Rocky Mountain News - "You'll laugh, you'll cry at Mary Lacy show"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_4955339,00.html

You'll laugh, you'll cry at Mary Lacy show

By Bill Johnson
    August 30, 2006

I will not say "I told you so," because smugness is unbecoming of anyone.
    And I swear to goodness this right here is not laughing, because it is also such an unbecoming thing to do while witnessing a woman's political and professional credibility crumbling at her feet.

OK, I'm lying. I'm laughing.

Hell, call me smug, too.

See, I've never been to law school, the police academy - prosecuted anyone. But c'mon, even I knew from Day One that John Mark Karr was a whacked out, delusional nut case seeking fame the minute I saw and heard him confessing to killing JonBenet Ramsey.

Not Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy, though.

Since not one of the 21 seats she set up for her Tuesday news conference with the media had my name on it, I didn't get to ask the one question I know I'd have singsonged to her:

"Just what were you thinking?"

It is just as well, because right in the middle of her media mea culpa, I started to feel a little sorry for Mary Lacy.

It is the exact same thing I feel whenever I witness friends upbraid their child for doing something so outstandingly knuckleheaded that you privately root for the kid to completely nail the alibi.

I'll wager a dollar to a doughnut Mary Lacy got not an hour of sleep Monday night for trying to concoct a decent alibi, or because she spent it chewing out some subordinate's backside. And maybe someone feeling as I did, watching her flail, tried to bail her out by pulling that fire alarm.

The thing is, I don't want to ever feel sorry for any prosecutor. I've known and covered a couple dozen of them.

Their stock-in-trade, I've found, always is fear. They try to appear as these wide-eyed, scanning, tenacious, fact-sniffing bulldogs incapable of being tossed off the scent of guilt that leads directly to a perpetrator's incarceration or back pocket, depending on the crime.

The good ones never go to trial because they've got you this and that way to Sunday by the time they even think of telling the cops to slap on the cuffs.

Yet here, on Tuesday, we had Mary Lacy basically saying, well, I believed that nut case.

There, too, was Mary Lacy talking about public safety. Yet the only possible breech of public safety was represented by a little girl in Thailand that John Mark Karr was about to teach.

Yes, as if the Thai police actually needed a reason to arrest someone, particularly a man that a U.S. prosecutor telephoned to warn them about, that he might be dangerous.

The more I listened, the angrier I got. Laughter was no longer an option.

No, Mary Lacy actually WANTED to believe John Mark Karr killed JonBenet Ramsey. Maybe he provided fulfillment of the graveside promise she'd made to Patsy Ramsey when she spent her own money to attend Ramsey's funeral earlier this year.

She planted investigators inside the man's Bangkok apartment building to listen in on him, to trail him and swab his bicycle for a DNA sample, which she said on Tuesday came back as an inconclusive match.

All she had, she acknowledged, were his words in e-mails and phone calls, passed along by a university professor, with Karr openly seeking a book deal.

Never mind that everything John Mark Karr said and wrote, which she presumably was planning to present as evidence, was readily available in the public domain to anyone with both the time and delusional fascination to submerge themselves in the killing.

Mary Lacy, though, bit.

And she pulled the rest of us along.

Forget and dismiss all the talk you hear of the media whipping the John Mark Karr silliness to a frenzy. That all we want to do is sell papers.

No, at the end of the day, all of us - whether we work in the media, trade stocks or drive a bus or truck - simply want justice for that little girl.

Our emotions and hopes were dashed, too.

"I should be held accountable," Mary Lacy said at her press gathering on Tuesday.

Indeed, Ms. Lacy, you are being held to account. And that you are is not funny or pitiable.

Let's say you slap the cuffs on the real killer tomorrow - let's say such a thing were to happen.

Exactly what do you figure the odds are - that come the trial - he or she walks?

Bill Johnson's column appears Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Call him at 303-954-2763 or e-mail him at johnsonw@RockyMountainNews.com.

2. tylin

tylin Banned

Good editorial. :toast: :scale:

And no truer words were ever spoken.

3. sue

sue Member

::yes::
    exactly

4. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

There won't be genuine Justice for JonBenet ... or ANYONE ELSE ... until incompetence and corruption is eliminated from the Boulder DA's Office.

Great find, Cherokee. WE ALL owe this guy an email.

SUPPORT JUSTICE ... USE your EMAIL!!!

...YumYum

5. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Thanks Cherokee,

great article! :thumbsup:

6. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Lots of people asking questions! Let's pray they keep it up and dump Lacy's azz and Tracey loses his get-rich-scheme book deal.

7. Cherokee

I agree, YumYum. We need to let Bill Johnson know he's has support for speaking out. He will receive tons of hate mail and criticism. He needs to know there are others who think the way he does, and who want the lid on the corruption and incompetence in Boulder blown sky high!

8. Cherokee

Bumping up because I forgot to say you can also leave comments on this story, and that we need to support Bill Johnson because he's taking flak for telling the truth! Let's let him know we're behind him, and that he doesn't have to back down.

Tricia - have you written to, or spoken with, Bill Johnson yet? He seems to be a lone voice of sanity at the Rocky Mountain News.

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

No, I haven't but I will though. I'll do it now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice