Dave - what a guy!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Jayelles, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Dave has been making a study of BORG posts and has come up with a startling discovery...... that the BORG use the word "enlighten"! He has offered to start a new thread with a list of offenders from other forums and has been given high-fives for his excellent post by his buddies.

Well, I would urge just a little word of caution to Dr Dave. I couldn't resist doing a quick search of Websleuths for the word "enlighten" and was a bit disappointed to discover that there weren't THAT many hits. I was however interested in the "offenders" because a good number of them are decidedly RST posters :)

I'm unsure what Dave's point is though. Is he suggesting that the use of the word "enlighten" is some sort of giveaway or that posters who use it are really the same poster using different hats? I can say rubbish to that because I know for a FACT that quite a few of the posters who offend with the word "enlighten" are definitely, unmistakeably different people. OR...is he suggesting that members of a forum are more likely to use certain words and terms because they frequent forums where the terms are used? He could have something there (not sure of its relevance to the ramsey case) but I have noted that a fair number of posters at jameson's forum misuse the term ad nauseAM - typing ad nauseUM instead.

A partial list of offenders are:-

Rainsong
    Margoo
    Evening2
    Dave
    Anti-K
    DocG

and wait for it ---- Jayelles! Yes, I ad nauseUMed whilst at jameson's and I definitely know better (having had a classical education). I must have been influenced by the posters there :)

I say it's official. This guy is a total PLONKER!

2. ravenmad

ravenmad Member

I thought all those except you, Jayelles, were jameson. OOPS on my part. :x

3. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

That's okay, Jayelles, some of us are still being confused by other boards' posters as being the same person. Just because JC, Jesus Christ, the chief of surgery and myself all have the same initials does NOT mean that they (we) are the same person(s)....although maybe someone needs to tell that to the chief of surgery. :moose:

4. Elle

Elle Member

How interesting, Jay. We could have fun with this one, finding out who is wearing a few different hats all at the same time (?) *cough!* Now where have I heard about this before? :rolling:

5. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

hey Jayelles....thanks for enlightening us to this new turn of events.

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

It's not ad nauseum? :fishslap:

Chit!! I looked it up! You and your darn Scottish education! Ad nauseam. I can't believe I missed that all these years.

I quit! I'm done with spelling! I refuse to spend my life in the service of spelling idiosyncrasies, or idiosincryseas, or idiocynkrecees, or stupid arrangements of vowels and consonants that make the same sound, or the same arrangements that make different sounds...or the endless traps set by 2000 years of various civilizations communicating in endless ways that result in a maddening contest judged by the GRAMMAR PATROL!

And you can tell Dave that I am NOT ENJOYING your attempt to ENLIGHTEN ME, Jayelles!!

So there! I'll be under the bridge pouting with a good bottle of expired Scope I found in the trash today! Don't bother me! I'm not sharing!

7. Jayelles

LOL KK. Don't worry. I'm not the spelling and grammar police. The Scots are not hung up about spelling at all. We teach our kids how to spell properly, but we don't get our knickers in a twist if they don't. There are so many variant spellings of words in our own language that we couldn't begin to do that.

What I find entertaining about this is that Dr Dave has clearly been busying himself making a little collection of posts at BORG forums where the poster has used the word "enlighten" - and yet a while back, he claimed he wasn't in the habit of reading BORG forums! Ha-ha - guess who's pants are on fire!

That Dave would focus on whether a post contained the word "enlighten" rather than any of the arguments discussed in the post says it all. I have observed that he repeatedly does this. Last week he refused to answer a perfectly valid and interesting question that Beth was asking - preferring instead to repeatedly attack her for an earlier post she made. He eventually admitted in a post to jameson that he didn't know the answer to Beth's question..

I personally think that Dave is incapable of debate. IMO, he thinks in a corner with his back to the room.

He says of the "BORG":-

(Says it all really..)

I also have to ask - what is wrong with the word "enlighten"? It's a perfectly good word which means:-

Regarding people who waste 10 posts debating the wording of a question instead of just answering it - do you think they ever accomplish anything?

8. Elle

Elle Member

I'm afraid this Scots/Irish person is hung up on spelling, Jay, and I don't think Jim's sister, a retired Assistant Head Mistress would agree with you, but then we're older than you, and I would need to ask my sister-in-law about this. Our teachers were very strict when it came to grammar and spelling when I was at school.

Some words like fibre, colour and tonight are spelled differently in the U.S. "fiber, color and tonite" but I just go with the flow. The Canadian spelling is closer to the British spelling. When we brought our two oldest boys over here, they were a year ahead of children their same age, but for the youngest one born in Canada, it was the reverse. JIm had an assignment in Scotland. One of the largest rigs was being built for the North Sea, and we were back in a small village on the coast, and my youngest son was a year behind the Scottish children with his English. I had to work very hard with this third son. to get him on track. Today, he is glad I persisted. :) .

During that time, the Canadian Educational system was lacadaisical when it came to grammar and spelling. I'm glad things have changed for the better here. I must ask my sister-in-law in Edinburgh about these changes. She'll start a riot if she finds this is the case. :)

9. koldkase

Well, sadly, I have seen a startling decline in my grammatical and spelling skills in the last few years. I have considered three possibilities:

1. All along, I didn't know what I thought I knew, being much more illiterate than I imagined. So now that I've learned more, I catch my mistakes more.

2. I knew more once, but my degenerating brain cells are wiping out my skills at an astonishing rate.

3. The lackadaisical writing and spelling on the internet seeps in and eventually, I get confused about what is correct altogether.

I have actually looked stuff up that I think is consistently written incorrectly, thought I had checked and rechecked and now had the "rule" understood, but then come to doubt what is right or wrong anyway because the "mistake" is so consistently made by so many as to make me think somehow, I've mucked it up.

Then there are typos....

When you write as much as I do, it's a daunting task just catching your own mistakes. I HATE editing. It takes me forever.

As for Dave and his attitude about the opinions of others, I thought he made it perfectly clear about that when he started a thread stating jams should just ban anyone from posting on any topic he had deemed settled by his self-sponsored scientific data gathered through his invented processes which cannot be repeated by anyone for verification.

And I might add, now that I have a good computer and set of speakers, I listened to the entire 911 tape linked to a url on this forum, and I can hear something at the end, faintly, during those final moments of the 911 operator, with my own ears and not much else but some good speakers. I now see why LE went to the trouble of having Aerospace make the enhanced tape. Since I heard the enhanced tape played on Geraldo for that one phantom show segment, I know that there are voices clearly there. But I don't see how anyone can argue there is NOTHING there. All the professionals who had access to the enhanced tape know the truth and some have told it. I've heard of NO ONE who has access to the enhanced tape and is LE who has EVER said nothing is on there. So the RST can keep deluding themselves any way they want: the voices are there, and that's a fact. To whom they belong and what they say...that's all that is debatable, IMO.

I can understand why such a word as "enlighten" would frighten swampsters, though. :pills:

10. koldkase

OK, I went there, and how typical "DAVE the ANAL RETENTIVE" is in his thread.

I looked it up in my WEBSTER's, 1994 unabridged, and lo, behold! There was "enlighten" and it was defined just as we BORG have so oft used it. Somebody beat us with a wet noodle!

Or better yet, next time you spot Dave waddling by --->>> :rs:

[hehehe That's the first time I have seen this smilie in action. How cute!]

But alas, for Dave, Webster's seems to be some low class dictionary, not worthy of being accepted as a record of standard and correct usage. No, in Dave's world, he is befuddled by that which he can't manipulate into submission to the party line. Abstract thinking is not allowed! Enlightenment is BAD! Questioning propaganda is punishable by exile! Only RST rhetoric is acceptable and the rest...well...we're just not worth the breath we take. We're "those people" he does not know...ugh. Off with our fingers!

Enlighten me, indeed!

11. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

I suppose once Dave comes across another bright shiny object with which to fascinate himself his obsession with the word "enlighten" and who uses it will wane.

-Tea

12. Elle

Elle Member

Congratulations on your new computer KK. I would say you deserve it with all the hard work you do.

When it comes to Grammar KK, none of us are perfect all of the time, and it would be silly to worry about it, but I will admit to getting annoyed with myself when I find I've spelled something wrong, but, I often find myself typing fiber instead of fibre, and I don't worry about that type of error any more, because I'm so used to seeing it spelled in the American way, and I know the Americans know the Brits and Canadians spell in a different way, but no one here is marking up my papers with red ink, I hope (?) :)

13. Jayelles

The Northern Irish are different Ele. They have very high standards - among the top in Europe.

Let me clarify - the fact that the Scottish Education System isn't officially tough on spelling doesn't mean that Scots can't spell. As I said above - we do teach our children to spell properly and many of them go on to be excellent spellers. However, from an examination perspective, we don't penalise bad spelling as the English and Irish do. If a child spells phonetically or in dialect and the meaning is correct, we give them the mark. I believe that it is only in English Language exams that they are penalised for bad spelling.

It's fun marking exams where pupils use the most wonderful language to explain themselves. There have been occasions where I have sat reading words over and over aloud to myself trying to identify it. Not just speaking about Scottish kids here - ethnic minorities too. We place more emphasis on ideas and expression. That is not to say most Scots are bad spellers. Scots words have many variations in spelling though and if you are studying genealogy, you cannot rely upon people to spell their names the same way every time they write them!

14. Jayelles

Buffoonery

Excellent post KK.

Dr Dave has now started a whole thread about BORGs who use the word "enlighten". However it appears to be a FRAUDULENT thread with glaring ommissions. Namely:-

Now why would he leave that example out - I wonder? More importantly, what does it say about his integrity?

15. Jayelles

Buffoonery Continued

Seems that Dave required enlightenment as far back as 2001!

From the thread:"On the Physical Impossibility of ST's Envisionment"

Posted by Dave on Jul-10-01 at 00:24 AM (EST)
    "...Again, however, I know virtually nothing about this particular flashlight; I'm making what I consider to be reasonable assumptions about it. I am willing to be enlightened about it..."

ROFL!

16. Elle

Elle Member

Thanks Jay. I understand what you're saying here, and things have changed from the old days. That's great the child doesn't lose any marks for spelling phonetically. I like to read children's work like this too. This makes sense. I'll stop worrying about it, and won't e-mail the Prime Minister. :)

17. koldkase

hahaha Nothing gets by the guttah with you here, you Scottish wench! Here, have a nip of me gargling spirits, and a fresh breath to ya'! :martini:

18. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Jayelles

Kindly enlighten me as to the definition of "PLONKER" as applied to Dave at Webbsleuths. Could you include some synonyms?

Gratefully yours,

A poor benighted soul. :knight:

19. Jayelles

Plonker = eejit = ba'heid = dunderdeid etc

20. Jayelles

Well they are all discreetly ignoring Glasshouses and 70.IP's posts which point out that Dr Dave himself uses the word "enlighten". Best let that embarassing thread drop to the bottom eh? Better still - why not archive it?

Hilarious! A geezer starts a thread to viciously attack a bunch of people for doing something which the geezer himself has been caught on camera doing TWICE! Dave needs to acquire better search skills if he's going to start attacking the language used by the "BORG".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice