Colorado Governor Owens blasts Boulder prosecutor!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Aug 28, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Colorado Gov. Bill Owens ripped the prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case Monday, saying "Mary Lacy should be held accountable for the most extravagant and expensive DNA test in Colorado history."

Owens' criticism of Lacy, the Boulder County district attorney, came shortly after news reports that suspect John Mark Karr's DNA didn't match that found on slain JonBenet Ramsey.

"Unfortunately, the hysterics surrounding John Mark Karr served only to distract Boulder officials from doing their job which should be solving the murder of JonBenet Ramsey," Owens said. "I find it incredible that Boulder authorities wasted thousands of taxpayer dollars to bring Karr to Colorado given such a lack of evidence."

Until now, Owens has been mostly silent on the news that Boulder County was tracking down leads on Karr.

Owens in 1999, his first year in office, was critical of JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey.

"If I could speak to John and Patsy Ramsey, I'd tell them to quit hiding behind their attorneys, quit hiding behind their PR firm, come back to Colorado and work with us to find the killers in this case, no matter where that trail may lead," Owens said at the time.

http://www.shns.com/shns/scrippsnews/index.cfm?action=detail&pk=JONBENET-GOV-08-28-06

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Blasts the Governor

To: Colorado Governor Bill Owens
    TO COLORADO GOV. BILL OWENS TO APPOINT A
    SPECIAL PROSECUTOR TO FINALLY RESOLVE THE QUESTION:
    WHO KILLED JONBENET RAMSEY?
    We believe that justice for JonBenet Ramsey and an end to the doubts surrounding her killing and the embarrassing failure to find her killer can only be achieved through the intervention of Colorado Governor Bill Owens. He can remove JonBenet’s murder investigation from the Boulder District Attorney (BDA), who has failed to take appropriate steps to resolve the matter and appoint an experienced and objective special prosecutor and staff whose subsequent investigation will be unbiased and not influenced by the Ramseys, their attorneys, their hired investigators, or analysts.
    As an Assistant DA assigned to the Ramsey investigation, Keenan expressed her belief that an intruder killed JonBenet and focused her efforts on the Ramseys’ neighbor, Bill McReynolds. Since her election to office, District Attorney Keenan has not involved herself in this case. She has forwarded any actions involving “anything Ramsey†to Assistant DA Bill Nagle. Dissatisfied because the police evidence led to them, the Ramseys’ lawyer, Lin Wood, threatened to sue the Boulder Police Department (BPD) and the City of Boulder if Keenan did not remove the investigation from police hands. Keenan appears to have succumbed to that threat by removing the case from the BPD and assigning it to her only two BDA staff investigators, neither of whom have homicide experience. These are the BDA’s only investigators and are, at the same time, responsible for all other investigations by the BDA. Supplementing her inexperienced and short staff, Keenan hired the Ramseys’ friend, and nationally recognized intruder theorist, Lou Smit.
    Keenan’s refusal to investigate this homicide, or to thoroughly review the police evidence, or to ask for any assistance from experienced professionals was made evident in April 2003 when she endorsed U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes’ opinion that the evidence in a civil libel case pointed to an intruder (which opinion was made without benefit of official investigation evidence collected and analyzed by law enforcement but instead, on unsubstantiated intruder evidence assembled by Lou Smit). "I agree with the court's conclusion," Keenan said, "that the weight of the evidence is more consistent with a theory that an intruder murdered JonBenet than it is with a theory that Mrs. Ramsey did so.â€
    Keenan’s prejudice for an intruder theory, together with:
    · her appearance of surrendering to threats of a lawsuit made by a civil attorney representing the people who are “under the umbrella of suspicionâ€
    · her actions severing the BPD from further involvement
    · her reliance on inexperienced staff
    · her hiring of intruder theorist Lou Smit
    · her biased, public statements
    make clear her refusal to acknowledge the official police evidence in this case and her determination not to pursue that evidence or the suspects to whom it points. In effect, Keenan has set the suspects free. Ramsey attorney Lin Wood sums it up perfectly: Keenan is "making it undisputed that she finds . . . an intruder killed JonBenet.â€

Appearing on Larry King Live on May 28, 2001, Lou Smit stated:
    "I believe that perhaps they should get in fresh minds and fresh eyes, experienced people
    that can take a look at this case with an unbiased view point. That means getting rid of perhaps even the detectives that are working on it now. Getting rid of Lou Smit. Let somebody else in there that can objectively take a look at that case."
    We agree with Mr. Smit: The people of the State of Colorado, JonBenet Ramsey and everyone else concerned about this tragedy need “fresh eyes†and “experienced peopleâ€. We also agree with Lin Wood: Turn the case over to an “unbiased†agency.
    That is why we, the undersigned, set forth our signature herewith in protest to the biased and unprofessional handling of JonBenet’s murder investigation by Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan and her office. We petition Governor Owens, based on the aforementioned facts, to remove this case from the hands of the Boulder District Attorney’s Office. We further petition Governor Owens to assign this matter to an experienced and objective special prosecutor and staff whose subsequent investigation will be unbiased and not influenced by the Ramseys, their attorney, or their private investigators.
    Assigning this matter to a special prosecutor will guarantee professional handling of a homicide investigation free of bias and influence. It will guarantee full-time personnel experienced in homicide investigation and prosecution. It will guarantee resolution. It will guarantee justice for JonBenet Ramsey.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

3. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Now might be the chance we've been looking for!

4. tylin

tylin Banned

whoa...I'm impressed! :bowdown: :thumbsup: :star:

5. RiverRat

6. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I think you're right, Punisher. This has put , dare I say it, egg on the faces of a lot of people, and I'm not talking about FFJ members. This is serious stuff.

Then again, we saw lots of serious stuff go down over the years and nothing...ever...happens/

7. SydneyGAL

SydneyGAL Member

This is great River Rat and now is the best time for this to be successful. How can I add my signature???

SydneyGAL

8. RiverRat

9. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

Will someone please remind me as to who alerted the media first in regards to JMK?

-Tea

10. jimswainbbmc

jimswainbbmc Member

RiverRat -

Do we have a timetable for when this will be submitted to Gov. Owens?

11. SydneyGAL

SydneyGAL Member

12. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I don't think we know for sure.

MSNBC Dan Abrams says he got the story first.

But it's been rumored that Paula Woodward at a Colorado TV Station got the story first.

Some have said John Ramsey called it in. He was on MSNBC pretty quick after the story broke, on the phone, and that's when he said he wasn't going to rush to judgment on Karr...heh.

I did see one report...I think...where it was said Keenan called John early that morning...last Wednesday, was it?

But I haven't seen anyone say exactly who was FIRST, other than Abrams...but I'm not taking his word for anything.

13. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

OMG... I think I am dreaming.

Is there a chance that Lacy might really resign and Owend appoint a real prosecutor?

PINCH ME PLEASE.

14. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

How's this? :poke:

It's STILL Colorado. I am still stunned that they had two defense attorneys who didn't have Karr hanged from the courthouse steps by sunrise.

15. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Trish, we need to update the petition to include Lacy AND Bailin's reliance on Tracy/Smit/St Augustin/Gray for all of this and her inexcusable attendance at Patsy Ramsey's funeral. ALL of that is just SO unprofessional and shows an utter BIAS in favor of the Ramseys. If BPD couldn't do an objective investigation because of a bias against the Ramseys, how could Lacy possibly do an objective investigation with bias toward the Ramseys????? :nuts:

16. amster

amster Member

Well, in the e-mails, Tracey tells Smit that if Lacy doesn't do something, he will call the press. His contacts at CBS and his guy at the Rocky Mt. News, Hartman.

17. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Gov. Owens Blasts Mary Lacy

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4951684,00.html

Owens blasts Boulder County DA
    STORY TOOLS
    Email this story | Print

By Lynn Bartels, Rocky Mountain News
    August 28, 2006
    Gov. Bill Owens ripped the Boulder County district attorney today, saying "Mary Lacy should be held accountable for the most extravagant and expensive DNA test in Colorado history."
    Owens’ statement came shortly after news reports that suspect John Mark Karr’s DNA didn’t match that found on slain JonBenet Ramsey.

"Unfortunately, the hysterics surrounding John Mark Karr served only to distract Boulder officials from doing their job which should be solving the murder of JonBenet Ramsey," Owens said. "I find it incredible that Boulder authorities wasted thousands of taxpayer dollars to bring Karr to Colorado given such a lack of evidence."

Until now, Owens has been mostly silent on the news that Boulder County was tracking down leads on Karr.

Owens in 1999, his first year in office, was critical of JonBenet’s parents, John and Patsy Ramsey.

``If I could speak to John and Patsy Ramsey, I'd tell them to quit hiding behind their attorneys, quit hiding behind their PR firm, come back to Colorado and work with us to find the killers in this case, no matter where that trail may lead,'' Owens said at the time.

18. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

OMG, I just had a look at the petition. There are alot of new comments:

http://www.petitiononline.com/jbr246/petition.html

It's obvious current and previous BDA's are too bias to follow the evidence trail. A special prosecutir with no ties to the Ramseys must be appointed
    1895. James H. Swain I can only hope that the recent developments with John Mark Karr serve to demonstrate how poorly this case is being handled. It is time JonBenet receive the justice she deserves.

1887 i hope patsy ramsey is burning in hell. btw, if wood lays one finger on wendy, i will make sure he is taken out of the "law business" once and for all.

1886. incest in the family is rare, yet still exists in usa (both in rich and poor families),,mary lacey should resign immidiatly and a special prosecutor should be appointed while at the same time making sure the ramsey males do not leave the usa
    1885. l SHAME ON YOU DA! SHAME ON YOU CRAIG SILVERMAN!! SHAME ON YOU COURT TV! SHAME ON YOU JOHN RAMSEY FOR MURDERING YOUR OWN BLOOD 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER 10 YEARS AGO! ARREST HIM ALREADY AND PUT HIM AWAY FOR LIFE!!!

1881. please, let justice prevail and arrest one the REAL criminals behind this tragedy: john ramsey

1876. get the father behind bars before he runs away..dont screw this one up colorado!!

Question for Tricia, can the petition be updated and are we actively seeking additional signatures to possibly send this to Owens? Isn't this his last year in office?

19. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Sabreena, ethically I don't think I can change it unless we start over. We can't change a petition after someone has signed it.

I'm up for the challange..maybe we could present the NEW petition on Colorado on say.....Dec 26th 2006???

20. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

OK, give them the old petition then. I think you'll probably get alot of signatures in the next few weeks.

Have all you newbies signed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice