Ramsey suspect expected to fly to U.S. Sunday

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Aug 19, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

The Associated Press

Updated: 8:14 a.m. ET Aug 19, 2006
    BANGKOK, Thailand - The American suspect in the JonBenet Ramsey killing was to fly to the United States on Sunday to face charges of murder, kidnapping and sexual assault of a child, a police official said Saturday.

“The tickets for John Mark Karr’s departure are ready,†Thailand’s immigration police chief, Lt. Gen. Suwat Tumrongsiskul, told reporters. “He is leaving for the United States on Sunday evening.â€

Suwat did not say where or when Karr’s flight from Bangkok would land or the number of U.S. officials who would accompany him. U.S. authorities have said he will be taken to Boulder, Colo., where he will face charges in connection with JonBenet’s death.

A U.S. Embassy official, speaking on condition of anonymity, could not confirm Karr’s departure date, saying that authorities were working through legal paperwork to expedite his deportation.

Karr, 41, remained under detention in Bangkok on Saturday, three days after his stunning claim that he was with the 6-year-old beauty pageant princess when she was killed in her family’s home.

He told reporters he was alone with JonBenet when she died in the basement of her home on Dec. 26, 1996, but that her death was an accident.

“I am so very sorry for what happened to JonBenet,†Karr told The Associated Press on Thursday. “It’s very important for me that everyone knows that I love her very much, that her death was unintentional, that it was an accident.â€

U.S. officials, the only ones to have actually interrogated Karr, have been silent about what he told them, citing his right to privacy and legal procedures.

Change in story
    Immigration police chief Lt. Gen. Suwat Tumrongsiskul changed some details Friday of the account he had given of what Karr told investigators.

In a telephone interview Thursday with The Associated Press, Suwat — who acknowledged that he was not present at the interrogation quoted Karr as saying he had drugged, then sexually assaulted the girl. He also told reporters before a news conference Thursday that Karr had claimed to have picked up JonBenet at her school.

The drugging and school aspects are at odds with what U.S. investigators had previously established about the case.

On Friday, Suwat confirmed to The AP his account of the sexual assault. But asked if Karr gave the girl drugs, Suwat said the suspect described the encounter with JonBenet Ramsey as "a blur."

Denver attorney Larry Pozner, past president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, said there were "serious questions" about the case.

"I hope we have found the murderer of JonBenet, but I have not heard the evidence that compels that conclusion," he said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice