have heard there is substantial damage on Captiva, too, but cannot imagine that it is all gone.

I know the pass you are talking about, and cant think what it is called. We used to fish there occasionally and shell. That little pass shanged during some other hurricane, either opened up or closed up some.. I forget the exact story about it. But, as you know, they are extremely anxious about keeping everything over there "natural" and so they don't dredge. I remember a friend telling me, if it closes up, it closes up.

10. Show Me

You are right Driver... Andrew redeposited the beaches on Sanibel and Captiva. Taking some away and filling up others. The shells are fantastic...I still have boxes of shells packed away.

We too paid and parked...I did a little body surfing, the waves were better, in fact too good. Didn't surf long. The shells, wonderful. We often drove around Sanibel and Captiva looking around, the islands were so beautiful. Took mom and the kids and an occasional friend, or hubby and I would go on our anniversaries.

I'm lurking now and then on the local forum, the address is above in the first post, as the locals will probably get the news before the national channels do.

People are reporting everyone evacuated the islands as they were told to do...so I've not heard of any loss of life on the islands.

11. Driver

Driver FFJ Senior Member

Boy am I blind! I feel so stupid! Chow Me, I can't see the address you are talking about. I tried doing an internet search for HurricaneCharley: North Captiva Ground Zero and nothing came up. Would you please post the URL or give me instructions on where to find it? Sorry I am so dense.

By the way, I just read a report on Sanibel in the News Press. It is a little more heartening than the report you saw. But they don't have any elec, phones, water, etc or anything. The water is contaminated, so it will be a while before they will let residents back it said. Also, it said that the roads are thick with so many of the Australian pines down and you can't even get a bicucle by. Isn't that a shame?

12. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Oh, no! I lift prayers as a rule, but God knows a special one is going up.

13. Show Me

http://www.voy.com/2078/

Sorry Driver! My mistake, thought I posted the url. The above one on this post is it. My bad......

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

15. Show Me

Thanks Lurker...still both islands are devasted...totally.

I read on another forum that RR might be in an area that may not have electricity for a month!

16. Show Me

http://nbc-2.com/

aerial views for Driver. Scroll down a little and click on the videos. The images aren't very sharp but gives you an idea of the destruction.

The bridge was Blind pass.

17. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

This is so tragic. Still trying to find RR.

Zoomama, we don't require any personal info when you register other than a real email.

I am in Northern Idaho. Not much news and I can only stay on the lodge's computer for 30 mintues. I'll keep checking in.

Praying for RR and all in Flordia.

18. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Praying for RR & all

I am always a breath away from tears anyway, and this saddens me deeply. Until someone hears from RiverRat, I am going to refrain from posting. I guess this is a good time to say I have a great respect for the intregrity of this site, and thank you all who have accepted me. And until then I'll surely read, looking forward to some good news. Keeping the faith, JC

ps - UNCLE SAMs IRS Criminal Investigation 800 phone number: 829-0433. They ask for addresses:

Checks are to be made out to jameson and mailed to
    jameson
    PO Box 5333
    Hickory, NC 28603

Better Business Bureau for Hickory, NC: http://www.charlotte.bbb.org/index.html

19. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

RiverRat and her family are in my constant thoughts, I'm praying that she checks in here as soon as it's possible (and safe) for her to do so. I'm also praying for everyone in that area, it's absolute devastation from what I was able to view in pics.

20. Elle

Elle Member

I haven't heard from Delmar England yet. He's in Sebring. I'm following the net news. I sincerely hope RR and Delmar will be safe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice