Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb This is not a DNA case...

...(Lin) Wood pointed out other findings that still could not be explained: unidentified male DNA found in JonBenét's panties, and the ransom note. I had talked with Henry Lee many times over the years regarding DNA issues in the case. Both of us felt it likely there was some sort of contaminant throwing off the results. Mortal Evidence by Cyril Wecht, MD., J.D. and Craig Saitz with Mark Curriden P77;pp2

Authorities working on the case secured what the newspaper called, "unopened control samples," of the same underwear produced at the same factory in Southeast Asia. Tests then were conducted on the samples, and some had human DNA in them. P77;pp3

Read it and weep Susan Bennett aka Jameson and Lin Wood aka the :doughboy:
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

It's not all that puzzling, I suppose, that the RST tries to hang their hat on the DNA, however, the only way to make this a DNA case is for them to sell this as an intruder. Unidentified DNA does not an intruder make.

Little

Default Orchid Positioned to Provide Increased DNA Testing Services

Press Release Source: Orchid BioSciences, Inc.

Orchid Positioned to Provide Increased DNA Testing Services as Landmark New Criminal Justice Law Goes Into Effect
    Tuesday November 2, 1:31 pm ET
    - `Justice for All Act' Provides Major Federal Funding to Clear Backlog of DNA Samples, Ensure the Right Person is Convicted and Expand Use of DNA in Law Enforcement -

PRINCETON, N.J., Nov. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Orchid BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: ORCH - News), a leading worldwide supplier of DNA identity testing services, announced today that it is well-positioned to assist in providing the increased DNA testing services expected to result from a landmark new law recently signed by President Bush -- the "Justice for All Act of 2004," which sets the stage for broad-based DNA testing for law enforcement in the U.S.

The legislation authorizes an infusion of more than $1 billion in federal funds over the next five years to eliminate the current backlog of unanalyzed DNA evidence languishing in police department evidence rooms, to afford greater access to DNA testing by convicted offenders and to enable expansion of the FBI Laboratory's national Combined DNA Index System, known as CODIS. Through its Orchid Cellmark unit, Orchid is a long-established leader in providing forensic DNA analysis services to law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and the U.K., and in developing innovative ways to expand the utility of DNA testing.

"Through our involvement in literally thousands of criminal cases in nearly all 50 U.S. states and the U.K., currently the most advanced user of forensic DNA analysis in the world, Orchid Cellmark has experienced first hand the power of DNA testing to improve the criminal justice system, so we are well-positioned to accommodate the increasing testing volumes expected to result from this landmark legislation," said Paul J. Kelly, M.D., chief executive officer of Orchid. "As a pioneer and innovator in DNA analysis, we look forward to serving as a key collaborative partner with law enforcement agencies, organizations protecting the innocent, and advocates for victims of crime to ensure that DNA evidence is used in a timely manner to convict the guilty and absolve the innocent."

Highlights of Orchid's forensic activities include:
    -- Collaborated with the New York City Police Department to create
    Biotracks, a new pilot program to solve burglaries using DNA samples
    from crime scene evidence. According to published news reports,
    Biotracks has identified 23 suspects in 34 cases, most of which might
    otherwise have been left unsolved. Orchid proposed this new
    application of DNA forensic analysis in the U.S. based on its
    successful experience supporting a similar program in the U.K.
    -- Orchid Cellmark is the largest independent supplier of scene-of-crime
    DNA analysis to U.K. police forces including the Metropolitan Police
    Force, home of the famed "Scotland Yard." The U.K. is recognized as a
    world leader in using DNA evidence to help solve crimes.
    -- Orchid Cellmark recently helped identify a suspect in a 1968 murder
    case in New Jersey by analyzing DNA samples more than 30 years old.
    Orchid Cellmark provided DNA testing assistance leading to the
    confession of Gary Ridgeway in the Green River murders investigation,
    the largest serial rape and murder case in the nation's history. DNA
    testing by Orchid Cellmark exonerated four wrongly-convicted
    defendants imprisoned for more than 17 years for the Chicago slaying
    of medical student Lori Roscetti. Orchid Cellmark is also currently
    assisting the Houston Police Department in the reanalysis of DNA cases
    during its moratorium to attain accreditation.
    -- Orchid Cellmark has analyzed DNA evidence used in many high profile
    criminal cases, including O.J. Simpson, JonBenet Ramsey, Danielle Van
    Dam, and the Unabomber, and has helped to identify the remains of
    victims of the World Trade Center disaster.
    -- Orchid Cellmark has also provided forensic testing in historically
    notable cases including Christopher Columbus, the Boston Strangler,
    Jesse James and Billy the Kid.

"One of the more significant aspects of the Justice for All Act is that the elimination of DNA backlogs and wider use of DNA forensic testing will actually increase the effectiveness of police investigations by adding more criminals to the federal CODIS database and testing DNA evidence in a higher proportion of crimes," noted Mark Stolorow, executive director of Orchid Cellmark. "In the U.K., where the DNA database includes all convicted offenders and many arrestees, almost 50 percent of crime scene evidence samples produce a database 'cold hit,' thereby identifying the perpetrator.

We look forward to working with criminal justice organizations throughout the country to help unlock the power of DNA analysis to further improve the effectiveness and equity of our criminal justice system."

About the Justice for All Act of 2004

The Justice for All Act of 2004, or H.R.5107, passed the U.S. Senate by unanimous consent on October 9, 2004 after passing the House on a similar vote earlier that week. The bill was signed into law by the President on October 30, 2004. This omnibus legislation enhances the rights and protections for all persons involved in the criminal justice system through two different, but complementary, mechanisms: (1) a new set of statutory victims' rights that are both enforceable in a court of law and supported by fully-funded victims' assistance programs; and (2) a comprehensive DNA bill that seeks to ensure that the true offender is caught and convicted for the crime. This critical legislation will provide much-needed funds to reduce the backlog of cases for which there is untested DNA evidence, provide funding for victims' services through grants to prosecutor and defender offices, and ensure access to post- conviction DNA testing for those who may be in prison or on death row for crimes they did not commit. The bill:

Enacts the Debbie Smith Backlog Grant Program, authorizing $755 million to test the backlog of over 300,000 rape kits and other crime scene evidence awaiting analysis in our nation's police departments, to test offender DNA samples, and to improve the capacity of crime labs to conduct DNA analysis;
    Enacts the DNA Sexual Assault Justice Act and the Rape Kits and DNA Evidence Backlog Elimination Act, authorizing more than $500 million for programs to reduce non-DNA backlogs, train examiners, support sexual assault forensic examiner programs, and promote the use of DNA to identify missing persons; and Includes the Innocence Protection Act, which: -- Creates the Kirk Bloodsworth Post-Conviction DNA Testing Program and
    authorizes $25 million over five years to help states pay the costs

of post-conviction DNA testing; and

Authorizes grants to states for Capital Prosecution and Capital Defense Improvement, which will be used to train, oversee, and improve the quality of death penalty trials, as well as assist families of murder victims.
    More information about the Justice for All Act of 2004, or bill H.R.5107, can be found on the Library of Congress website at http://thomas.loc.gov/.

About Orchid Cellmark

Under the Cellmark brand, Orchid has been a leader in private forensic DNA analysis since 1987 and is now one of the largest private DNA forensic testing providers in the world. Orchid has an international network of forensic testing laboratories in the U.S. and U.K., where it works with the famed "Scotland Yard" and others. The company provides a full range of high quality, customized forensic DNA testing and consultative services for both prosecutors and defendants. Its services include DNA testing for criminal casework analysis and expert testimony, as well as identification of victims of accidents and disasters. Last year the company launched DNA Express(TM), a premium service to help U.S. local law enforcement agencies analyze backlogs of DNA evidence from unsolved crimes in five business days, as compared to the standard one-to-two months. More information on Orchid's U.S. forensic DNA testing services can be found at http://www.orchidcellmark.com.

About Orchid BioSciences, Inc.

Orchid BioSciences is a leading provider of identity genetics services for the forensic and paternity DNA testing markets and for public health and animal DNA testing for food safety. Orchid's strong market positions in these segments leverage the Company's accredited laboratories in the U.S. and U.K., its innovative genetic analysis technologies and expertise, and the world- renowned Cellmark and GeneScreen brands that have been associated with exceptional quality, reliability, innovation and customer service for nearly two decades. More information on Orchid can be found at http://www.orchid.com.

All statements in this press release that are not historical are forward- looking statements within the meaning of Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding: the expected increase in DNA testing services resulting from a landmark new law; the expected infusion of more than $1 billion in federal funds over the next five years authorized by the Justice for All Act; the expectation that Orchid is well-positioned to assist in providing the expected increase in DNA testing services; the expected increase in effectiveness of police investigations, by adding more criminals to the federal CODIS database and testing DNA evidence in a higher proportion of crimes, and Orchid's anticipation in continuing to work with criminal justice organizations. Such statements are subject to the risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected, including, but not limited to, uncertainties relating to technologies, product development, manufacturing, market acceptance, cost and pricing of Orchid products and services, dependence on collaborations and partners, regulatory approvals, competition, intellectual property of others, patent protection, litigation and Orchid's ability to obtain additional financing. These risks and other additional factors affecting Orchid's business are discussed under the headings "Risks Related to Our Business," "Risks Related to the Biotechnology Industry" and "Risks Associated with Our Common Stock" in Orchid's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2003, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other filings made by Orchid with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time. Orchid expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to any forward-looking statements contained herein to reflect any change in Orchid's expectations with regard thereto or any change in events, conditions, or circumstances on which any such statements are based, except as may be required by law.

Source: Orchid BioSciences, Inc.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041102/phtu021_1.html

"One of the more significant aspects of the Justice for All Act is that the elimination of DNA backlogs and wider use of DNA forensic testing will actually increase the effectiveness of police investigations by adding more criminals to the federal CODIS database and testing DNA evidence in a higher proportion of crimes," noted Mark Stolorow, executive director of Orchid Cellmark. "In the U.K., where the DNA database includes all convicted offenders and many arrestees, almost 50 percent of crime scene evidence samples produce a database 'cold hit,' thereby identifying the perpetrator
    Little, With such a backlog of DNA , and more criminals being added to the CODIS database, I wonder why Science labs in the universities couldn't look after their own criminals in their own State? Wouldn't this help to reduce the backlog?

Thank you for posting this.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

No DNA pointing to a suspect - No apparent motive.
    The point being, lack of, or presence of DNA, doesn't mean that there can not be charges brought against the most likely person/s to have committed the crime. It's not the be all, end all.

Stella's column
    November 9, 2004

BY STELLA FOSTER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

THE SCOOP: "COURT TV" producers are in town doing research on the Riley Fox murder case for upcoming trial coverage. Riley is the 3-year-old Wilmington girl found murdered last June whose father, Kevin Fox, has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder and predatory sexual assault. The father is now alleging he was coerced into confessing the crime.

Fox's family has hired criminal attorney Kathleen Zellner and local private investigator Ernie Rizzo to assist on the Fox defense team. Insiders are saying this case has all the earmarks of the JonBenet Ramsey and Laci Peterson cases, where there was no apparent motive or DNA pointing to a suspect.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/foste...-stella09.html

Quote Originally Posted by Little
    No DNA pointing to a suspect - No apparent motive.
    The point being, lack of, or presence of DNA, doesn't mean that there can not be charges brought against the most likely person/s to have committed the crime. It's not the be all, end all.
    I agree with you, Little. The Ramseys seem to feel very secure about not being charged relating to their DNA not matching. I think something else will get them in the end.
    Just my opinion.

Yeah, it'll get them in the END, all right...the HIND end.

It's all just my opinion. They're like noses-everybody has one.

"Personally, I think lawyers who immerse themselves in themselves are disturbed individuals who need to get a life, and are to be both prayed for and pitied." -quote from The HyperScrubulator, May 25th 2004

You bet, Just Chillun!
    Just my opinion.

Exclamation Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Little
    It's not all that puzzling, I suppose, that the RST tries to hang their hat on the DNA, however, the only way to make this a DNA case is for them to sell this as an intruder. Unidentified DNA does not an intruder make.

Little

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but I am not new to the Ramsey case.

Unidentified DNA does yell out intruder! It was inside her panties for crying out loud. I just don't understand how foreign DNA could end up in her panties... Unless she accidently grabbed a pair of one of her friends at a sleepover party and never returned them and just happened to be wearing those same panties the night of her death. I understand that there are some questions about the value of those DNA samples, but still there is just something that isn't right about this case. Does anyone else have a theory about how the DNA got there???

I believe that if the Ramseys are responsible for JonBenet's death that it was an accident that turned into a massive cover-up. I do not believe that it was premeditated. And in the event that it was an intruder I believe the inturder was hiding the house when the Ramseys came home and that the ransom note was already written by the time the Ramseys walked in the door. The ransom note indicates to me one of two things. I desperate parent trying to cover up the death of their child or an intruder with a plan to take JonBenet. In other words plan A was to take her out of that house, but obviously something went wrong. She must have struggled. And if the marks on her body were marks from a stun gun then that further proves that she gave him a run for his money... Because he had to use it on her more than once.

I am just trying to keep an open mind, and look at this case from every possible angle.
    Lora

"Shoes, shoes, the victims shoes, who is going to stand in the victims shoes? -Lou Smit

No evidence of a stun gun.

No evidence of an intruder

DNA may not help Ramsey inquiry
    Samples found on JonBenet's clothing may be from factory
    By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
    November 19, 2002

Investigators in the JonBenet Ramsey case believe that male DNA recovered from the slain child's underwear may not be critical evidence at all, and instead could have been left at the time of the clothing's manufacture.

In exploring that theory, investigators obtained unopened "control" samples of identical underwear manufactured at the same plant in Southeast Asia, tested them - and found human DNA in some of those new, unused panties.

If investigators are right about possible production-line contamination - perhaps stemming from something as innocent as a worker's cough - then the genetic markers obtained from JonBenet's underpants are of absolutely no value in potentially excluding any suspects in the unsolved Boulder slaying.
    And, investigators know the DNA found in the underwear - white, with red rose buds and the word "Wednesday" inscribed on the elastic waist band - was not left by seminal fluid.

"There is always a possibility that it got there through human handling," said former prosecutor Michael Kane, who ran the 13-month grand jury investigation which yielded no indictments in the case, now almost six years old. end quote source: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...554639,00.html
    I prefer this quote from Lou- this one at least makes some sense:
    If it's not the Ramseys, then it's an intruder. If there is no intruder, then it has to be the Ramseys. - Lou Smit

Default hmmm

What makes you think a stun gun was used on her? The post mortem pictures that show small marks on her have been studied and compared. The marks don't match any stun gun. At least that is what the stun gun manufacturers have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora13
    Hi all, I am new to this forum, but I am not new to the Ramsey case.

Unidentified DNA does yell out intruder! It was inside her panties for crying out loud. I just don't understand how foreign DNA could end up in her panties... Unless she accidently grabbed a pair of one of her friends at a sleepover party and never returned them and just happened to be wearing those same panties the night of her death. I understand that there are some questions about the value of those DNA samples, but still there is just something that isn't right about this case. Does anyone else have a theory about how the DNA got there???
    Lora, the same unidentified DNA was also found in new packets of underwear from the same manufacturer, and belongs to those who packaged the underwear. The police have quite a job on their hands singling out the actual Plant worker who may have sneezed over them as they were placing them in the packet.

Charlie Brennan is right when he states If investigators are right about possible production-line contamination - perhaps stemming from something as innocent as a worker's cough - then the genetic markers obtained from JonBenet's underpants are of absolutely no value in potentially excluding any suspects in the unsolved Boulder slaying.

Lin Wood keeps plugging away at this unidentified DNA as being that of an intruder. All the evidence points to the Ramseys.

I believe that if the Ramseys are responsible for JonBenet's death that it was an accident that turned into a massive cover-up. I do not believe that it was premeditated. I am just trying to keep an open mind, and look at this case from every possible angle.
    I don't think it was premeditated either.
    Just my opinion.