Grievance of Mary Keenan

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cookie, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

Hear ye, hear ye, the grievance committee at FFJ has begun! I have done research in the Colorado Ethics Manual and will list the rules that our dear and wonderful DA has violated. Back soon! We'll do MK first then Lin Wood.

2. Cookie

Cookie Member

Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct

RULE 1.3- DILIGENCE

"A lawyer shall act with reasonable diligence and promptness in representing a client. A lawyer shall not neglect a legal matter entrusted to that lawyer."

Points to emphasize:

1. What has been done in the Ramsey case since she took office?
    2. What has been done with the runaway juror?

Besides discussing each point, we need written evidence of what she has said in the last 5 years concerning the "ongoing" investigation and information about Court TV, Schiller's show and the infamour juror.

Once you post this information I can print and save a copy for the grievance.

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Rule 3.6 Trial Publicity

A) "A lawyer who is participating or has participated in the investigation or litigation of a matter shall not make an extrajudical statement that a reasonable person would expect to be disseminated by means of public communication if the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that it will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding in the matter."

Points to Emphasize:

1. MK went beyond ethical boundaries in stating her opinion about the plausibility of the Intruder Theory.
    2. She ruined the possible jury pool.
    3. MK made statements prejudical to the administration of justice in an ongoing murder investigation.

We need evidence of things she has said in the press in the last 5 years.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  4. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

What I find unprofessional was her decision to go to the funeral. I can understand the need for *someone* to attend from LE - i.e. to see who turns up etc, but I genuinely think she went as a friend and that to me was way off. IMO, the professional thing for her to have done was make a short statement expressing regret (if that was what she felt) - but then to stay away so as not to be seen to be biased.

How can this woman expect people to take her seriously as the person I/C of the Ramsey case when she has made such a public display of bias towards someone who hasn't been officially cleared of involvement?

5. Cookie

Cookie Member

Rule 3.8 - Special Responsibilities Of A Prosecutor

"The proseucutor in a criminal case shall:

(a), (b), (c), (d)

(e) exercise reasonable care to prevent investigators, law enforcement personnel, employees or other persons assisting or associated with the prosecutor in a criminal case from making an extra-judicial statement that the prosecutor would be prohibited from making un Rule 3.6."

To consider:

1. Lou Smit disclosing Grand Juror infomation of inturder theory.

2. MK endorsing intruder theory.

3. Permitting Grand Juror to talk.

6. Cookie

Cookie Member

Rule 8.4 - Misconduct

"It is professional misconduct for a lawyer to:

(a) violate or attempt to violate the rules of professional conduct, knowingly assist or induce another to do so, or do so through the act of another;

(b),

(c) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation;

(d) engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice;"

To consider:

1. In A, failing to prosecute runaway grand juror, automatically violates rule c and d.

2. In support of the intruder theory, MK violates rule d.

7. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Absolutely right, Jayelles. Not only was it unprofessional, it was unethical. But, what else would one expect from Mary Lacy, advocate for the Ramseys?

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Oh, this is shaping up well!

9. Cookie

Cookie Member

Research

I have researched MK's comments on the internet. I have lots to of info to pour through. I need to work in the darkroom and finish some work. I will be back tomorrow to post.

10. Elle

Elle Member

Not unless D.A. Lacy was sending out a message to everyone, Jay to let them know what her own personal thoughts were, that she supported Patsy and John Ramsey. Not that long ago both the Ramseys walked right into her office to visit her. How many murder suspects does one see visiting a District Attorney's office?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4438155,00.htm

Ramseys meet with Boulder prosecutor
    <!-- article right block -->[​IMG]
    John and Patsy Ramsey met Wednesday with District Attorney Mary Lacy in Boulder.

<!-- article rightblock block -->
    <!-- /story tools -->
    <!-- /article rightblock block --><!-- article rightblock block --><!-- contextual ad --><!-- Vignette V6 Thu Dec 15 13:05:43 2005 --><!-- /contextual ad --><!-- /article rightblock block --><!-- bizzle is one of those ladies -->
    <!-- /article right block --><!-- byline -->By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
    February 3, 2006

<!-- /byline -->John and Patsy Ramsey passed through Boulder on Wednesday and met with District Attorney Mary Lacy to discuss the status of the investigation into the unsolved murder of their 6-year-old daughter, JonBenet. The Ramseys were in the area to visit John Andrew Ramsey, John Ramsey's adult son from his first marriage, according to Lin Wood, the Ramseys' Atlanta-based attorney. The Ramseys also visited with Lacy, who took control of the investigation from the Boulder Police Department in December 2002.

"I'm not talking," Lacy said Thursday.

Wood said he did not know in advance that the meeting was to take place.

"It was partly to say hello, but they also saw it as an opportunity to see if there was anything new (in the investigation)," Wood said.

There wasn't, Wood said, "other than that they (Lacy and the Ramseys) continue to consider the case under active investigation and a case that, in all likelihood, will be solved by the DNA."

Lacy's chief investigator, Jim Kolar, did not sit in on the meeting because of a court appearance.

"I am surprised to learn that they were in Boulder," said former assistant Boulder District Attorney Bill Wise, now retired. "The fact that they met with the district attorney would indicate to me that they were comfortable with the fact that they aren't the focus of the current investigation."

JonBenet was found beaten and strangled with a garrotte in the basement of the Ramseys' home Dec. 26, 1996, about seven hours after Patsy Ramsey reported finding a note demanding $118,000 in ransom.

The Ramseys were declared to be "under the umbrella of suspicion" by Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner, but a 13-month grand jury investigation concluded in October 1999 with no indictments.

Patsy Ramsey, 49, has battled several recurrences of ovarian cancer in the years since her youngest child's death, and her condition last year had many friends concerned about how much longer she could fight the disease. But she has rallied again in recent months.

"It's remarkable," Wood said. "She had such an incredibly difficult first half of 2005. I was very worried about her.

"But she started a new regimen of chemotherapy here in Atlanta, mid-fall, and she has just had a tremendous and positive response to it."

The Ramseys now live in Charlevoix, Mich.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  11. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Don't forget that Keenan REHIRED Smit after he successfully blackmailed Hunter in court to get a copy of the PowerPoint SIGNED OVER TO HIM, and then: 1) went on national TV and displayed much of it to promote the intruder theory; 2) gave copies of it to Ramsey PI Ollie, plus Tracey and jams, all private citizens who shill for the Ramseys; 3) provided copies of the PowerPoint to selected networks producers to air for potentially undisclosed benefit.

And I know one of the canons states that a lawyer must never give the APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY in the practice of law, and Keenan pretty much shot that one down when she toadied up to the Rams/Wood and rehired Smit, then publicly endorsed the OPINION of a Georgia federal judge in a law suit which NEVER went to trial, not to mention, a judge who NEVER saw the case file herself.

And then there's attending the funeral...which falls under that category, as well, as Jayelles stated.

12. Cookie

Cookie Member

Explain

KK,

Please explain to me what the "PowerPoint" is? Did Smit appear on TV and/or support the intruder theory while under the employment of MK? When was Smit rehired and how long was he employed by MK?

13. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Time on my hands and Kennan on my mind...

I emailed my letter to Mary Keenan Lacy yesterday. I mailed a copy to the Police Chief of the Boulder Police Dept. (The letter is posted on the daily.) However, I ended it with the following:

We, the people, demand justice. The buck stops on your desk, Mrs. Lacy. History will be the final judge, and your descendants, no doubt, will formulate opinions, as to your professional career, by the depth and breadth of your commitment to finding justice in the JonBenet Ramsey case. The whole world will be watching and waiting for the steps you take regarding this case.

Sincerely,

Ah well. What the heck! I had some time on my hands, and couldn't think of anything better to do.

14. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Good going Greenie,

You are doing something about this case which is almost hte opposite of what Mrs Lacy is doing. Maybe your letter will give her some backbone who knows? Anyway you did good!

15. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

She's dug her own professional grave.

16. koldkase

The PowerPoint is a slide show, made on cd as a computer programmed presentation of copies of possibly hundreds of crime scene pictures and evidence documents, etc. Smit put this together while under the employ of Alex Hunter, so it's work product. But then Smit quit his job with Hunter, went on a Ramsey vindication tour, armed with his very work product he put together while working for Hunter--and more.

How did Smit manage this? At some point before he quit his job, Smit took the PowerPoint cd he had put together from the case files out of the Da's Office, which then ended up at his home, along with case videos and other materias, etc. When Smit quit, Hunter realized Smit had copies of the PowerPoint and case materials and went to court to compel Smit to return them. Smit refused, countering through his lawyer that not only would he not return them, he was going to tell everyone about Hunter leaking to the tabs, among other things, if Hunter didn't back off, more or less. So Hunter folded, not only allowing Smit to keep a copy of the PowerPoint, but allowing him to "use it however he chose" once the Grand Jury was over, if there was no indictment--and now we know there was no indictment. Hunter signed a document with Smit on this, and all Hunter asked of Smit was that he NEVER REVEAL INFORMATION FROM CONVERSATIONS Smit heard in Hunter's office. And Smit also got to testify for the Grand Jury, which it has been said Smit quit Hunter's employ in the first place because Smit wasn't going to be allowed to testify for the Grand Jury.

Mind you, Smit had signed a contract with Hunter when Smit took the job originally, so what Smit had done and threatend to do were ALREADY illegal. Smit essentially broke his contract and stole case materials from LE, and not only got away with it, but has used that to destroy any hope of there ever being any trial. And THIS is the man KEENAN REHIRED FOR HER INVESTIGATION INTO JONBENET'S MURDER. The very man who personally broke the law and then openly blackmailed his way out of it in his first employment with that office.

I know you think I'm making this up, because even I don't believe this could happen in the American justice system. But I have proof! The documents involved in ALL of this, filed in a CO court, are here:

Smit's employment contract with Hunter, signed 3/17/1997: http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/03171997smitcontract.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Hunter realized after Smit resigned that Smit had the PowerPoint and other case materials at his home, as well as that Smit had in fact been showing them to people not approved by the DA, Hunter filed for injunctive relief to get them back:

You just have to read this. It's as amazing a legal document as I have ever seen. Hunter states Smit pretty much walked away with copies of all the case evidence handled and produced by Boulder LE in this murder case, that Smit broke his contract by sharing that information with people outside the Boulder LE investigation, and that Smit refused to return any of it after resigning. Can you imagine this?

http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/02011999huntervssmit.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But you ain't seen nothing yet: in a news article which began reporting about these events, once the filings and court order were unsealed, we found out that Smit came back at Hunter in a response his lawyer filed, with a blatant attack that stated flat out that Smit witessed Hunter leaking case information to the tabloids and he would tell even more than that if Hunter didn't back off, more or less. We don't have that document online, but part of it was printed in the newspaper report. I'll have to find it again, and if it's not online still, I'm sure several of us have it in our fiiles. I'll have to hunt it down though, and when I get it I'll post it.

But the most remarkable thing is the next document, which is online:

http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/03301999huntervssmit.htm

You can read the whole thing, it's not that long, but here's the gist: Smit not only is given his copy of the PowerPoint, he's given permission to do whatever he chooses with it once the Grand Jury is over. All Hunter asks of Smit is that he keep his mouth shut about what he saw and heard in Hunter's office:

And here, this is what slays me EVERY TIME:

Now read on and you'll see WHY that last part gets to me so much now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think Smit has appeared on TV since he was rehired as a consultant by Keenan, since she took over the case. He has spoken to the press as recently as the last couple of weeks about this case. Keenan has spoken about Smit working for her numerous times in the years since she took over the case. You'd think with Smit's history with Hunter, how Smit stabbed Hunter in the back, broke his signed contract with Hunter, and got the PowerPoint presentation signed over to him, Keenan wouldn't want anything to do with Smit. In any other place but Boulder, Smit would never have been welcomed back into the Boulder DA fold after what he pulled.

I'll have to look up the many references Keenan has made to Smit working for her JB investigation and see what I can find, as they no longer keep those up very long online.

But this PowerPoint stuff doesn't end here. I have other evidence that Keenan's office, knowing that privately made selections of the PowerPoint have been in the public domain for years, compliments of Hunter and Smit, knowing that much of it in fact has appeared on TV, in print, and is now online, knowing this because I provided that information in specific references for Bill Nagle upon his request, refuses to release the PowerPoint upon request and qualification, to other private citizens who should have the same Constitutional rights as Lou Smit. That's why the part of the court ordered agreement between Hunter and Smit irks me so much: the DA has to show compelling evidence to limit SMIT'S freedom of expression?! But according to Keenan's office, they have no problem denying that same freedom to OTHERS!

I even have an email in which Bill Nagle told me that Smit OWNS the POWERPOINT and therefore refused to release a copy to me. That is a blatant lie, IMO. I do not know how that would hold up in court, but I don't live close enough to make that argument against Keenan's office in a hearing. I'm sure they banked on that. But I think it is shameful that public servants in the Boulder DA's Office who have taken an oath to uphold the laws of the Constitution would so shamelessly abuse it to misapply for their own agenda, which has an appearance of aiding the propaganda machine set in motion by the Ramseys' defense attorneys, which has prevented any justice ever being found for a murdered citizen of Colorado.

I think we have ample evidence right here on this forum that we, the public, having been exposed endlessly to Smit's publicity campaign of propaganda using the PowerPoint as well as other materials he obsconded with from the DA's office, have a compelling interest in having the opportunity to decide for ourselves what information, already released to a private citizen with full permission to utilize it for his personal agenda, is being manipulated to shape the public's fears and beliefs regarding a child murderer. Smit himself is the foremost proponent claiming this killer is still at large and a danger to children, compelling the public to search for this unapprehended, violent criminal whom Smit believes lives among us.

It is therefore in the public's interest to evaluate the same information with the same freedom of expression which Smit has enjoyed as a private citizen, with Boulder District Attorney Hunter's permission and Boulder District Attorney Keenan-Lacy's public support, whose freedom of expression was of such concern to the court on March 30, 1999.

Do the people of Boulder care that their DA's Office, under Hunter, paid Smit 60 grand to put together Smit's own private INTRUDER production from the case files of this murder, to be aired only by those TV producers whom Smit selects for personal reasons, with what benefits to Smit we do not know, but from which we do know the networks involved in airing Smit's copy of a large part of the Ramsey case files have financially benefited?

As for Keenan's incautious behavior, her office continues to withhold that same information from the general public, with Keenan giving public statements of support to the press to support Smit's public and legal campaign to prove that an intruder murdered JonBenet Ramsey. The result is that Keenan's behavior has left that same public uneasy in the knowledge that such politics may have resulted in continued danger to the children of this country, with justice no longer blind nor willing to intervene on behalf of the citizens of Colorado.

If one needs any evidence of what Smit's control of the PowerPoint has inspired, then one only needs to see NO LESS THAN THREE DOCUMENTARIES on this case producted by Michael Tracey, who has collaborated with Smit and used the PowerPoint pictures and Smit's theory to sell them to networks internationally. Smit's former employment with DA Hunter to investigate the Ramsey murder, then Hunter's release of the PowerPoint to Smit, a private citizen at that time and since, has been used many times to promote the intruder theory on national and international television. Numerous innocent private citizens have been slandered on those very documentaries as suspects of child molestation and murder. Yet Keenan continues to publicly endorse Smit and represent him as employed by her office in the investigation of the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. Still Smit and his chosen emissaries have remained the sole controlling force behind the public and frequent distribution of crime scene and evidentiary images and information selectively released from the PowerPoint. DA Keenan has sanctioned this censorship with her refusal to release it upon request to other private citizens who have as compelling a reason to be allowed free expression as does Lou Smit.

Also, Michael Tracey is now speaking to the press about a book he is writing on the case. There was an article in the media about this in which he was interviewed. It is rumored he privately has claimed he possesses signed releases for formerly undisclosed case evidence to include in his book. Tracey will profit from his book. Who is signing releases for him to use for the sale and profit of a book on this case? Is that information available to the general public as well?

Larry Schiller has interviewed and interpreted for the public information from the grand jury who investigated this case. Schiller presented one juror on a television program he sold to Court TV. He also appeared on another Court TV show being interviewed, making statements about what the grand jurors told him. We have only Schiller's word what they actually said about the case, and we have only Court TV's edited version of what the one grand juror stated on the air. Does thie press now have permission of the court to interview grand jurors? Or is this more censorship and propaganda being passively or actively supported by DA Keenan for her own personal agenda, which has long become suspect under the extreme circumstances of selective favoritism and disregard for the spirit and letter of the law with which she conducts her office.

When you consider Keenan's cooperation with the demands of Lin Wood, her attendance at Patsy Ramsey's funeral as a personal friend, there can be no question that DA Keenan has long since lost her ability to objectively nvestigate or prosecute the case of the murder of JonBenet Ramsey.

I'll look further for the information to help you out with this, Cookie. If you or Tom can use any of this, please do.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  17. koldkase

This is great, Greenie, I've been festering about some things myself, as you may note. If Cookie can't use it, I may just go ahead and try again on my own. Maybe if enough of us speak up, something will happen.

Or maybe not. But I guess it's time to try...again.

18. koldkase

Cookie, you know about ACR's website, I'm sure:

http://www.acandyrose.com/

You probably have seen a line in the first section of this page that says something like "Let's see what Keenan, Lou, and Ollie have done now that they have charge of the case investigation."

There is a drop box to click, and right there, ACR has neatly laid out for us urls to the various articles about the highlights of case development since 2001. Some articles are no longer available by clicking, but go to the news sites where you can possibly still get them from the archives. I'll see what I can find cached on google, as well.

19. koldkase

Here is a nice one in which Mark Beckner lends a helping hand:

http://www.longmontfyi.com/ramsey/storyDetail03.asp?ID=24

20. koldkase

I know you probably have these, but just in case:

http://www.longmontfyi.com/ramsey/storyDetail03.asp?ID=33

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice