Tom Bennett speaks out!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Dec 21, 2004.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Ramsey TV blitz rekindles interest
    Despite attention, police say case no closer to solution

By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
    December 21, 2004

It may seem like the JonBenet Ramsey case is close to being solved because of a weekend media blitz on the subject, but the man handling the investigation said there's been no breakthrough in the 8-year-old case.

Contrary to what was reported on a "48 Hours" special that aired Saturday night on CBS, DNA evidence found in JonBenet's underwear doesn't necessarily belong to the killer, Boulder County District Attorney's Office investigator Tom Bennett said Monday. The office took over the Ramsey case two years ago and entered the DNA evidence into a national database for the first time earlier this year.

The DNA on the underwear may be from the killer, but it may not be," Bennett said. "It's minute DNA, like from a cough or sneeze. ... You can't just jump to conclusion it's positive proof that will trace back to the killer."

Bennett — a retired police detective with more than 30 years on the job — said nobody from CBS or "48 Hours" contacted him about the special. Instead, private investigators once hired by the girl's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, offered their theories on the DNA and possible suspects.

"I would simply say this is dated news," Bennett said. "It is not indicative of any breakthrough because it's not a breakthrough."

Six-year-old JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in her parents' Boulder basement on Dec. 26, 1996. A grand jury investigation ended with no indictments, and no arrests have been made.

District Attorney Mary Keenan has kept silent about the case's progress since Boulder police handed over the investigation in December 2002. She said she expects news coverage of the unsolved case to ramp up every year around this time because of the anniversary of JonBenet's death.

"It's just natural it will be the topic of conversation," Keenan said. "We don't pay too much attention to it."

She didn't catch the "48 Hours" special, or a documentary by University of Colorado professor Michael Tracey that makes similar claims and aired in England six months ago.

But what Keenan's office can't ignore is the plethora of phone calls, faxes and letters typically sparked by the attention.

Bennett was hired in June 2003 solely to head the Ramsey investigation, but he was promoted to the office's lead investigator in January and now manages three other investigators and two volunteers working on other cases. The Ramsey case still occupies about a third of his work time, he said, but he guesses the next two weeks of his job will be nothing but Ramsey because of the rekindled interest.

"It opens an avenue of people who have an unusual interest in the case and are not mentally stable," Bennett said.

He has had some people call him more than 10 times a day for weeks to offer their opinion on who is guilty.

"Typically they're rambling, disjointed, meaningless statements," Bennett said. "I've never worked a case that generated this much interest long after the fact, or immediately after the fact."

Another resource drain is the numerous civil suits filed in connection with JonBenet's killing, Keenan said.

"That's the part that drives us crazy," Keenan said.

Evidence from the District Attorney's Office is subpoenaed in each of those cases, but Keenan said her office has to be careful about what it provides because the investigation is ongoing.

On Monday, a federal judge in Denver heard arguments on why one such case should be thrown out.

Fox News Network is being sued by the Ramseys over a story that aired Dec. 27, 2002, for the six-year anniversary of JonBenet's slaying. In the story, reporter Carol McKinley said there has "never been any evidence to link an intruder to her brutal murder."

Keenan said she'll wait and see if the judge sides with Fox and tosses the case, which would get her office off the hook to produce the paperwork.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Christine Reid at (303) 473-1355 or reidc@dailycamera.com.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Thanks, RR.

A few things -

1. Thank you, Tom Bennett, for having the cajones to speak up and tell the DNA the way it really is - miniscule - likely from a cough or a sneeze and also make it clear that the "investigators" cited in the report were Ramsey investigators, meaning the show was Ramsey-backed.

2. Will CBS, in fairness, report on Tom Bennett's statements about their misleading 48 Hours show?

3. Why couldn't Bennett have gone even further and make a statement about the other lies on the shows?

4. Bennett is indeed the head of the DA's investigating team, which is a good thing; however, he spends only about a third of the time working on the JBR case. I doubt seriously that much time is even spent - the case is going nowhere, and he admits it. There is nothing new in the case. Imagine that.

5. The civil cases drive Keenan "crazy." Of course they do. God forbid any outside source other than Ramsey lawyer Lin Wood ever get a look at those files. Keenan will fight to protect those files from outside eyes, because she knows all her stonewalling and biases will become known should a civil lawyer be given access to them, especially FOX lawyers who are bigger pit bulls than Wood ever thought of being.

6. I know I've never called the DA's office in Boulder for anything. Perhaps Bennett was referring to Susan Bennett and Mary McAuliffe. I do, however, still have a keen interest in living long enough to see JBR's killer and accomplice be prosecuted for their crimes. That kind of interest doesn't make anyone mentally ill. It makes us good citizens.

7. Go FOX.

3. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Oh My!

Poor man. I wonder who these code-six wingnuts are? Will he someday write his memoirs and tell us?

4. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

I want to send this lady, Christine Reid a fruit basket.

My guess is Bennett does not pay much attention to the fraud which is being perpetrated in the media. I do wish that Helgoth and the dance studio attack were addressed, but then again, they were addressed YEARS ago in the form of Boulder Police press releases which Little and DejaNu reposted here. The stun gun was hardly a mention in the 48 Hours show, but that is another myth which I wish Bennett would officially address.

I really think the "detectives" went a little too far with Tracey and 48 Hours, and I would hope that this will start an investigation into conflicts of interest and standards of conduct.

I have never called Tom Bennett either. There is only 1 person that I know of who would phone 10 times a day. I think we all know who that is.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

hmmmm....

Miss Mary Mac strikes again. That's okay - I want the DA's office to think that she represents all posters that have a hard time allowing paid for innocence paving the way for our future.

I think that it is un-natural NOT to be concerned with this homicide - especially if you are drawing a salary to do so, Mr. Bennett - but you can bet your last unearned nickle that I wouldn't waste mine to pick up the phone and tell you so.

You know that you are reading it right here anyhow. :hiya:
    Are we supposed to be shocked that one more person that could have made a difference didn't? Are we supposed to be shocked that Mary - as John Ramsey likes to call her - after dazzling us during the CSU Sex Scandal - has asked for a hefty raise for herself as opposed to asking for the money to fund your quest?

You just WISH that we were mentally unstable - sure would have made your job a lot easier as you sweep JonBenet under the rug.

Merry Christmas -
    RiverRat

6. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Anyone even remotely familiar with the facts of the case knows
    that the Dec. 18, 2004, 48 HOURS program was a song and dance
    around the facts inclusive of a tour guide around unsavory
    neighborhoods with a pretended connection. The program had no
    substance at all. What they did have was DNA as pretended
    substance. However, they went in knowing they were blowing smoke
    and would be caught in the act, therefore, went into the SYA
    mode.

“JonBenet: DNA Rules Out Parents†(Promo banner at CBS website)

“It has taken years to isolate, but forensic scientists in
    Colorado now have a complete DNA profile of the killer. They know
    the killer is a male. What they don't know is his name.†(From
    the 48 HOURS program)

They added on with: “Boulder police worked almost single-mindedly
    to try to prove they killed their daughter, JonBenet, but a grand
    jury failed to indict the Ramseys -– in large part because of one
    critical piece of evidence. It was the unexplained male DNA in
    JonBenet's underwear.†(ibid)

From this, DNA = killer, and since it doesn’t match the parents,
    the parents are exonerated by said DNA. The 48 HOUR folks knew
    this was a lie from the outset. So, to cover and provide an
    escape route, they later qualified the claim, but not in a banner
    headline.

"Investigators must be careful not to put all the weight in the
    investigation on the DNA because the DNA, as important as it is,
    could be misleading them, depending on who it matches or who it
    doesn't match," says LaBerge.†(ibid)

At this juncture, they quietly refute their earlier contentions
    about the value of the DNA. However, in a double back to the
    deception, they say:

“48 Hours has learned that investigators are now doing what they
    call a "grab and swab." Armed with a simple cotton swab, they are
    tracking down people of interest and demanding a DNA sample from
    the inside of their mouths.†(ibid)

Excuse me, but I am not aware of any change in the law that would
    allow this non permission, non warrant intrusion. 48 HOURS
    didn’t mention it. Can someone fill me in?

Can you imagine these lying hypocrites going about claiming a
    dedication to exposing fraud? Everything I said to O’Connell
    stands and is magnified.

Footnote: Isn’t it amazing that all the “evidence†of an
    intruder requires thesafety of “unknown?â€

7. she wounded

she wounded Member

I like it

Watching You, Your right WY, we are not wrong for wanting justice. Anyone that makes a statement that people are mentally ill, because they are concerned is a sick person.
    Sonds like Cass Co. TX type of crap.
    Start an investigation into conflicts of interest and of conduct. That should happen in that case and the many cases in Cass Co. TX. (cajones's)I like that!

8. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Good Lord, I don't know where to start.

First, I am thrilled Tom Bennett spoke out.

I am upset at his generalization of us as "mentally ill."

Bennett took my phone call and we had a nice conversation. I believe since June, since we found out about Tracey's crock, I have called him 5 times. He took my call once. It was all about Tracey's crock and his clearing of the "Prime Suspect."

I was under the impression he did talk to 48 Hours. Somebody did. Somebody told 48 Hours that the "Prime Suspect" was nothing of the sort.

9. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Tricia, take it from me - law enforcement uses the "mentally ill" liberally. I've heard my own daughter do it, and I've had to ask her what qualifies her to determine whether someone is mentally ill or not. She says she believes she is better qualified than the average person on the street - I say she is not. Any normal person can see when someone is really mentally ill. Of course, I realize that cops get sick of dealing with the public, because cops think they are the know all, end all of knowledge.

To me, when authorities make a statement such as this (we've seen Lin Wood make a similar statement), it's a defense mechanism. They don't want to be bothered with answering the tough questions; they don't want anyone making waves. They look at civilians with disdain, as if we are nothing but nuisances to them. Instead of answering the hard questions, they come out with this crap about people who are interested being mentally ill. That's not to say there aren't a lot of code 6 wingnuts out there who are bothering law enforcement, like jameson and Candy with their blather, but we all aren't like that. I have never and never will call anyone in Boulder regarding this case. But, that won't stop me from voicing my opinion on the corruption and stonewalling I've seen going on there.

If truth be known and a true psychological work up were done on the players in Boulder, starting with Mary Keenan, I think they would score much worse on the personality disorder tests than any of us would here. In the meantime, I'd like to see Tom Bennett's qualifications of judging mental illness in anyone. Degrees? Bachelors? Masters? Ph.D?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

10. Elle

Elle Member

I don't think Tom Bennett meant the posters on the net, Tricia. I think he was talking about the annoying people who phone him. If not! I'll sue him!:wood:

11. Tricia

LOL Elle, I have called him before. He took my call. I did several follow up calls concerning the "Prime Suspect" crap from Tracey. He did clear the "Prime Suspect" over the phone to me so he must have thought I was somewhat normal. ;)

I just hate when people say this about us. It makes me so mad.

What is really frustrating is how many people ( involved in the case) do follow what we do and like it. Yet, not one of them has ever come forward to say so publicly. It's like they like what we do but are afraid to say it out loud.

12. she wounded

she wounded Member

More People

More people do need to show an interest in this case and many others!

Why not realize, that lot's of LE are corrupt! Many are like WY said, they either know it all, or they like Cass Co. TX. They just tell you to you face we don't care, and we have spent too much money and time as it is!

We have major problems with local officals and also Federal Too!

I've not yet had Cass Co. answer to why they lied and covered up.When you call they usually just hang up. Other times they just tell you not to call at all! Who cares if they get phone calls it's their job to answer the Phone!

13. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Tricia

What is this guy Tom Bennett like? Is he old/young? What was he like to talk to on the telephone? Just curious.

I wonder exactly what it was that prompted him to break his silence about the case?

14. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

When he's talking about the mentally ill, he's talking about the jameson. Under her facts and documents she has a thread defining BORGs - space aliens. And she makes posts to space aliens, devotes entire threads to space aliens. Good Lord. And it sounded like JJ had been calling him, too.

So I was thinking from that 48 Hours thing the dna in her panties matched the dna under her fingernail. Bennett didn't indicate that was in any way true.

15. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I have Tom Bennett on speed-dial. Just kidding.

Tom Bennett's last name is Bennett, and so is the elusive Miss Jameson's. "Could it be that...?"

16. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Rofl!

I see that Code-Six Wingnut jameson and Virgin Mary Mc A. are up to their usual Holiday Hi-jinx.

While the rest of us are decorating our homes, planning the menus, writing and sending our cards, buying and wrapping gifts for our numerous relatives and friends, these two misfits are harassing law enforcement departments.

Some things never change. :rolling:

17. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

18. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

“Excuse me, but I am not aware of any change in the law that would allow this non permission, non warrant intrusion. 48 HOURS didn’t mention it. Can someone fill me in?â€

Anyone running around Boulder (or anywhere) trying to swab peoples' mouths should and probably would be avoided like the plague. Talk about mentally ill-at least we're not doing such a thing! Anyone stupid enough to comply with this "grab and swab" "investigation" should be reminded that their DNA sample could be used for cloning purposes. Evidence collected like this, even with consent, would not even be admissible in a respected court of law due to compromised integrity of the samples and chain of custody issues. It's a labor in vain but that's never stopped Smit et al before.

I'm glad Bennett made a public statement regarding the sneeze/cough DNA that, according to Moriarity, was the sole reason for the GJ's failure to indict. As for the remarks about mentally unstable serial phone callers, I wouldn't own that tag and advise anyone else, or ok most everyone else, here to own it either. Instead of disparaging people who are still interested in the Ramsey case (as apparently the BDA isn't according to Bennett) I think Bennett should invest his energy into building a case against the Hole-in-the-Head gang who are running around Boulder violating its citizens' civil rights with swabs. If it were the flower people from the airports, you can bet their booties would be filling the Boulder holding tanks. Why not the swarthy swabbers? Just another example of blind justice Boulder style.

Perhaps Keenan, now that she's getting paid all that money that should've gone to case investigations instead, can get a new law passed making assault with a Q-tip a felony offense.

19. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

The people working on the case understand that not everybody on these forums is crazy. But so many loons interfered over the years that everybody's been tarred by the same nasty brush, I'm sure. I think if Jameson hadn't come on the scene early on, the forums would be better respected.

20. Tricia

You're right BobC. I have found that when the person I am dealing with actually understands what FFJ is all about he or she calms down and sees what we are trying to do.

The one person who goes nuts at the mention of the Internet is Mark Beckner.

I sent him an email a long time ago asking a simple question. It had nothing to do with the forums but had to do with finding out public information. I was getting the runaround and I was at a loss as to where to go.

I made the mistake of identifying myself as the owner of FFJ. I got back the rudest email. Now I think it's kind of funny because he got all bent out of shape. LOL.

Yes we are all painted with the same brush unfortunately. But at least we are trying to change that.

Tricia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice