Comparison of Patsy's "Ramsey" Autograph With Ransom Note "Ramsey"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Luckily for us, a person who lives in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee decided to sell an autographed copy of The Death of Innocence the minute Patsy died. It sold June 27th on Ebay for $180.49 plus $5.00 shipping. The seller included a scanned graphic of the autographed page which includes the signatures of John Ramsey and Patsy Ramsey.

In John's signature, the "Ramsey" surname is indecipherable. If you didn't know his surname was Ramsey, you couldn't tell what it was.

Patsy's signature is very readable, and the "Ramsey" looks familiar. The shape of the letters match the word "Ramsey" found on a campaign sign used in John's recent run for political office ... which helps to confirm that Patsy, an artist and calligrapher, lettered the sign. But more importantly, the "Ramsey" of Patsy's autographed also matches the word "Ramsey" used in the Ransom Note.

The capital "R" has an overhang on the top stroke along with a small gap between the first downward stroke and the overhang. Both capitals also have an ending stroke that goes below the baseline.

The lowercase "s" is identical in position, slant and stroke. Likewise, the lowercase "e" is identical in position to the "s". The slant of the crossing stroke is in linear alignment with the bottom half of the "s" and shows the direction of the writer's stroke pattern.

The lowercase "y" is identical in both the straightness and length of its tail. Because the autograph was done in cursive and the Ransom Note in print, there is understandable variation in the cup of the "y".

The lowercase "m" is identical in position to the lowercase "s" with the two humps of the first letter sitting slightly lower to the starting stroke of the "s". This higher placement of the "s" is seen in Patsy's autograph, the campaign sign AND the ransom note. Because Patsy uses a printed "s" in her cursive signature, she ends the m at the baseline and begins the next letter (s) away from the baseline. In her writing of the word "Ramsey," the beginning stroke is raised a little higher than the top of the previous letter.

Of course, the lowercase "a" is different in the autograph and the Ransom Note, but it has already been discussed many times how Patsy switched from sometimes using a hooded "a" before JonBenet's death to using only a copybook "a" afterwards. I also believe Patsy used the hooded "a" in the Ransom Note to help disguise her handwriting. Many of the hoods look like they were added AFTER the completion of the "a" instead of being part of the beginning stroke of the letter.

The lowercase "a" of Patsy's autograph and the campaign sign are identical in slant and form with an elliptical oval providing the main body of the letter.

Once again, it is not just the forms of the letters which are important. The placement of the letters within a word and their relationship to each other including beginning, ending and cross strokes plus movement along the baseline are also indicators of authorship. Every person has a certain rhythm to their writing, and the directional flow of the pen, including the strokes made in the air, are all a part of our handwriting identity.

Attached Files:

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Boy oh Boy is that gonna be a hard one for the Swamp to spin!

You Rule, Cherokee! Job Well Done! And a HUGE thanks from us all going out to the Smokies!

RR!

3. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Excellent Cherokee

Well Done

Truly one of the gutter's treasured gems!

The swamp will manage to spin this as they always do; they'll say it looks like Fleet White, Santa, Oliva, Helgoth and even Steve Thomas' handwriting imitating Patsy's handwriting

Gee, I thought you knew that!!

4. Elle

Elle Member

Cherokee,

Tell me if this is Patsy signature on this painting, because I didn't think it was.
    I'm being a first class pain-in-the-butt because I swear I saw this painting under another artist's name. Can't find the whole list of paintings I looked at on one of the threads here. However, RiverRat has confirmed it, as you can see, in the Denver Post below, but I couldn't enlarge it. What say you? Then I will give it a rest.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RiverRat
    Sorry, I must have missed that! Here's the link for the article that states that the picture is one of Patsy's.

"Many of Patsy's paintings reflect Charlevoix - the lighthouse, the drawbridge, the striped cabanas lining the beach at the Belvedere Club, vivid floral displays. One beach scene shows a boy and a younger girl, presumed to be Burke and JonBenét, sitting side by side."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4003420?source=rss

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thank you, RiverRat. I have to check this out.:)

I had another web site with umpteen paintings in this exhibition. I'll keep looking for it. What do you think of the signature on this painting?

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Yep, you rock n' roll, Cherokee! After studying your previous work on the ransom note carefully, I recognized the R and y in the signature on the book immediately. Same proportions in both that signature and the ransom note.

Why don't you send THAT to Tom Bennett? Cause I'm sure he's sitting on pins and needles just waiting for that DNA to hit. It'll give him something to file.

But sorry, RR, the swampsters have probably already lined up to state that's JUST HOW they make their R and y! Either that or jams has slammed the coolaide on the table and ordered them to drink! Now! Do I need to even go there?

6. Cookie

Cookie Member

Fyi

I thought you guys would be interested in this photograph of a poster that I took in early 1997. A reporter gave me this poster that was quite weather damaged and it was found stuffed under the outside back staircase of the Ramsey residence. I will try to get the handwriting analysis of this poster as it compares to the ransom note. Obviously, Patsy wrote this poster, but why was it stuffed under a porch?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  7. Aurora

Aurora Member

Tricia

Do you still have a copy of the picture I took of my autographed copy of DOI?

I thought the R in their Ramsey election sign was a perfect match ...too.

8. Cookie

Cookie Member

Cher5okee,

Do you have the full image of the campaign poster?

9. Elle

Elle Member

Cherokee,

You can tell Patsy was into Calligraphy from the Poster signing of Ramsey. I took it myself, and this is the way your taught to write the tails of the letters as you are finishing them off, and when taking Calligraphy, you are taught many different styles. It's very easy to change your own style with an ordinary pen, not necessarily a calligraphy pen.

10. Cherokee

Elle, I definitely think it's Patsy's signature. I've posted a black and white version of Patsy's painting below and turned up the contrast a little so hopefully it's a bit easier to see the signature.

To begin with, there is Patsy's trademark overhang on the capital "P" stroke with the gap between the downstroke and the overhang. The lowercase letters are somewhat squeezed together, but the wide loop of the lowercase "y" is very visible as it comes down below the baseline and finishes her first name before the capital "R" of Ramsey.

The overhang of the capital "R" is very visible as it starts over the top of Patsy's first name right above the lowercase "y". The last stroke of the capital "R" comes down below the baseline (you can see the end of it showing as a small dot in the scan). Then the lowercase "a", "m", "s" and "e" are squeezed together with the "m" being the most visible letter. (The printed "s" and "e" are given very little room.) Next comes the very visible lowercase "y" with another full sweeping loop that doubles back to the baseline and ends the signature.

I don't think there is any doubt it is Patsy's signature. However, if you think you've seen a painting like it by someone else, perhaps Patsy copied the idea from seeing a similar painting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  11. Cherokee

Thanks, Cookie. Here's my copy of the photograph that I used for comparison purposes in my handwriting analysis posted at the top of this forum page. The contrast on yours is much better, so I'm glad to have it.

Attached Files:

12. Cherokee

Yes, Cookie, I do. Here it is.

Attached Files:

13. Cherokee

Here's the lowercase calligraphy "y" comparison from the campaign sign and the "Northwest Territory" sign as taken from my analysis.

Attached Files:

14. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

From the wonderful Ms. Aurora

Attached Files:

15. Cookie

Cookie Member

Cherokee

Patsy loved those exclamation marks! Check out her style with the lower case "th" combination at the beginning of words. She seemed to attached those letters together found in the Northwest poster and the ramson note (words: the, that, them. and think).

Can we get a copy of the entire ransom note for clarification?

16. Cherokee

Oh yes, she did!

That trait, including the spacing of the exclamation mark from the final word in the sentence, is another identifying point of Patsy's written communication. I've posted an example from my analysis below.

I agree. Her "th" combination has consistent attachment in her writing samples with the crossing bar of the "t" usually on an upswing into the beginning stroke of the "h".

There is a copy posted in my analysis at the top of this forum page, but if you want me to post another copy specifically on this thread, let me know.

With the new sample from Aurora, I'll try to get time today to construct a few more graphics illustrating the above referenced features of Patsy's handwriting.

Attached Files:

17. Cookie

Cookie Member

Thanks Cherokee

WOW! What great handwriting samples. Patsy's indentations in her paragraphs and salutations is "so proper." If the ransom note had been written from "individuals that represent a small foreign faction," they would not have given a hoot or even known about indentation.

18. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

All right! Hey, Cherokee! Looks like you've earned your pay for the week!

"I will try to get the handwriting analysis of this poster as it compares to the ransom note."

We'll be waiting!

19. tylin

tylin Banned

Cherokee,
    You've done amazing work. I've been studying your thread about the ransom note...Why is it so easy for me to see who wrote the ransom note?

20. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Maybe.....

It's because you are not related to the Ramseys, any of their attorneys, or the Boulder District Attorney's Office?

RR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice