Boulder DA race

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JC, Sep 14, 2004.

1. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Boulder DA Keenan To Face Write-In Challenger

September 13, 2004 4:23 pm US/Mountain

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan will face a GOP challenger in November, county elections officials said Monday.
    Defense attorney Jason Savela has qualified as a write-in candidate, the county elections staff said. Savela has criticized Keenan, a Democrat, for saying women were raped at parties for University of Colorado football recruits, even though no one has been charged.

Savela, a former Democrat, has practiced law in Boulder for four years after previous work for the public defender's office in El Paso and Adams counties.

In a sworn deposition as part of a civil lawsuit filed against the school, Keenan accused the program of using sex as a "bartering tool" to lure football recruits. The comments, which she said she never thought would be made public, thrust her and the school into the national spotlight.

In 2000, Keenan earned 56.4 percent of the vote to win the seat DA Alex Hunter gave up after 28 years. She vowed to try to bring justice to the unsolved 1996 slaying of JonBenet Ramsey; she later publicly agreed with the ruling of a judge in a civil suit connected with the case that an intruder most likely killed 6-year-old JonBenet.

(© 2004 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved)

http://news4colorado.com/campaign2004/local_story_257182449.html

2. Ginja

Ginja Member

Very difficult

It will be very difficult to get a Republican/conservative elected to office in the liberal Republic of Boulder...that Savela is a write-in makes it almost impossible.

I thought I heard that a conservative was running for another office in the area, but I didn't catch the whole story...I don't know if the office was governor or attorney general. Who can help me out here?

I believe that if GOPers were put into office, we could revive the Ramsey murder case. But like I said, we're dealing with the outrageously liberal Republic of Boulder, so getting Republicans into office -- conservatives who would act -- is almost impossible.

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Ha. Of course she says that. She can't admit otherwise, and that the so-called "investigation" is merely a sham to keep Lin Wood from suing the city of Boulder. The BPD had the case for six years, Mary Keenan has had it for two more, and there are still NO viable suspects other than the suit-happy Ramseys "who must not be named."

There's more activity going on my cat's litter box than there is with the JBR case at the DA's office. You can't make up an intruder out of whole cloth, though goodness knows they've tried.

"Keenan said she has never discussed the JonBenet case with the media, national or local.

"'It's still being actively investigated by our office . . . We don't talk about any pending investigation,' she said, echoing the response she gives to all questions about the case."

5. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Savela

"Savela said he would sharply limit comments to the media about pending cases. When the public needs to be informed, he said, he would prefer to post messages on the Internet."

6. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I'm not sure I see any difference in the two. Actually, they both sort of sound like Lin Wood to me - it's no one's business.

7. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Have the candidates seen the petition?

We are working down here, rather late, to get two petitions full of voters names into the hands of several candidates before elections hoping some elected official will hear and represent our small voices.

8. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I don't guess Savela even has the proverbial snowball's chance in hell.

9. Elle

Elle Member

This statement, I like, Cherokee!
    There's more activity going on my cat's litter box than there is with the JBR case at the DA's office. You can't make up an intruder out of whole cloth, though goodness knows they've tried.

Can I also play around with it a little bit (?) ... and say...You can't make up an intruder out of a piece of cloth which is perforated with holes.

10. Elle

Elle Member

Deja will be so disappointed, as the rest of us here, if young Jason Savela isn't elected. She was a strong supporter of this young fellow. Of course, being in Canada, I'm not up-to-date with all of your politics, but I do have the Buffalo news on every day, and do my best.

I know if I lived in Boulder, I wouldn't want a District Attorney as weak as D.A. Mary Keenan who just nods her head and goes along with what keeps her sitting in the D.A's chair.

I miss your wonderful posts on the board, Deja.

11. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I miss them too. I know how disappointing it is to support a candidate and see them lose. I've heard it said one doesn't have a right to complain if one doesn't vote, not that I believe that, but I as I did vote, I think I have a right, nay responsibility, to :(:(:(:(:( with all due righteousness when the spirit moves me.

12. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I urge you all to vote for Sonny Bono. oh wait...

13. Elle

Elle Member

I'm getting to know you better, Bob! :)

Good for you, voting JC. At least you know you tried to get your own man in.
    I suppose someone will post the results. Sorry I was of no help up here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice