Lawyer says suspect sent notes to JonBenet's mom

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Aug 19, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

BOULDER, Colo. -- Only weeks before she died, police asked JonBenet Ramsey's mother if she would meet with the man now suspected in her daughter's slaying--a schoolteacher whose worshipful notes described an obsession with the 6-year-old beauty queen.

Patsy Ramsey was willing to meet with John Mark Karr, but she died from ovarian cancer in June before investigators went any further, family attorney Lin Wood said Friday. And she never saw the words Karr believed she was reading because his messages were secretly being intercepted by authorities.

"He thought that he was corresponding with Patsy, but he wasn't," Wood told The Associated Press. Police in Roswell, Ga., where Ramsey spent the last days of her life, declined to say if they conducted the correspondence ruse.

Meanwhile, the Rocky Mountain News published excerpts of e-mails Karr sent to a journalism professor that professed Karr's love for JonBenet.

"JonBenet, my love, my life. I love you and shall forever love you," according to an e-mail sent on Dec. 23, 2005, just before the anniversary of the girl's death. "I pray that you can hear my voice calling out to you from my darkness--this darkness that now separates us."

The e-mail asked the professor, Michael Tracey of the University of Colorado, to visit Ramsey's former home in Boulder and read aloud the ode he called "JonBenet, My Love."

"Sometimes little girls are closer to me than with their parents or any other person in their lives. When I refer to myself as JonBenet's Closest, maybe now you understand," he wrote in an another message.

Tracey has produced several documentaries on the Ramsey case. The e-mails between him and Karr were shared with the newspaper by private investigator Ollie Gray.

Gray said he coached Tracey during the e-mail exchange, providing a law-enforcement analysis of the messages and asking questions about Karr's replies. He declined to release more details Friday but said the e-mails suggest to him that Karr is a pedophile--though perhaps not a killer.

Karr, 41, is in a Thailand jail awaiting deportation to face charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping and child sexual assault. He told reporters he was with JonBenet when she died, but that her death was an accident. Her body was found in the Ramseys' Boulder home on Dec. 26, 1996.

Other writings by Karr also drew scrutiny Friday.

Prison guards searched the San Quentin Death Row cell of Polly Klaas' killer, Richard Allen Davis, after learning he may have corresponded with Karr. No letters were found. The 12-year-old girl was kidnapped and murdered in 1993.

The correspondence between Karr and Tracey was voluminous. In other e-mails, Karr said he was under federal investigation for "child murder and child molestation" in four states.

In Washington, federal law-enforcement officials said Karr's comments since his arrest have piqued their interest and they want to question him. Regarding Kerr's purported claims in e-mails that he was under federal investigation for child murder and molestation, one law-enforcement official said "there is no four-state federal case" in which Karr is wanted or even suspected.

In another e-mail, the newspaper reported, Karr said he sympathized with Michael Jackson, who has been accused of molesting young boys.

"I will tell you that I can understand people like Michael Jackson and feel sympathy when he suffers as he has," Karr wrote.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0608190102aug19,1,6705316.story?track=rss

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice