A Perfect Reminder of the Perfect Murder

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Aug 8, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

TheDenverChannel.com

Ramsey Fallout: Police Chief Mounts Letter Campaign
    Fellow Law Enforcment Officers Criticized For Speaking Out

BOULDER, Colo. -- Police Chief Mark Beckner has launched a letter writing war against critics in other police agencies who claim his investigators have ignored evidence that an intruder killed JonBenet Ramsey.

The dispute was triggered after Boulder County Sheriff's Detective Steve Ainsworth and El Paso County Sheriff John Anderson commented on the case on national television and in newspapers over the past two months. Both supported a theory that an intruder killed JonBenet.

Boulder police detectives have been instructed not to cooperate with Ainsworth on any investigation, according to Chief Mark Beckner's letter to Boulder County Sheriff George Epp.

Becker (pictured, left) asked that Ainsworth "be appropriately disciplined for his misconduct" in discussing the case and criticizing the Boulder Police Department's investigation.

Beckner also told Epp that he has asked Louisville police Cmdr. Bill Kingston to remove Ainsworth from the multi-agency task force headed by Kingston, which investigates police shootings in Boulder County. "At the least, Ainsworth will not be allowed to participate in any investigations in Boulder as a member of the county's team that investigates police shootings," Beckner wrote.

Kingston declined to comment on Beckner's letter but said that Ainsworth will remain a member of the shooting investigation team.

Beckner sent the letter after Ainsworth appeared on NBC's "Today" show in early May and endorsed former investigator Lou Smit's theory that an intruder killed JonBenet. In the letter, Beckner reminded Epp of a May 2 meeting of county law enforcement heads, at which Beckner told Epp that he would "probably file a complaint" about the appearance.

Epp, Beckner wrote, said Ainsworth would only "talk about Smit's character." "In fact he spoke very little about Lou Smit, but was instead . . . critical of the BPD, and even expressed his own personal opinion," Beckner wrote.

Ainsworth said on NBC that he has not seen any "compelling" evidence pointing to John and Patsy Ramsey as suspects in their daughter's Dec. 26, 1996, death.

In a June letter, Beckner criticized Anderson for claiming a killer was on the loose in Boulder while police focused their investigation on the Ramseys.

"I am appalled that a police executive would be so outspoken about another agency's ongoing investigation, especially given the fact that you have no involvement in our investigation," Beckner wrote.

Anderson fired back with a letter of his own. He said that he spoke out to support his former homicide partner, Lou Smit, who crafted the intruder theory while working on the investigation. Anderson also offered to send detectives to Boulder to help solve the case.

"It is completely bizarre. This is yet another answer to the perennial Ramsey question, 'What next?"' said Denver attorney Scott Robinson, who has followed the case since the 6-year-old beauty queen was slain in 1996.

Beckner said Monday that police have not ruled out an intruder as the killer. "I think we have said that we find no evidence of a forced entry," he said.

Gov. Bill Owens, in a meeting with the editorial board of The Gazette, recently speculated that Beckner and investigators can disprove the intruder theory but don't want to show their hand prematurely.

"Prosecutors can address everything that Smit has raised that points to an outsider. But if they do that publicly, they tell the person who killed JonBenet what the prosecutor knows," he said. "My concern is what Lou has done is publicize evidence that should have remained private until the trial."
    :dammit:

Owens met with prosecutors and reviewed the evidence not long after taking office in 1999. Smit resigned from the case in 1998, claiming the Ramseys were innocent.

JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her family's home on Dec. 26, 1996, in Boulder. A grand jury examined evidence but disbanded without issuing an indictment. Her parents since have moved to the Atlanta area.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/873432/detail.html

2. RiverRat

"Prosecutors can address everything that Smit has raised that points to an outsider. But if they do that publicly, they tell the person who killed JonBenet what the prosecutor knows," he said. "My concern is what Lou has done is publicize evidence that should have remained private until the trial."

:rage: :nono: :tsktsk: :loser: :unreal: :duh:

Sorry guys.....just can't stomach all the Smit glory much longer. It's just great that a killer is off - and has been off - the streets of Colorado, but Lou Smit still has a long path to walk towards redemption.

RR

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

BAM!!
    Thanks for posting this, RR. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Who knew? Beckner has balls after all.... :punk:

4. Elle

Elle Member

Too bad we can't support Beckner in some way or another (?)

5. RiverRat

Elle - here you go!

Search: The Web Tripod X-Men 3
    Share This Page Report Abuse Build a Site Browse Sites
    « Previous | Top 100 | Next »

He’s focused, goes by the book and manages large-scale
    operations with ease - a man of integrity.
    Please visit our sponsor and the homepage for our recording secretary!

To join Mark Beckner's Fan Club, send a congratulatory message, express interest in Mark Beckner Fan Club apparel or comment on our site, please send us email!

"I am being myself. This is me. You either like me or you don’t. I am not Tom Koby, I am not anybody else. I have not gone back and used hindsight and 20-20 vision and tried to analyze how and why everything was done. Nine weeks ago, I came on this case and I took what was on the plate. My focus has been forward, let’s go forward. This is what we have today, how do we get where we want to be tomorrow?"
    Commander Mark Beckner
    December 5, 1997

Mark Beckner’s wife and two children stood by his side at a noontime press conference, Tuesday, June 23, 1998 as he expressed his feelings on being named Boulder, Colorado’s Director of Police Services.

"I am honored and excited about accepting this position," Beckner said. "I’m not a magician; I don’t have any magic answers. I can’t do it alone. This is going to take teamwork."

"We made sure we had the best of the best," said Dave Rhodes, Acting Boulder City Manager.

Qualified? You Bet!
    Mark’s 20-year career with the Boulder Police Department is impressive

March 1998 Commander, Boulder Police Department Detective Division
    October 1997 Charged with overseeing the investigation into the homicide of JonBenét Ramsey
    May 1994 Promoted to Commander (only one of six in the department)
    May 1994 Watch 2 Patrol Commander
    May 1994 - September 1997 SWAT Commander
    October 1991 - May 1994 Internal Affairs Investigator
    January 1991 - October 1991 Traffic Supervisor
    1989 - 1991 Patrol Division
    January 1987 - January 1989 In charge of the tactical patrol team, handling undercover investigations, bank robberies, criminal trespass cases, drug crimes and burglaries.
    1983 - 1986 Patrol Sergeant, involved in Tactical Field Training
    1983 Promoted to Sergeant
    1981 - 1983 Property Crimes in the detective division
    1978 - 1981 Patrol Officer

Mark Beckner was born and raised in South Bend, Indiana. He realized during his senior year in high school that he wanted to pursue a law enforcement career.

Beckner attended Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan, graduating with a degree in criminal justice in 1978.

Mark is most proud of his ability to maintain his honesty, treat people fairly and make difficult decisions "from a position of calmness" during his 20-year career with the department.

Mark Beckner Quotes

"This is a good team and we’re committed to moving the case forward as best we can."
    October 19, 1997

"I’ve made a decision not to do individual interviews at this point. I don’t have the time - I barely have time to return phone calls."
    December 4, 1997

"Two of my objectives are to keep the team focused and to move the case forward to a point at which a decision can be made. I am very pleased with the progress we have made in meeting those objectives."

"We have an umbrella of suspicion, and people have come and gone under that umbrella of suspicion. They (John and Patsy Ramsey) do remain under an umbrella of suspicion but we’re not ready to name them as suspects."

"The biggest mistake we could make is to rush this thing simply because the public wants to know, the media wants to know, and I understand that. I understand the frustration that’s out there. We want to solve it as well and I’m sure the family wants it to be solved."
    December 5, 1997

"There are still things that can be done and there is still information out there that can be added, and we are going to get it. I am confident of that."
    December 21, 1997

"I am disappointed in the position they (John and Patsy Ramsey) have taken. I expected the Ramseys to agree to another interview because I believed their public and private statements about their desire to do whatever was necessary to help resolve this case. While this development will certainly hinder our investigation, we continue to make progress and will not give up in our efforts to find JonBenèt’s killer. It is even more important now for anyone who has relevant information in this case to come forward and help us resolve this."
    January 16, 1998

"We would still like to talk to them (John and Patsy Ramsey). And I’ll hold the door open to them to do so."
    January 20, 1998

"The message we sent back was, absolutely, we’d be willing to sit down and talk, but we’re not going to chat about the weather. If we can ask questions we have we’re certainly willing to do that. To go out there and only be able to ask certain kinds of questions – although they would be about the case itself – we didn’t see that as being very productive."
    January 27, 1998 commenting on John and Patsy Ramsey’s "offer" to meet privately

"We continue to conduct our investigation with integrity and professionalism in the face of many obstacles…There is absolutely no advantage to me or to the Boulder Police Department to disclose any information regarding the discussion with Mr. Jenkins. In fact, just the opposite. Our need is to interview witnesses in this case. After looking into Mr. Jenkin’s assertion, I am confident that the information did not come from the Boulder Police Department. I have since discovered that there are other sources where the information could have come from. It is unfortunate that unfair accusations continue to be made in this case."

"The focus of this investigation should be on finding the murderer of JonBenét. That is where it will remain for me and my investigators."
    February 19, 1998

"There aren’t any magic bullets in this case"
    March 10, 1998

"The longer we worked on the case, the clearer it became that inactivating the case would not be appropriate. The appropriate step at this time is to ask for a grand jury to assist us in gathering additional admissible evidence."
    March 12, 1998

"The umbrella has gotten smaller."
    March 13, 1998

"I have an idea who did it…There are certainly less people under the umbrella of suspicion now than there were in October. The umbrella is not quite so big."
    June 2, 1998

"…good results on an analysis we’ve been waiting on. We were excited about it. They were some significant results."
    June 3, 1998

What others are saying about Mark Beckner

Boulder Mayor Bob Greenlee calls Beckner "a consummate professional"

Colleagues describe Beckner as a respected administrator who was instrumental in controlling Boulder’s notorious Halloween "Mall Crawl."

"Commander Beckner’s organized and positive approach to the investigation has enhanced our office’s ability to analyze and evaluate the case and eventually take it to the next stage."
    Alex Hunter, Boulder County District Attorney
    December 19, 1997

"He’s an ideal person to manage the rest of the investigation. He’s very experienced and well-rounded. He’s very logical and he’s very accomplished at following through on tasks. He’s a solid manager. I don’t think anyone else could manage this case at this point as well as he could."
    Jim Hughes, Boulder Police Commander
    December 5, 1998

"He’s a person with high integrity. He’s diligent and very competent."
    Bob Sullenberger, Boulder Police Sergeant

"I’ve always known Mark to be very thorough. He’s complete in what he does. He’s also very task-oriented. He’s professional and courteous. I think most of (the officers) around here have respect for (sic) Mark Beckner."
    Kurt Matthews, Boulder Police Sergeant

Comments From Mark Beckner's Biggest Fans...
    The Boulder Daily Camera and Joshua-7 Forum Participants

"I am drinking champagne and dancing on the tables!"
    Mrs. Brady

"I hope there can be a renewed sense of mission, tradition and resolve for the Boulder Police Department with this announcement. This type of difficult crime such as the Ramsey case discussed here can and does happened all over the place, and it usually serves to undo the resources and reputations of the many communities when it strikes, most undeservedly. Here's to the Future! Congrads Chief Beckner!Good Luck!"
    Dr. Who

"Again, my best wishes Chief. Although the world waits and watches, our thoughts, prayers, support, and virtual "thumbs up" are with you. We know you'll do the right thing. Congrats again!"
    tman

"Congratulations, Chief Beckner! Now the town of Boulder will have the leadership needed to become a welcoming, safe, and quaint town, full of warmth and happiness...as was once the case. The University will again be a place parents want to send their children. Boulderites have the potential for living happily·ever·after once he takes care of unfinished business of the office, Hunter permitting."
    bygolly

"Congratulations Beckner!! I have faith he will do his best to see justice is served."
    anne

"Fantastic news.
    Congratulations and best wishes.
    Maybe NOW we're going somewhere! God Speed Mark, with your quest for the perp/s."
    bella

"Best news I've heard in a while now. I don't think there's anyone better suited for the job!"
    anderson

"WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS FOR ALL OF US AND WHAT DISMAL NEWS FOR THE RAMSEYS!!!
    Beckner will do a great job. It is a brilliant move on the part of Boulderites. I am tremendously excited by this wonderful news.
    Congratulations, Chief Beckner!!!!"
    Thinker

"Hip Hip Hooray! Congratulations, Chief Beckner!"
    Catherine

"News of Mark Bechner who now is in charge
    and we may soon meet for the big justice march!
    Watch who is fuzzing and buzzing as busy as bees
    its patsy who nervously paces her knees!
    :) Justice for JonBenét - on its way!
    Sabine is sending a big toast to everyone in celebration of better days to come!
    Congratulations Mark Beckner! "
    tinkerbell

"Great news! Justice for Jon Benet may be ever so close."
    Darla

"Applause! Applause! This is thrilling news! Congratulations to the citizens of Boulder for getting such a wonderful chief of police!"
    Belle

"Congrats, Mark Beckner. The truth will prevail, forever and ever. Justice will be served for JonBenét. God bless all children."
    Hanna

"I think this is a strong statement of support not only for Beckner, but for the direction his investigation has taken since last fall. It certainly appears to reinforce people's confidence in his abilities and what he has already accomplished."
    LizzieB

"Warm congratulations on a well deserved appointment. Sometimes hard work really does pay off."
    Hoping

"You Go Beckner.......!!!
    There WILL Be Justice For You JonBenét..!!
    Soon You Will Fly Free......IMO "
    mee too

"Beckner is an excellent choice for this position and Boulder can be very proud of their new Director of Police Services. He is a very deserving candidate and, I have a feeling, will get BPD back on track. My hearty congratulations go to him."
    Policedog

"Beckner a man of our own ilk!!"
    allipat

"BECKNER--BECKNER--HE'S OUR MAN! This is the greatest news we could have!"
    Panico

"Thank you, Chief Beckner, for restoring hope that this case will be solved!"
    Anastasia

"There is probably more celebration in this forum over Mark Beckner than there will be in the entire city of Boulder.
    Go figure. I'm glad I'm here!"
    starfishinboulder

"MARK BECKNER!!!!!!!!!! THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!
    ANOTHER GIANT STEP TOWARDS JUSTICE IN BOULDER!!!
    We are...Another day closer...
    KimmyAnni

"CONGRATULATIONS CHIEF BECKNER1111I know you will do a good job,and seek Justice for Jonbenet. Once again congatulations! Somebody on this forum drink a glass of champagne for me! I don't have any and after last night I am not leaving my house. "
    Bunnyby

"Dear Chief Beckner:
    This is your moment in the sun. Everything you ever dreamt of being could come to fruition with this assignment. You now have the cloak of authority, in which to turn the tide of indicisiveness, into a rally for justice.
    The choices you make now will determine your mettle; and the international scrutiny of your actions will determine how your obituary will be written.
    I wish you well. Perhaps it will take a rare breed of herorism to solve this case. I, for one, am counting on your integrity and your hunger for justice.
    There are many people on this forum who view your appointment as a major step in the right direction towards a solution to this case.
    God bless you and your family during the weeks and months ahead."
    Greenleaf

"After a VERY long day at work, where I trained a new employee so I couldn't even listen to any Caplis, I come on line and see this GREAT NEWS. Beckner seems to be a good, honest guy who really wants justice for JBR. I also wish the best for him and his family.
    This is certainly a good day for those who want resolution in this case, and also for the tattered reputation of the BPD in general. A serious step in the right direction for a small city that has been run as a small town in the past."
    Byron

"Congratulations, Chief Beckner! You're our kind of guy--just like Gary Cooper in High Noon-- you will face down Haddon and his cadre of liars -- oops, make that LAWYERS-- and you will win!!!"
    LurkerXIV

"Well deserved. May you keep up the good work in the search for truth and justice, and special blessings for your family who will have to adjust & cope with your heavy work load."
    listener

"Commander to Captain in record time - Congratulations, Mark Beckner. I have faith you can do it right."
    jameson ò¿ó

Copyright 1998, Mark Beckner Fan Club
    To join Mark Beckner's Fan Club, send a congratulatory message, express interest in Mark Beckner Fan Club apparel or comment on our site, please send us email!

http://members.tripod.com/BecknerFanClub/

6. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

"Lou Smit still has a long path to walk towards redemption."

And not much time to do it in.

Beckner never took any bs from anyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice