Cyril Wecht has been INDICTED

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, Jan 20, 2006.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

2. Elle

Elle Member

3. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

Very interesting, indeed. I hope that proper justice is served.

-Tea

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I am just sick about this.

The Dr. Wecht I know is a great guy, hard worker, and all and all a delightful person.

Just have to wait to see how this all plays out I guess.

5. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

Perhaps, Elle, but I highly doubt it. They wouldn't even go after him when he released his book in 1998 in which he theorizes that JonBenet was sexually molested by her father. Yet, less than two months after Steve Thomas puts out his book with his "Patsy killed JonBenet due to bedwetting" theory, John told him on LKL that they were going to sue him.

Go figure.

-Tea

6. Elle

Elle Member

I don't think Dr. Wecht is any different from any other top dog business man when it comes to expenses etc., I think he's being used as a scapegoat, Tricia.

7. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Oh, I think Wecht can take care of himself. He's mostly charged with misuse of state facilities and personnel. I think he made some political enemies. I can imagine he's quite a pill on the job. He gets very rankled on tv when someone questions his conclusions or opinions.

And like Dr. Lee and John Douglas, Wecht works for his money. I've seen him say things I wanted to smack him for, defend dispicable defendants, like Scott Peterson, when he had to admit finally that he couldn't say CONCLUSIVELY that Laci's baby was born alive, just that it "might" have been.

Ticked me off, fairly well. He was obviously arguing this for Geragos, and I believe he was a consultant for Scott's case. AND he didn't take the stand, did he, because he could NOT state the baby WAS born alive. So he was nothing but a weak argument in the end, and would have hurt the defense more than help when the prosecution made him admit repeatedly the forensics were solidly in favor of the baby being coffin born just before washing ashore.

I think the man is brilliant...like Dr. Lee. But they have feet of clay like all of us. Dr. Lee said in his last book he advised Hunter NOT to indict after the Grand Jury in the Ramsey case. Speaking of wanting to smack someone -->> :fishslap:

8. Elle

Elle Member

Whatever he is, he is still being singled out. I'm more intrigued with this side of things.

As for Dr. Henry Lee. I could never understand what the man was saying half the time, with no offense, to anyone. I'm not the only one. I'll happily slap him for that one. I personally think he enjoys the limelight when he gets it.

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

At WS BlueCrab posted exactly what I think is going on.

I have 100 percent stolen his post and brought it over here. I hope he doesn't mind,

Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    The whole Wecht inictment issue reeks of jealousy and politics at its worse. Dr. Wecht doesn't appear to have violated the law at all. Even the college denies it traded anything for the cadavers -- a direct rebuttal of what the DA considers his main charge against Wecht. The goal of the indictment is an attempt to politically smear someone who holds an elected office as coroner and also has a perfectly legal private practice in the same field.

BlueCrab

10. Elle

Elle Member

I'll go along with Bluecrab, Tricia. I just feel the whole shebang reeks of something we haven't heard enough about.

11. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I have no idea what all the charges are and there's a lot of them. But what I am thinking is he is an elected county official. Yet, his noted expertise has been used by other counties throughout the United States. He gets paid privately for that, tho. He says he doesn't do any of that work on county time. He kept private business records/files (JBR's for instance) in county buildings is what I'm remembering. And I don't remember anything about cadavers which Bluecrab says is the main charge. I'd like to know more about it.

I guess I just think if anyone contracted his services out, it should have been the county doing it, not him individually. Not as long as he was an elected county official. I could be way off base and often am.

12. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

The bottom line to this is that Wecht was allegedly unjustly enriched through alleged misuse of government resources. It all seems pretty petty to me in comparison to the serious issues facing the federal government like a severe healthcare crisis, drugs, rising oil prices with no alternative sources, bin Laden's most recent threat and illegal aliens. I'd rather see the feds utilize these millions of taxpaper dollars to resolve those issues than prosecute Dr. Wecht. There's your misuse of government resources. How is prosecuting him a benefit to the public, or is it just to the benefit of interested private parties?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060121/D8F8NQ8O2.html

13. Little

Little Member

What Deja said oh so well!!
    :toast:

Little

14. Elle

Elle Member

\

Thanks for this article Deja. What I would like to know is, who was the first person responsible for starting this attack on Wecht. I wonder if Dr. Wecht himself could finger him/her (?). Someone sure had it in for him, and that someone had connections high up, and made sure it took off. *******!

15. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I would sure like to know what the catalyst was too, because our government certainly has more pressing issues, I would think!

16. Elle

Elle Member

We're not hearing enough about this side of things, Moab, are we? This trial must be sending a message out to a lot of people, who will now be taking precautions, or they could be next. As you said Moab, the government has more pressing issues. Doesn't make much sense.

17. Little

Little Member

Dr. Wecht has some good support :)

Bower said Wecht performs roughly 10 autopsies each year for him. Bower, like many coroners in rural counties, is not a pathologist and cannot perform autopsies.
    He said he still plans on using Wecht to perform autopsies in the future.

"The indictment doesn't change his ability to perform autopsies," Bower said. "We have no reason not to (use Wecht.)"

The coroner added that he believes the charges against Wecht stem from a long-running feud between Wecht and Allegheny County District Attorney Steven Zappala.

"I think it's politically-oriented," Bower said of the charges. "He's due his day in court just like everybody else."

18. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

They are really reaching, aren't they? They couldn't find any real dirt on him, such as falsifying the results of an autopsy or the like, so they indicted him for this nickel/dime BS. Good Gawd, if they indicted every official who used county employees to run personal errands and do work for them privately, half the mayors and other city officials in the country would be under indictment.

Political is right. One can only speculate who's behind it - people in the shadows with an axe to grind with Wecht who want to discredit him any chicken-chit way they can.

19. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I surely agree with this:

"The indictment doesn't change his ability to perform autopsies," Bower said."

20. Little

Little Member

Oh boy, do I ever think you nailed it WY & JC. I surely hope his friends rally around him.

Little

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice