The rising tide of common sense?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by babyboomer, Aug 26, 2006.

1. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

Could it be, can we only hope, that this frenzy of media attention to the very creepy John Mark Karr is shining a new light on a cold case and with it, some of the talking heads are actually making sense??

(I've started a new thread as a place to put these examples. Kinda hard to type with my fingers crossed. Heh heh.)

Nancy Grace on CNN Headline news Friday 15 August, continued (earlier comments by Ed Miller of AMW can be found on the Michael Tracey in a media frenzy thread--- for obvious reasons I put that there and this here.)

transcribed by moi from a recording.

NG: Joining us now chief correspondent from Inside Edition and practicing lawyer, Jim Moret. Jim, what's going to go down in that first court appearance and why do you have to have another court appearance within 72 hrs after that?

JM: It's really a matter of procedure here, Nancy. There's a first court appearance, you make an appearance but the charges themselves don't have to be filed for 72 hrs. For the first appearance really nothing much is going to happen. Perhaps we will see the attorney...We don't even know who this person's attorney is.

And one thing you keep bringing up and it's really important. You play these tapes [the Wendy Hutchens tapes] and these tapes are very disturbing. They are showing a very disturbed individual but one thing that we really haven't seen so far in the Ramsey case is any evidence. And we really have to wait and see. You have to keep an open mind because the DA says they are holding things close to the vest. I haven't seen anything yet nor have you that puts John Karr in Boulder or any physical evidence therefore that links him with this crime. Other than his confession and as you know that's just not going to be enough.

2. Prairie

Prairie Member

One can only hope.

Yesterday (?) one of the heads (Grace?) said that perhaps he got his "confidential information" from Tracey, the internet, the autopsy report, etc. Duh.

3. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Common sense is not a common practice in Boulder. Uncommon sense, otherwise known as unsense, is the common practice in Boulder. Expect the unexpected.

4. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

more...

and typing it in Word, which I wish I had done before!

NG: And to Dr Lawrence Kobilinsky, criminal scientist of John Jay College of Criminal Justice, he’s right [Jim Moret]. The so-called inside information JMK has, for instance, the bracelet, that’s in the autopsy report. Anybody who has a computer can read that. Let’s talk about DNA, Larry. We know that the DNA from her underwear and her fingernail-- for the fingernail specifically was contaminated with the clipper used to take the nails. Inexcusable. Bottom line, can we salvage the DNA?

LK: Well, I think we can, Nancy. Clearly if the clipper had some other source of DNA, that would really make it difficult to interpret the results but the fact of the matter is that the DNA under her nails was degraded and one of the bloodstains on the panties was also degraded. But that other stain, that other blood droplet apparently does have DNA that was typed by the FBI. It was checked on the national database. So there is information there that can be used to determine if it matches JMK’s genetic profile.

NG: The FBI database having what? about 15 million---?

LK: I think it’s closer to about 1.5 million.

NG: But the reality is, Dr Kobilinsky, very often you have, for instance, in multiple rape cases, gang rape cases, or when the victim’s blood and the defendant’s blood had been intermingled at the crime scene, you can isolate DNA, so if you get even a 1 in 100 matchup to JMK, that’s going to speak volumes. Agree or disagree, Craig Silverman/

CS: I agree that they are going to be able to type the DNA. I suspect they have already tested the DNA. …We know that he had the email correspondence with Michael Tracey. that was followed up by a snail mail letter sent from Bangkok, Thailand. That’s how they located him. You can bet that LE took that envelope and the contents of that envelope and scoured every molecule for DNA. Something made Mary lacey sit up straight in her chair and say OMG! Get an investigator to Bangkok. JMK was the followed around for the better part of 7 days. He couldn’t cook in his room, he had to eat out. You could get a discarded napkin, food, utensils and get further DNA. Something caused this arrest. Something caused him to be brought back to Boulder, Colorado. I suspect they already have their evidence and that’s what puts him in Boulder, at 755 15th Street, Boulder.

NG: Joining us, Craig Silverman, former Denver prosecutor and the host of 630 WHOW show

CS: K-HOW.

NG: Oh, okay, thank you. I want to go out to Anne Bremner. Craig Silverman is of the mind, he has told me repeatedly the DA would not fly this guy home from Bangkok unless they’ve got the goods, to question him. Agree or disagree, Anne?

AB: I agree they are not bringing him in to question him but you know right now, Nancy, if he killed JonBenet, I’m Claudia Schiffer. We don’t have anything. And we haven’t had anything in this case for a very long time….He’s criminally creepy but he’s not criminally culpable based on what we know. DNA? Let’s wait and see.

5. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

Now that Cherokee has found and posted the transcript from NG's website (phew! right, Cherokee??) I would like to point people to the various statements made by the THs therein.

Craig Silverman believes that Mary Lacy has to have something concrete. But then again, he says JMK was followed around for 7 days and the truth is, I do believe that there was a FOUR DAY WINDOW between the 11th when JMK was ID'd and the 15th when the warrant was issued (or the whatever that was set in motion to get him from Thailand.)

NG says to Doug Burns that this guy ['s story] has holes so big you could drive a tractor through them.

Doug Burns agrees and says they have to have dramatic, bombshell DNA evidence--- how else could he be brought from around the world?
    But that Christmas is a huge point.

Imagine had JonBenet been killed on say, the 10th of October--- how could the family be believed that they are sure JMK was always with them on the 10th of October...BUT CHRISTMAS??

DB: We don't even know if he was in Colorado!

And Anne Bremner agrees. That if there were a DNA match we would know by now. "Life doesn't imitate art. It imitates bad tv, and that's what this case is right now."

Common sense!! This case is getting doses of common sense!!!
    :toast:

6. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Interesting that on 8/15 Nancy Grace was agreeing that there wasn't any evidence to link Karr to JB's murder. But by 8/25, she was constantly referring to Karr as "the confessed murderer of JonBenet Ramsey." This after her belief that several letters in the ransom note match Karr's handwriting from a 15 year old yearbook.

And Craig Silverman went from being amazed that Lacy would pick Karr up half way round the world for what she calls "exigent circumstances" only while stating that the case is in early stages of investigation, to being so damn sure a week later that Lacy has something powerful for doing it.

All these talking heads blow whichever way the wind blows. It's become so bad it's impossible to disseminate what information is reliable.

7. LIMAMA

LIMAMA Member

Where is the common sense? I love these commentators who agree that there are enough holes in Karr's story to drive a train through--and then they always amend it with a BUT. Why can't they say what most lucid Americans are thinking?

8. tylin

tylin Banned

The talking heads can't say what most lucid American's are thinking because they are afraid they'll be sued by Lin Wood. :censored:

9. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

And remember the old adage ... "controversy sells newspapers"? Karr is controversy in an already bizarre case.

It's all about ratings. If they can keep the pot stirred up with "they said that," "how about this," "secret information," etc. then they get viewers to tune in to their show. People want to know the truth, and the Ramsey case has been intriguing from Day One. The media knows that if there is a blurb about so-and-so is going to have a guest talking about the case, it keeps people from changing the channel or leaving altogether.

So the media doesn't care if it's the truth, and they don't bother to research the facts. All they say is, "let's have the dancing bears and jugglers on to tell what they know about JonBenet, JMK, the DNA, the yearbook "a", the BDA, oh yah-tah-hey! We're making money NOW!"

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  10. tylin

tylin Banned

Cherokee,
    Absolutely! :wave: :yay:

11. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

didn't know where else to post this

NY DAILY NEWS, Sunday 27 Aug 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/447158p-376441c.html

Time in Boulder to turn it over
    By CORKY SIEMASZKO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Sunday, August 27th, 2006

Has a 10-year-old murder mystery been solved or is John Mark Karr the latest dead end in the oft-stymied search for the killer of JonBenet Ramsey?

We could find out this week when prosecutors are expected to finally show some of their cards. Karr has an initial hearing tomorrow before a judge in Boulder, Colo.

District Attorney Mary Lacy, whose predecessor was harshly criticized for botching the initial investigation into the 6-year-old's death, has been careful to divulge little about the case against the creepy ex-schoolteacher.

...the rest at the link
    -------------------------------------

I have sent Corky Siemaszko the following email:

Greetings!
    I was reading your sum-up of the state of the evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey murder and wish to correct something you wrote.

You said: "The ransom note was mysteriously signed 'S.B.T.C.' A Karr classmate in Alabama produced a yearbook n which the suspect wrote the phrase 'Shall Be The Conqueror'."

Technically true, although Karr misspelled conqueror. But your statement by truncating what Karr actually wrote gives it a distorted weight. Karr wrote: "Though deep in the future, MAYBE I SHALL BE THE CONQUERER AND LIVE IN MULTIPLE PEACE."

Karr capitalized all letters in all those words, not the first letters. The phrase is "I shall be the conqueror." ISBTC. What kind of cockamamie acronym is "Shall Be The Conqueror" without a subject. It makes no sense. Nor does "multiple peace" for that matter.

Here's a link to a comparison of the ransom letter and Karr's yearbook writing.
    http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7291

What is more instructive, Mr/Ms Siemaszko, is the very compelling comparison of the ransom letter(Two and a half pages is hardly a note.) and exemplars given by Patsy Ramsey
    http://www.acandyrose.com/02182003dh911motion.pdf

The ransom letter, written on Patsy's paper with Patsy's pen, was created to point suspicion away from the Ramsey family. Why on earth would an intruder want to do that?

And why would a pedophile sneak into a home to snatch a little girl and not take her away? (See Polly Klass, Samantha Runnion, Jessica Lunsford, Elizabeth Smart, Danielle VanDam among others.) What pedophile leaves a LETTER he wrote in the house?

The only entity who logically wanted to point fingers away from the family is, in fact, the family. Add to that the pineapple, the oversized Bloomies and the evasive behavior and inconsistent statements of the parents and you have a whole lot of people who don't believe that John Mark Karr was anywhere near Boulder or JonBenet Ramsey.

I think you meant your report to be impartial, but I don't think it came out that way.
    Here's hoping you dig a bit deeper.
    Regards,

12. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

Silverman ought to be taken out back and summarily SHOT!!!

... for starters, you don't "type" DNA! What kind of lawyer IS this?!!!

Secondly, you CANNOT MATCH DNA samples without sufficient markers! The bloomies DNA is 9 ... NINE markers and a smudge! They are a FULL four markers short of ANYTHING that could be considered a MATCH!

I hate this. Cherokee is dead on target ... Cable Nooze is about controversy and ratings ... and Silverman is a flip-flopping media whore.

...YumYum

13. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Even more maddening than the BS about the underwear DNA "matching" a suspect is the double BS about the fingernail DNA "matching" the underwear DNA. That is just so much crap it makes me want to hurl my monitor through the window.

The so-called fingernail DNA was crap (I love that word). In no way can it be connected to the crime or the underwear DNA, because they were only able to eke out 2 or 3 freaking markers in that degraded gunk. I am assuming they are saying those 2 or 3 markers "matched" two or three markers in the underwear. I realize these people are not Einsteins, but any dumbphuck knows that any two unrelated people could have 2 or 3 DNA markers that are the same. That doesn't make their DNA a match.

If I didn't have to go out an buy new TVs every time some ignorant poop made this ignorant statement, I would park myself in front of the TV and shoot at it every time another crankcase said this.

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

To quote Henry Lee:

This not DNA case. Soup not done. Table with three legs fall over and spill rice. Mary Lacy fortune cookie say: "Better to drive DUI through ten traffic lights than to prosecute John Karr".

:curtsey:

15. Ginja

Ginja Member

Who got to Silverman?

He was always an insider theorist and now he's turned to intruder theorist.

16. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Can you say ... "Lin Wood"?

17. laurapetrie

laurapetrie Member

"The ransom note was mysteriously signed 'S.B.T.C.'..."

Regarding "I Shall Be the Conqueror," that's a very good point about the subject of "I" being missing from the signature. Also the ransom note was signed without a period after the "C", which may or not have any significance at all, but to be accurate, the ransom note was actually signed "S.B.T.C"

If Patsy wrote the note, it's probably just meaningless, random scribbling. I just thought it was possibly significant, considering Cherokee's analysis of the exacting, traditional English style of the note.

I'm a newbie here. I've already had my first thread here deleted! I'm really on your side, guys. Really. I'll be good. I won't bring this up again. So far, I think all the evidence points exactly where you say it does.

18. Elle

Elle Member

Good for you doing the recording BB. You must be a great typist. You did a great job.:)

As I posted before. I think John Mark Karr may be bipolar, but I think Wendy Hutchens is also a sick individual in another way, not necessarily bipolar. She wants paid for her tapes, and like Professor Michael Tracey, is in it for the $$$. I think she led JMK on for the very purpose of doing what she's doing now. Her account will sell Tabloid papers.

19. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Ginja - Who got to Silverman?

I agree completely! Whle he has been an "insider" with the DA's Office, I have always thought he was pretty "level-headed" on the JBR case. I have to wonder if he now knows something we don't know, or has he got the word to "cool it"?

20. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I confess that I thought Silverman and Caplis were deliberately playing opposite opinions for the sake of a balanced and lively debate on their show!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice