Report: CU Professor Has History Of False Leads In Ramsey Case

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Show Me, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9775406/detail.html

The story of the earlier false lead orchestrated by Tracey has largely been ignored in the Colorado media.

Sorry I like this quote from channel 7 news in Denver....had to put it first. And of course our beloved Tricia was quoted!!!!

----------

DENVER -- The recent focus by Boulder authorities on John Mark Karr as a suspect in the unsolved slaying of JonBenet Ramsey wasn't the first time that University of Colorado Professor Michael Tracey has given authorities a red herring in the case.

A Florida weekly newspaper recently reported that the CU journalism professor fingered another "prime suspect" in the case two years ago in a documentary he produced on the subject called "Who Killed the Pageant Queen?"

In a story written by Tony Ortega, The Broward-Palm Beach New Times reported that Tracey was "considered a notorious developer of false leads" by Internet sleuths investigating the JonBenet Ramsey case. The New Times is a sister publication of Denver's Westword, which linked to the article on its Web site.

In the 2004 documentary, Tracey identified a suspect in the Ramsey case -- although not by name. The documentary aired in the United Kingdom but not in the United States. It showed a police report that was traced to John Steven Gigax by an alert viewer who captured a screen grab of the report and looked up the visible arrest number that was shown on the page.

Just like Karr was discounted, further investigation revealed that Gigax was not in Colorado at the time JonBenet was killed. Gigax was in Indiana on the day of the murder.

Boulder District Attorney Marcy Lacy told reporters earlier that as many as 160 suspects had been investigated and discounted by authorities during the 10 years since the Boulder slaying. Karr came to investigator's attention after corresponding with Tracey about the case.

"If you know the case and you watch Tracey's documentaries, they're filled with blatant lies. It's so easily proven," Tricia Griffith told New Times. She has since become a vocal critic of Tracey and his investigative reporting.

In the documentary, Tracey claimed to have "stunning new evidence" that was leading police to a previously unidentified "prime suspect." The suspect turned out to be Gigax, based on the police report shown during the documentary.

Tracey claimed in the documentary that the suspect had gone underground and was "untraceable." The woman who found his name on the police report easily found Gigax after a quick search of Google. Boulder police had discounted the 2004 claim that Gigax was being sought as a suspect in the case. That made Tracey's suspect claims 0 for 2. The story of the earlier false lead orchestrated by Tracey has largely been ignored in the Colorado media.

The recent focus on John Karr was also the result of investigative work by Tracey and was also proven to be a false lead.

Tracey is working on a book about the 10-year-old investigation, according to a CU spokesman. He also is planning to write and produce one or two television documentaries, in addition to the three he released earlier on the case.

Done RiverRat...

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

This is what I like to see! Finally....

3. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

"Tracey is working on a book about the 10-year-old investigation, according to a CU spokesman. He also is planning to write and produce one or two television documentaries, in addition to the three he released earlier on the case."

I AM HANDING IN MY 2 WEEK NOTICE. NOW.

4. Show Me

No you're not young lady!

Geeee Channel 7 had the cajones to TELL what the heck the great nutty professor's other documentaries were about!

My hat off to Channel 7 News in Denver!

Finally reporters who have done their homework!

5. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Well if he makes his documentaries in the UK first, .... I'll be waiting with interest to see how accurate they are.

6. Show Me

hahaha...I'd not want to be Tracey with Alert Viewer watching me!

7. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Trust me - I will use a fine tooth comb. I will be looking for spin and inaccurate reporting. His fact-finders better be on the ball!

8. Masker

Masker Member

John Ferrugia is an investigative reporter for Channel 7. Maybe he finally took the bait since Boyles was giving him such a hard time. Go Peter!

9. Show Me

At least investigate the story and not rely on the Ramsey spin team with the puppet DA leading the pack.

Really someone needs to let the truth be known, the BPD has been blasted forever and can't fight back.

Support the cops!

10. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Yay!

Go, Tricia!

"If you know the case and you watch Tracey's documentaries, they're filled with blatant lies. It's so easily proven," Tricia Griffith told New Times. She has since become a vocal critic of Tracey and his investigative reporting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice