Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Was Patsy taking Klonopin?

I was reading at Websleuths and one of the posters mentioned some remarks made by Wendy Murphy and it was mentioned that Patsy was taking Klonopin

Is this a fact? Did I miss this? Did I forget this after so many years?

As far as possibly having given Klonopin to JBR (the subject of the discussion), I don't know how much drug testing was done or what if anything can still be done. Sometimes drugs can be found in the hair no matter how long a person is deceased, but I am not sure about substances such as Klonopin.
    PATSY RAMSEY WROTE THE RANSOM NOTE
    SHE WOULDN'T DO THAT FOR AN INTRUDER.
    PLEASE READ CHEROKEE'S ANALYSIS

http://66.98.176.96/~tricia/forums/s...ead.php?t=6404

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    I was reading at Websleuths and one of the posters mentioned some remarks made by Wendy Murphy and it was mentioned that Patsy was taking Klonopin

Is this a fact? Did I miss this? Did I forget this after so many years?
    Yes, this is a fact, as noted in the 1998 interviews.

MIKE KANE: Any other medications along that line that she's taking?

JOHN RAMSEY: No, I don't think --

MIKE KANE: Not now?

JOHN RAMSEY: Well, earlier on, we also took, it was like, I could never have been a doctor.

MIKE KANE: Xanax?

JOHN RAMSEY: No. Klonopin.

MIKE KANE: Klonopin?

JOHN RAMSEY: Klonopin. And that was kind of on an as needed basis for a while. It was kind of a quick, picker upper, I guess.

In addition to that:

JOHN RAMSEY: Well she's on Prozac now, and that's because of JonBenet, but no, I don't think so.

MIKE KANE: Was she ever on any medication at all?

JOHN RAMSEY: I don't think so.

MIKE KANE: Other than Prozac?

JOHN RAMSEY: Oh, during this last period? Well, yeah. She had taken Paxil for a while. They switched her to Prozac, which is similar.

MIKE KANE: I think you said you were taking Paxil --

JOHN RAMSEY: Yeah.

MIKE KANE: -- when you were, and you switched to(INAUDIBLE)?

JOHN RAMSEY: Right. I don't know, Patsy just said she felt better on it, and so I gave it a shot.

MIKE KANE: (INAUDIBLE)? The stuff is expensive?

JOHN RAMSEY: Maybe a little, I don't know. It seems to help, and it's the kind of drug that you can't just quit taking one day. You have to taper off of it. So it's just that if you're taking it and try to get off of it and see how you feels.

Is that drug a picker upper or a go to sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Is that drug a picker upper or a go to sleeper?
    It's actually an anti-seizure medication that can control anxiety as a sort of unplanned side benefit. It will make you drowsy too.

Heymom
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

heymom thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry
    heymom thanks!
    I just read where John thought it was a "picker-upper." No way - if you take it even minimally you are advised not to drive or use machinery. And no doctor would give an upper to a family in heavy grief. It would cause anxiety and agitation and disrupt any sleep they might get.

Heymom, amateur pharmacologist.
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

I believe PR was taking that before the murder - was it because of her cancer treatments?

Anticonvulsants: These drugs, originally developed to help manage seizures, are helpful in relieving cancer-related neuropathic (nerve) pain. Some anticonvulsant medications used for cancer pain management include Neurontin®, Tegretol® and Klonopin®, among others. Side effects can include lowered blood counts, dizziness, blurred vision, and nausea. Anticonvulsants may take some time to reach peak effectiveness. Another medication, baclofen (Lioresol®), which is not an anticonvulsant, is also effective for some people experiencing shooting, stabbing and knife-like neuropathic pain.

http://www.cancer-pain.org/treatments/adjuvant.html
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
    the philosophy which does not laugh,
    and the greatness which does not bow before children.

---Kahlil Gibran---

Quote Originally Posted by Watching You
    Anticonvulsants: These drugs, originally developed to help manage seizures, are helpful in relieving cancer-related neuropathic (nerve) pain. Some anticonvulsant medications used for cancer pain management include Neurontin®, Tegretol® and Klonopin®, among others. Side effects can include lowered blood counts, dizziness, blurred vision, and nausea. Anticonvulsants may take some time to reach peak effectiveness. Another medication, baclofen (Lioresol®), which is not an anticonvulsant, is also effective for some people experiencing shooting, stabbing and knife-like neuropathic pain.

http://www.cancer-pain.org/treatments/adjuvant.html
    Interesting! I never knew of that purpose for Klonopin. What makes that interesting is that John specifically mentions that Patsy had, after her initial chemo treatments, begun to experience that specific symptom, although in his interview he does not make explicit the possibility that Patsy was on Klonopin before JonBenet's death for the neuropathy she was experiencing, and simply never bothered to tell John, as she failed to do with her panic attacks. What John did say was this:

MIKE KANE: Had she had any ancillary effects of that?

JOHN RAMSEY: She lost a lot of feeling in her legs, her feet. All the nerves were killed. Chemotherapy is killing the body, as you well know. And it kills nerve endings. And she still, I don't think, has a lot of feeling in her feet. It's slowly coming back. That's probably the main thing. She still kind of has pain.

MIKE KANE: Any other limitations on her now?

JOHN RAMSEY: No.

MIKE KANE: No lasting effects outside of the neurological?

JOHN RAMSEY: Perhaps. On her body, she has a big scar up and down her chest. I mean you couldn't pay her enough to put a bikini on. But other than that, no.

I take Klonopin for my seizures along with my Topamax. It causes me to be drowsy. It is also given to people for restless leg syndrome.

I thought I'd read it somewhere she was on it before the murder - still reading, looking for the source. Have to go for now - this is on my list to look up cause it's really bugging me.
    Last edited by Cranberry; August 31, 2006, 9:44 am at Thu Aug 31 9:44:17 UTC 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Why_Nut
    Interesting! I never knew of that purpose for Klonopin. What makes that interesting is that John specifically mentions that Patsy had, after her initial chemo treatments, begun to experience that specific symptom, although in his interview he does not make explicit the possibility that Patsy was on Klonopin before JonBenet's death for the neuropathy she was experiencing, and simply never bothered to tell John, as she failed to do with her panic attacks. What John did say was this:

MIKE KANE: Had she had any ancillary effects of that?

JOHN RAMSEY: She lost a lot of feeling in her legs, her feet. All the nerves were killed. Chemotherapy is killing the body, as you well know. And it kills nerve endings. And she still, I don't think, has a lot of feeling in her feet. It's slowly coming back. That's probably the main thing. She still kind of has pain.

MIKE KANE: Any other limitations on her now?

JOHN RAMSEY: No.

MIKE KANE: No lasting effects outside of the neurological?

JOHN RAMSEY: Perhaps. On her body, she has a big scar up and down her chest. I mean you couldn't pay her enough to put a bikini on. But other than that, no.
    Klonopin was just the right medication, then, because it works really well for panic attacks. (Know from my own experience)

Heymom, certified and should not be out alone...