Steve Thomas September Update. A MUST READ!!!!!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by ACandyRose, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

New letter for September 2006 is on the site as of this minute :)

http://www.forstevethomas.com/

====================================

John Mark Karr: Another Wrong Turn

As illustrated in my 1998 resignation letter, I previously had little confidence (now, none) in the Boulder DA’s office ever resolving the Ramsey homicide. If there were any lingering question as to why I departed, I believe the events of the thirteen days in August concerning John Mark Karr simply add an exclamation point to that resignation.

For the past five years, I have not remarked publicly on the case, and for those recent thirteen days, I refrained from commenting on the sensational capture of Karr. After a very public press conference announcing the arrest, District Attorney Mary Lacy deserved the opportunity to proceed judicially with the State’s case against Karr. However skeptical I may have been, I continued to keep an open mind, without comment, to allow her to make her case.

Nevertheless, I fully believed that Lacy had arrested the wrong person. It took only a matter of days for it all to fall apart, very publicly.

I found it entirely inconceivable, however, that the DA would have acted in such a fashion, creating such a global media event, risking such professional embarrassment to herself and her law enforcement colleagues (many with outstanding reputations), only to have returned a suspect from the other side of the planet, without a very persuasive reason for doing so.

I also assumed that Lacy, undoubtedly, must have possessed direct and unassailable evidence connecting Karr to the crime. An arrest of such magnitude would presumably be subsequent to an exhaustive investigative process, in which every aspect of the case is tacked down and then double tacked down. As any investigator knows, there are only three ways to solve a crime: through witnesses, evidence, or confession. Statements are corroborated or contradicted with physical evidence. A nexus is shown between suspect and victim. Timelines and alibis and paper trails are substantiated. Evidence is tested and considered. Incriminating and conflicting statements are catalogued and dissected.

In the end, Mr. Karr couldn’t be placed within missile distance of Boulder that Christmas night. There were no airline manifests showing Karr in-and-out of Colorado, no alibi witnesses contacted, no rental car or credit card receipts, nor was there any evidence suggesting he even knew the victim in 1996 (a video of Karr at the victim’s funeral or a pageant, for example). As it turns out, there was not a single piece of evidence actually putting Karr inside the Ramsey house that night. Perhaps it would have been prudent for the DA to have obtained a sterile DNA sample from Karr in Thailand through legal channels, before parading him back to the United States.

More significantly, why weren’t more substantive and logistical details surrounding the crime asked -- and discussed in specifics -- with Karr, and then independently substantiated, during the ongoing series of dialogue which was being monitored and scripted by the DA’s office?

Undeniably, Karr squarely placed himself as the straw man in the crosshairs of a District Attorney intent on finding an intruder. However, with nothing more than the wildly improbable ramblings of this obviously disturbed individual, the DA acted on an insufficient and incomplete investigation that lacked substance, in extraditing Karr back to America.

More importantly, why didn’t the DA probe harder -- some have questioned Lacy’s grasp of the particulars of the case, as well as her motivations -- as Karr’s story seemed to defy the tenets of time, space, and logic. International exigency and flight-risk can be debated, but this entire scenario has left many in law enforcement collectively shaking their heads. I wonder what the Departments of State, Justice, and Homeland Security are thinking about the actions of the Boulder DA’s office.

I certainly do not fault Lacy for acting on the information. During my tenure in the investigation, detectives ran down many bizarre characters and potential suspects. However, we did it quietly, under the radar, and behind the scenes. I remember investigating one such dangerous, and very sick, pedophile sexual predator in this case, and had he indeed been the killer, then the congratulatory phone calls and press conference could have come after his return to a Boulder jail cell.

The Boulder Police Department, rather blindsided by all of these recent events after being removed from the case in 2002, was not pleased with the DA’s arrest of the wrong person. None of this embarrassment lies at the BPD doorstep, who were neither invited, nor involved, until after-the-fact.

It does, however, leave detectives puzzled as to why the DA chose to act with such a terribly "thin" probable-cause affidavit, given that historically this DA’s office (and Boulder judges) have been quite demanding in their scrutiny of BPD warrants for thoroughness, investigative completeness, and yes, corroboration.

Unfortunately, the DA arrested Karr without first doing the requisite police work. The proverbial cart-before-the-horse resulted in the chaotic wild-goose-chase on an international stage. Many have suggested, myself included, that the DA continues to ill-serve the investigation, and that Lacy’s actions have resulted in her credibility and objectivity being questioned within the law enforcement community.

At the end of this tragic episode, Karr may have strangely gotten what he wanted out of all this. Lacy did not. And the case is no better for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As the 10th anniversary of this tragic and poignant case approaches in December 2006, the death of this child remains yet another unresolved homicide in which the administration of justice is left to God. At least there is consolation in that end.

I truly appreciate all of the support I have received for the past several years. As most of you know I have returned to a much-sought private life, but you are certainly welcome to forward your constructive insights and perspectives on the case to my e-mail link (below).

Sincerely,

Steve Thomas

====================================

2. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

No one could have said it better, and no one deserves that honor. Steve remains the hero of this case IMO.

Never mind that Lacy claims no homicide trial experience and that search and seizure law is not her "forte." Never mind that that stupid explanation apparently has mollified Gov. Owens' initial outrage over Lacy conducting the most expensive DNA test in US history such that he intends no official action against her. Mary Lacy should be home baking cookies, not chairing the most important seat in the Boulder legal system.

And never mind that once again the Boulder Police Department is being dragged through ancient mud as a mere diversionary tactic to get the world's attention off Mary Lacy's ineptitude and Tracy/Smit's frantic and fraudulent continual ID of innocent "intruders."

Never mind that the BDA will never find THE intruder and will never take another look at anyone named Ramsey.

And never mind that JonBenet's right to justice is still unrequited.

But let us ALL mind terribly that the power to remove this case from the Boulder jurisdiction always has been and remains in the hands of the very people who never minded justice for JonBenet.

3. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

I'd like to see Steve's letter in the Ramsey Mountain News...and all the other newspapers too.

Seems like the DA's office always shifts the blame on the BPD, when the DA screws up.

4. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

I think Steve's letter needs to be a stickie! :yay:

5. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Stee, Steve, Steve.....

I am sure that Steve will be able to move forward now with complete vindication and not ever have look back knowing that he did not give all that was within his realm of possibilites. I wish Karena nothing less than the best that she deserves as their world does have a new Baby Girl to protect, love, adore and educate abut the finer things in life such as fishing and making mud pies, and early warnings about the real monsters here on earth, without so much as a worry as her Daddy is a True American Hero.

Bouder may win, no, make that, will win. However, I expect to see every sincere friend here I have had the Blessing to spend over six years with, sitting in the pew next to me as we reap our reward in a brighter light.

6. Show Me

I vote stickie too!

Ahhh... Steve and his wife will enjoy a girl, I have two. Part of the reason I became so interested in this case was seeing my own precious girls and the horrors related to the case.

I could NEVER understand the actions of John and Patsy...they did the opposite of what I and my husband would do if this happened to our child. I can see why Mark Klaas is so angry with the Ramseys not cooperating.

John and Patsy's feelings became more important than swallowing their pride and doing WHATEVER it takes to find the KILLER of their child.

7. Thor

Thor Active Member

Well said Steve, and so very true. You are JonBenet's hero and ours, honey.

8. tylin

tylin Banned

Steve,
    You've written another wonderful letter. FWIW-I just finished rereading your book on the JBR case. Sad isn't it that the Ram's didn't realize how lucky they were to have such a dedicated LE officer on their daughter's case? Then again they knew how dedicated you were and that scared them.
    You've done good Steve and best of luck to you, your wife and your little one. :bow: :yay: :takeabow: :beats: :bowdown:

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

So let it be stickin'...so let it be stuck.... :jumpie: sorry it's so late
    When LimpWood was on LKL the other night he made some crack about Steve that went something like, "I don't know what rock he crawled out from under...." Words to that effect.

There is no doubt, NONE, that Lin Wood is a class-less hick. An affair having, lying for clients, making money off the murder of JonBenet and BRAGGING about it, class-less, smelly, hick. Yes he smells. Kind of a sour milk smell from what I have been told by an ex friend.

I hate even saying Steve's name in the same post as Lin Wood's.

He is repulsive.

I would encourage FFJ members to let Lin Wood and Steve Thomas know what you think of each of them on this thread.

This should be very creative...heh.

10. Show Me

Lin Wood is the King of Krap! (Sorry LKL)Woody spills the most outlandish, ridiculous bullchit on the television, and since no one has stopped this miserable piece of flesh from flapping his gums, TV audiences are undulated with half truths, lies and outright omissions.

Wendy Murphy is right, Woody is a bully.

But then again, money and fame mean more to Woody than justice, and Woody really loves to toot his horn over the fact he made more money off the dead body of a little girl than NY lawyer made in his whole career.

The things that make Woody proud are disgusting.

11. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Mr. Thomas

Thank you for coming out for this occasion, of yet another screw-up by the DA looking for the so-called intruder !

and Wood, you should be ashamed of yourself. You KNOW the Ramseys are guilty of this crime but are to arrogant to fess up that you were and are wrong.

PATSY DID IT PATSY DID IT PATSY DID IT

12. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

In the history of cosmetic surgery have you ever seen a face more loaded with Botox? I swear he has so many Botox treatments.....never mind. can't say it. this is a family forum.

Attached Files:

13. heymom

heymom Member

He has no wrinkles or lines on his face at all, and he has that expressionless Botox Zombie look, all right. How old is he anyway?

Heymom

14. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

"Every unpunished murder takes away something from the security of every man's life." Daniel Webster

I wish all the best to Steve and his family. His actions have been observed and criticized by many but there is no doubt in my mind that his passionate desire for justice for one little girl will always be remembered. To stand up and be the voice of reason takes tremendous courage. He alone stood in JonBenét's corner.

15. Chebrock

Chebrock Member

An Honorable Man

Dear Steve,

Thank you for making a public statement on this most sad case. It must have been difficult to step out of your private life and expose yourself once again to the continuing lies regurgitated by the Ramsey's attorney. I (we) appreciate everything you've done to bring justice to JonBenet and hope that someday your hard work will be recognized by bringing her remaining killer to justice.

You have maintained your dignity through all the lies and destructive statements and that is very difficult to do. It speaks volumes toward your excellent character and self confidence. You are not hiding behind lawyers when you speak out because you have the truth behind everything you say.

Thank you, Steve, for staying above the fray.

Not just an opinion!

16. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

"Lin Wood is the King of Krap! (Sorry LKL)Woody spills the most outlandish, ridiculous bullchit on the television, and since no one has stopped this miserable piece of flesh from flapping his gums, TV audiences are undulated with half truths, lies and outright omissions.

Wendy Murphy is right, Woody is a bully.

But then again, money and fame mean more to Woody than justice, and Woody really loves to toot his horn over the fact he made more money off the dead body of a little girl than NY lawyer made in his whole career.

The things that make Woody proud are disgusting."

I'd spit in his eye if he were here now! I'd lay his face open and let him bleed Botox!

17. Elle

Elle Member

A wonderful letter, Steve, I agree with everything you have stated in it. There were never any lingering questions for me, I knew what you had to put up with, and no one could fault you for leaving the Boulder Police Department, the way it was being run. D.A. Alex Hunter let you down badly, and he should have been replaced back then. Just being a poster on the FFJ board, and having to read how they were operating was frustrating enough for me, let alone someone like yourself working under such trying circumstances.

I am glad you had the sense to leave back then, but I am pleased to see you speaking out against D.A. Keenan Lacey, because I know you know what you're talking about. Lacy doesn't seem to have a clue, as to what she's doing, and did her best to clear herself, at the recent press conference, with four silent henchmen standing behind her. How can anyone come out on top, when they associate with the likes of Professor Michael Tracey and Lou Smit? Absolutely impossible!

Good luck with whatever else you have in mind in relation to all of the above ?).

The sooner D.A. Keenan is replaced, with another more intelligent person, the quicker we might have justice for JonBenét Ramsey.

18. tylin

tylin Banned

;)

:thumbsup: No wonder I like this place so much.

Lin Wood,
    What exactly did the Ram's offer you so you'd represent them?
    Were you offered fame, fortune, or were you promised some type of political future?
    How much did the Ram's pay you to cover their azzes for 10 years?
    Is money worth more to you than the life of an innocent little girl who was BRUTALLY murdered and sexually assaulted in her own home between the late hours of Christmas and Dec 26th?

YOU, Lin Wood, should be ashamed of yourself for representing murdering parents. YOU should be ashamed of yourself for obstructing justice. Yep, IMO that's exactly what you've done. You should be ashamed of yourself for the nasty, ***** things you've said about Steve Thomas, Tricia and a host of others.

19. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Thanks for your letter Steve,

and thanks for what you did to help bring some justice for JonBenet. You tried but were stopped it seems at every turn. You had no support and yet you stood alone. Thank you for all of that.

L Wood hitched his wagon to the only two people on this planet who know what happened to JonBenet that horrible night when she died. He has continued to defend them and has made lots of money doing so. He brags about it even. I believe he has done much damage to this case.

20. Spade

Spade Member

Tricia

"In the history of cosmetic surgery have you ever seen a face more loaded with Botox? I swear he has so many Botox treatments.....never mind. can't say it. this is a family forum."

A law firm defending its client against one of LinWad's shakedown schemes did an extensive investigation into his past. One of his ex-wives' comments indicates your worst dreams are true.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice