Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rashomon
    Elle, I too have asked the question if others know where Nedra said that.
    For I remember reading this but forgot where I read it. It might have been in Steve Thomas' book, but I'm not sure. Too bad the book doesn't have an index, but I'll try to go through it again.
    Could other posters help us here?
    All I remember about Nedra's statement to Steve Thomas was that JonBenét would holler for anyone who was within earshot to come and help clean her up. Nothing about "JonBenét being a little abused." When I read your post, this jumped right out at me.

I'm sure there would have been much more posted on this rashomon. This is quite a statement for Nedra Paugh to have made, and why I am keen on finding the source. No one else has even responded (?).

This "geocities" index might help you rashomon. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7615/books.html ...although I didn't find what I was looking for today . I came across it a good few years back for Steve Thomas' book "JonBenét" and for Lawrence Schiller's "Perfect Murder Perfect Town." It has come in handy for me. Of course, the paper back for PMPT does have an index at the back, but not the hardbacks.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

I've been trying to find Nedra's statement, but no luck yet. It is in a good source somewhere, just can't remember where right now. I'll look some more when I have time if no one else finds it first.

In the meantime, I found the Vanity Fair article and posted a new thread on it. Talk about the Rams' history...I think a lot of us forgot this stuff, bombarded by the RST spin for so many years.

http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/09161997vanityfair.htm

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Do you remember having read the same statement rashomon read, KK, that Nedra thought JB was a little abused?

On page 101-102 "JonBenét" Steve Thomas does talk to Nedra, but there's no mention of the statement above.
    Just my opinion.

I could very well be wrong, but after thinking about this, for some reason I connect Nedra's statement coming from not a book, but the Geraldo episode where someone from his show interviewed Nedra, and I believe Patsy (seperately). I have a vague recollection about that show, I remember Patsy talking about JonBenet going to school (for some reason that stands out) and Nedra talking about her being "slightly" molested or something like that. I couldn't figure out how that would work, very strange. This was Geraldo's day time show. As I said, I may be wrong. It's been so many years...
    I despise the Ramseys and this is just my opinion

Hi Thor,

I quite believe it could be from a source such as this (?). I sure don't remember it from any of the books. It's quite a statement, Thor, don't you think? Coming from Patsy's own mother!

rashomon is a wonderful poster, and I believe that she did come across this, and I would dearly love to find the source. I know what it's like when I'm trying to find something I've read somewhere. Frustrating!

If Nedra really made this statement. Wow!
    Just my opinion.

Yes Elle, it is a very bizarre statement. How can you be "slightly" molested? Either you are or you're not. I just think I remember this televised as opposed to in print for some reason. But I do remember she said it.
    I despise the Ramseys and this is just my opinion

Gosh, Elle, this is one statement that has been discussed for years. Since one theory I have is that Patsy was molested as a child by someone in her life, and that Nedra was therefore the mother who looked the other way, more or less, I don't find this statement of hers surprising.

Unfortunately, I just can't recall the origin, though I'm sure many of the old posters could, were they here. We'll keep looking.

In the meantime, I wanted to get this link for those who are interested in the prior molestation theory. I started it a few years ago when I was reading Marilyn Van Derbur's book, Miss American By Day. You may remember that Marilyn was molested by her own father from the time she was 5 until she left home at 18. Her sister was also molested by him, a very rich and powerful man who kept company with Colorado governors, powerful politicians, and was a well-respected philanthropist in Denver. Turned out, he molested many girls in his life, and kept a mistress at work, as well.

The complexities of incest are mind-boggling, and this book is the most comprehensive first person account of the life of such a victim I've ever read. Marilyn is brutally honest about the lies, the secrets which she kept from even herself. Yes, she had what she calls her "day child" and her "night child." It's a heartwrenching book that is truly difficult to read, but if you want to know how prominent, Christian families can have and hide such secrets for decades, or forever, this book will show you. Marilyn spares no detail. She tells how the abuser controls the child victim, the family, and has no shame in his abuse.

On this old purgatory thread, I discussed the book as I read it, so if you are interested in the parallels between a former Miss American who lived with the secret of incest and Patsy, you might want to look at it.

When you go to the link, it will have some kind of ad first. Just click "skip" or "no thanks." I don't think you have to join to read, or at least, you didn't used to have to join to read.

Oh, Marilyn was consulted by the BPD on JonBenet's murder. She even spoke on LKL about it. The thing she said that I have burned into my memory was this: when asked if her parents could have murdered her just to keep the secret, she said they could have done so and then gone to lunch.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...msg%3D1262%2E1

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

OK, I did find a page in PMPT, paperback edition, p. 512, where Nedra was interviewed for a Geraldo show and she said she didn't know that JonBenet had been "...molested to some extent and hit on the head." Maybe that got translated into "a little bit molested" during the discussions and just stuck. If that's it, I'm ambivalent about the translation: it would be natural enough for a grandmother, if hearing this for the first time, to minimize its impact on her own grief.

I also found a post Tricia made in 2004, part of the Bonita Papers, where the conclusions of some of the medical experts is pretty detailed. Since we've been talking about that a lot, thought it might be a good refresher for us:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...92&postcount=8

That's all I have time for today. Back later.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Default PMPT the Movie

I can still hear that statement ringing in my ears also. It's a line from the movie PMPT uttered by Ann-Margaret, playing Nedra. In that somewhat boozy drawl that Ann Margaret used to play Nedra, she leans forward, bathrobe askew, and says, "She had heard that JonBenet had been 'somewhat molested". To my knowledge that quote is not in print.

Hope this helps.

pope

Quote Originally Posted by Pope
    I can still hear that statement ringing in my ears also. It's a line from the movie PMPT uttered by Ann-Margaret, playing Nedra. In that somewhat boozy drawl that Ann Margaret used to play Nedra, she leans forward, bathrobe askew, and says, "She had heard that JonBenet had been 'somewhat molested". To my knowledge that quote is not in print.

Hope this helps.

pope
    Thank you, Pope. This puts a completely different light on this matter. Nedra was stating that she had heard that JonBenét had been "somewhat molested" - big difference! Thank you very much! I do have a DVD, and truthfully, I don't remember hearing her character Anne Margaret saying this. It has been sometime since I viewed it, but I'll take your word for it, and later might check it out.

This is exactly what I thought it might be; something misconstrued. Then when it is written down it can be become another story.

Thank you again, Pope.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase
    OK, I did find a page in PMPT, paperback edition, p. 512, where Nedra was interviewed for a Geraldo show and she said she didn't know that JonBenet had been "...molested to some extent and hit on the head." Maybe that got translated into "a little bit molested" during the discussions and just stuck. If that's it, I'm ambivalent about the translation: it would be natural enough for a grandmother, if hearing this for the first time, to minimize its impact on her own grief.

I also found a post Tricia made in 2004, part of the Bonita Papers, where the conclusions of some of the medical experts is pretty detailed. Since we've been talking about that a lot, thought it might be a good refresher for us:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...92&postcount=8

That's all I have time for today. Back later.
    This is the way information changes KK and I for one have always done my best to name the source in my posts whenever necessary. A statement like that coming from Nedra Paugh herself would not have passed Steve Thomas' scrutiny, and he interviewed her thoroughly in Atlanta.
    Just my opinion.

I did some searches. Thor might be right about it being something from Geraldo. When that site comes up it says you can purchase transcripts for, I think, $8, but it did have two separate shows, one with Patsy & one with Nedra.

Little