Rocky Mountain News - Defense of Tracey/Says Tracey was ethical

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS AT THE FOLLOWING OPINION PAGE OR E-MAIL DAVE KOPEL AT THE E-MAIL ADDRESS LISTED BELOW THE ARTICLE. MR. KOPEL OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS ABOUT MICHAEL TRACEY.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion_columnists/article/0,2777,DRMN_23972_4979334,00.html

Kopel: CU prof ethical in dealings with law

By Dave Kopel
    September 9, 2006

Is Michael Tracey unethical? According to the Associated Press, he may be, but I think that the complaints against Tracey are nonsense, and reflect much of what is wrong with the media these days.
    Tracey, you will recall, is a communications professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. For a couple of years, he was my counterpart in this On the Media column.

Tracey's global claim to fame, however, is his investigation of the JonBenet Ramsey murder case. Over a four-year period, an anonymous e-mailer, later revealed to be John Mark Karr, began corresponding with Tracey. Eventually, Karr confessed, in gruesome detail, to killing JonBenet, and also stated that he was currently molesting a young girl in Thailand. Tracey shared the correspondence with law enforcement, and the information led to Karr's arrest.

On Sept. 1, the Boulder Daily Camera ran an Associated Press story that questioned whether Tracey had violated journalistic ethics. According to the expert academics quoted in the article, if Tracey is a journalist, then he may have acted unethically. The AP summarized: "As a journalist, the educators said, Tracey could be expected to avoid close collaboration with investigators to maintain his independence, except in exceptional circumstances."

Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy called Tracey "a journalist," and so did Rocky Mountain News editor and publisher John Temple, in his blog. Tracey, however, is a full-time university professor, with no column for the News. He describes himself as an academic, not a journalist, although he does sometimes make documentary films. But let's suppose that Tracey were instead a full-time employee of the News, with no academic affiliation.

[SNIP]

Dave Kopel is research director at the Independence Institute, an attorney and author of 10 books. He can be reached at davekopel@RockyMountainNews.com.

2. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Ok, I sent my email. I hope others will do the same.

What in the HELL is in the water in Boulder?

3. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Now it's the ethical police.

Suppose that a Denver reporter had discovered the Mexican hideout of accused cop-killer Raul Gomez-Garcia. The reporter could maintain his independence by writing a front-page story disclosing Gomez-Garcia's location; tipped off by the story, the fugitive would likely be long gone by the time the police arrived. Alternatively, the reporter could do what Tracey did - help the police apprehend the suspected killer.

The latter course of action is what an ethical human being would do, and journalists should act like ethical humans. As long as the journalist properly discloses how he had cooperated with the police, his actions would be commendable rather than unethical.

Cute how he changes "accused" to "suspected," how he compares a play-like chance discovery to a real four-year relationship, not to mention how he equates a "reporter" to a UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR and Karr to a COP-KILLER.

4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I am a huge admirer of Michael Tracey. When I think ethical, I think Michael Tracey.

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I am, too, Bob. I'd like to write a book about Michael Tracey's ethics. He's a shining example of all things ethical.

6. Cherokee

I'd like to write a book about Mary Lacy. She's an idiot savant! She's brilliant! She's the Einstein of DAs everywhere! She's the poster child for MENSA! The glorious sun shines out of Mary Lacy's nose!!!

7. Elle

Elle Member

Who do you see as the chosen one (lawyer) defending Professor Michael Tracey Cherokee? Lin Wood?

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Yeah, he's a monument to all things right and just!

9. Cherokee

Elle, I have no idea. I think it might look a little too cozy for the Ram's lawyer to defend Tracey.

But FIRST, we have to get Tracey indicted for something! Considering the the past, and present, Boulder mentality ... they'll erect a statue to Tracey, not put him on trial. :mad:

10. Spade

Spade Member

Lacy/Keenan's nose

Cherokee posted: "I'd like to write a book about Mary Lacy. She's an idiot savant! She's brilliant! She's the Einstein of DAs everywhere! She's the poster child for MENSA! The glorious sun shines out of Mary Lacy's nose!!!"

Alex Hunter and Bill Wise's noses may have provided Haddon with the wedge to force a fix. However, unlike Lacy it was what was going in...not shining out.

11. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

The next intruder did it.

12. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Well, you're half right! :crosseyed

13. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

:rotfl: :floor:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice