Check in thread for posters in hurricane's path

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

We have many FFJ members who are in the path of hurricane Frances.

I would ask that those of you check in on this thread or try and let someone know you are ok so they can post it for you.

I spoke with River Rat last night. She said she is ok. She is ready to go if the hurricane changes paths like it did last time. To say that everyone in her area is stressed out is an understatement.

She asked all of us to pray for the people in the path of the hurricane. I think it's safe to say we are and will continue to do so.

Check in. Let us know you are ok.

Thanks.
    Tricia

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

RR checked in on the daily this morning. She is okay, but she is not okay. How could she be?

3. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Just Checking In For Zoon....

:rain: I don't know how long it will be before this hurricane starts blowing and dropping moisture, but it must surely be a stressful time for RR, Easywriter, Zoon, and all of the others in the path or possible path of this monster, Frances!

I posted yesteday on the hurricane thread that WY started, that Zoon had called me and is safe with a friend in a small town calle Lecanto, Fl on the west coast of Fl in Citrus County, about 1 1/2 hrs. NW of Orlando....She brought her puli pups with her, but had to leave her birds in a, hopefully, secure kennel in Melbourne...

She was cautiously optimistic that she had made the right choice of places to ride out the storm....She made it based on the meteorlogical information she had at the time, and started out early enough (leaving at 12:30 AM on Thrusday morning to beat the crush of traffic headed north)....

Looking at Moab's latest posting of the now anticipated route of the hurricane, I don't know if she made the right decision or not....I am terribly worried for her....both for her and her pets personal safety and for that of her new retirement home in Melbourne which she has so lovingly done much new work to the house and to her landscaping.....no doubt that huge storm will inflict some of it's weather system on both the area in which she lived and on that where she has sought refuge....

The waiting and anticipation for Zoon, RR, Easy and all of those in Fl and the southern and coastal states surrounding must just be horrific! Maybe especially for RR who has already known the fear of facing down such a storm....Szundi said to me yesterday on the phone, "I might just be the next River Rat...", Speaking of course of RR's and her family's and town's tragedies and losses during Charley only a few short weeks ago....

I got an e-mail this morning with her contact information....The name of the woman with whom she is staying and the information that her home telephone # is transferring her calls to her cell phone, at least for now...So I feel that we at least have a way to start checking up on her after the storm has passed, if we do not hear from her....

This is such a bad feeling, just knowing that that monster storm is whirling its way toward all those innocent people and there is nothing that we can do but wait to help with the aftermath....

Thanks Moab, for bringing us the latest...will also get on that site that WY gave us and click onto their breaking news to see if anything has happened in the last few hours...

Lighting a candle for all of our loved ones waiting out the storm...
    Voyager

PS I told Szundi that several of you had expressed concern for her and I think that she was touched that there were those here who still knew and cared about her....Just as I am sure RR was touched by the caring extended to her from a number of those who post at Purgatory....Just say'in.....

4. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

You know what :(:(:(:(es me off - our President is out campaigning again today. He asked for prayers for those in the storm's path today, - but days ago when he knew Frances was headed directly toward us, did he ask for prayers that the storm turn away from US? No, he did not. And he has a plan to build some sort of safe new world. Get outta here. Well, I wish I could say I feel so much better for venting. I do not.

5. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Hi, All,

There is some good news and some bad news, but the good news is
    better than the bad news is bad. The hurricane has weakened, but
    is still strong. Highest winds are now at app. 120 mph down from
    145 with the eye presently gone. It may (expected) pick up some
    steam over open water before it hits land.

The bad news is that it has slowed down to about nine mph and
    will slow to five when it hits land which is expected sometime
    tomorrow. This means a long siege of wind and rain since
    the storm is so large. Ten to 20 inches of water will be dumped
    in places already saturated. I’m on high ground, so this will
    not affect me directly.

Although still no certainty, the predicted path now is crossing
    the state in a north, northwest direction; meaning, it will be
    some northeast of Sebring and some southwest of Orlando. Charley
    was on the other side meaning the winds come from a different
    direction. At this point, I expect the winds to be about the same
    as the last, or maybe a little less, but with a whole lot more
    water for a whole lot longer time.

It’s a pretty good bet the power will be out, but when and for
    how long no one can say. I’m a bit better prepared food wise. I
    have frozen gallon jugs of water with the intent to make an old
    fashioned ice box out of my refrigerator. I think I can hold safe
    temperatures for three or four days with the ice and covering the
    refrigerator with a blanket.

I’m the last in the neighborhood still on a well system with an
    electric submersible pump. So, when the electricity goes, so does
    my pump. I get around this by closing off the well and hooking up
    to a neighbor’s city water supply using hoses between the houses.
    There was no water problem with the city system in this area
    during the last hurricane.

I’m glad for RR that’s she won’t get the brunt of this one.
    They’ve had enough in that area.

P.S. Sure glad I got my new shed and stuff put away. Lumber,
    buckets, tools, etc, laying on my patio in front of glass doors
    is not something I want to see during a hurricane. :) Oh yes, the
    shed is anchored on all four corners and supposed to withstand
    wind up to 146 mph.

6. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Easy....

Glad that you are more prepared this time and that you will probably not be in the direct path....but that amount of rain surely sounds dangerous to all concerned....Guess you learned your lessons well on the first time around and that your shed will not be going anywhere any time soon! LOL....

Hey Easy, what do you think about Szundi's chosen location for waiting out the storm on the west coast in Citrus county northwest of Orlando about 1 1/2 hrs?

Voyager

7. cherub

cherub Member

prayers for everyones safety

:heart: be safe.

8. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Prayers for all.

9. EasyWriter

10. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

My prayers for you posters in the path....My God send his angels to cover you in the storm.

The good news is how prepared everyone is...Red Cross, Emergency personnel, Government...and so on.

The Nations are with you posters!

11. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

How's the Weather?!

Where's all my experts? Driver?! This storm has more than me confused, is it coming, going, growing, slowing?!

Voyager - thank you for the report on Szundi. That Lady never hesitated to step up to the plate and offer assistance to my family and it really upsets me to see that her newly found paradise is next in line.........no one needs to be the next RR, Trust Me on that on.

Delmar - hang on Honey, it's gonna be another bumpy ride.

I love you all-
    RR

12. EasyWriter

RiverrRat

“How's the Weather?!
    Where's all my experts? Driver?! This storm has more than me
    confused, is it coming, going, growing, slowing?!â€

Yes, it’s guesswork central.

“Delmar - hang on Honey, it's gonna be another bumpy ride.â€

Thanks. Will do. Bumpy? That’s what I hear. :) The most recent
    TV weather report said that Highlands, Hardee, Polk and a few
    other close counties are going to get the worst of it.

Although the center is still 120 miles out, we are now getting
    some rain from the outer bands coming from the north northwest,
    but don’t expect the main event until sometime Sunday; and as
    slow as it’s moving, it’s going to be a long show. This is one
    big storm.

I’ve done about all I can do to prepare. I have about 30 lbs of
    ice ready and hooked up to my emergency water supply via a
    neighbor. I have a couple of candles and a couple of flashlights.
    That was enough before, so guess it will be again.

I’ll post updates as circumstance allows.

RR, glad you’re going to miss most of this one. Charley was more
    than enough to last a while. I lost a tool shed, but that’s
    nothing compared to what many went through.

13. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

You aren't coming to Texas then, RiverRat. I am glad for any news you and Easywriter post.

Yall take care. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

14. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Path as of this morning at 11 Eastern time...looks like it may go across to the gulf and then up...

Attached Files:

15. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Prayers and Positive Thoughts

to all of you in harm.

What's up with this? It's just waiting.

I love you Rat.

16. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Go Away Monster,

My thoughts and prayers to all of you in harms way of this monster storm. RR, I too wonder what is going on. I've been glued to the weather channel watching this storm. It is so slow moving right now. That is not good news for those who are in the middle of it because it stays too long. I've heard the "eye" is now gone. I'm not sure what that means.

Voyager I was so happy to hear about Szundi. I've not forgotten her from the old JW days. I'm sorry to hear that she might be in the path of the storm. Please remember me to her when you next contact her. I always appreciated her points of view on the JBR case.

Bee safe everyone.

17. EasyWriter

Frances is not just fickle. It's crazy. Now, it has stopped with the west edge of the eye about 30 miles east of West Palm Beach. Rain I expected here an hour or so ago, still shows the same location on the map. There is considerable guessing as to if and when the storm will move again. Some say soon. Others say it might sit there for 24 hours. Nothing to do, but wait and see.

18. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Easy....

Let's just hope that all of the prayers and the positive energy being sent by people all over the country, are strong enough to stop and destroy a hurricane in it's tracks! Anyway we are still with you guys....hanging near the computer and the TV this afternoon accessing the latest reports and getting on my knees ever once in a while!

The wait for all of you must be absolute agony....
    Voyager

PS Zoom, I surely will convey your greetings to Szundi when I talk to her next....she loved Florida....Don't know how she will feel about it after this storm, but as she left Melbourne the other night to the west coast area, she was already talking about "When I rebuild my house".....She is a strong woman, I know she will survive this....

19. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Touchdown minus 6 hours...path is still changing...

Attached Files:

20. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Fickle Frances

Thanks for the updates, Moab. I don't like what I see. The winds may not be as strong as the last one, but this is a slow-mover, and they deposit enormous amounts of rain.

I hope all our posters are on high ground. With small trees. And lots of provisions.

Thinking of you all, Easy Writer, River Rat, and of Szundi and her Puli dogs, and Greenie and others who may turn out to be in the erratic path of Frances.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice