Rocky Mt. News - Release JBR Records

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion/article/0,1299,DRMN_38_3271645,00.html

Boulder DA should agree to Fox request
    A worthy request for records in Jon Benet case

October 22, 2004

We come, with some trepidation, to the defense of the lawyers at Fox News.

No, not the hapless gang charged with defending Bill O'Reilly in his dispute with associate producer Andrea Mackris. If the quotes she attributes to him in her sexual harassment suit are on tape, they have nowhere to crawl but the settlement table.

We're talking about the attorneys defending the network against defamation charges filed by the family of JonBenet Ramsey, the Boulder child killed almost eight years ago. The family sued Fox News last year over a 2002 broadcast in which reporter Carol McKinley said there has "never been any evidence to link an intruder to her brutal murder."

In order to defend the network, lawyers are trying to subpoena records from the Boulder district attorney's office, which is in charge of the investigation. Boulder DA Mary Keenan has moved to quash the subpoenas and a federal judge is mulling the issue.

Fox has an uphill road. The usual rule, says law professor Christopher Mueller of the University of Colorado, is that prosecutors are entitled to keep their work product secret "to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigations." When the investigation is finished and the case is closed, the justification "diminishes sharply."

Of course this case isn't closed, but the real question is, just how "ongoing" is it?

Keenan is on record as saying she believes the evidence points to an intruder, not a member of the family. This newspaper has reported that her prime suspect was a man who played Santa Claus at the Ramsey home two nights before the Christmas 1996 slaying. He later moved away and has since died.

But belief isn't evidence. If Keenan has reached a dead end, she should be happy to turn over at least some records to an interested party in hopes of having fresh eyes on the case. True, Fox News is more or less considered the devil by liberals everywhere, especially in Boulder, but sometimes truth comes from the most unexpected sources.

If Keenan won't volunteer the information, we hope the judge will exercise his discretion and find that the investigation is basically moribund. He could then require the DA to explain why each record she wants to withhold should be kept secret.

2. Watching You

What a novel idea (not) - "If Keenan has reached a dead end, she should be happy to turn over at least some records to an interested party in hopes of having fresh eyes on the case."

Isn't that what FFJ has been saying? Isn't that what FFJ's petition was all about? Lawd, could it be that someone in Colorado is thinking the same thing - finally?

Karma's a funny thing. It may not get you right away, but it will get you. I hope the judge has more on the ball than Carnes did.

3. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Egads someone in Boulder has the cajones to challenge Keenan! Allrriigghhhttt Rocky Mountain News!

I was beginning to believe everyone in Boulder expected Keenan was to busy defending her DUI children,time and time again, to put more than a trifle of effort into the JonBenet murder case.

Fox....go for it!!!! Take it to the Supreme Court if neccessary!

WY I appreciate your posting the article...by the way you ACR, Dejanu and Tricia really rock with the Linda Arndt project.

4. Watching You

DejaNu and ACR and Tricia do all the work. I just supervise. Ha.

5. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I admire Rocky Mountain News for taking this position. :yay:

6. Watching You

Keenan will fight this with everything she's got, because she cannot allow those records to fall into outsider's hands. The coverup has to continue at all costs, especially to protect her own dead as$.

7. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I was speaking with someone I respect the other day. Someone who supports Keenan.

To be honest? I just don't get it.

Let's look at the big picture.

Keenan has been a Santa did it person for quite some time. It was pointed out to me that since Keenan has the whole case file now she must have changed her mind and realized it wasn't Santa Bill.

That's just fantasy. If the whole flipping world can easily see what is going on in the Ramsey case then surely one of Hunter's top lawyers should have been able to see it before having the whole case file.

Isn't that file rather large? Keenan would have to read it day and night to get caught up. What is in the file that is the big smoking gun that points to an intruder? Nothing. I bet there is more that points to the Ramseys than anything.

How about Keenan's comment, "I agree with the judge, the evidence points to an intruder." It has been said Keenan said this at the direction of Lin Wood to avoid a lawsuit.

What kind of pansy a$$ D.A. is that? Why not roll up your sleeves and let Wood sue. Get to the truth instead of rolling over like Wood's little lap puppy.

How anyone can say Keenan is right for the job is beyond me.

IF, and it's a big IF, there is anything going on in the case it has nothing to do with finding out the truth.

The only thing we know so far is Ollie Gray, someone who helped Keenan when she took over the case, has participated in a documentary that names an innocent man, a man who has been cleared, as the killer of JBR.

That's the type of D.A. Keenan is. A lap dog that cowers and pees in the corner and the mention of Lin Wood and jumps up and performs tricks at the mention of an Intruder. So much so that Keenan, when the D.A.'s office was alerted to the fact that one of her investigators had named an innocent man, did nothing. NOTHING. An innocent man.

I have to give an incredible amount of thanks to Tom Bennett. Keenan investigator. A truly good person who did the right thing. I have heard nothing but good about him. I am certain he is in an uncomfortable position because he dared to speak the truth.

Keenan is where the buck stops. Stops being the key word. The whole case has stopped.

Say what you will about Fox but they might be just the ones to do the right thing in this case.

If Keenan has any courage she will turn the case file over. She will take back her statement that "men are not in a position to judge Patsy Ramsey." And her statement about the judge.

For God's sake Mary. For once do the right thing. Haven't enough innocent people been hurt by your lack of courage long enough?

8. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Good Summation....

Good summation on this issue Tricia....

I question why the secrecy issue on an ongoing investigation by the DA was not in force when Alex Hunter was in charge of the Ramsey case and let Lou Smit walk out of the prosecutors office as a private citizen with all sorts of private files and information which he has used as he has seen fit, both publicly and privately over the past 5 or more years....

I am wondering if the case of Lou Smidt's possession and use of Ramsey case files could be used as some sort of legal precedent for allowing Fox to obtain the case files it needs to defend itself in the very important law suit....

And I agree with Tricia....the case investigation does not appear to be ongoing in any way that would be effected by Fox's use of the case files....The only recent suspects who would be alerted by released information from those files have either been cleared or are dead....

Voyager

9. Watching You

Well, not only Smit, Voyager. Tracey has put out a documentary with what is claimed to be inside information on the case while the case was in Keenan's control. Where did that bunch of crap come from? I think the FOX lawyers have a legitimate beef if Keenan tries to say the case files are confidential in an ongoing case when Tracey is allegedly getting inside information for his crock.

Doncha' think? MaryfreakingKeenan doesn't want those file opened to anyone she can't control, because she is going to look like the stupid fool she really is if they are released.

BTW, Wood's usually all over the networks running his big arrogant mouth. He's nowhere to be found these days. Maybe he's too busy changing his underwear since he's found out he's dealing with REAL lawyers who aren't going to lay down and play dead for him.

Go FOX!!

10. Elle

Elle Member

Great post Tricia! As Voyager said, you have summed it all up very accurately.

This is a great description of D.A. Mary Keenan. She is a lap dog!

Thank you WY for posting about the Rocky Mountain News backing Fox. This is the kind of news I like to read. I think you're right about the Karma part. It does catch up.

Now that Rocky Mountain News has come out with support for Fox, I hope there will be more Newspaper supporters to follow (?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice