Shaken Baby Syndrome

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by "J_R", Aug 29, 2004.

1. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Dr. Meyer further referenced another brain injury: small contusions on the tips of the temporal lobes. The temporal lobes are located behind the temples on the side of the head; bruising of them can occur from being shaken. The brain literally slides slightly inside the skull and bangs up against the bone, creating bruises. I believed that that was more likely than some external injury in that area of the head because the report didn't describe any such over-lying external trauma. Mortal Evidence by Cyril Wecht, MD., J.D. and Craig Saitz with Mark Curriden P57;pp1

In fact, the shaking fit quite nicely with my theory that JonBenét's assailant didn't intend for her to die. P57;pp2

2. Freespirit

Freespirit Member

Lee talks about it in his book, but only that they were present - doesn't give an opinion about how the bruised temporal lobes occured.

I've always felt that this was a major (though little discussed) aspect of how the crime was committed.

Did Someone shake JonBenet pretty hard? Why? To try to bring her back?

Or did this bruising occur when the head blow was delivered? It could have caused her brain to strike both sides due to the force?

What do you think, JR?

3. Little

Little Member

Wow JR, just when I think everything that could be discussed about this case has been, I realize there's still much more. Thank you for bringing this up. I had never heard of this being discussed before.

Freespirit wrote:
    Great question.

Little

4. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

It's difficult to know what occurred and when it occurred sequentially in this case but Wecht states, "I had no trouble believing whoever controlled the noose shook JonBenét in a desperate attempt to get her to regain consciousness." (P57:pp2) This follows the theory by many that the noose or garrote was connected to an autoerotic asphyxiation by proxy. It makes sense to me that someone could have shaken JonBenét if this type of game was being played and it went to far. Let's say she lost consciousness or even went into a convulsion, a scary site when one isn't use to seeing such things but then an angry, tired, out of control mother having to deal with yet another wet bed might also shake a child that hard while scolding her so... JMH&CPO

Wecht believes the skull fracture came second to the strangulation, which is something I have always believed based on the limited bleeding found in JonBenét's brain (upon autopsy) and as confirmed once again by Doctor Wecht's review of the autopsy and his discussion of the limited amount of brain swelling found as well.

Good questions Freespirit. Do you or Little have an opinion?

The two new books, Mortal Evidence by Cyril Wecht, MD., J.D. and Craig Saitz with Mark Curriden and Cracking More Cases by Dr. Henry C. Lee with Thomas W. O' Neil have cleared up some details for me but brought up new questions in my mind at the same time.

5. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

Where was the skull fracture positioned with regards to the temporal lobe injuries? One would think that they would be on opposite sides of each other, in a straight line, due to the continuum of force. One would also assume that a depressed skull fracture would absorb a decent amount of the shock of an impact, sort of like hammering a nail into a board which is positioned atop a pillow...or mayber like depressing the shell of a hard boiled egg with your thumb. The skull is like the board, and the brain is quite soft (smushy) in texture by comparison. It should be here noted, however, that the brain is still firm enough to remain intact in its shape, and be resistent to suctioning or to "walking" out of its position, barring trauma which could change the integrity of its tissues within all or part of said brain.

Grody subject matter.

:leaf:

6. messiecake

messiecake Member

My "favorite" theory is JBR was grabbed by the upper arms/shoulders and shaken while in the bathroom and her head fell back on the counter/sink edge.

I sustained a severe head injury as child while being shaken and the shaking was so forceful it caused my head to get thrown back into a wood bookcase and I literally "cracked" my skull (this was caused my Father's then wife when I was 6 years old) so it's intirely plausible this couldve happened to JBR .

I can also however imagine someone,in a panic,having shaken her in an attempt to rouse/awaken her after she had possible passed out.

7. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

I think it's obvious JonBenet was shaken in addition to the skull fracture, strangulation and so on.

I think too JonBenet was 'shaken' in an attempt to revive her. I also wonder if she could have gone into convulsions or seizures and received some of the abrasions then.

8. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

coup-contre coup

I thought maybe the temporal lobe bruising was coup - contre coup bruising which does occur in shaken baby syndrome or as the brain slides away from the huge bang on her head, hits the other side of the skull and rebounds, hitting the opposite side.

Also, there is some finger shaped bruising on the deltoid - pectoral groove which may indicate someone grabbing her from behind. This would fit in with what someone said about her being shaken.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice