1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I read Sharon Rocha's new book, For Laci, over the weekend.

It's raw, it's honest, and it's a textbook on how innocent and truly grief-stricken parents feel and act when they lose a child. Sharon and her family not only submitted to polygraph tests, they were in daily contact with the detectives. They cooperated 100 percent, because they had absolutely nothing to hide.

As a mother of three daughters, I relate to the pain and anquish Sharon Rocha has experienced and understand that it will never be over for her. I know I would have reacted as she did. I could never relate to the way Patsy Ramsey responded to JB's death.

OTOH, the way Scott Peterson acted is akin to the way the Ramseys acted after JBR was found dead. Lies, inconsistencies in statements, dodging questions, refusing to cooperate with authorities.

2. Elle

Elle Member

That was a really sad state of affairs With Laci Peterson. So sad for the parents. You're right WY. Scott Peterson acted in exactly the same way as the Ramseys.

3. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Personally,

I think that the Ramsey's behavior is more akin to Sadam Hussen's than to Scot Peterson.

How so?

1.) Well, in the face of obvious guilt, Sadam is pointing his finger at everyone else.

2.) Sadam's ego, like the Rams, is as big as all outdoors.

3.) Sadam, like the Rams, is arrogant, and seems convinced that he can get away with murder.

4.) Sadam looks more like the Rams than Peterson.

5.) Whereas Scott had Amber on the side, the Rams have Jams.

GL
    :leaf:

4. Watching You

Yup. I have to agree with that, Greenie. I guess that's what all terrorists do when they're caught.

5. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

I am enjoying all of your comments here.

I haven't read the book yet but I certainly plan on it. I just haven't seen it in the stores yet (nor on line to order it) For the life of me I have always had a difficult time understanding why the Ramseys acted as they did that first morning. If you are innocent then it will come out as such after all the interviews, testing of whatever there is to test, ploygraphs and all that stuff. They weren't ever that shocked or maybe I'm forgetting a lot over this time period. For PR to have been so drugged up so early seems like folly. At the point of police presence and their child was "missing" they both seemed distant and non helpful in finding her. They are odd and they are guilty.

6. Watching You

It's at Amazon.com, zoo. I got mine last Friday.

7. Elle

Elle Member

How right you are, Greenleaf!

8. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Even Lin Wood said on LKL that the Ramseys' lawyers kept them out of prison, but the result is they look guilty to the public.

I've always said one thing about this topic of the Ramseys' behavior after the murder: they alone could help LE find the killer; lawyering up and refusing to talk to LE freely, take polys, whatever LE needed, guaranteed that no "intruder" would ever be found.

It also guaranteed the Ramseys would never be charged, either.

So what is your priority? How on earth could parents who had the most powerful law firm in Colorado at their side be so worried about being convicted of the murder, they refused to help LE?

It's absurd, and it's nothing but a smoke screen. They weren't worried about any intruder who not only murdered JonBenet, but also who could come back for them or Burke or another relative. Their priority was staying out of prison. Period.

When John ran for office last year, I remember so well how he said that he feared some NUT coming up in his yard with a gun. That's how they think, and that's how they give themselves away, over and over: they already HAD a "nut" come into their home and murder their child, according to them, who hasn't even been ALMOST caught. Yet they're not worried about THE INTRUDER to this day. No, they're worried about someone who thinks they did it.

They reveal guilt in everything they do or say.

I saw Sharon Rocha on tv, and I really wanted to hear what she had to say about what happened between the Petersons and the Rochas after the murder. But she was very reserved on that. Does she discuss that in the book, WY?

9. Watching You

All I can say about what happened between the Petersons and Laci's family is that Snot's mother and father acted like petulant little brats. She didn't say that, but that's the conclusion I drew from her description of the things that went on. When the cameras were around, the Petersons couldn't be sweet enough; but when the cameras were off, the Petersons snubbed Sharon and her family. There were a few verbal altercations instigated by the Petersons. I think they are very small, very hateful, nasty people. It especially showed up toward the end when the sentence was handed down. Ron, Sharon's sig other, said I'm sorry to the Petersons. Their answer? F___ you.

10. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

They should have reserved the F word for the execution!

11. Tez

Tez Member

WY, Jackie Peterson is a special one isn't she? The things she said about Sharon were just hateful. As were the things she said about her daughter Ann and her husband. I think that Jackie is part of the reason that Snotty boy murdered Laci, Mommie Dearest thought she wasn't good enough for her "Golden Boy." I absolutely can not stand the sight of that woman. As for Lee Peterson, he looks like he's in a fog 99% of the time, probably from listening to Jackie harp all of the time.

I read the book in a day, but I really need to reread it. I cried so much while I was reading it that there were times that I had to put the book down and think about something else. This has been the best book about the case, IMO.

12. Watching You

Tez, as the mother of three daughters who mean everything to me, I totally emphasized with Sharon Rocha. It really was hard getting through the book, because her pain was so raw, and I don't think any loving mother can read the book without thinking of her own daughters (or sons, for that matter). In my case, though, it's daughters, and I have to tell you, the thought of going through what Sharon went through with Laci just rips my heart out. I went through every emotion with her, and it was hard.

The pictures of Laci when she was little just oozed with her zest for life and her bubbly personality. Her beautiful brown eyes just sparkled, and her smile was huge and genuine. I think Scott resented and was jealous of Laci because of her joy and ambition.

I was both drained and very angry when I finished the book. I have to give Sharon a lot of credit - she confronted the killer Scott Peterson, and she didn't listen to his bull. I don't know as I could be in that kind of control of myself without wanting to blow his brains out for taking the life of my beloved daughter and her baby. I've always said that if anything happened to one of my children, they may as well bury me, too. I know the devastation of my spirit would be total, and you can bet your sweet bippy I wouldn't be on TV thanking the world a few days later like the Ramseys did, either. Scott and Jackie and Lee are pure evil in my book. IMO, so are the Ramseys.

13. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

AND ... you wouldn't go on TV a few days later saying you weren't ANGRY at your daughter's killer either!

14. Watching You

It's not even normal not to have rage at your daughter's killer - at least at first, and for me, probably forever. I'm afraid I would be like Sharon when she said she cries every day and she will never, ever get over it. She couldn't begin to think about "getting on with her life."

15. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Exactly. The anger and devastation would be almost overwhelming, especially at first. The sense of profound loss would last forever.

16. Tez

Tez Member

WY, I can totally relate how you feel about your three daughters. I have two daughters as well as two sons. I probably wouldn't make it through something like that, I would probably do myself in because I would be so devastated.

I would want to blow that person's brains out too, after hours and hours of torture.

Sharon showed a lot of restraint in dealing with the Peterson's. I don't think I could have been so restrained. And I loved the way she didn't hold back when she confronted Scott. He deserved that and more. It broke my heart when Laci's brother said at the penalty phase that he actually went and out and bought a gun to take care of Scott. He showed so much restraint. You can see how Scott totally destroyed the Rocha/Grantski family.

Another point that stood out in the book for me was the fact that Sharon said how much she appreciated what Amber did, but that she wished she hadn't cashed in so soon. I am still not sure what to make of Amber, but I do know I have no respect for her having some man pay child support on a child that she knew possibly wasn't his without a DNA test. It wasn't fair to her child thinking this man was her father, and the people who thought they were her grandparents are hurt because of this too. She should have been honest in the beginning.

Off my soapbox now...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  17. Watching You

I don't know what to think about Amber, either, except I have a lot of respect for her coming forward and working with the police. I don't think they would have gotten a conviction without her. She showed considerable courage, even in the face of possible danger to herself. I believe Scott was trying to get Amber to that cabin so that he could kill her and eliminate her as a witness.

OTOH, I think Amber has made some mistakes in her life, just like most people make mistakes. She seems a little needy, which may have blinded her to Scott's true self to begin with, but he's a sociopath, and he had a lot of people fooled. I do not respect her less because she dated a man she believed was not married. That's what makes the world go round - people meeting and dating. It's not her fault he lied to her and very convincingly, at that.

It's not up to me to judge her morals, because I don't know the circumstances behind any of her decisions. I too think it was wrong to make a man pay child support if she had any doubt at all the child was his. He should be reimbursed in full.

18. Niner

Niner Active Member

LOL! Me too Tez!! First book EVER that I have had to put down & cry some, read some, cry some more...

19. Niner

Niner Active Member

20. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

A class act vs a nut

Patsy reminds me a lot of Scot Peterson’s Mother. While ever trying to elicit sympathy for herself, with her portable oxygen, she never once offered an ounce of sympathy for Laci’s Mother. In fact, she was full of contempt for Laci’s family, and her demeanor, throughout the trial, was blatantly self-serving. Not only was she in denial, she lashed out at anyone who had the nerve to think that her “golden boy†could have committed such a horrendous crime. Listen up! Forget about the genuinely grieving family of the young murdered woman, just focus on the unfortunate woman who brought this creep into the world.
    Yes, another Mother lost her child in Boulder, Colorado. But there was a big difference. The Mother in Boulder was akin to Scot Peterson, as far as the guilt was concerned, and akin to HIS Mother, in the modus operandi of the aftermath. Patsy was NOT, in any way, akin to Laci’s Mother or her family.
    Sharon Rocha is a class act. She is beautiful, both inside and out.
    Patsy Ramsey is all puff and frill. She can only deceive the most ignorant and/or gullible people on earth. Even if the spiritual powers that be were to tattoo “GUILTY†on her forehead, there would still be a select few certified morons who would keep on following her to their mass- mutual- destruction.

GL
    :leaf:
    (My hives just reappeared)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice