Human Remains Found in Lake Buchanan

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", Sep 6, 2006.

1. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Have not found a link but this has been on the local news this evening. Human remains have been found in Lake Buchanan, a lake approximately 30 miles West of the North Lake subdivision in Georgetown. At this time they have not even identified these remains as male or female but I am sure the Cooke family is on pins and needles and will be until the remains are identified.

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Prayers go out to them while they wait!

3. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

How sad, prayers for them.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Please keep us informed, JR. The Cooke family holds a special place at FFJ and in all our hearts.

5. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Low lake level reveals human remains

11:32 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 6, 2006

KVUE News

Investigators in Burnet County are looking for answers following a gruesome discovery along Lake Buchanan.

KVUE Online Video

KVUE's report
    A woman found bones along the shoreline Tuesday afternoon near County Road 137 near Burnet.

The sheriff's department and Texas Rangers are investigating.

Authorities say the remains appear to be those of an adult not a child, but it's not clear if it's a man or a woman.

An investigator with the Burnet County Sheriff's Department says they've seen many things surface from the lake because of low water levels but nothing like this.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/090606kvuebones-gv.71e133cf.html

6. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Human Remains Found At Lake Buchanan

Sep 6, 2006 04:19 PM CDT

Human remains surprised a person riding a Jet Ski on Lake Buchanan Tuesday. Lake Buchanan is northwest of Austin.

Just before noon, the passerby noticed the remains on the east side, near where RM 2341 and County Road 137 intersect.

Investigators say it's likely the receding lake levels revealed the remains, and it's too early to tell whether foul play is involved. All they can tell at this point is that the remains are possibly of an adult. They'll take them to the Travis County Medical Examiner in the morning for testing.

"We will be using DNA, dental records, things of this nature to identify the remains. We will work with the Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse. And we'll work with other law enforcement," Burnet County Sheriff's Capt. Charlie Boyce said.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5371896

7. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Tonight's news stated that the remains were actually in a barrel with concrete and that the barrel had rusted enough that the lid had probably rusted away. As the lake water receded the barrel and remains became visible. There should be a news update on line tomorrow with this information.

8. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Human Remains Found On Lake Buchanan

(CBS 42) BURNET COUNTY Human remains were discovered in Burnet County on Lake Buchanan Tuesday.

A witness operating a person water craft on the lake made the discovery.

The Burnet County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Rangers responded to the scene and are investigation.

The remains are believed to be of an adult. No other information is available, according to the sheriff’s office.

According to authorities, the remains were encased in a 55 gallon drum, sealed with concrete.

The investigation is ongoing.

http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_249220029.html

9. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Human Remains Found At Lake Buchanan

A Hill Country investigation has revealed what sounds more like a movie script than real life Wednesday. The bizarre details are part of the Burnet County case on some human remains found Tuesday.

KXAN NBC Austin was first on the scene after the remains were discovered along the eastern shore of Lake Buchanan in Burnet County.

A day after human remains were found along Lake Buchanan's shoreline, there was a stunning revelation as more details were released.

"They were encased in a 55-gallon barrel along with some concrete inside the barrel," investigator Denton Wills said.

An out-of-town jet skier had alerted investigators after seen the barrel, which was exposed by low lake levels.

The metal barrel was rusted enough that investigators could see that there were bones inside.

The sheriff's office says a preliminary autopsy has not yet revealed if this was a man or woman, how long the body in the barrel was submerged or a cause of death.

"This investigation is going to be conducted as a homicide investigation until we can prove otherwise," Burnet County Sheriff's Capt. Charlie Boyce said.

More tests will get done and other law enforcement agencies will be contacted about missing persons cases as the Burnet Sheriff's office continue to investigate an unusual set of circumstances.

"Those are things you see in movies or read in books, not something you see on an everyday basis, not even in a century or something," Wills said.

Part of the tests on the remains will include DNA analysis.

The sheriff's office also says it will contact the Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse as part of its investigation.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5371896

10. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

And yet previously invesigators said it was too early to tell if foul play was involved...wtf?

11. Watching You

Well, Freebird, I think it would be kind of difficult for anyone to crawl into a barrel, close the top, and throw him/herself and the barrel into the lake. Seems if that person were bent on committing suicide by barrel-in-lake, he would have needed a little help, if ya' know what I mean.

12. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

LOL, yeah and yet their investigators needed some time to decide if some foul play was involved. It's not looking good for this investigation./eyeroll

13. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

It's clear to me a lot is not being said about this find. In fact, some of the local news stations have yet to post anything on-line and there has been a delay from the time this is hitting the air to the time I am able to find it on-line, with no updates in between.

Aside from that, it irks the h*ll out of me that the arrests of the UT players and whether or not they will get to play in the UT/Ohio State game has taken precedence over the fact that human remains have been found. Yes, we do take our football seriously folks but come on....

Not going to waste a new post on Fox news - the late comers in getting something on-line about this find so here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.fox7.com/default2.htm

14. Watching You

J_R, on my Google Earth it shows a good-sized lake north-west of Georgetown. That's the only lake I can see. Is that the right lake?

15. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Have never used Google Earth but the lake is slightly NW of Georgetown so most likely but here is a mapquest map that should make it easier. The start point is roughly the where the Cooke home was and the end point is the town of Burnet where the lake is. ...And yes, there is a lot of wide open country in between.

Attached Files:

16. Watching You

That's where the google earth shows the lake, J_R, so it must be the same one.

I feel so bad that the Cookes have to go through this terrible time. Please tell them they are in my thoughts and prayers, and thank you for keeping us informed on these updates. Whether this turns out to be their daughter Rachel or not, I know it's got to be a heartbreaking experience for them.

17. VP

VP Member

Praying for the cookes

I saw this on the news and my first thought was that it could be Rachel. I don't know whether to pray it is her or to pray that it is not her. I don't know how I'd feel if it were my daughter missing all this time. I'll just pray for strength for the Cooke family.

18. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Search Continues Near Site Where Human Remains Found

Sep 7, 2006 04:38 PM CDT

DPS dive crews have returned to Lake Buchanan in Burnet County where skeletal remains were discovered earlier this week.

Thursday, investigators say they found more human remains, along with evidence that may help this case.

The search at the lake continued Thursday after a Jet Skier found a steel barrel filled with concrete and the bones earlier this week.

The divers combed an area where that barrel was found, for about an hour Thursday afternoon.

DNA tests are still pending on these remains.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5379437

19. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

That's good news for the family of this missing person one would think/hope. Hopefully, it means whoever did this isn't going to get away with it.

20. Wind_Walker

Wind_Walker Member

Looking at the map displayed, Lake Buchanan is not on this map. It is actually west of the town of Burnet. Lake Georgetown is displayed on this map, with Lake Buchanan being larger and deeper. Living in the county the Cooke family lives, I was thinking at least it wasn't Williamson County SO then I read the asinine statement about the homicide investigation and I have thought better of it. At least the Texas Department of Public Safety is doing the diving, looking for more evidence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice