Could JonBenet Read or Not

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

This bothers me. I don't know why. Can't put my finger on it.

From DOI.

DOI (HB) Page 3:

"The kids screamed and cheered as they realized that Santa had brought just about everything in their lists. JonBenet wanted to take her new bike outside for a spin, but Burke suggested, "Let's get all the other gifts opened first. "Ah, the wise and experienced big brother. JonBenet agreed. They quickly busied themselves playing Santa's elves and distributing the beautifully wrapped gifts. JonBenet asked for Burke's assistance with the name tags, since he could read and she couldn't. It was the most fun in the world, doling out the gifts and seeing whose pile would become the biggest."
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    From the Ramsey Family Christmas letter December 1996.

JonBenet is enjoying her first year in 'real school.' Kindergarten in the Core Knowledge program is fast paced and five full days a week. She has already been moved ahead to first grade math. She continues to enjoy participating in talent and modeling pageants. She was named "America's Royale Tiny Miss" last summer and is Colorado's Little Miss Christmas. Her teacher says she is so outgoing that she will never have trouble delivering an oral book report!
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Are we suppose to believe that a 6 year old in a fast paced full time private school couldn't read names on Christmas tags? That a 6 year old who has advanced to 1st grade math couldn't recognize her own name and the names of her family on a name tag?

JonBenet.
    John/Dad
    Burke
    Patsy/Mom

What bothers me is the discrepancy is so huge, so ridicules that it is nauseating.

This is so Patsy.

I believe Patsy when she says JonBenet couldn't read the name tags. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS. All kids learn at their own pace.

I don't believe Patsy flowery description of JonBenet's advancement in her school.

This poor angel was never allowed to be normal. To be an "average" kid. It just didn't fit into the picture Patsy wanted to paint.

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Longtimeago kindergarten teacher here saying I'm 99% certain she could recognize her own name at very least.

This is the part that bothers me and I don't know why: "Ah, the wise and experienced big brother" and "It was the most fun in the world, doling out the gifts and seeing whose pile would become the biggest."

3. wombat

wombat Member

JonBenet probably couldn't read cursive at that age, which is how Patsy would have labeled the gifts (with a long tail on the left of the "B", and the "o"s flattened out at the right side!!!)

You note how Patsy give herself a compliment regarding the "beautifully wrapped gifts." It's the same thing she does in the Christmas letter about JBR's progress at school - bragging about what she sees as her own accomplishments.

The "no trouble delivering an oral book report" has always bothered me. The word "deliver" is repeated in the ransom note, and is referred to as being "difficult". Both writers describe delivery in the context of how hard it is. Hmmm.

4. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Right. I hadn't thought about the tags being labeled in cursive.

5. princessmer8

princessmer8 Member

If Jon Benet couldn't read then I don't understand why her teacher would even mention oral book reports. Obviously with her pagent training Jon Benet would be comfortable speaking infront of the class but she would need to learn to read before she could do a book report!

6. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

FWIW, my 5 year old is at pre-school and she has to "deliver oral book reports" despite the fact that she can only identify her name and a few random words like "Tesco" and "Bella Ballerina" LOL. What happens is that they have storysacks containing a book and some props relating to the book. Each week she brings home a different storysack and for homework, we have to read her the story and do the exercises which are part of the kit. Then she has to talk about the book at school.

7. princessmer8

princessmer8 Member

Homework and oral book reports in pre-school? What ever happened to finger painting and show and tell? lol!

8. Elle

Elle Member

Quite frankly, we could probably post umpteen messages here about how brilliant our own children and grandchildren are, when it comes to recognizing the alphabet, but most toddlers if given attention by the parents from a very young age, recognize pictures and large letters from the alphabet from children's books, and when I read this part before in "Death of Innocence" I wasn't surprised, because Patsy Ramsey spent more time on JonBenéts pageant world than she did being a normal every-day mother; reading books with her. End of story!

9. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Wait, Elle!

Daughter attended private christian school in kindergarten. They used ABeca ? curriculum, phonics based. She was reading by Christmas. Quoting scripture, too. Lord, I can still remember her reciting A - all have sinned and come short of the glory of God (book, chapter, verse #), B - believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved (book, chapter, verse #), C - children, obey your parents, D - depart from evil, E - even a child is known by his doings, etc, etc, etc. That's how the letter sounds were taught. Dog, she was smart. Still is, still loves school and learning. Did I mention she was a gorgeous baby? :)

10. Elle

Elle Member

Repeat: Quite frankly, we could probably post umpteen messages here about how brilliant our own children and grandchildren are! :rose: You still have the rest of the day JC.:takeabow:

11. wombat

wombat Member

The difference between all the Proud Posters and Patsy is that they are all proud of the CHILDREN and Patsy is proud of PATSY. Also she's superficial, IMO.

In the DOI Excerpt, Patsy is "dissing" JonBenet, in favor of the wise and experienced older brother Burke. And of course the beautifully wrapped presents.

In the Christmas letter she's praising the performing, beauty pageant JBR. Also beautifully wrapped, I suppose.

12. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I just wonder what he was so wise and experienced in. Reading I guess.

Really, I'm not a proud parent, prejudiced perhaps.

A :rose: to you Elle. I always like your posts.

13. sue

sue Member

I agree with all 3 things.
    I haven't read DOI in a long time, but one of the things that bothered me most was it is just all "flowery Patsy" and all about appearance. Her kids are not kids, they are stereotyped extensions of her - Burke, the wise and Jonbenet, the beautiful and poised.

Many parents of young school age kids make an effort to print the gift tags in a way that the kids could at least recognize their own names (and figure out the rest with a little prompting). Of course, I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is that Patsy was more concerned about having the tags look good and probablay used flowing cursive.

14. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for the rose JC. Very thoughtful. I enjoy reading yours too. :hiya:

15. Charlie

Charlie Member

bingo

That says it all really, that Patsy was more preoccupied with Jonbent learning her dance routine then learning how to read.

16. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Sue

I think you are right about most parents printing for the kids.

Everyone would print when sending things to my daughter, any notes, names, etc.

patsy wasn't like a normal mom.

17. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I just want to say "welcome" to Princessmer. Glad you're here, and have jumped on in. :)

18. Cherokee

I also want to say "welcome" to Wombat. Love the name, love wombats. Are you from Australia?

19. Cherokee

Truer words were never spoken. Well said, Sue. In Patsy's world, it's all about her.

20. Cherokee

And one more welcome going out to Charlie! I see you ARE from Oz. :) Wonderful country with wonderful people. In fact, I'm going over there in July.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice