Hybrid View

Default Logan Mitcheltree

We have a Christmas tragedy in our town. A little autistic boy has gone missing. He snuck out of his home on Saturday, about 4:30 p.m., and has been missing since. A massive search is underway--bloodhounds, helicopters, 1,000 volunteer searchers.

Dear God, spare this baby's life. FFJ'ers--Please Pray!!!

Freezing Temperatures Hindering Search For Lost South Williamsport Boy (Update)

(Williamsport) -- Officials say they will issue a news release this afternoon regarding the little lost boy in South Williamsport, Lycoming County. Nine year old autistic Logan Mitcheltree has been missing since late Saturday afternoon. While police and emergency personnel are meeting at this hour (1pm), they plan a news conference tonight at 7 p.m.

U S Attorney for the Middle District Tom Marino has been involved in the search and says he does not feel foul play is involved but does say "the prosecutor in me says to not discount anything." Meanwhile, it's a sunny afternoon in Williamsport but temperatures have not reached over 15 degrees for the last 24 hours -- many officials say it's now a recovery effort to find Logan Mitcheltree.

While divers were dispatched to the Susquehanna River that flows between Williamsport and South Williamsport this morning, frigid temperatures kept them from actually going into the waters -- instead they patroled the river, searching for Logan. (By Kathy Thomas)

Default Rest in Peace, Little Logan.

This is heartbreaking news:

********* UPDATE **************** Missing Autistic Boy Found Dead

(South Williamsport) -- South Williamsport police believe they have found the body of 9-year old Logan Mitcheltree -- the little boy missing from his home since Saturday. Police say in a news release that around 8:15 this morning the Bureau of Forestry personel found a child's body, believed to be Logan on Tiadaghton State Forest land by Skyline Drive approximately 2 miles from Route 554 in Armstrong Township.

Police Chief Rex Lowmiller says the child's death does not appear to be suspicious at this time. (By Kathy Thomas)

God Bless all the searchers, professional and volunteer, who searched for Logan throughout three frigid days and nights. Condolences to Logan's family, and to the whole community of South Williamsport.

Default Lurker

I have been following this story in the news also. In fact this morning I asked my brother how far away Williamsport was because I was considering driving down and helping search. But I barely had time to get the words about of my mouth when it scrolled across the screen that they were prettty sure they had found his body. So sad.

Default Hello, Harley.

Thanks for having that kind thought in your heart, to search for Logan. Hundreds of volunteers turned out, from the town, from the churches, from surrounding areas.

It is so tragic that it ends like this. The irony--Logan was found a few miles from the Little League Complex, where thousands of young boys have gathered over the years for the time of their life.

The bloodhounds had tracked him as far as the McDonald's on Route 15. He must have gone from there up onto the mountain. His family said he loved the woods up there.

The searchers spotted his orange backpack first. Logan took it with him everywhere he went.

He is at peace now, with his daddy, who died a short while ago.

May God be with his mother and sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerXIV
    Thanks for having that kind thought in your heart, to search for Logan. Hundreds of volunteers turned out, from the town, from the churches, from surrounding areas.

It is so tragic that it ends like this. The irony--Logan was found a few miles from the Little League Complex, where thousands of young boys have gathered over the years for the time of their life.

The bloodhounds had tracked him as far as the McDonald's on Route 15. He must have gone from there up onto the mountain. His family said he loved the woods up there.

The searchers spotted his orange backpack first. Logan took it with him everywhere he went.

He is at peace now, with his daddy, who died a short while ago.

May God be with his mother and sisters.
    I had another post-Prayers needed.Maybe Trish can merge these. My friend was out searching. I was so hoping that they would find him in a shed or hiding somewhere. I am so sad. It was horrible watching the helicopters.

Default Little Boy Lost

The Sad Story of Logan Mitcheltree

Lost boy's death ends hope for 'miracle'
    9-year-old's death ends searchers' hopes
    Wednesday, December 22, 2004
    BY MEGAN WALDE
    Of The Patriot-News
    SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT - The odds were not on Logan Mitcheltree's side.

He was an autistic child -- 9 years old -- braving the woods and the cold alone with nothing between him and rugged Bald Eagle Mountain but a long-sleeved shirt, a pair of slippers and the bright orange backpack with which he seldom parted.

Some 200 volunteers gathered at 1st Ward Fire Company yesterday morning to continue a search that began three days earlier, knowing they were hoping against the odds.

At 8:15 a.m., the word came down the mountain into a community not ready to give up: A forest service worker had found a body they believed was Logan's.

"I thought, 'Oh my God,'" volunteer firefighter Dustan Miller said. "All this work, and it's over like this."

Logan's body was found at the top of the mountain, not far off a gated forest-service road but more than a mile and a half up steep and rocky terrain from his home just outside South Williamsport.

A search for the boy began after his mother, Carol, reported him missing around 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

Residents formed search parties, checking yards, sheds and dog houses, under porches and inside Dumpsters, anywhere a child might seek shelter.

As temperatures dropped Sunday, the urgency to find Logan rose.

"You turned around and the woods were instantly filled with people," said Jean Hendershot, a waitress at the Mountaineer Lounge in town.

A search crew aboard a helicopter outfitted with heat-sensing equipment picked up blobs of bodies involved with the search.

"[It] showed every yard, every alley, every driveway just packed," said Rexford Lowmiller, South Williamsport police chief.

The news of Logan's death spread fast in South Williamsport, a town of 6,400 residents. Students at Logan's elementary school were given sealed letters to allow their parents to explain the situation at home. Students in grades seven through 12 were given letters, but also told of Logan's death.

Miller heard the news from a fellow bowling league member who had a cell phone call from a fellow volunteer firefighter.

Miller and his wife, Nancy, split their time during the weekend between the search effort and their four children at home.

The Millers focused on playgrounds, checking under slides and other play equipment, places Logan was known to favor when playing hide-and-seek.

"That was his favorite," Nancy Miller said. "He just loved it. We were hoping and praying we'd find him hiding somewhere, warm and safe."

Logan had left his house before to play at the base of the mountain, residents said, but he'd always been found within an hour. He was autistic and could utter sounds, but could not speak, police said.

Superintendent Tom Farr said Logan was well liked.

"He was very outgoing, friendly," Farr said.

Mark Dobson, who manages maintenance for an apartment complex near Logan's Main Street home, remembered a boy who liked to fish with some of the apartment residents in a pond at the community park.

"I think everybody here feels it a little bit," Dobson said.

Eighth-grader Sean O'Brien spent 30 hours Saturday and Sunday searching for Logan and said he still can't believe the outcome.

"I was wishing a miracle would happen," Sean said. "But I guess not this time."

"Kids are a big deal here, with it being home of Little League and everything," said Paul Pederson, a Williamsport resident working with Dobson for the day.

Lycoming County Coroner Charles Kiessling said there were no obvious signs of trauma on Logan's body. An autopsy was planned today. Lowmiller said the death did not appear suspicious, but state police were investigating.

Police will try to trace Logan's route, said Lt. James Murten. "There are so many paths he could have taken," he said.

The Mitcheltree family is planning a public memorial service tomorrow night.

Students in Logan's autistic class at Central Elementary School plan to celebrate his life today, Farr said. That was the idea of teacher Angela Reeder, who assisted with the weekend search.