1. sboyd

sboyd Member

I have a question re his books, which I just bought. In one of them, I believe (A Mother Gone Bad) Hodges speaks of Lou Smit saying Smit would down the road have a change of opinion re parents killing. He is not specific and does not expound on it. I know of no place where I have heard this. Could it be that he -Hodges - is saying that Smit later on came to feel that this kind of a murder could be committed by parents (in general). If anyone has read his books, would really appreciate hearing what you think of them.

Also, any idea why Steve Thomas was sued by the Ramseys and not Dr. Hodges. I mean he may be saying this is a medical theory but he out and out says they are the murderers. If I were innocent, I would say that is libel. He is much more pointing of the finger at the Ramseys than Thomas. He reiterates it in every sentence. But I never heard that he was sued. Hodges does say that people were afraid to interview him (Hodges) because the Ramseys were notorious for suing whoever they felt were libeling them.

2. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

I remember reading about Dr. Hodges' book, A Mother Gone Bad, in one of the tabs during the summer of 1998 and bought it shortly thereafter. As I read it, everything began to click for me. Later, I found even more of Patsy in the note in the way certain letters were formed to express messages that pertained to her.

As far as what he said about Smit in his first book, it is one of the few things with which I disagree. However, overall, I find his theory about Patsy's unspoken fear of her cancer returning being the secondary/pressure cooker motive and her discovery of her husband and daughter engaged in a sexual act as the primary/trigger motive to be the only one that makes any sense to me.

-Tea

3. sboyd

sboyd Member

Thanks for your reply.

4. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Woody probably didn't want to go there. Here is a quote from an article in Court TV's Crime Library: Hodges feels certain that his work will hold up in court as a confirmed scientific method, both under the Frye "general acceptance" and the broader Daubert rulings.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/literary/5.html

Hodges is an Author, Psychiatrist and Forensic Profiler. If sued he most likely has the money to do battle. Steve Thomas lived on a cops salary. He was an easy target for the Ramseys, which is why I believe they sued him and not some of the other people who wrote about them. JMHO

5. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Might be simpler than all that. Hodges never had the files to work from. I think it's altogether possible that Thomas was seen as their key into the inner workings of the investigation, whether they succeeded or not.

6. sboyd

sboyd Member

it is a touchly legal subject. For e.g. the tabloids went all out; The Globe and The Enquiror. They are use to be sued I guess, so no big deal. I know that the case was settled, but I do not know in who's favor. I am assuming the Ramseys. But I don't understand it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice