Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unhappy

It's clear to me a lot is not being said about this find. In fact, some of the local news stations have yet to post anything on-line and there has been a delay from the time this is hitting the air to the time I am able to find it on-line, with no updates in between.

Aside from that, it irks the h*ll out of me that the arrests of the UT players and whether or not they will get to play in the UT/Ohio State game has taken precedence over the fact that human remains have been found. Yes, we do take our football seriously folks but come on....

Not going to waste a new post on Fox news - the late comers in getting something on-line about this find so here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.fox7.com/default2.htm
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

J_R, on my Google Earth it shows a good-sized lake north-west of Georgetown. That's the only lake I can see. Is that the right lake?
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
    the philosophy which does not laugh,
    and the greatness which does not bow before children.

---Kahlil Gibran---

Quote Originally Posted by Watching You
    J_R, on my Google Earth it shows a good-sized lake north-west of Georgetown. That's the only lake I can see. Is that the right lake?
    Have never used Google Earth but the lake is slightly NW of Georgetown so most likely but here is a mapquest map that should make it easier. The start point is roughly the where the Cooke home was and the end point is the town of Burnet where the lake is. ...And yes, there is a lot of wide open country in between.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

That's where the google earth shows the lake, J_R, so it must be the same one.

I feel so bad that the Cookes have to go through this terrible time. Please tell them they are in my thoughts and prayers, and thank you for keeping us informed on these updates. Whether this turns out to be their daughter Rachel or not, I know it's got to be a heartbreaking experience for them.

---Kahlil Gibran---

Default Praying for the cookes

I saw this on the news and my first thought was that it could be Rachel. I don't know whether to pray it is her or to pray that it is not her. I don't know how I'd feel if it were my daughter missing all this time. I'll just pray for strength for the Cooke family.
    "The pedigree of honey
    Does not concern the bee,
    A clover, at any time, to him,
    is aristocracy."
    Emily Dickinson.

Default Search Continues Near Site Where Human Remains Found

Sep 7, 2006 04:38 PM CDT

DPS dive crews have returned to Lake Buchanan in Burnet County where skeletal remains were discovered earlier this week.

Thursday, investigators say they found more human remains, along with evidence that may help this case.

The search at the lake continued Thursday after a Jet Skier found a steel barrel filled with concrete and the bones earlier this week.

The divers combed an area where that barrel was found, for about an hour Thursday afternoon.

DNA tests are still pending on these remains.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5379437

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by J_R

Thursday, investigators say they found more human remains, along with evidence that may help this case.
    That's good news for the family of this missing person one would think/hope. Hopefully, it means whoever did this isn't going to get away with it.

Looking at the map displayed, Lake Buchanan is not on this map. It is actually west of the town of Burnet. Lake Georgetown is displayed on this map, with Lake Buchanan being larger and deeper. Living in the county the Cooke family lives, I was thinking at least it wasn't Williamson County SO then I read the asinine statement about the homicide investigation and I have thought better of it. At least the Texas Department of Public Safety is doing the diving, looking for more evidence.

Is Lake Buchanan sort of weird shaped? The lake I saw on Google Earth is real curvy in several places and didn't seem very wide, but it may have just been a perspective problem on my part.

---Kahlil Gibran---

I am too new to this forum to understand how to paste a picture here. Lake Buchanan can be seen @ http://www.highlandlakes.com/lakebuchanan. It is the first lake in a series of lakes that are created by damning the Colorado River. Due to a rather severe drought here, all of the area lakes are way down. This has led to discoveries of fossils and the barrel in question. My understanding from the news is the barrel was discovered on the east central side of the lake.

In my previous post, I stated I did not know how to insert an image. I apparently discovered how and did not know it until the thread was posted.

Here is a map of the area with Lake Buchanan. The lake is really west of the city of Burnet. I hope this helps you find it on Google Earth.