September 11, 2006

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by wombat, Sep 11, 2006.

1. wombat

wombat Member

Wishing peace to the murder victims from five years ago today.

:cand:

I am glad I know all of you here at FFJ. Have a good day, everyone.

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Thank you for starting this thread, wombat.

It's a gloomy, dark day here, quite unlike that day five years ago when the sky was bright blue and the sun was shining. Last night, I watched on TV some of the children who lost their fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters on 9/11. It was a sobering reminder of the long-reaching effects of that day.

3. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

This morning in Manhattan is very reminiscent of five years ago-- bright blue sky, clear and crisp. I was downtown and I remember so distinctly looking up at the towers and thinking how beautifully the early morning light glinted off them and how they dominated the area.
    The rest of the morning unfolded in a very surreal way--- I saw them burning. I saw the north tower come down. I still can't believe what I saw with my own eyes.
    And I will never forget.

4. Watching You

I won't forget, either, babyboomer. It was bad enough watching it unfold on TV. I can't imagine having been there and seen it first hand.

I stood in a hallway with students and professors, watching a couple of TV's a Tech Services technician had wheeled into the hallway so we could watch. Everyone was in shock. Nobody spoke, but tears ran down many faces, including mine, when those towers fell.

What a horrible day that was. Those people who were trapped in the tower never had a chance. It was a hurt I don't think America will ever get over - at least, not in my lifetime.

5. Carol

Carol Member

You're so right, babyboomer. It is very reminiscent of the weather we had on 9/11/2001. I worked in the World Financial Center, directly behind the Trade Center. But I took a vacation day that day. I'm grateful I missed that horrible experience. My thoughts and prayers are with those who died and their families.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

I was with friends..... :grouphug:

7. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

My son was 5. We were watching when the second plane hit.

Later that day he drew a picture of the two towers. Instead of colapsing he had them bend like Gumby would. Then he showed the firefighters leading everyone to safety.

I still have that picture of course.

We lost people we knew that day.

8. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

I got this in my email....

TWO THOUSAND ONE, NINE ELEVEN (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
    Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
    As they pass through the gate,
    Thousands more appear in wait
    A bearded man with stovepipe hat
    Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"

They settle down in seats of clouds
    A man named Martin shouts out proud
    "I have a dream!" and once he did
    The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
    Others in khaki, and green then say
    "We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
    The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear
    "The only thing we have to fear.
    The Newcomer said, "We know the rest,
    Trust us sir, we've passed that test."

"Courage doesn't hide in caves
    You can't bury freedom, in a grave,"
    The Newcomers had heard this voice before
    A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannisport shores

A silence fell within the mist
    Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
    Meant time had come for her to say
    What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus that day

"Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
    Watched our children play in sports
    Worked our gardens, sang our songs
    Went to church and clipped coupons
    We smiled, we laughed, we cried, we fought
    Unlike you, great we're not"

The tall man in the stovepipe hat
    Stood and said, "Don't talk like that!
    Look at your country, look and see
    You died for freedom, just like me"

Then, before them all appeared a scene
    Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
    Death, destruction, smoke and dust
    And people working just 'cause they must

Hauling ash, lifting stones,
    Knee deep in hell, but not alone
    "Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
    Side by side helping their fellow man!"

So said Martin, as he watched the scene
    "Even from nightmares, can be born a dream."

Down below three firemen raised
    The colors high into ashen haze
    The soldiers above had seen it before
    On Iwo Jima back in '45

The man on sticks studied everything closely
    Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly
    "I see pain, I see tears,
    I see sorrow -- but I don't see fear."

"You left behind husbands and wives
    Daughters and sons and so many lives
    Are suffering now because of this wrong
    But look very closely. You're not really gone.

All of those people, even those who've never met you
    All of their lives, they'll never forget you
    Don't you see what has happened?
    Don't you see what you've done?
    You've brought them together, together as one.

With that the man in the stovepipe hat said
    "Take my hand," and from there he led
    Three thousand plus heroes, Newcomers to heaven
    On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven

Author UNKNOWN

9. Watching You

I can hardly speak, Freebird.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

What we saw five years ago today, and what we can never forget ...

Attached Files:

11. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Today we remember ...

Attached Files:

12. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

God bless the firefighters who were able to rescue thousands and thousands in NYC and Wash DC that fateful day.

-Tea

13. heymom

heymom Member

May God bless all of the family members of people who perished that awful day. May God bless the United States.

I am watching the replay of the Today show. It's so awful and I wish we could watch it every day, so we won't forget. EVER.

:rwbcand:

Heymom

14. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I can still remember it clearly as if it was yesterday.

15. heymom

heymom Member

BTW, thank you to the person who provided the gif of the red, white and blue candles.

Heymom

16. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Today was a tough day! I remember seeing the smoke from my office in Brooklyn, panicked staff running to my office to tell me what happened, and frantically calling my daughter who worked on 14th St at Union Square. She and her co workers watched by the windows that faced the towers and they helplessly watched as they saw the second plane headed for the tower and there was just nothing they could do but watch horrified, screaming and crying.

As fate would have it and I am overwhelmingly grateful, my daughter had left her job at Cantor Fitzgerald the previous year for the one she was at when it happened. Her previous co workers perished and it was just an awful time. I am blessed that nobody in my immediate family died that day and, like the rest of the country and the world, was just beyond devastated for the families of those victims.

Today I reported for JURY DUTY of all things on 9/11. There were police and uniformed law enforcement absolutely everywhere, heightened because the Court District is huge and security is high everyday, so you can imagine how it was today. It was sad to see the flags everywhere and the coverage and patriotism, bringing back the sadness, but I watch the specials, have all the photo books, I even bought the WTC coins from the Franklin or Danbury mint. I have my share of memorabilia lol, but I am personally better for still being so emotional on 9/11.

We should never forget

My heartfelt sympathy and prayers for all the victims and their loved ones, wishing you peace with every day

17. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

My heart goes out to you who were there. It was awful for all of us, but seeing it there must have been even worse.

There simply are no words to describe how terrible this day is in our history.

18. heymom

heymom Member

Oh my gosh, Barbara. I can't imagine your daughter's horror and shock to know that all of her friends and co-workers died in such a horrible way. I didn't see the 2nd plane hit live, by the time I got home it was already over, but I did watch each tower fall. At that point my life and my soul changed forever. As did every soul in this country. Our lives may not look that different, but we can never return to that day before 9/11...I have a pain in my heart that will never ever heal. I have a grim determination to do whatever it takes to make sure our enemies never win. I'm not a police officer, nor a member of the military. But I'm an American, through and through. And we will never be defeated.

But I know I don't need to tell you that. You are a New Yorker! :rwbcand:

Heymom

19. Elle

Elle Member

Your young son will never forget this scene, Tricia. Does he ever talk about it or say anything with the news going on about it right now?

We saw the plane hitting the second tower too. We could not believe what we were seeing. The whole worlld was watching this.

My husband was telling me about a show he was watching this morning, about the firefighter who was taking photographs of new recruits in training in his unit, in one of the tower buildings, when all the commotion started, and he still kept his camera running, as his unit went to help. They couldn't see or know what we were all watching on TV when the news was on, that a plane was heading for the second tower. Apparently the situation was hopeless for them to help because of the smoke. None of his squad were injured, but 350 firefighters lost their lives. I felt very sad hearing this story.

Who would have ever thought something like this could have happened, plus the plane that went down in Pennsylvania, with people phoning their families for the last time.

I'm sorry you lost people you knew, Tricia, and for all others here who lost someone. I hope your young son doesn't see anything like this ever again.

Barbara, I'm sorry your daughter lost some of her friends, and I'm glad you still have her.

20. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

I will never forget that day (or night as it was here). I am a very proud Australian but I have an undying gratitude to America for saving us in WWII and for being our strongest friend and ally. I felt incredible pain watching what happened to you all that day. It's etched on my mind forever.

I was at home, lying in bed at around 10pm, watching an episode of The West Wing. I had flicked channels in the commercial break and saw the first tower burning. Momentarily I was confused and honestly thought that I was still watching The West Wing. I thought I had shut my eyes, drifted off and missed a bit of the storyline. I thought as many others did, that the first hit was an accident. Not long after I watched the second plane hit and I knew then it was a terrorist attack. I cried and stayed up all that night watching the TV. I didn't want to go to work the next morning.

In the subsequent days and weeks I saw incredible bravery and heroism and even today, five years later, watching any news story about 9/11 makes me choke up.

I just want to salute all of you today and say how much I think of you all.

God Bless America!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice