1. Skigwy

Skigwy Member

Patsy wrote the note. You don't have to look far here for a compelling/convincing argument in favor of her authorship.

The list of people Patsy would attempt to cover for is a short one. They're all named Ramsey or Paugh.

She's at the top of my list. While I don't hold to any particular blow-by-blow account of the actual murder or event/s precipitating it, I've entertained the following based on the books, transcripts, etc.

John was unaware until Patsy presents him with the note that morning. He's immediately suspicious of Patsy. He recognizes her in the note and confronts her.

J:"What have you done?"

P:"Nothing , she's been kidnapped!"

J:" I don't believe you. If you didn't write this, then call the cops."

Something similar to that.

After the introduction, after the instructions, there is a pleading tone in the threat third of the ransom note.

She needs to convince John it's for real before anyone else. He balks, calls her bluff, she's forced to skip ahead in her plans, make a call she hasn't rehearsed, alter the scenario she's anticipated.

The note would have John at the bank, with his attache, leaving Patsy & Burke home alone. Patsy would insist he take Burke, for his own safety, while she sat by the phone. She'd then have the opportunity to leave the house, bring/take the body somewhere, perhaps place a call to the house from a payphone.

But John's initial disbelief causes her to up the ante, call 911 in order to convince him that what he's confronted with (missing child, note) isn't of Patsy's doing.

John's actions that morning are consistent with his not having full knowledge of what's transpired, but at the same time his suspecting Patsy's involvement. He too often says "missing". He considers the possibility JB is hiding, he looks in the refrigerator, under beds. In the basement.

His suspicion of Patsy escalates as he finds the open window, the staging so obvious he elects to undo it. (Though theres only his word that the window was open/unlatched, so...)

Perhaps he finds the body, doesn't raise the alarm, needing time to process what he's learning. Until his patience runs out, his realization that he'll learn nothing more until events proceed, and he finds ("finds") her.

1. Why'd Patsy do it. Well she had lots of irons in lots of fires. More than most. There was some conflict with JB.

Whether a new dimension to their relationship or building. Stress? Yes. An accidental act of rage/temper, but then?

I see Patsy as defined primarily by her role of mother. And wife. The concocted kidnapper/s scenario her attempt not to escape justice as much as to maintain her good mother status. And good non-murdering wife.

2. Why'd John stand by his woman? John talks often about the importance of what others think (and say) about him.

Protecting the family name for future Ramseys, as well as how critical his personal reputation is to his professional success. Customers might doubt you if you were happily married to a murderess.

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

Interesting thought indeed! I don't believe I've seen that scenario presented.

3. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

very good

I have wondered about what happened that night almost every day since I first heard about it. At first I thought it had to be John who was the main perp but over the years I have leaned toward PDI and John didn't really know about anything til Patsy ran screeching up the stairs that morning. The theory that John called her bluff is very interesting and fits well. I've always thought someone wanted to remove JBR's body(why leave a ransom note if he/she didn't have some plan to move her out of the house) but didn't get the chance so had to go to plan B.

4. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Skigwy

Very interesting point of view. In fact that scenerio hadn't occured to me at all. However I do question one of your points...about the open window. If an intruder really did it and that was his entrance and escape, and that means that John had absolutly nothing whatsoever to do with the window being open or closed or broken, then why on this good green earth and for the love of Pete did he tell Fleet White that he broke it months ago. That window and JR's story about it loom very large indeed I think. It makes no sense whatsoever for John to lie about the window to anyone ever. Either he did break it or he didn't and that should be the end of that story.

In many ways I can buy the theory that John was the innocent here for the murder of his daughter. But then I can also see that he was the brains behind the coverup. I'm sure a conversation about them losing everything if discovered would have taken place during those early morning hours. If Patsy did all of this and intended to remove her body from the house then she certainly could have. It isn't unusual for a person to drive out their own drive way no matter what the time of day or night. Things happen. The very careful way that JB was laid out on the floor in that room tells us something about her killer. They cared for her, knew her habits and gave her her favorite shirt, carefully tucked in the blanket around her. Stuff like that. A perp would get the hell out of dodge after the murder and be gone in the night in a split second. BTW in the redesigned front of the house as it stands today there is no driveway. I do think there is a large gate to the yard but no defined driveway. Strange huh! (At least I think that is the way it is) Anyone?

5. Elle

Elle Member

You could be right Skigwy. With John Ramsey's agitation during the kidnapping scenario, it seemed as if he knew much more; especially when he made a beeline for the windowless room/wine cellar. I think we all agree on the fact that he knew JonBenét's body was in there. It was bad luck for John Ramsey to find out Fleet White had opened that same door, earlier that same morning of the 26 December, 1996. and he saw nothing.

6. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Skigwy

Skigwy, you wrote:
    “John's actions that morning are consistent with his not having full knowledge of what's transpired.â€

You have written a well-thought-out- scenario, but I stopped dead in my tracks when I read that line. It is, of course, your general premise, upon which you base the rest of your theory. Although I found it an interesting read, Skigwy, with some possibilities, I cannot bring myself to think that John didn’t “have full knowledge of what transpired.â€

You could be right, but, from all that I have gleaned from this sordid sequence of events, I believe that John KNEW, like Helen Keller KNEW, all that had transpired. (And afterwards, he played the classic deaf-mute.) Precisely how it happened, I do not know, but, from the get-go, John was (IMHO) very much involved. In fact, I believe that the taboo subject of incest played a significant role in all that led to the final dastardly deed, and, most certainly, to the convoluted cover-up.

Perhaps no other crime in history has turned two otherwise business savvy people, into such bumbling idiots. Neither John nor Patsy, IMHO, has put together one intelligent sentence, since JBR’s murder. Neither of them can get their stories straight, and they have, time and time again, used their media clout to blaspheme as many innocents as their repository of evil can hold.

GL
    :leaf:

7. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I was at the house in Boulder in March 2004. The "driveway" is actually a relatively short piece of cement that sits between the back alley and double garage that faces the alley. There is no driveway from 15th street to the rear of the house where the garage is located.

In other words, to access their garage, the Ramseys drove through the back alley, not 15th Street.

8. Little

Little Member

Very interesting thread here.

Greenleaf wrote:
    That's a neat way to word this Greenleaf. Although I only quoted part of what you said, it's just that it got me to wondering if it could be the same way that we tend to "know" those we have a close relationship with, and to read their behavior and actions. I wonder when he knew what he was going to do to get out of this mess.

Little

9. Greenleaf

Little

Thank you, Little. You wrote:
    "I wonder when he knew what he was going to do to get out of this mess?

Being the CEO and owner of a billion dollar business, John Ramsey had well-paid and anxious underlings to clean up his messes. At his level, a snap of his fingers would have brought immediate action to just about anything he desired and/or ordered.

I believe that when JR was faced with the aftermath of his daughter’s murder, he thought that his faithful subordinates would get him through it all in one piece. I do not believe that he had any idea of the perplexing state of affairs he would find himself in. He was totally unprepared for the rapid unfolding of events, and the enormous media attention.

Heretofore, his wealth and position had protected him from the “slings and arrows†of common folks. In his world, he was the Boss, and everyone looked to him for guidance and direction. His wish was their command. He was the law, and he was in control.

Just about everything he did, after JBR’s demise, painted an unflattering picture of his selfish, egotistic persona. He stuttered and stumbled shamefully when the Detectives and Police inquired as to what happened. His arrogance and haughty demeanor was (and is) ever present. THEY were now in control.

What we have to understand is that he literally (IMHO) considered himself above the law. How dare those peons question him? So, what did he do? He hired away his problems, of course. He got the biggest and best law firm and PR firm to handle all of those mundane issues. Isn’t that what everyone does?

GL

10. Little

Little Member

Greenleaf wrote:
    Well said again (in my humble opinion) Greenleaf.

My perception of John and Patsy is that way back when she dissuaded the woman that John implied was stalking him, an alliance was born. Two of a kind as it were. They had someone who thought the way they did, and could help them achieve what they most desired. Kinda scary, isn't it?

Little

11. Greenleaf

The Russians are coming; The Russians are coming...

Haha..

Thanks for your comments, Little.

But, my guests, including the Russian, are coming in a few minutes.

The table is set, "the guests are met, and I am next of kin...."

The gumbo is bubbling away on the back burner, the wine is chilled, the booze is proudly displayed, the bread is in the oven, and I am out of here!

P.S. I purchased a really nice bottle of Volka yesterday only to find out that the Russian doesn't drink ANYTHING!

GL

12. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

but..

What Skigwy presents would explain John's puzzling action of giving the cop's Patsy's notepad. I have pondered that blunder many times and could only think he didn't know yet or that he was handing Patsy over to the BPD (which wouldn't make much since in light of the feverish cover-up activity) Also - John initially told the cops that the doors and windows were locked and then later changed his story. Seems maybe some of John's behavior could be explained by this theory.
    I don't know what happened that night but I believe Patsy wrote that note and over the years have come to believe John probably didn't have a say on the content - it is so "Patsy". I think if he was involved in the cover-up the note would have been more realistic and the body would have been out of the house before the cops were called. Aaarrrgh - I get so frustrated trying to figure out what happened! :doover:

13. Elle

Elle Member

I never got an invitation, :( Sounds like a set up of an Agatha Christie. or James Bond. What happens next? :)

14. Elle

Elle Member

The Ramseys didn't even have a driveway to drive out of, ZM. The had to leave from the alley at the back. There was no driveway. Just that winding path where the candy canes were. I think there must have been a great discussion between Patsy and John, when it came to removing JonBenét's body somewhere outside. It may have been too difficult for Patsy to bear. This was their biggest mistake, not removing the body from the house, and still they got away with it.

Texan, I've seen this mini clip before. A good one! This is exactly how I feel too about this case. Keep on going back to the same spot all the time.

15. Greenleaf

Texan

Quote: Texan:
    "I don't know what happened that night but I believe Patsy wrote that note and over the years have come to believe John probably didn't have a say on the content - it is so "Patsy".'

I have always believed that John ditated all or part of the note to Patsy. The wording of the note strongly indicates two things:
    l1.) Don't implicate John
    2.) Don't implicate his business

In a clumsy, juvenile way, the writers are desperate in their attempts to convince the reader that not only are the Ramsey's not involved, but "foreigners," out to get John, are the authors of the note and therefore the guilty parties.

All the silly words and phrases, such as: "and hence, attache case, fat cat," etc. are, most certainly, "so Patsy."

I just finished reading Easy Writer's magnificent analysis of the garotte that wasn't. Had the Grand Jury been allowed to hear the likes of Easy Writer, sans Alex Hunter, there most probably would have been an indictment.

GL

16. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

When this first happened, I had a vision of Patsy sitting on a stool at a counter - probably an eating bar - writing the ransom note while John Ramsey paced back and forth in front of her, dictating. I wasn't in the shower, I was in the jacuzzi. Just kidding, but I am not kidding about the vision that popped into my head.

17. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

That reminds me of "A Very Special Ramsey Christmas." Anybody here read that? Oh, boy! Put the kids to bed before you read it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice